Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Last night I decided to get into the FZR600 and see what main jets the PO put in it when he "jetted it for the Vance/Hines Slip-on". A two-stroke friend of mine helped me out and found the stock jet size/charts/etc. and we agreed that, if done correctly, there should be 105 main jets installed. There was! Also, this bike is so clean it's ridiculous. While in there, we found that the airbox was barely even connected to the carbs, which could explain my slightly high idle.

TL;DR I just broke my carb cherry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

apseudonym posted:

After finally getting it fixed I dropped a screw from my fairing and it didn't fall out the bottom of the bike. I have no idea where that fucker went. :suicide:

I've done it a few times and resigned myself to the bolt being gone, only to find it stuck in a corner somewhere later on.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

nsaP posted:

I've done it a few times and resigned myself to the bolt being gone, only to find it stuck in a corner somewhere later on.

Yeah that is probably what I'm going to do. What's the best place to go for new screws? Home Depot tends to fail me when it comes to metric sizes.

Tried to start it up today but the battery was super weak, probably from all the tries starting it yesterday. Throwing it on the charger and hopefully this adventure will be done and I can do what I actually needed to do (pads/tires)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lowes around me usually has what I'm looking for or something close. One of the bolts I lost was a washer head metric bolt and they didn't have the washer head bolt but they did have a bolt with the right threads and size and I just got some washers too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fastenal has every possible size of metric screw, and if you don't have a physical store nearby the online shipping is quite fast and pretty cheap.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I changed my oil today! I did not, however, learn my lesson with regard to putting my flashlight down in road salt and then picking it up and putting it in my mouth. Gotta be more careful about that.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Last night I decided to get into the FZR600 and see what main jets the PO put in it when he "jetted it for the Vance/Hines Slip-on". A two-stroke friend of mine helped me out and found the stock jet size/charts/etc. and we agreed that, if done correctly, there should be 105 main jets installed. There was! Also, this bike is so clean it's ridiculous. While in there, we found that the airbox was barely even connected to the carbs, which could explain my slightly high idle.

TL;DR I just broke my carb cherry.

From what I've read, the airbox slipping off the carbs is kind of common on the FZR. Seems like the fix is to put a slice of foam between the box and the faux fuel tank cover to hold it down.
That's weird there is a 105 in your carbs. My FSM and my carbs say a 107.5 main is stock. I've got a Yosh slip on that I've adapted from some random bike and I'm going to leave the jetting stock and see what happens. I still haven't ever ridden it (I got it as a rolling pile of poo poo with all of the bolt on bits in multiple boxes with multiple hundreds of black widows). Hopefully soon.

EDIT: Reading in the manual a bit more it seems that the stock jets for a CA model bike are 105s. Is your bike a CA model with the EXUP valve and all of the emissions gear?

EDIT EDIT: I just remembered that I have a set of (what looks to be) Progressive springs that came out of my forks. If you're interested, they and the preload spacers are yours for cheap. No idea what the spring rate is but probably quite a bit stiffer than stock ones.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 13, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

apseudonym posted:

After finally getting it fixed I dropped a screw from my fairing and it didn't fall out the bottom of the bike. I have no idea where that fucker went. :suicide:

Check your rear tire :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can get 'motorcycle bolt kits' or something similar to that off ebay and lots of retailers. Having a nice selection of stuff is pretty useful and cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Time to build a sweet cafe racer:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

Time to build a sweet cafe racer:

If that's a K5 CB750, don't gently caress it up, it's almost a rideable bike. There is no fix for the heavy rear end throttle, yw.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's a 73 CB500 or 550, actually. I'm thinking, tiny bikini fairing, fiberglass tail, maybe some period correct tires, and boom, 5k bike to some hipster.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

It's a 73 CB500 or 550, actually. I'm thinking, tiny bikini fairing, fiberglass tail, maybe some period correct tires, and boom, 5k bike to some hipster.

buy an aluminum tail strip the tank down to bare metal, get creative with the lettering, put some kind of logo on it, and you could tour as a custom bike builder and make it big on all the blogs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

buy an aluminum tail strip the tank down to bare metal, get creative with the lettering, put some kind of logo on it, and you could tour as a custom bike builder and make it big on all the blogs.

Genius doing this and taking all the credit for thinking it up myself.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Genius doing this and taking all the credit for thinking it up myself.

