Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Oh so this is just a straight remake of the first - with the 4th directive right loving there. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Will he arrest Michael Keaton? NO ONE KNOWS!

I don't understand. In the original, the fourth directive is presented in the same way until Murphy goes to arrest the VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Ammanas posted:

The 4th directive is to ASSASSINATE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!! PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AGirlWonder posted:

I don't understand. In the original, the fourth directive is presented in the same way until Murphy goes to arrest the VP.

Which means there is no mystery to this movie - nothing new to see here, it's the same poo poo updated with a garbage skin.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vintersorg posted:

Which means there is no mystery to this movie - nothing new to see here, it's the same poo poo updated with a garbage skin.

It's a poster.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Vintersorg posted:

I guess it also gives away that the film features some kind of 'robot cop', just like the first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know what it is about Robocop that makes people froth about being a rehash when literally every trailer has shown that they are intentionally going in a different direction from the first film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Minus the 4th directive which is to shutdown when arresting an employee of OCP.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Ammanas posted:

The 4th directive is to ASSASSINATE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!

ManchurianCop

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vintersorg posted:

Minus the 4th directive which is to shutdown when arresting an employee of OCP.

Both versions of Dawn of the Dead feature zombies, therefore they are exactly the same film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

computer parts posted:

Both versions of Dawn of the Dead feature zombies, therefore they are exactly the same film.

Thankfully that movie turned out ok but all signs point to this being a pile of trash.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That's what everyone said about Dredd.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If the movie is that loving good I'll go every week.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

If the movie is that loving good I'll go every week.

:toxx:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

morestuff posted:

It's a poster.

If this poster originally came up at SXSW, what are the chances this was a Mondo poster that made the big time?

There's so much wrong about it that it either feels like some made this without complete knowledge of the new film so they filled in those blanks by going back to the source material. Or it's a cynical ploy to appeal to the original film's fans by including the fourth prime directive and the Auto-9.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vagabundo posted:

They're obviously cars for ants.

How do they expect to teach people to drive, if they can't even fit inside the cars?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How do they expect to teach people to drive, if they can't even fit inside the cars?

Can't the ants just use bulimia to figure out what their instructors want them to do behind the wheel?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Young Freud posted:

If this poster originally came up at SXSW, what are the chances this was a Mondo poster that made the big time?

There's so much wrong about it that it either feels like some made this without complete knowledge of the new film so they filled in those blanks by going back to the source material. Or it's a cynical ploy to appeal to the original film's fans by including the fourth prime directive and the Auto-9.

Making sweeping judgements about it because the poster features two elements that could very easily be in the actual movie just seems weird.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

morestuff posted:

Making sweeping judgements about it because the poster features two elements that could very easily be in the actual movie just seems weird.

Why is it weird? If they had a shot of RoboCop using the Auto-9 in the new film, don't you think they'd use in the trailers that to cater to the original's fans?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marketing Robocop as a toy seems to be a major element of the movie.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Vintersorg posted:

Thankfully that movie turned out ok but all signs point to this being a pile of trash.

What are these "all signs?"

The cast? The director? The social commentary that we've seen in the trailer? The trailer itself?

Because all of those point to it being fantastic.

There are few people on the planet who are bigger fans of the original Robocop than me, but I'm pretty excited for the possibilities I've been seeing in "all [the] signs" I've seen so far.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
People, gently caress, it's obviously not going to be avante-garde cinema or have any sort of historical impact on the medium or on society but it's going to be a fun action movie about a robot man that fights crime. Stop judging it for what it never intended to be and just enjoy your popcorn movie, Jesus Christ almighty.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I think it says a lot about how cloistered the Robocop fanbase is that I've seen it probably 6 or 7 times, had a poster of it hanging, still cite it as one of my favorites, and I have no clue what an Auto-9 is. Some of y'all are sweating a trailer's "fan service" to a committed fanbase of maybe ten thousand worldwide.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's just like the original Robocop that people try to make into some cultural phenomenon with a huge impact or something. See also: Gremlins 2.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

People, gently caress, it's obviously not going to be avante-garde cinema or have any sort of historical impact on the medium or on society but it's going to be a fun action movie about a robot man that fights crime. Stop judging it for what it never intended to be and just enjoy your popcorn movie, Jesus Christ almighty.

gently caress you, I'm going to judge it the worst movie I've ever seen before seeing it and there's nothing you can do about it, you bastard.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ammanas posted:

The 4th directive is to ASSASSINATE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!

