Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
In the WWE games, you can throw opponents into the corner, and they'll be stunned for a moment. You can perform a move while they're in this state, but the opponent can reverse the move with a well-timed button press. You can also rotate your opponent while he or she is stunned to set up your move. The problem is, there's no limit to the amount of times you can rotate the opponent, and the prompt to reverse it takes a long time to appear. You can keep someone in the corner until you gently caress up the timing on the button presses (and your opponent manages to hit the reversal in time) or somebody else shoves you out of the way. Note that you get penalized for disconnecting from too many ranked matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Pudgygiant posted:

Then Invision would ghetto blast Mexican pop music on voice chat when they tried to argue.

Back when I played Black Ops 2, I had some goons that I would run with that were pretty fun. One in particular, though Incant remember his name, would wait until he heard a kinect mic. Kinect mics are easy to tell because you hear a lot of in game noise being broadcast. So what this goon in particular would do is play a frequency check like this http://youtu.be/mX27e9SrlfA (skip to 30 seconds in) and you would immediately hear it being played back via kinect mic.

People learned fairly fast not to leave their kinect mic on. What made it better is when they actually on mic and asked what the hell just happened.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DayZ is a low-hanging fruit, but there is a fun little grief/righteous justice thing in the standalone.

One of the items is a spray disinfectant, which is basically just highly diluted bleach. The stuff should be harmless but is actually incredibly toxic in-game and you can die just by ingesting a bit of it.

This means that you can spray a bit of it on a piece of food, eat it, and die. Spraying it doesn't mark the food in any way. Combine that with the universal reflex to gobble down everything you see and you have a way to get back at anyone that kills you and loots your body: just spray a banana with it and keep it in your bag.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Continuing with the DayZ angle, this poor fellow was informed that Goons needed a screenshot of the LLJK Clan and he should hold still against a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBRE-4P5Rs

Which resulted in this. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1vqebi/to_the_lljk_police_got_that_screenshot_you_wanted/

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

A decade ago I was playing on some local private UO server. It was a standard renaissance shard with no expansions.
When you loot somebody it printed a message to everyone "You see <name> looting the corpse of <name2>" in gray letters.
So what I did, is that first I killed myself at some major traffic point without anyone noticing it. Then I ran to my corpse and used hiding skill to hide.

(For those who've never played UO - You could freely loot PK (red) players but if you loot gray/blue ones you get marked as criminal and can be easily killed in major cities by summoning guards.)

At that point I tabbed to my other UO window with other character, and waited for someone to come to my corpse, and I'd spam "You see <name> looting the corpse of <name2>" in gray letters, while at the same time moving stuff around in my corpse with my hidden character in window 1, took some, placed some in bag that was in the corpse. To the observer it just looked that some PK died and I was looting all of his stuff.

Many people took the bait and started looting my corpse, it marked them as a criminal, at that point I'd shout "Guards" and the person would be dead in a second. Then I'd loot all of his stuff (which marked me as a criminal), recalled to my house, unloaded, waited for criminal status to go away and then repeat the whole process in another town.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Louisgod posted:

Oh whoops, I forgot to open this back up!

So here's the deal: if you want to post in here, your post must contain an example of griefing, whether it be anecdotal or otherwise. Commentary or responses to posts are fine, but every post has to have an example. This has worked flawlessly in the gamers.txt and grognards.txt threads and it should work well here. Thanks to those that PMed me the suggestions!

<3

Of course now this means I have to come up with content more...

I have been playing XCom and did a few online matches there. There's a new cloaky ability called mimetic skin where if an enemy can't see you when you move to high cover you cloak, and until you move or get revealed by an enemy unit with a certain upgrade, you stay cloaked permamently.

So naturally when I realized that I was playing against someone who did not have a way to reveal me I ran up into high cover on a rooftop and just sat there watching him helplessly tool around the map for half an hour cursing at me in chat until he quit because he had no way to find me. I was playing Mass Effect 2 during this time period.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheSpiritFox posted:

So naturally when I realized that I was playing against someone who did not have a way to reveal me I ran up into high cover on a rooftop and just sat there watching him helplessly tool around the map for half an hour cursing at me in chat until he quit because he had no way to find me. I was playing Mass Effect 2 during this time period.
I did something similar to this back when Left 4 Dead 2 was bigger - I'll still do it every once in a great while, but there are fewer profoundly broken people playing that game nowadays.