Quoting this for future blackmail reference.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Bugdrvr posted:

From what I've read, the airbox slipping off the carbs is kind of common on the FZR. Seems like the fix is to put a slice of foam between the box and the faux fuel tank cover to hold it down.
That's weird there is a 105 in your carbs. My FSM and my carbs say a 107.5 main is stock. I've got a Yosh slip on that I've adapted from some random bike and I'm going to leave the jetting stock and see what happens. I still haven't ever ridden it (I got it as a rolling pile of poo poo with all of the bolt on bits in multiple boxes with multiple hundreds of black widows). Hopefully soon.

EDIT: Reading in the manual a bit more it seems that the stock jets for a CA model bike are 105s. Is your bike a CA model with the EXUP valve and all of the emissions gear?

EDIT EDIT: I just remembered that I have a set of (what looks to be) Progressive springs that came out of my forks. If you're interested, they and the preload spacers are yours for cheap. No idea what the spring rate is but probably quite a bit stiffer than stock ones.

Regarding the jetting: We found the jetting chart and came up with a correction factor of .98, which is where we got to the 105 jet. It's not a California model.

My bike was actually pretty well setup by the previous owner:
Emulators in the front and stiffer springs (supposedly sprung for a 200+lb rider, so it rides a little harsh).
I also have a nice Penske on the rear. :) Thanks for the offer though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

You are a terrible person. Post the results ITT.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

apseudonym posted:

Yeah that is probably what I'm going to do. What's the best place to go for new screws? Home Depot tends to fail me when it comes to metric sizes.

In the case of random nuts and bolts the smaller the chain the better. Ace Hardware typically has aisles of nuts, bolts, washers, in all sizes and finishes both metric and SAE. If you have one of those or an honest to god mom and pop hardware store near you it's worth a drop by.

Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes all suck as far as selection goes... at least near me. The closest Ace to me just closed so I'll probably be ordering from McMaster Carr a lot more in the future. They ship really fast at least.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Regarding the jetting: We found the jetting chart and came up with a correction factor of .98, which is where we got to the 105 jet. It's not a California model.

My bike was actually pretty well setup by the previous owner:
Emulators in the front and stiffer springs (supposedly sprung for a 200+lb rider, so it rides a little harsh).
I also have a nice Penske on the rear. :) Thanks for the offer though.

Ah cool. I'll have to see how mine runs with the 107s when I finally finish it. I replaced my emulsion tubes while I had the carbs open since you could easily see the wear on two of them.

How does the bike handle with the suspension set up? I've got Racetech emulators and springs with preload adjusters in the forks and a newly rebuilt Fox on the rear. I'm hoping it's gonna be a fun bike to play with. I originally bought it to part out since the plastics are really nice but then I found a guy parting his race bike and somehow ended up spending a bunch of money on fixing it instead :iiam:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Bugdrvr posted:

Ah cool. I'll have to see how mine runs with the 107s when I finally finish it. I replaced my emulsion tubes while I had the carbs open since you could easily see the wear on two of them.

How does the bike handle with the suspension set up? I've got Racetech emulators and springs with preload adjusters in the forks and a newly rebuilt Fox on the rear. I'm hoping it's gonna be a fun bike to play with. I originally bought it to part out since the plastics are really nice but then I found a guy parting his race bike and somehow ended up spending a bunch of money on fixing it instead :iiam:

Im planning on taking it to the track several times this season (previously on my SV650). It rides wonderfully on the street, though.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Dyed my timing belt covers and the front sprocket cover and they look amazing. The dye went at least 0.5mm into the plastic from what I can tell and the finish is dead even.

Also trying a few different fender options, the stock plastic fender was awful and wiggly. I picked up a DP aluminum fender for next to nothing and plastidipped it black (the aluminum clashed with the steel more than the pictures show), if I stick with it I'll probably have it powdercoated or anodized for something a little more permanent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to bring the shine back to the aluminum case covers on the bike. The black on my GSXR is faded everywhere and it looks like poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Dyed my timing belt covers and the front sprocket cover and they look amazing. The dye went at least 0.5mm into the plastic from what I can tell and the finish is dead even.

What did you use for this, that RIT fabric dye?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

apseudonym posted:

Well after sitting for two weeks my bike refused to start this morning :smith:.

Did some troubleshooting and ended up replacing the spark plugs and now everything is happy but that was a terrifying day today. I'm about to go on a 1800 mile road trip and if that happened when I was in the middle of loving nowhere Texas that would have been rough.

While replacing my front sprocket today I found the screw :v:.

New pads installed and new sprockets on(my chain was replaced in the middle of a road trip and couldn't do the sprockets then). My Ninja is ready for another 2000 mile adventure. :getin:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What did you use for this, that RIT fabric dye?
Yup, I can do a write-up on the process if you're interested.

