Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In this movie the fourth directive is actually "Directive 4:20 Smoke Weed Every Day." It's targeting a different demographic than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

In this movie the fourth directive is actually "Directive 4:20 Smoke Weed Every Day." It's targeting a different demographic than the original.

He should be based in Seattle then. He can't be as fascist as our actual cops.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Slim Killington posted:

To travel forward in time and even the score against the Terminators.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The art direction for Robocop actually looks fine, unless you specifically mean Robo's armour (which lets face it, thats what most of the complaints are about), in which case you have to accept it's dealing with a contemporary aesthetic. That was always the point.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

echoplex posted:

The art direction for Robocop actually looks fine, unless you specifically mean Robo's armour (which lets face it, thats what most of the complaints are about), in which case you have to accept it's dealing with a contemporary aesthetic. That was always the point.

I honestly don't understand how someone can look at the design, which has logo nipples, and think its not at least partially tongue-in-cheek.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

I honestly don't understand how someone can look at the design, which has logo nipples, and think its not at least partially tongue-in-cheek.

There's literally a part in the trailer where Keaton, a scummy business guy concerned about marketing Robocop to his maximum potential, says "let's make it black!" and people still aren't getting this.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lowtax I know you're reading this thread.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

echoplex posted:

Yeah well their point sucks mate.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
There's every chance Robocop will suck for the reason most films suck, but I see more promise than not in the trailer. Steve Jobs Keaton is casting of the year as far as I'm concerned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think its funny that people treat Robocop like its some kind of hallowed series when outside of the first movie its been poo poo more often than not. Robocop 2 was mad uneven and after that it just decended into garbage.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

To travel forward in time and even the score against the Terminators.

Robocop Vs Terminator is the most 90s game I played.

I'd like to see a movie but with the reception of the Aliens Vs Predator films, I don't think it'd be a good thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

I think its funny that people treat Robocop like its some kind of hallowed series when outside of the first movie its been poo poo more often than not. Robocop 2 was mad uneven and after that it just decended into garbage.

It's the same logic as Aliens fans I suppose (especially the ones that hate Alien because it's "too slow").

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

muscles like this? posted:

No one treats it like a hallowed series, they treat it like a hallowed movie with a quasi-decent followup.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Robocop Vs Terminator is the most 90s game I played.

I'd like to see a movie but with the reception of the Aliens Vs Predator films, I don't think it'd be a good thing.

There was already a comic book, what more could you ask for?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I Before E posted:

There was already a comic book, what more could you ask for?

RoboCop meets Pacific Rim.

I want RoboCop to be a Jeager.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

RoboCop meets Pacific Rim.

I want RoboCop to be a Jeager.

All joking aside, the best Robocop team up was Robocop and Sting v. The Four Horsemen.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

There's literally a part in the trailer where Keaton, a scummy business guy concerned about marketing Robocop to his maximum potential, says "let's make it black!" and people still aren't getting this.

I'm not sure why they didn't just make it red and gold with a shiny divot in the center. Since the entire headpiece is just a repainted Iron Man cosplay helmet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LeJackal posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't just make it red and gold with a shiny divot in the center. Since the entire headpiece is just a repainted Iron Man cosplay helmet.

Other than the fact it looks nothing at all like Iron Man, sure.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I Before E posted:

All joking aside, the best Robocop team up was Robocop and Sting v. The Four Horsemen.

I thought you were talking about Sting from The Police.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAKfG9JOns

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

I think it says a lot about how cloistered the Robocop fanbase is that I've seen it probably 6 or 7 times, had a poster of it hanging, still cite it as one of my favorites, and I have no clue what an Auto-9 is. Some of y'all are sweating a trailer's "fan service" to a committed fanbase of maybe ten thousand worldwide.

This is an Auto-9,

i.e. RoboCop's gun. You can look at the listing on IMFDB, and see that most of the films it's shown up in are either a part of the RoboCop or Sin City (added in there at the request of Frank Miller, who wrote the screenplays for the second film and an unrelated movie also starring RoboCop). It shows up for some reason in the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie, but it's likely because they rented the guns from the same prop arsenal that modified and supplied the Beretta M93R Raffica for filming in the original RoboCop.

Also, it pops up often a lot in video games as a in-joke, say like Far-Cry 3: Blood Dragon and as the Cyborg Pistol skin in Saints Row IV.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Young Freud posted:

This is an Auto-9,

i.e. RoboCop's gun. You can look at the listing on IMFDB, and see that most of the films it's shown up in are either a part of the RoboCop or Sin City (added in there at the request of Frank Miller, who wrote the screenplays for the second film and an unrelated movie also starring RoboCop). It shows up for some reason in the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie, but it's likely because they rented the guns from the same prop arsenal that modified and supplied the Beretta M93R Raffica for filming in the original RoboCop.

Also, it pops up often a lot in video games as a in-joke, say like Far-Cry 3: Blood Dragon and as the Cyborg Pistol skin in Saints Row IV.

So, to recap. You're convinced Robocop is a warmed-over rehash of the original because of the cynical ploy of having him use the same gun?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oooooooh, guns, guns, guns!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

So, to recap. You're convinced Robocop is a warmed-over rehash of the original because of the cynical ploy of having him use the same gun?

Actually, I'm of the opposite opinion, as I'm digging the differences and hoping that a successful remake like John Carpenter's The Thing and not like that piece of poo poo Total Recall Paul W. S. Anderson crapped out last year.

That said, I believe the poster is a cynical ploy since there's such a vocal fanbase for the original (and who have been making GBS threads on anything remake-related) that it does sounds like the person who made the poster is catering to them (much like Kevin Smith's comment that the trailer should have "I'll buy that for a dollar" guy for 30 seconds to sell the fans). It's akin to the three-boobed lady in the Total Recall remake, who serves no purpose other than a "hey, remember that from the original movie?" reference. Everything so far seen and released from the RoboCop remake has been done to take the basic premise and maybe a few of the names and play around with it in new ways.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'mma be a stickler, but you're the second person I've seen to confuse Paul W.S Anderson with Len Wiseman. It's kinda funny. Len Wiseman did Total Recall. Not that that really makes a big difference.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Young Freud posted:

That said, I believe the poster is a cynical ploy since there's such a vocal fanbase for the original (and who have been making GBS threads on anything remake-related) that it does sounds like the person who made the poster is catering to them (much like Kevin Smith's comment that the trailer should have "I'll buy that for a dollar" guy for 30 seconds to sell the fans).

OooooOOOOOOoooooh. Well that's very different. Nevermind, then.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I'mma be a stickler, but you're the second person I've seen to confuse Paul W.S Anderson with Len Wiseman. It's kinda funny. Len Wiseman did Total Recall. Not that that really makes a big difference.

Goddamn, you're right. It's easy to confuse them when they direct almost nothing but action movies with their wives in major roles.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Young Freud posted:

Everything so far seen and released from the RoboCop remake has been done to take the basic premise and maybe a few of the names and play around with it in new ways.

So I guess this remake is some kind of, uh, remake, then? :v:

Here, have a different robotic man upon which to gaze in awe.

And some bonus vengeance for mankind's scientific hubris.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gonz posted:

Oooooooh, guns, guns, guns!

Best post in the last two pages :allears:

Robocop is infinitely quotable, and it's mostly just Clarence Boddicker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Young Freud posted:

Goddamn, you're right. It's easy to confuse them when they direct almost nothing but action movies with their wives in major roles.

They are super similar directors. Both directed and started a horribly retarded horror series, as well as doing sequels to older films.

But Len did do that Sleepy Hollow pilot, which was really badass/

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Wiseman and WS both have really cool and distinct style, even if their movies are cheesy as hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wiseman also executive produces Sleepy Hollow for Fox, one of the best new shows on tv the last several years.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No one treats it like a hallowed series, they treat it like a hallowed movie with a quasi-decent followup.

Which is also the only reason people bitch about it. No one would whine about a Robocop 3 remake. It's just that, in their eyes, the only one that didn't need to be touched is getting remade.

Personally, I've ordered my copy of the Robocop bluray, so I'm solid. This new one could be great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Which is also the only reason people bitch about it. No one would whine about a Robocop 3 remake. It's just that, in their eyes, the only one that didn't need to be touched is getting remade.

Because remaking sequels to a 30 year old movie is really loving stupid if you think about it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

computer parts posted:

Because remaking sequels to a 30 year old movie is really loving stupid if you think about it.

I'm making a point, not agreeing with it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

At least they're not remaking my preferred Verhoeven satires, Starship Troopers or Total RecaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I REMEMBERED

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hbomberguy posted:

At least they're not remaking my preferred Verhoeven satires, Starship Troopers or Total RecaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I REMEMBERED

They are remaking Starship Troopers though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Peanut President posted:

They are remaking Starship Troopers though.

I hope this turns out well. 90s aesthetics as a whole still irritate me and it ruins a lot of movies I loved. Hopefully soon they become charming again like the 70s and 80s are now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ariza posted:

I hope this turns out well. 90s aesthetics as a whole still irritate me and it ruins a lot of movies I loved. Hopefully soon they become charming again like the 70s and 80s are now.

The writer said "one man's fascism is another man's patriotism" so I wouldn't hold out hope on it turning out well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't wait to see what that Starship Troopers remake is even going to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

In the new version the bugs are evil and you can kill them without conscience because America Is The Best (the characters will say this even though the world is one United Country and not called America).