Basically, at the start of every level, you're in a safe room where you're just that - totally safe. The zombies can't get in, and in a campaign level there's no time limit on leaving the safe room and getting started with the level.

Well, despite the fact that the campaign is trivially easy unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty level, a lot of people still got up in their heads about how people played the game. This character has to take point because her shirt's pink and it's easy to see, we have to have this spread of weapons, crap like that. This isn't Counterstrike with zombies, as long as you've got your head on straight and you've got someone to save you from the occasional crappy situation, drat near anything can work fine.

Basically the usual effect these people had was that they'd whine unholy terror every time the team wiped, acting pretty much like you'd expect some spoiled brat would. They'd blame it all on someone else, act like a total cock, and most normal people would pretty quickly find they had something better to do, and leave. This quite frequently left me alone with the douchebag.

So when we loaded up I'd simply murder the rear end in a top hat with friendly fire, then murder the bots to discourage new people from coming in. Then I'd simply type 'afk', and go get lunch or something.

The console always harvested some incredible explosions for me afterward, the most hilariously ironic was one guy going on a 13 line tirade about how people like me are why this game sucks. Typically they'd leave inside of 10 minutes, though, and when I got back I'd simply quit out and go again. There was one guy who saw the entire thing is a pissing contest, though, and hung around in a quiet game for almost 2 hours. I kept coming back every 20-30 minutes or so to say "wow you're still here", which would prompt another round of insults from the dude. My response was universally "haha", followed quickly by "afk". :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

I did something similar to this back when Left 4 Dead 2 was bigger - I'll still do it every once in a great while, but there are fewer profoundly broken people playing that game nowadays.

Basically, at the start of every level, you're in a safe room where you're just that - totally safe. The zombies can't get in, and in a campaign level there's no time limit on leaving the safe room and getting started with the level.

Well, despite the fact that the campaign is trivially easy unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty level, a lot of people still got up in their heads about how people played the game. This character has to take point because her shirt's pink and it's easy to see, we have to have this spread of weapons, crap like that. This isn't Counterstrike with zombies, as long as you've got your head on straight and you've got someone to save you from the occasional crappy situation, drat near anything can work fine.

Basically the usual effect these people had was that they'd whine unholy terror every time the team wiped, acting pretty much like you'd expect some spoiled brat would. They'd blame it all on someone else, act like a total cock, and most normal people would pretty quickly find they had something better to do, and leave. This quite frequently left me alone with the douchebag.

So when we loaded up I'd simply murder the rear end in a top hat with friendly fire, then murder the bots to discourage new people from coming in. Then I'd simply type 'afk', and go get lunch or something.

The console always harvested some incredible explosions for me afterward, the most hilariously ironic was one guy going on a 13 line tirade about how people like me are why this game sucks. Typically they'd leave inside of 10 minutes, though, and when I got back I'd simply quit out and go again. There was one guy who saw the entire thing is a pissing contest, though, and hung around in a quiet game for almost 2 hours. I kept coming back every 20-30 minutes or so to say "wow you're still here", which would prompt another round of insults from the dude. My response was universally "haha", followed quickly by "afk". :)

The lowest hanging L4D grief was taking the sniper rifle in L4D1. When that game first launched just grabbing that would get a successful vote-kick. The logic was dual handguns were just as accurate when crouched so you could take a "real" gun.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

There seems to still be a sizable population of try-hards, and Valve pretty much griefed the entire population of them by giving L4D2 away for free on Christmas. The player base 10 doubled over a night, and the official forums blossomed up with hate over new players not knowing how to play perfectly. There are still threads popping up with rage about how free players ruined the game.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Another L4D2 one that's either easy or impossible depending on your internet speed:
In Versus mode the safe room door can't be closed once it opens. If you're the first one to load in you can just run to the door & fling it open; more often than you'd think, your brain-dead teammates won't notice and will stand around planning optimal strategies until zombies start wandering in & gently caress that up. Accuse them of wasting too much time so the door auto-opened & watch the poo poo hit the fan players quit because god forbid pubbies don't get 4 full-health survivors through the level.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When my friends and I play we grief each other by turning every level into an every man for himself race to the finish. The first person there also just starts spam using first aid kids. It's not uncommon for the other people to limp into the safe house and have to end up going into the finale in the red.