I think it all came together pretty nice with the tail chop, fender, and dye job. Now there's a nice symmetry to the finishes, gloss on top and satin on the bottom.

E: Heat gun is out because I removed the six million huge silver stickers that were on the trellis frame. Jerks used stickers with those little score lines through them so they're a bitch to remove cleanly.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 18, 2014

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I tried the RIT dye on my covers too, but it only worked on one piece. It was weird, but I pieced the set together...so maybe they were different types of plastic? I ended up spray painting them, but the dye definitely looks better.

You get that DP fender off of ducatimonsterforum.org? I was eyeing one on there.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

I got mine from this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Ducati-Performance-Monster-alloy-front-fender-part-number-96933801B-/360570671984

The price seems to be bouncing around a lot, it was $49 two weeks ago.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Found out I must've run over a nail with the R1 last, completely flat and running out of air, it was certainly interesting getting it home from work.

Tire needed to be replaced soon anyways.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did this on my zx10. Did you notice how the rim is broad enough to basically turn the bike into a trike with a really narrow wheelbase?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I ran over a nail somewhere prior to the motorway and the bike just started feeling weird when I went over a bridge & started cornering. Felt so sluggish and loose.

Now, having never experienced a flat tyre ... I didn't realise it was flat until I got home. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Odette posted:

I ran over a nail somewhere prior to the motorway and the bike just started feeling weird when I went over a bridge & started cornering. Felt so sluggish and loose.

Now, having never experienced a flat tyre ... I didn't realise it was flat until I got home. :v:

Yeah, same here. I noticed it felt loose going through a turn, but didn't notice it was flat until I nearly high-sided (first time) or someone pointed it out to me (second time).

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bought my bike with aftermarket Renthal bars but the PO provided the old ones, which were narrower and had a slightly lower profile. Decided to fit them today for the hell of it, and I love the result. The steering feels much more responsive, and the position is a little more comfortable.

Edit: Also, when cleaning, I found a little bit of tape on the exhaust. Peeling it off, underneath was written "not for road use." Great!

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No fog frozen to everything this morning so I aired up the Ulysses's tires, coaxed the it to life, and got it dirty on the way to work. It's always an adventure starting it up after 2 months sitting, maybe I should do that head work it's 16,000 miles overdue for? Sticky intake valve says yes.

I don't think I'm going to put it back in storage after today... just under a cover in the car port where I can get to it without the whole rigmarole. I'll ride it more that way.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Shelvocke posted:

Edit: Also, when cleaning, I found a little bit of tape on the exhaust. Peeling it off, underneath was written "not for road use." Great!

Most aftermarket lights, exhausts, and decals (read: things that are regulated in any way) have that sticker on them. This allows them to manufacture and sell these things without being subject to regulations because they're only intended for show rooms and/or race tracks. In order for your exhaust to be for road use in your state it would have to be certified as under whatever dB(A) regulations in all kinds of conditions.

That sticker puts the blame (and tickets) squarely on you for going against the manufacturer's purpose.

In short, don't worry about it until you're WOT next to a squad car or having to pass an emissions test.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

No fog frozen to everything this morning so I aired up the Ulysses's tires, coaxed the it to life, and got it dirty on the way to work. It's always an adventure starting it up after 2 months sitting, maybe I should do that head work it's 16,000 miles overdue for? Sticky intake valve says yes.

I don't think I'm going to put it back in storage after today... just under a cover in the car port where I can get to it without the whole rigmarole. I'll ride it more that way.

How do you know the valve is sticky? Honest question.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It says "Harley Davidson" on the side of the engine. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The local Buell guy had a look for me when I was buying it some goodies. Symptom-wise it will die and shoot back through the intake when it's cold and hasn't been run for a bit. Then it will run on one cylinder for a moment when I start it back up until the valve unsticks and the bike falls into its potato cadence.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cleaned it up. new master link clip, tossed out the dead cooling fan relay, wired in a new nippon denso relay with a new switch. Lets see the fucker burn this one out.

switch is a little more accessible now, and has a idiot light.

Note to self: Don't trust lucas relays.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Note to self: Don't trust lucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Rode it to work this morning breaking a number of #stereotypicalharleyrider... uh stereotypes:

1. Commuted on it
2. It was like 38 degrees this morning
3. Did 70+ on the freeway
4. Wore my full-faced lid
5. Waved to a couple of sportbikes

I ride a big ol' softail.