Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Takes No Damage posted:

Uh oh, the frontman had his own horn holster thing on his belt and downed several 'ales' with the crowd throughout the show, have I been deceived has it all been a lie :ohdear:

All that fun you thought you were having? An illusion. A sham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

I have been summoned. As resident Swole Dude, here's a good list of bands that provide some incredible gym tapes:

Death (Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic)
Vader (Everything. Seriously. Start with XXV and their latest for maximum INCREDIBLE GAINS)
Insomnium (Above the Weeping World and Across the Dark)
Edge of Sanity (Crimson 2)
Amon Amarth (Pretty much the entire discography)
In Flames (The Jester Race)
Gorod (Perfect Absolution)
Obscura
Opeth (Still Life, some slow parts, but great overall for the gym IMO)
Ouroboros
Be'Lakor
Skeletonwitch (Entire discography)
In Mourning

Seriously though man. Vader. Just have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGYB66S9SEo

Im not even a huge Death fan, but Symbolic gets me going at the gym too. Also seconding Be'lakor.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stoat posted:

I saw them years ago, 2005 or 2006 or so, and from where I was standing I watched as the guitarist filled his ale horn with bottled water at the back of the stage, then come to the front, lift it to the crowd and down the "beer" inside.

Death to false Vikings.

Well it's good to stay hydrated under stage lights, and alcohol's a diuretic.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Stoat posted:

I saw them years ago, 2005 or 2006 or so, and from where I was standing I watched as the guitarist filled his ale horn with bottled water at the back of the stage, then come to the front, lift it to the crowd and down the "beer" inside.

Death to false Vikings.

You ever try playing guitar shitfaced?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbid Florist posted:

EVH tried and bombed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnYvIfG9Vb4

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

I was at the Amon Amarth show last night, it was definitely not all beer, but I really don't blame him. I'd be swapping liquor for water after a while too. It's one thing to play buzzed at a concert but it gets really hard to keep the music tight if you're completely drunk.

Defiant Sally posted:

I have been summoned. As resident Swole Dude, here's a good list of bands that provide some incredible gym tapes:

Death (Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic)
Vader (Everything. Seriously. Start with XXV and their latest for maximum INCREDIBLE GAINS)
Insomnium (Above the Weeping World and Across the Dark)
Edge of Sanity (Crimson 2)
Amon Amarth (Pretty much the entire discography)
In Flames (The Jester Race)
Gorod (Perfect Absolution)
Obscura
Opeth (Still Life, some slow parts, but great overall for the gym IMO)
Ouroboros
Be'Lakor
Skeletonwitch (Entire discography)
In Mourning

Seriously though man. Vader. Just have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGYB66S9SEo

I recommend Testament for gym metal as well, most of it is good but I prefer the albums Formation of Damnation and The Gathering the most.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the end just drink a light beer if you dont want to be wasted. Drinking 101.

Anyways, Soulfly hitting up my city in a couple weeks - any idea of how much the set is good Sepultura stuff? In fact, no Soulfly stuff would be nice. Fear Factory posted yesterday about their metal cruise ship and playing the entirety of Demanufacture - wish they would take that on tour (or maybe they will??).

This is the most 90's post now.

tor_blackblood
Feb 14, 2012

Where death seems to dwell...
Johan Hegg engaging in some witty banter during the San Antonio show. Note the water-filled alehorn in the holster.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
He's a big dude, slamming a couple cans of beer over a 60 minute set sweating your rear end off onstage shouldn't get anyone 'wasted', maybe they just don't like lovely American beer :shrug:

Belphegor's Bondage Goat Zombie is pretty consistently intense blackened death, ideal for powering through a set of powerlifting or better yet skullcrushers
:black101::black101:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Synchronized headbanging takes full coordination man.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I did notice that he tended to bang more side to side rather than straight up and down, so we got a nice goatee whip effect in addition to the head hair. Hell I'd probably puke trying to do that sober, metal is a young man's game :corsair:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I saw Ghost last night.

Simultaneously awesome and...annoying.

I reckon Ghost are loving awesome when they're being Ghost and they're poo poo and annoying when they're being deliberately "retro". Songs like Year Zero and Elizabeth and Ritual are loving great. Yes the influence is on the sleeve but they do have their own spin on it (I think they manage to be more Black Sabbath than Black Sabbath).

But then you have songs like Zombie Queen (which has one of their best choruses) paired with loving surf rock. No spin on it, nothing interesting, just a blatant: "Hey! Remember when they used to do this? We do this too because all of our stuff comes from this time!"

It's like they're simultaneously the coolest Doom band and the most Dad Metal band on the planet.

The show was kickass though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
My favorite song of theirs' is actually Zombie Queen so I don't know what you're talking about. Ghost is retro is retro. Maybe I'm missing the live element to be annoyed.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear the thread's reaction to this zombie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRr1RELgho

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I saw Ghost last night.

Simultaneously awesome and...annoying.

I reckon Ghost are loving awesome when they're being Ghost and they're poo poo and annoying when they're being deliberately "retro". Songs like Year Zero and Elizabeth and Ritual are loving great. Yes the influence is on the sleeve but they do have their own spin on it (I think they manage to be more Black Sabbath than Black Sabbath).

But then you have songs like Zombie Queen (which has one of their best choruses) paired with loving surf rock. No spin on it, nothing interesting, just a blatant: "Hey! Remember when they used to do this? We do this too because all of our stuff comes from this time!"

It's like they're simultaneously the coolest Doom band and the most Dad Metal band on the planet.

The show was kickass though.

I saw Ghost last March and thought they were great, and my only regret from the show was that they didn't play Zombie Queen (which I think is one of the best from their latest)... but to each his own.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Destrage is an Italian band that sampled peter from family guy speaking Italian for the beginning of one of their songs but for some reason I still like them

e: also they got Mattias Eklundh to do a guest solo on their first album so that's really cool too

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The world needs more crunchy, gothic-tinged doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDv3W6iBP0

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Blasphemy is by definition THE metal lifting music. If that's not nuts enough for you, Bestial Warlust.

I always liked Demoncy though.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Morbid Florist posted:

Drink at practice so you can play live drunk.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I've got some ridiculously swedish black metal from a band called Wolfheart for anyone who is currently snowed in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxkBoeNG4A

Got caught in a snowstorm on the way home a few weeks back, the album was pretty good for the drive.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thanks for all the sci-fi recommendations, plenty of good stuff in there. I'm almost embarassed by how much I like Keldian. It's like Sonata Arctica with better pop sensibilities.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I've got some ridiculously swedish black metal from a band called Wolfheart for anyone who is currently snowed in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxkBoeNG4A

Got caught in a snowstorm on the way home a few weeks back, the album was pretty good for the drive.

They're not swedish, they're not black metal and I'd rather freeze to death than sit in a car and endure an entire album from Saukkonen.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I was only joking about caring about them drinking water you guys. I'm not really a blabbermouth poster. :3:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

They're not swedish, they're not black metal and I'd rather freeze to death than sit in a car and endure an entire album from Saukkonen.

Swedish as in more melodic. I'm sorry it wasn't recorded in a graveyard at night by a murderer. What 6 word sub genre would you prefer then?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm sorry it wasn't recorded in a graveyard at night by a murderer.

Me too.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

DeusExMachinima posted:

My favorite song of theirs' is actually Zombie Queen so I don't know what you're talking about.

Zombie Queen was also my instant favorite when I first heard the new record. I hope they play it when they do the US tour with In Solitude this May. :sweden:

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What 6 word sub genre would you prefer then?

I'm honestly not trying to nitpick but here's a list of all the characteristics that song shares with black metal:

- overdriven guitars
- guttural vocals

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm honestly not trying to nitpick but here's a list of all the characteristics that song shares with black metal:

- overdriven guitars
- guttural vocals

Fair enough! I prefer to use broader terms because I will occasionally catch myself saying things like American progressive technical death metal and feel like a total doofus. I'm old enough that I saw most of these categories develop.

Strangely enough, for the longest time Opeth referred to themselves as a black metal band.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

dxt posted:

Drink at practice so you can play live drunk.

This is how you do it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Fair enough! I prefer to use broader terms because I will occasionally catch myself saying things like American progressive technical death metal and feel like a total doofus. I'm old enough that I saw most of these categories develop.
To use a broad term and and still be pretty accurate, just call Wolfheart basic melodeath. That's what I'd label it as, and I'm not that anal about genres.
The guy behind the band, Tuomas Saukkonen, has put out a pretty crazy amount of stuff, and I guess Wolfheart is a kind of amalgamation of all his previous bands.
If you liked that song, try some Before the Dawn, which is my favourite of all the stuff he's done.

EDIT:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Thanks for all the sci-fi recommendations, plenty of good stuff in there. I'm almost embarassed by how much I like Keldian. It's like Sonata Arctica with better pop sensibilities.
...and a much, MUCH more pleasant vocalist. I might actually still listen to Sonata Arctica every now and then, if not for Tony Kakko and his bleating.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 23, 2014

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah that Wolfheart song reminded me of Insomnium-style doomy melodic death metal more than anything else.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Strangely enough, for the longest time Opeth referred to themselves as a black metal band.

Also, I didn't know this, but it makes sense to me. I always thought that the production, the riffs, and Mikael's style of growling on the earlier Opeth albums sounded pretty black metal at times.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nordick posted:

To use a broad term and and still be pretty accurate, just call Wolfheart basic melodeath. That's what I'd label it as, and I'm not that anal about genres.
The guy behind the band, Tuomas Saukkonen, has put out a pretty crazy amount of stuff, and I guess Wolfheart is a kind of amalgamation of all his previous bands.
If you liked that song, try some Before the Dawn, which is my favourite of all the stuff he's done.

I'd agree with that, actually.

This will probably get me shouted out of here, but did anyone else find the new Amon Amarth a little boring, especially the drums?

A lot of the drumwork is really, really basic, especially during the guitar solos. Reminded me of pop rock drumming at some points. It's a good enough album, but if you listen to it back to back with stuff like the new Kalmah or Mors Principium Est it really suffers in comparison.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah that Wolfheart song reminded me of Insomnium-style doomy melodic death metal more than anything else.

Also, I didn't know this, but it makes sense to me. I always thought that the production, the riffs, and Mikael's style of growling on the earlier Opeth albums sounded pretty black metal at times.

He said it fairly recently as well, though this was before that full on prog monstrosity they released last time around. I think we all knew it was coming after hearing the lotus eaters off watershed though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

What's funny is that I really, really liked Watershed (and the Lotus Eaters in particular), and really don't mind the idea of Opeth going full 70s prog in theory. I listen to plenty of retro throwback stuff in that vein already.

The problem is that, in practice, Heritage was just boring as gently caress.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'd agree with that, actually.

This will probably get me shouted out of here, but did anyone else find the new Amon Amarth a little boring, especially the drums?

A lot of the drumwork is really, really basic, especially during the guitar solos. Reminded me of pop rock drumming at some points. It's a good enough album, but if you listen to it back to back with stuff like the new Kalmah or Mors Principium Est it really suffers in comparison.

I listen to both Amon Amarth and Kalmah and I don't think their new album is boring. :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It shouldn't - their 2011 album is boring and poo poo. I haven't heard the new one yet but if it's more the same then gently caress it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just got an email saying Motorhead will be playing in San Fran on April 18. I feel as if it is my life's purpose to see this show.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
OK saw the Amon Amarth concert last night. Skeleton Witch was ok but Enslaved was epic live.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

darthzeta88 posted:

OK saw the Amon Amarth concert last night. Skeleton Witch was ok but Enslaved was epic live.

That's disappointing, Skeletonwitch has been one of my go to albums for the last month or two.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

What's funny is that I really, really liked Watershed (and the Lotus Eaters in particular), and really don't mind the idea of Opeth going full 70s prog in theory. I listen to plenty of retro throwback stuff in that vein already.

The problem is that, in practice, Heritage was just boring as gently caress.

Same here. Before I heard Heritage everyone was telling me that because I loved Burden I'd love the album. If only the songs on Heritage were as good as Burden though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

edit: post is smug and pointless, in retrospect

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2014