Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Thora posted:

Etiquette question: Do you tip delivery people (item in question a mattress)? It's 4 steps up, no bends in the stairway, they just have to drop it in the living room and I can take it from there.

I do, I guess just a few bucks if it's only one thing. They still have to get it to you and off the truck.

E: especially if the weather is somehow lovely because it's a job I'm happy to not be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Thora posted:

Etiquette question: Do you tip delivery people (item in question a mattress)? It's 4 steps up, no bends in the stairway, they just have to drop it in the living room and I can take it from there.

I've never tipped someone i bought a mattress from. Usually that's included in the paying costs for buying a mattress.

It'd be like tipping the UPS guy for bringing you a package imo.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

amarantinesky posted:

I went outside and scraped 13 inches of snow off my car and shoveled it out, only to try to turn it on and it won't start. I could get a battery but it's such a cheap, crappy car that I'm not sure it's even worth it.

And it was kind of feeling like a good day, too :smith:

A battery is like $100. Surely that's less than a different car. Do you have AAA? They will bring you a battery and install it for free (you still have to buy the battery but it's a good price). If you have a crappy car, a AAA membership is totally worth it.

My day has been awesome as well. The heel snapped on my favorite pair of shoes which is completely unrepairable, my "work" jeans finally split at the crotch right as I bent over to get something, the lumber company delivered cherry instead of cypress which is setting back my project, and I left my phone at work so tonight's probably the night I'll get murdered.

Crow Jane posted:

Ghost stories are fun, though, even if you don't believe in ghosts. Suspending your disbelief leads to better entertainment experiences, imo

I loved the creepy thread that originated Slenderman and it was pretty cool seeing it become this big thing.

Re: ridiculously unbelievable story tellers that have everyone hopping their dick, god, those guys were insufferable. Wasn't 50 foot ant like the supposed relative of a different poo poo poster? Or am I getting my poo poo posters confused?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
All goons are related. Like cosmicly.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Thora posted:

Of course. Especially if they're carrying something heavy like furniture or a fridge. I tipped the two dudes who delivered my fridge $20. Watching them carry it in and cart off the old dead one was fascinating, they had this harness thing between them that went underneath the fridge and distributed its weight on these two (buff and sexy ;-*) dudes.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I just got my manga order from Amazon.co.jp. I got the recommended books (thanks, everybody!) and I am going to start with Yotsuba&! tonight. Sidenote: There are boobs in chapter 2 of What's Michael? Like, full nudity (will scan when I get home.) That surprised me.

I also got Vol. 2 of Kinoko Inu. I have no idea if you can get it in English, but if you can, do iiittt! He's adorable. Supa kawaii desu!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

detectivemonkey posted:

I am too. Like, sadder than is reasonable I MISS YOU AVVVV

I made a special blend on Adagio (my favorite tea site) of chamomile, peppermint, and lemongrass. I've been mixing it from my sample bags and am super excited to have 6 oz of it. I also blended cranberry and orange with some plain black tea because I drink that at work. Also I think it was someone in this thread who said the Thai Chai is delicious so I got a sample of it.

That sounds really good. I've been drinking an even more ridiculous amount of tea than normal lately since while ill

More old goon stories and links. Especially since there are no more Av drunk posts to read

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

I just got my manga order from Amazon.co.jp. I got the recommended books (thanks, everybody!) and I am going to start with Yotsuba&! tonight. Sidenote: There are boobs in chapter 2 of What's Michael? Like, full nudity (will scan when I get home.) That surprised me.

I also got Vol. 2 of Kinoko Inu. I have no idea if you can get it in English, but if you can, do iiittt! He's adorable. Supa kawaii desu!

Tonight's lady poll: how much $$ has ladythread cost you? I've spent about $30 on lady-thread recommended things specifically, plus nail polish and bb cream because INSPIRATION.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Lady thread is enabling

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

you dont have to scan the pic i can find naked anime babes easily enough on my own

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
im not a lady but i would just like to have at least one post in this thread

hello ladies

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

Tonight's lady poll: how much $$ has ladythread cost you? I've spent about $30 on lady-thread recommended things specifically, plus nail polish and bb cream because INSPIRATION.

about $40, I picked up bb cream and eyeshadow and mascara and all that junk and I do not regret it

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

That is exactly why I don't go in the Women's Fashion thread much. I'd find myself thinking I really needed a pair of space cat leggings and I really,really, really don't need a pair of space cat leggings.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Livingtrope posted:

you dont have to scan the pic i can find naked anime babes easily enough on my own

But this one is speshul.

So far I am only at 1877 Yen. I blame my recent CC Cream purchases on the snail thread. E: and my leggings on the Fashion Thread. But since the $1300.00 jacket discussion I haven't visited because I'm fashion fat.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

t_violet posted:

That is exactly why I don't go in the Women's Fashion thread much. I'd find myself thinking I really needed a pair of space cat leggings and I really,really, really don't need a pair of space cat leggings.

My husband started reading the men's fashion thread and immediately spent so much. Now he's reading the nail thread, but luckily nail polish and special tools and striping tape and all that jazz is cheaper.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

t_violet posted:

I bought space leggings though. Do not regret.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

t_violet posted:

This is why I can't read the nail polish thread.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

My husband started reading the men's fashion thread and immediately spent so much. Now he's reading the nail thread, but luckily nail polish and special tools and striping tape and all that jazz is cheaper.

HAHAHAHAHAhahahaaa

if you had asked me how much that thread had cost me, I would need to spend about an hour to count it all up and then weep

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I spent $75 at Ulta today but bought nothing directly related to this thread. I guess it did inspire it though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
$0 Its great to be a guy sometimes.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Portals posted:

HAHAHAHAHAhahahaaa

if you had asked me how much that thread had cost me, I would need to spend about an hour to count it all up and then weep

Oh no. Ok you guys, I'm going to start a fund for myself proactively. Pls avoid any fashion threads so you can save money to give to me TIA.

We may merge this with the Av rereg fund.

Dongicus posted:

im not a lady but i would just like to have at least one post in this thread

hello ladies

Welcome we will convince you to buy make up don't worry.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Al Borland posted:

$0 Its great to be a guy sometimes.

Not even bb cream? LADIES WE ARE FAILING.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

t_violet posted:

A battery is like $100. Surely that's less than a different car. Do you have AAA? They will bring you a battery and install it for free (you still have to buy the battery but it's a good price). If you have a crappy car, a AAA membership is totally worth it.

It could also just be the cold. I know my friends have had some problems starting their cars because it was just so drat cold out, but mechanically they were fine (once the temperature came back up). Before you run out and start buying new parts/vehicles anyway.

detectivemonkey posted:

Not even bb cream? LADIES WE ARE FAILING.

It's not even a guy thing, I don't wear makeup so I've spent $0 thanks to the thread as well.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

I can't read the nail polish thread because it would make me too self-conscious about my nails. I already feel bad enough about myself and my nails are usually pretty decent as far as I know. I don't want to become informed that my nails are in fact horrible and ugly and bad and I need to cultivate the skill of proper nail care.

Ugh I don't even want to think about this car situation, it's going to end up costing me so much money. The mechanic is going to look at it because it seems pretty likely there's more than just a dead battery to deal with - in fact, just this morning I was thinking about how the car needs to go in the shop very soon. I'm also looking at cars on craigslist and they're mostly terrible. gently caress you, I don't care if the car is from 2013, I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a car that was literally totaled and has wires spilling out from the remains of the hood. :colbert:

I'll make you feel better about your nails. These are mine. Yes, I will be going out in public tomorrow like this. No, I do not care enough to fix them.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
What are you reading about teeth brushing?

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
Do any of you ski? I've never skied a day in my life, but now we have skis and boots and poles so I better learn how. I'll be learning pizza and french fries alongside a bunch of preteens--awesome.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2014

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

What are you reading about teeth brushing?

Hahaha it's a learning theory textbook. That line is about getting a kid to brush their teeth by nagging them until they do it, then taking away the nagging.

E: I went skiing for the first time last year. I loved it way more than I thought I would. I am also terrible at most athletic things but was loving amazing at skiing. Like, slow-motion skiing in the part of the hill with the babies. But still, I crushed it.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

grapey posted:

Do any of you ski? I've never skied a day in my life, but now we have skis and boots and poles so I better learn how. I'll be learning pizza and french fries alongside a bunch of preteens--awesome.

I haven't skiied since I was 16. I think I'm going to take my 12 year old in February, though. I hope it's as easy as I remember and that they have an easy trail.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

detectivemonkey posted:

Hahaha it's a learning theory textbook. That line is about getting a kid to brush their teeth by nagging them until they do it, then taking away the nagging.

All I know about learning is Mazlow's hierarchy of needs. I cannot make it go out of my brian brain so I can make room for other cool stuff like all of Pink Floyd's studio album titles. (I lost a Geek Battle last night with Mr.Poo)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One reason why doing nails is fun for me is that it's 100% optional. Makeup is kinda fun, but it's such a cultural expectation and it's required for a lot of jobs. I wind up doing it automatically at least 5 days of the week (totally boring) plus you always get judged on it. But nails, at least to me, feel completely optional. There is no job interview I've been to where you get points off for naked, natural nails (it just might not be the time to go for electric green). Since doing nothing is perfectly allowed, I feel comfortable doing something when I feel like it, and taking weeks off when I feel like it.

As long as you don't have duck nails (which you'd have to work pretty hard on), the nail polish thread should be welcoming and supportive.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

All I know about learning is Mazlow's hierarchy of needs. I cannot make it go out of my brian so I can make room for other cool stuff like all of Pink Floyd's studio album titles. (I lost a Geek Battle last night with Mr.Poo)

He should battle my husband, who is a lockbox of useless music trivia. There's a comedian (Christian Finnegan) who has a but about people who are good at Monopoly v. Trivial Pursuit and the best line is "it says it in the title: you pursue trivial things".

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 23, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anne Whateley posted:

One reason why doing nails is fun for me is that it's 100% optional. Makeup is kinda fun, but it's such a cultural expectation and it's required for a lot of jobs.

What jobs are these? I do not want one of those.

I am not allowed to have cool nails. My only option is neutral color, and only 1 at a time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

poopkitty posted:

But this one is speshul.

So far I am only at 1877 Yen. I blame my recent CC Cream purchases on the snail thread. E: and my leggings on the Fashion Thread. But since the $1300.00 jacket discussion I haven't visited because I'm fashion fat.

Have I mentioned how insanely jealous I am of you that you're able to order used mangas for 1 yen off amazon.co.jp?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

detectivemonkey posted:

Not a lady but t_violet convinced me to finally get the Liberty of London swathes I need to customize some Nikes. That cost me $75 for two patterns + international shipping. Can't wait til they get here. Not sure what I'll do with the leftover fabric, I won't need much.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I bought lipstick and plants because of this thread

And you guys helped me decide on my last haircut

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Fisticuffs posted:

Not a lady but t_violet convinced me to finally get the Liberty of London swatches I need to customize some Nikes. That cost me $75 for two patterns + international shipping. Can't wait til they get here. Not sure what I'll do with the leftover fabric, I won't need much.

Make potpourri satchels! Or give them to an old lady who you work with and become her hero forever. Or sew some catnip inside and make cat toys. I will buy your cat toys.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Went to see a showing of Blue is the Warmest Color and got to eat hot chocolate chip cookies. I sat next to a pack of 80 year old women. They seemed to handle it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I bought lipstick and plants because of this thread

And you guys helped me decide on my last haircut

I actually went to the grocery store that day and almost got an African violet in solidarity so we could start a club but then that seemed weird. Also the Giant near me is selling tiny tulips in ceramic clogs and windmills and I need to save all available flat surfaces in my house to buy all of those.

• Locked thread