That robocop imax poster is pretty cool, but I thought imax stopped doing posters?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
poo poo no, IMAX posters are really all that's left to look forward to from the marketing industry. The Catching Fire IMAX poster was awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Robocop remake looks like the best Kamen Rider movie ever, so I might see it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Geekboy posted:

What are these "all signs?"

The cast? The director? The social commentary that we've seen in the trailer? The trailer itself?

Because all of those point to it being fantastic.

What is this, opposite day? The art direction, costume design, casting, and terrible trailers are pretty clear. This is going to be a sterilized focus-tested pile of garbage. Hot garbage.

Blatantly stolen garbage, too, though I suppose you could call it 'thematically inspired' by the last few year's blockbusters its obviously failed to ape.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

effectual posted:

That robocop imax poster is pretty cool, but I thought imax stopped doing posters?

I think they stopped giving them out. But I'm not sure. I could've sworn that Riddick was one of their last and final posters.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Hey speaking of the Hunger Games posters, this just landed:

At least they're keeping with the unimaginative theme.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Slim Killington posted:

Hey speaking of the Hunger Games posters, this just landed:

At least they're keeping with the unimaginative theme.

For the last movie, the posters after the teaser were phenomenal. Hopefully they keep that up.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Ammanas posted:

The 4th directive is to ASSASSINATE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!! STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE!!!!!

Don't pretend you wouldn't watch it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
On the back of the Declaration of Independence there's a code revealing a secret fifth directive.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

On the back of the Declaration of Independence there's a code revealing a secret fifth directive.

To travel forward in time and even the score against the Terminators.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vargo posted:

Don't pretend you wouldn't watch it.

Only if it can be a RoboCop/Nicholas Cage movie cross over.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Slim Killington posted:

Only if they have those giant Terminator skull space ships.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CelticPredator posted:

I think they stopped giving them out. But I'm not sure. I could've sworn that Riddick was one of their last and final posters.

Yeah, this is all correct. Riddick was the last one they made to give out. They're still making the IMAX posters, but they're for just that: advertising the movie in an IMAX theater. A few movies had IMAX posters that they didn't give out, like the Gravity one where it's just Sandra Bullock floating in blackness.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

LeJackal posted:

What is this, opposite day? The art direction, costume design, casting, and terrible trailers are pretty clear. This is going to be a sterilized focus-tested pile of garbage. Hot garbage.

Blatantly stolen garbage, too, though I suppose you could call it 'thematically inspired' by the last few year's blockbusters its obviously failed to ape.

You don't think that's maybe part of the point? The trailer has more than one scene devoted to them talking about trying to make their walking abomination against god almighty more marketable. The first scene of the trailer asks why America is so "robo-phobic."

Don't be dense.

I have written thousands of words about Robocop (literally), have seen it enough times that I can recite every line of dialogue along with the movie, and even have a squirt gun that's a giant orange replica in a box at my parents house somewhere and I couldn't have told you what that gun was called.

edit --

I am literally watching my new 4K Restoration Blu-Ray right now.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 22, 2014

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Geekboy posted:

I have written thousands of words about Robocop (literally), have seen it enough times that I can recite every line of dialogue along with the movie, and even have a squirt gun that's a giant orange replica in a box at my parents house somewhere and I couldn't have told you what that gun was called.

Amateur, I have a metal replica of the Auto-9. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Slim Killington posted: