Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Poopkitty how many times have you gone to see the Gundam?

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

poopkitty posted:

What jobs are these? I do not want one of those.

I am not allowed to have cool nails. My only option is neutral color, and only 1 at a time.

I don't know, I've never had a job that gave a poo poo about anyone's nails and makeup beyond "keep your fingernails clean, don't wear makeup that's outrageous."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crow Jane posted:

I bought lipstick and plants because of this thread

And you guys helped me decide on my last haircut

Oh, lipstick and plants. For a second I thought you said lipstick plants, and I don't recall anyone recommending them in this thread.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

Is this the same Giant that is in my area? I want those flowers so much. African violets always seem to die on me.

I'm in Northern VA so probably. I've only found them at one but maybe they're everywhere! It's even pretty blue and white ceramic.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

boom boom boom posted:

Have I mentioned how insanely jealous I am of you that you're able to order used mangas for 1 yen off amazon.co.jp?

If you want some, let me know. My shipping is cheap since I have both a US and a Japanese address. I subscribe to US fashion mags and give them to the Japanese secretaries. Multicultural workplaces are fun sometimes. :japan: :patriot:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't kept up with it for awhile because I was drowning in polish, but when I was reading it every day, people were super nice except occasionally posting duck nails / the women with three-foot-long nails to :stare: at. There were multiple biters and I don't remember anyone being mean. There was a big debate on taking pre-cleanup pics, but then someone posted their nails with polish up to the knuckle and I think that ended that.

e: makeup is an expectation in a lot of office jobs. It's not like you'd get an HR write-up for failing to wear natural makeup, but it would be weird and it'd probably impact the way people thought of you, your potential for promotion, etc.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

amarantinesky posted:

Is this the same Giant that is in my area? I want those flowers so much. African violets always seem to die on me.

I got mine from Ace, it was only like three bucks

I did my nails today too, kinda messy but it'll come out in the shower tomorrow. I felt like boring old red for some reason

Also pictured: scratches from my cat's Nyquil adventure the other day

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

boom boom boom posted:

Poopkitty how many times have you gone to see the Gundam?

Just like, three. And never at night. I've gone to see the AKB48 crowds more. I am otaku.

There is a very large Gundam unfinished on my desk at home though. Mr. Kitty is not allowed to go to Yodobashi Camera alone until he is finished.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know, I've never had a job that gave a poo poo about anyone's nails and makeup beyond "keep your fingernails clean, don't wear makeup that's outrageous."

When I worked at Victoria's Secret they kind of side-eyed you if you didn't wear make up, but for the past 7 years I've worn make up a couple times a week. No one cares in any office I've worked in.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I got mine from Ace, it was only like three bucks

I did my nails today too, kinda messy but it'll come out in the shower tomorrow. I felt like boring old red for some reason

Also pictured: scratches from my cat's Nyquil adventure the other day

Piano-finger buddy! The scratches go well with the color. Cat has recovered?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

Piano-finger buddy! The scratches go well with the color. Cat has recovered?

My boyfriend calls them alien hands, I prefer your version

And yeah, the cat's fine. He spent a couple days giving me the stank-eye, though

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

And yeah, the cat's fine. He spent a couple days giving me the stank-eye, though

When we were looking at rings, my husband realized that my ring finger bends pretty dramatically. Once he saw it he couldn't look at my hands for a while without getting freaked out. We had been together for almost 3 years.

E: ^ is the logo for your almost like mine but has a mustache and beard?

Ps: autocorrect tried to change mustache to "moist ache" and now I can't stop cringing.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My cat just got back from the vet. She had a sinus infection

Roads sucked. She was well behaved though. Such a nice cat

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

poopkitty posted:

Just like, three. And never at night. I've gone to see the AKB48 crowds more. I am otaku.

There is a very large Gundam unfinished on my desk at home though. Mr. Kitty is not allowed to go to Yodobashi Camera alone until he is finished.

I saw it on vacation last summer, it was so great. That mall that it stands in front of has a really great hippy clothes shop in it. I remember my american male friend desperately trying to fit into the greatest Japanese women's jacket.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

t_violet posted:

A battery is like $100. Surely that's less than a different car. Do you have AAA? They will bring you a battery and install it for free (you still have to buy the battery but it's a good price). If you have a crappy car, a AAA membership is totally worth it.

My day has been awesome as well. The heel snapped on my favorite pair of shoes which is completely unrepairable, my "work" jeans finally split at the crotch right as I bent over to get something, the lumber company delivered cherry instead of cypress which is setting back my project, and I left my phone at work so tonight's probably the night I'll get murdered.

I loved the creepy thread that originated Slenderman and it was pretty cool seeing it become this big thing.

Re: ridiculously unbelievable story tellers that have everyone hopping their dick, god, those guys were insufferable. Wasn't 50 foot ant like the supposed relative of a different poo poo poster? Or am I getting my poo poo posters confused?

the relative was also 50 foot ant.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

detectivemonkey posted:

Make potpourri satchels! Or give them to an old lady who you work with and become her hero forever. Or sew some catnip inside and make cat toys. I will buy your cat toys.

I can't sew. Well, I can repair small tears in my clothing but not well. I'm going to take the swathes to a tailor and have him cut them and apply them to the Nikes. I might try and give them away but none of the women I socialize with at work have mentioned sewing(one of them writes hilarious erotica which is unrelated but funny).

Crow Jane posted:

I was going to ask how tall you were but thought better of it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Fisticuffs posted:

I was going to ask how tall you were but thought better of it.
Tall enough that I was forced to play basketball as well as piano

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

boom boom boom posted:

I saw it on vacation last summer, it was so great. That mall that it stands in front of has a really great hippy clothes shop in it. I remember my american male friend desperately trying to fit into the greatest Japanese women's jacket.

That is my husband's favorite mall. It also has a nice watch store where they sell GSX watches, which are lovely but we had never seen outside of Japan. There's also an Old Navy there. They gave us US/JP clothing size charts. (All of the sizing in US so we lol'ed quietly so as not to offend.) I like shopping at American stores here because they always have my size. I can usually wear a JP XL though. And UniQlo owns.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

E: I went skiing for the first time last year. I loved it way more than I thought I would. I am also terrible at most athletic things but was loving amazing at skiing. Like, slow-motion skiing in the part of the hill with the babies. But still, I crushed it.

That's great! And encouraging. I'm terrible at sports and overweight (though not obese anymore, aw yeah). I'm hoping I don't make a complete fool of myself. I envision falling and not being able to get up (totally unintentional reference there).

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anne Whateley posted:

e: makeup is an expectation in a lot of office jobs. It's not like you'd get an HR write-up for failing to wear natural makeup, but it would be weird and it'd probably impact the way people thought of you, your potential for promotion, etc.

That is ridiculous and I am glad I have never been "expected" to alter my natural appearance to put others at ease. Sometimes, despite the inherent risk of death and the fact that Uncle Sam literally owns me, I am REALLY glad that I have this job. My promotion has been completely performance based (IE scantron tests) for years.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

No violin?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Clarinet

And synchronized swimming

:negative:

At some point my folks realized I really did suck at all those things and they should stop spending money on them

My mom made me meet with a modelling agent later on though... that didn't go great

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Crow Jane posted:

I bought lipstick and plants because of this thread

And you guys helped me decide on my last haircut

well im glad. not lady should go without a good lipstick, or a good plant, or a good haircut.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Crow Jane posted:

It sucks that you had to do two fun things in such a way that made them unfun. I played basketball in HS; I wasn't tall enough to play in college but I still love to play. I also picked up piano in high school, but I don't think I'll ever be good at this point. It has been 10 years and I am stuck, wish I had time for lessons.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Fisticuffs posted:

It sucks that you had to do two fun things in such a way that made them unfun. I played basketball in HS; I wasn't tall enough to play in college but I still love to play. I also picked up piano in high school, but I don't think I'll ever be good at this point. It has been 10 years and I am stuck, wish I had time for lessons.

I'm the opposite with piano. I played from ages 5-14 or so and was actually really good. I played recitals and accompanied my teacher at weddings and played at my church a lot. Then hormones/atheism happened and I stopped and now can barely play anything. It's really depressing. You can totally learn as an adult but you're right -- it takes time.

With basketball I was never good (I played about 2 minutes in a real game one time). This was also when I was in 4th grade and you were supposed to let kids think they weren't terrible at the sport.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Eh, my parents wanted me to try lots of things, can't really fault them for that. I've just never been a very competitive person

with extra cheese
Oct 27, 2010
I played piano from ages 4-16. I quit literally the week before my teaching certification exam. I love music, was really involved in non-piano musical pursuits as a teenager, and was a pretty good pianist, but god I hated it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
as far as a resub Av fund goes. I'd be interested but I know the poor girl will get herself banned again so quickly!

She has to be the gooniest gal I've ever seen.

E:
Is there an IRC on syn btw? I'm curious if av shows up in there.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 23, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

She seemed far too happy to be truly goony

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Her computer needs one of those Breathalyzer lockouts like they put on cars sometimes. BAC 0.06? No more posting for you tonight.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

Her computer needs one of those Breathalyzer lockouts like they put on cars sometimes. BAC 0.06? No more posting for you tonight.

I'd support this on her keyboard.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I would sign up for twitter if drunk avshalom had a feed

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

When I worked at Victoria's Secret they kind of side-eyed you if you didn't wear make up, but for the past 7 years I've worn make up a couple times a week. No one cares in any office I've worked in.

Yeah, I've worked in a few offices and no one ever cared about it, nor did it seem to cause problems with my standing in the office. I don't think any of the women in one of them ever wore makeup come to think of it.

It's probably just as well, people that weird and judgmental would find a million other reasons not to like me pretty quick I'm sure.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

royal cat

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, I've worked in a few offices and no one ever cared about it, nor did it seem to cause problems with my standing in the office. I don't think any of the women in one of them ever wore makeup come to think of it.

It's probably just as well, people that weird and judgmental would find a million other reasons not to like me pretty quick I'm sure.

I'll be honest makeup does some amazing things for women. But I can live without it.

E: it can do some amazing things on guys too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Al Borland posted:

I'll be honest makeup does some amazing things for women. But I can live without it.

E: it can do some amazing things on guys too.

If you're reasonably skilled at applying it. It looks like total poo poo otherwise.

• Locked thread