Things we also do:
Shoot every car alarm.
Stand by the witch long enough to make her angry but not mad enough to attack.
"Help" downed teammates with molotovs.
You don't have to kill the tank just outrun the tank.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I did a low-effort grief a few days ago on TF2. I ended up on defense (RED) on a Gold Rush 3 (playing Gold Rush is a grief in itself), so I went spy to rack up some kills on my Conniver's Kunai. I ended up using the stock spy watch and just ran around the map snatching up all the metal boxes before the engineers on my team could use them to build up their sentries. Naturally, they were left with mere level 1 sentries and no dispensers/teleporters which led to us getting rolled pretty fast and losing the first point fairly quickly.

I was aware that doing that was a dick move for the rest of the team, but hey, a grief is a grief and it was funny hearing the 12 year-old engineer in our team shout his ears off about me being a useless spy (ironically, I ended up doing the most work for our defense, chainstabbing everyone on the cart multiple times and denying them their teleporters). So yeah, next time you want to be a dick to your engineers, just go spy and steal the ammo boxes for your own benefit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Scyantific posted:

I did a low-effort grief a few days ago on TF2. I ended up on defense (RED) on a Gold Rush 3 (playing Gold Rush is a grief in itself), so I went spy to rack up some kills on my Conniver's Kunai. I ended up using the stock spy watch and just ran around the map snatching up all the metal boxes before the engineers on my team could use them to build up their sentries. Naturally, they were left with mere level 1 sentries and no dispensers/teleporters which led to us getting rolled pretty fast and losing the first point fairly quickly.

I was aware that doing that was a dick move for the rest of the team, but hey, a grief is a grief and it was funny hearing the 12 year-old engineer in our team shout his ears off about me being a useless spy (ironically, I ended up doing the most work for our defense, chainstabbing everyone on the cart multiple times and denying them their teleporters). So yeah, next time you want to be a dick to your engineers, just go spy and steal the ammo boxes for your own benefit.

I do the same thing all the time, just as Scout with health packs.

For reference, two classes in TF2 are referred to as "roamers" when played a certain way. They are the Demoman and the Soldier. Both use explosives to propel themselves long distanced while Roaming, which requires them to take a little explosive damage (as much as 1/4 - 1/2 their health) to travel long distances quickly. They usually do this using a series of jumps which propels them to the other side of the map near a full-heal healthkit, so that they can immediately rejoin the fight.

As the Scout, there's a weapon called the Babyface Blaster which allows the scout to run at the maximum allowable speed in the game after dealing enough damage.

Knowing all that, another thing to keep in mind is that the people who do these long jumps toward healthkits also tend to be huge assholes. They're usually competitive players, or wannabe competitive players, who are "pubstars" in that they top score on public servers and may brag about it.

So what I would do is play Babyface Scout, kill a few people to run at max speed, and use a weapon called the Boston Basher which deals self-damage if you swing it without hitting an enemy. Then, when I see a Roamer jump toward the healthkit, I swing the Boston Basher and grab the healthkit. In the meantime I'll shoot a few enemies, try to pick them off, and with any luck the Roamer will either outright die--or I'll be damaged and able to swoop in on the healthkit before they can grab it

The Scout only has 125 health, and can be healed easily near full by a medium-sized health kit, which is much more plentiful. But what if I need more than 100 health healed at once???? Better take that full healthkit.

After the first few times, you'll get called an rear end in a top hat. After half an hour, your Roamer teammates will bitch you out incessantly for stealing their healthkits. The best part? This works for friend or enemy, and stealing an enemy Roamer's healthkit means you corner them while they're low-health as the highest-damage and fastest ambush class in the game.

And if they target you personally for the rest of the game, play as Pyro! Both Demomen and Soldiers use projectile weapons, which Pyros can reflect with an Airblast. So when they get so angry that they try to kill you repeatedly, you can Airblast their own projectiles back at them for a satisfying, rage-inducing kill. :allears:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I used to play Command and Conquer: Generals - Zero Hour all the time with an old housemate of mine, just to regret about every game. If you can do it at the right time at the end of a game, but before the Victorious screen showed up, you could hit a friendly with your superweapon and have the damage applied. So, yeah, guess what happened just about every game.

Also, got in a TF2 game once with one of the Team Roomba guys so I ended up building a turret in a position to block the spawn door. Then played stupid until he had to beg me to move it. So there's that.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

death .cab for qt posted:

I do the same thing all the time, just as Scout with health packs.

For reference, two classes in TF2 are referred to as "roamers" when played a certain way. They are the Demoman and the Soldier. Both use explosives to propel themselves long distanced while Roaming, which requires them to take a little explosive damage (as much as 1/4 - 1/2 their health) to travel long distances quickly. They usually do this using a series of jumps which propels them to the other side of the map near a full-heal healthkit, so that they can immediately rejoin the fight.

As the Scout, there's a weapon called the Babyface Blaster which allows the scout to run at the maximum allowable speed in the game after dealing enough damage.

Knowing all that, another thing to keep in mind is that the people who do these long jumps toward healthkits also tend to be huge assholes. They're usually competitive players, or wannabe competitive players, who are "pubstars" in that they top score on public servers and may brag about it.

So what I would do is play Babyface Scout, kill a few people to run at max speed, and use a weapon called the Boston Basher which deals self-damage if you swing it without hitting an enemy. Then, when I see a Roamer jump toward the healthkit, I swing the Boston Basher and grab the healthkit. In the meantime I'll shoot a few enemies, try to pick them off, and with any luck the Roamer will either outright die--or I'll be damaged and able to swoop in on the healthkit before they can grab it

The Scout only has 125 health, and can be healed easily near full by a medium-sized health kit, which is much more plentiful. But what if I need more than 100 health healed at once???? Better take that full healthkit.

After the first few times, you'll get called an rear end in a top hat. After half an hour, your Roamer teammates will bitch you out incessantly for stealing their healthkits. The best part? This works for friend or enemy, and stealing an enemy Roamer's healthkit means you corner them while they're low-health as the highest-damage and fastest ambush class in the game.

And if they target you personally for the rest of the game, play as Pyro! Both Demomen and Soldiers use projectile weapons, which Pyros can reflect with an Airblast. So when they get so angry that they try to kill you repeatedly, you can Airblast their own projectiles back at them for a satisfying, rage-inducing kill. :allears:

True pubstars use the black box and the gunboats :smugbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

When my friends and I play we grief each other by turning every level into an every man for himself race to the finish. The first person there also just starts spam using first aid kids. It's not uncommon for the other people to limp into the safe house and have to end up going into the finale in the red.

Things we also do:
Shoot every car alarm.
Stand by the witch long enough to make her angry but not mad enough to attack.
"Help" downed teammates with molotovs.
You don't have to kill the tank just outrun the tank.

PM me your Steam ID because I want to play with you guys. I do this to pubbies in pretty much every game anyways. I particularly enjoy team wiping at the gas station in No Mercy.

The elevator glitch in No Mercy still works if you're on a slightly laggy server, too. You can't object-glitch pubbies any more, but try taking a break > the 15th floor, escape out of the menu, then come back from break...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TheSpiritFox posted:

True pubstars use the black box and the gunboats :smugbert:

Quick reminder that quoting a huge post and adding nothing but dumb commentary like this is no longer allowed!

For content: I used to okay Scond Life with goons and we'd go around looking for people having virtual sex. When we found somebody, we'd get as many goons as we could to come to the location and put on Thomas the Train outfits and just stare at them until they kicked us out. I got banned from the game eventually for being associated with the goon group despite not doing anything to break the rules. gently caress that game and the people that play it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

A while back the creators of a dumb online game called Furcadia were doing a livestream Q&A type thing. I decided to try and mess with them so I decided to quickly make an account and send them a message saying "Hey I drew this fanart please check it out!" with a link to goatse. Not high brow trolling but they opened it on their livestream and got everyone who was watching. The best part was that I did this a second time and they guessed correctly that I had sent them to goatse and then accidentally put it on the stream again. It's not the most sophisticated grief but I found it hilarious that I got them to goatse the stream twice, even though the second time they already knew what it was.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

death .cab for qt posted:

One of the Soldier's primaries is called the Cowmangler 5000. It's a futuristic-looking weapon that fires lasers instead of ballistic rockets but its projectiles are still treated like regular Soldier rockets, which means it can be bounced back with a well-timed Pyro airblast.

The weapon's primary attack is pretty weak but the secondary fire charges up a shot that can vaporize anyone it hits, including collaterals.

I was playing Pyro on Fastlane and pushed into the enemy base. When the door slid open, I was greeted by four, freshly-respawned enemies. One of them was a Soldier who was charging up his Cowmangler. On reflex, I hit M2 and watched the entire team vaporize.

I made sure to taunt for all their deathcams.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have a feeling that we're going to slowly expand the definition of "griefing" in a search for content-worthy posts.

Anyways, Company of Heroes 1 is a WWII RTS that is very good. One of the things you can do with your basic infantry is stringing a barbed wire fence, which costs nothing and actually goes up pretty quickly. This allows you to actually lock off areas of the map by stringing off bridges and the like, because the wire can only be destroyed by heavier vehicles and the weak engineers.

So what can you do at the start of the game? While the enemy is still ranging outwards to capture more of the map you can sneak in behind him and seal off his base. It's a bit tricky since it's an All-In kind of thing and requires an inattentive opponent, but if you can pull it off then you can kill any units he left outside his base and lock him inside until he quits or you run the command point timer down. Even better, denying him fuel locks him into only the most basic of units, while you can scale ever upward. If you don't take any of the capture-to-win command points then you can basically lock him down with machine guns forever.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I miss the days of gaming before the internet, before you knew you were terrible because of strangers who beat you mercilessly. You could just play games with your friends and be equally terrible and just have a nice relaxing game of C&C red alert, co-op, against easy computers. Also the modem boingy boingy sounds were fun.

Well I was allies and he was russian and we built up our super fortresses over a lazy afternoon. Every one of my friends played only russian because their tanks were bigger, so they didn't know or care what the allies did. Mostly sneaky poo poo like cheap, fake buildings and stealing information and money. And a fun thing nobody understood was the spy, who, even to your friends, will cloak himself to look like their own basic machine gun guy. I infiltrated his super fortress with one and stood menacingly adjacent to his construction bay.

I said to him over the phone: "hey, uhh, it says there's a unit of mine in your base but I can't control it? What's up with that?" He says it's a unit of his but he can't control it. It must be a computer spy!

The computer doesn't actually ever build spies but he did not know that. It was like finding an ant in his food and he had to drop everything to manually attack it to get it gone. A few minutes later I sent him another and prodded him again with the concern trolling about spies about to shut down his base from within and again he had to manually attack it, getting frustrated that his guard dogs wouldn't do the only thing they're for - sniffing out spies and attacking them automatically.

After that I didn't have to tell him there were spies coming, it was all he cared about and all he could focus on. I had him buying dozens of guard dogs, making them patrol elaborate paths around the obscenely large impenetrable fortress, behind walls of barbed wire, behind tesla towers, behind radar sweeps, I had him obsessed with security, ranting "why don't the dogs attack?" and "why do the spies just stand there????"

I kept saying "who cares they're harmless help me push" but he wouldn't be deterred from his captain ahab like quest to kill the spies.

Eventually we were going to push for a final battle, at the very least he can make them stop building spies by razing their base. Now, it's been a while, but I think the fog of war worked like this: if you have ever uncovered an area, you always can see that area, unless the allies build a fog-of-war generating building for defense, which I did. Underneath this blind spot in his vision I was manufacturing and amassing hundreds of spies instead of the tanks I had promised him. I sent them all in at once, a glorious charge of useless wastes of money, to clog up his base. He couldn't even force his tanks to drive over them and his base was hopelessly clogged with spies.

He went from hair pullingly frustrated to publisher-clearinghouse-check-recipient bewilderment in an instant, as it dawned on him what had/was happening, and we had a good laugh about it later.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I wouldn't mind this thread just becoming something for funny video game stories.

I remember one grief I did in Wargame: European Escalation that unfortunately died off with the sequel. For those who don't know the game, it's a semi-realistic RTS where the only real base management is calling in command vehicles (CVs) into command zones, which give you points to call in units from the edge of the map. The default game mode is Destruction which gives points for units destroyed based on their cost until hitting a predetermined point limit or time limit, but it's possible to switch off both the points and the time limit, so the only way to win is to destroy all the command vehicles of the enemy player. This game also had a strangely huge 1v1 map, Hell's Highway, where half the map would be completely ignored since it didn't have any command zones and thus nothing to fight over. The map was also mostly forested.

What I would do is create a game with no point/time limit, spawn a bunch of CVs and anti-aircraft guns, and send them to all four corners of the map. The opponent would deploy normally, expecting the usual opposing force to start contesting whatever he's trying to take, but would slowly creep forward and realize that there actually was no enemy force, and that he would have to hunt down some CVs to win. Since the map was mostly forested, actually spotting the CVs required having a unit getting absurdly close (500m when the map is a 21km square). This usually meant players would spawn a bunch of helicopters and comb the map with them, trying to find all the CVs, and end up running into the scattered AAA guns and dying. Since availability for all units was restricted and most people didn't pack a lot of helicopters, eventually people ran out and were forced to find the CVs on foot, which was much harder since things in forests move slower and get stuck pretty frequently. Every single game I did this, it took over an hour for the other guy to win if he didn't just AFK or surrender outright. Sometimes, when I was paying attention and feeling particularly mean, I would move a CV to where I knew they scouted, so they would spend their time looking over the rest of the map without thinking to recheck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have a feeling that we're going to slowly expand the definition of "griefing" in a search for content-worthy posts.

Without a doubt. This method was used in other threads to control rampant poo poo posting. I admit it has the desired effect in that there is less poo poo posting, but you might as well just leave the thread closed or deal with the poo poo posting because the rule basically destroys any humor the thread may have had. Now instead of people telling actual funny stories and then bantering about them naturally(with the occasional interrupting poo poo post/derail, oh no!), people will randomly select a post to quote, say whatever it was they wanted to say, and then throw in some low effort, unfunny "grief" at the end of their post just so they don't get probated, all the while knowing it's a terrible story that nobody cares to hear. Welcome to thread life support.

Content: one time in League of Legends I was playing as Amumu (a character who's lore gimmick is "he's sad!") and just bought multiple copies of an item everyone just called "Tears" (they were shaped like a tear drop) to roleplay the character despite the fact that it is a terrible item for Amumu. When asked by my teammates why in the world I had nothing but tears I told them because I'm very sad. This made them very angry!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJAN1oDRJpk

More stupid LoL stuff, using a character's wall ability to kill teammates or deny them kills.

And yeah gamers.txt is unrepentant circlejerky rear end garbage with a few funny entries. Grognards.txt a bit less so, but I still can't see this thread going places that either of those haven't already gone.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I was in college when Starcraft came out so my roommates and I spent a lot of time playing it. This meant when Brood War came out we were all on the top of our game. We decided to try some comp stops to learn the new units when I discovered that if you mind control a builder unit of another race, You get a full 200 supply of that race as well. This led to us going online in one of those big game hunter infinite money maps that people loved so much. I got really quick at building to the dark Archon, took my teammates scv and built up to 200 supply of Battlecruisers while also keeping my Protoss at normal build. When we finally attacked, the guys on the other team got really pissed when thet realized that we basically ended up having the units of a 3 on 2. I'm not sure if they ever patched this out, but it really only worked on the money maps anyway. (Though you probably could switch races mid game with this)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I have this thread and the TF2 thread bookmarked, and sometimes I forget which one I'm reading but I've got a fun story regardless. Back in the early days of TF2 it used to be that engineers used to not be able to move the buildings they built, so if they built somewhere bad they were just poo poo out of luck unless they blew it up and rebuilt somewhere else. Now there is a fairly lengthy setup time before the match starts where the defense can set up and be in position. An engineer started building up a sentry gun in an absolutely terrible spot and somehow everyone spontaneously decided to gently caress with guy for it. An engineer can speed up building things by hitting them with their melee weapon which happens to be a wrench. Everyone crowded around the sentry pretending to help by hitting it with there own melee weapon. We had so many people surrounding it that the engineer couldn't reach it. He gets upset and gets on the mic to yell at us asking us what we are doing, and one of the guys on our team immediately yells back "It's called teamwork, human being." The engineer gets mad and disconnects and I end up laughing so hard I miss the beginning of the match and get killed right off the bat. I remember it like it was yesterday.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The other day some goons invited me to some Mann Vs Machine matches. I love coop and shooting robots owns. I also love explosive jumping away from the guy who is trying to heal you at the beginning of the round just to make him go, "DUDE WTF."

What isn't fun is him literally looking your direction and watching you burn to death/ explode/ riddled full of bullets and never ever do anything to help you from there on out.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Last night I was playing Mann vs. Machine. On one of the new maps there's a pit of whirling blades that instantly kill any player or robot that steps into them. There is also a banana peel right next to the trap that makes anybody who steps on it fall into the blades. An engineer built his teleporter as close to the blades/banana as possible so that taking the teleporter was pretty much a guaranteed death sentence.

We all accidentally killed ourselves once each and had a good laugh at the prank. Then we all got into position at the front lines and waited for the robots to come.

Then the engineer snuck up behind us while we were focused on the bots and built the teleporter entrance right underneath our feet.

We did not survive the wave.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62URvUUDvw
For an example of the TF2 banana peel in action, have a video of TF2 personality STAR_ doing it to hie friends, along with many other fun ways the Engineer can mess with people.

There's one that non-players probably won't quite notice/understand. In Mann vs Machine, if an Engineer's sentry has been doing too well, the game will spawn a special Sentry Buster enemy and announce it. Sentry Busters are naval mines on legs. They have a decent amount of health and one job: Walk straight towards the offending sentry and explode next to it, leaving a cloud of obscuring smoke and killing the sentry, themselves and everything near it. They do the same thing if you kill them. Engineers can pick up and carry their sentries around, and if there's a Sentry Buster they'll follow you to the end of the earth. You're supposed to lead the sentry buster around so your teammates can kill it. STAR_, being a jerk, puts his sentry down next to a teammate who's looking the other way. KABOOM.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Shortest Path posted:

And yeah gamers.txt is unrepentant circlejerky rear end garbage with a few funny entries.

And god forbid you call them out on it while having your own gamers.txt post. It then just turns into a normal shitposting thread but with people coming up with even further and further reaching examples just so they don't get banned.

On that note, content part of post: Red Faction Guerrilla's building mechanics made it extremely easy to grief. All you had to do was jump under a friendly "l33t snipah" on the floor above and do the overhead swing with the hammer. It'll make them fall through the floor and on some of the bigger buildings you could create a massive hole for them to fall down into. Combine that with C4 on the side of the building to collapse walls into them you could pretty reliably teamkill snipers who weren't contributing.

On that same note you could also dick move snipers by repairing destroyed walls that they're stood behind trying to get a shot. gently caress those guys now and forever, they contribute nothing.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I had a class in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 solely to irritate campers and snipers. Choose any primary weapon, smoke grenades and One Man Army. OMA was a perk that allowed you to change class on the fly, at the cost of no secondary weapon and a few seconds of vulnerability while changing. Changing classes, however, would grant full ammo for all your equipment - including smoke grenades.

You could creep up behind the sniper, pop smoke right on top of him and immediately activate OMA. The blinding cloud of smoke lasted far longer than the class switch time, allowing you infinitely envelop the sniper in a enormous cloud. Even better, it attracted enemy attention, who would often toss a frag into the cloud and kill both of you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
this extension is amazing:

Wild T posted:

You could creep up behind the sniper, pop smoke right on top of him and immediately activate OMA. The blinding butt of smoke lasted far longer than the class switch time, allowing you infinitely envelop the sniper in a enormous butt. Even better, it attracted enemy attention, who would often toss a frag into my butt and kill both of you.

Content: Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS that takes place on giant continent sized maps. Each faction has a "warpgate", a home base of sorts that serves as a staging area. In this warpgate, friendly-fire is turned off, and it's impossible for anyone inside the warpgate to take damage (enemies can't get inside these warpgates).

Because it's impossible to take damage, a fun thing to do is to spawn fighter aircraft and use them to nudge the landed Galaxies (large transport jets used by many to transports large groups of players to drop onto a point) into an inverted position, where they'll stay there, upside down, unable to move. Forever.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Strotski posted:

A decade ago I was playing on some local private UO server. It was a standard renaissance shard with no expansions.
When you loot somebody it printed a message to everyone "You see <name> looting the corpse of <name2>" in gray letters.
So what I did, is that first I killed myself at some major traffic point without anyone noticing it. Then I ran to my corpse and used hiding skill to hide.

(For those who've never played UO - You could freely loot PK (red) players but if you loot gray/blue ones you get marked as criminal and can be easily killed in major cities by summoning guards.)

At that point I tabbed to my other UO window with other character, and waited for someone to come to my corpse, and I'd spam "You see <name> looting the corpse of <name2>" in gray letters, while at the same time moving stuff around in my corpse with my hidden character in window 1, took some, placed some in bag that was in the corpse. To the observer it just looked that some PK died and I was looting all of his stuff.

Many people took the bait and started looting my corpse, it marked them as a criminal, at that point I'd shout "Guards" and the person would be dead in a second. Then I'd loot all of his stuff (which marked me as a criminal), recalled to my house, unloaded, waited for criminal status to go away and then repeat the whole process in another town.

Everyone is always interested in free loot. They will always pick it up and click on it no matter what sketchy poo poo is around them. My story combines this and that DayZ spray a banana with bleach story.

In UO there used to be a skill for poisoning. It was a bitch to level up. Basically the ingredients were constantly bought out in towns and you had to make close to a hundred thousand potions to get fully leveled up to 100. Even if you could get access to the materials to make a poison potion, it still cost you about 4 million gold to fully level it up. Once you were 100 in it, you could start coating your blades with deadly poison. This was tough to cure and could kill someone in a matter of moments if you put it on them. It made dexxing (right click) poisoners nigh unstoppable.

Except I wasn't a dexxer.

I was a carpenter.

My character I did this on was a mule. I'd make a whole bunch of boxes and drop them in front of dungeon entrances. I'd make a whole bunch of boxes and drop them throughout the dungeon. Towns were lined in my boxes. Guild halls and player houses and random shrines and healers had boxes upon boxes dropped here and there. Everyone loves boxes.

Each box was coated with poison and rigged with traps. Every item inside the box was coated with poison. This was before they patched in the clause that whoever poisons someone also gets the murder kill for them. I was unstoppable, invinceable. No one could kill me because I was never red, and everyone would fall for my trapped boxes because everyone likes free stuff. I had dudes bite it right in front of me, I'd loot their corpse of everything but leave the box with more trapped items inside of it. The people would come back to their looted corpses, see the box, open it up, see an apple, eat it, and die to poison again.

All of this came to a head when there was a giant dragon boss in Desolace. Must have been 80 to 150 people there, could never tell with that game. I wasn't doing any damage, and like most people, I was waiting around for the dragon corpse to hit the floor to start mass looting. Only when the dragon corpse hit the floor, suddenly 50 boxes appeared over all the gold and vanquisher blades and iron armor. People snapped them up and gleefully ripped them open.

The death toll rivaled anything I've ever done in a video game since then. People in full valorite armor were dropping next to me like flies. Blues climbed over one another to loot the suddenly dead power users. People turned red, and then reds tried to run, which caused more bedlam. Everyone died that day. Everyone but the poison mule.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Back when I played Left 4 Dead 2 almost every night, me and my regular group knew every map inside out, so we came up with ways to amuse ourselves when playing against pubbies.

We would set up a server with alltalk on (meaning everyone can hear what you're saying, even the opposite team), disable our in-game mic, and coordinate through teamspeak. It was fun hearing the enemy team becoming more and more frustrated as we tore through every strategy they tried.

Sometimes, when playing as infected, we would single out one of the survivors, kill the other three and then "escort" him through the level, keeping just out of sight and clearing a path by killing common infected. More often than not they were absolutely paranoid as of what we were up to, as in "I see them skulking around, I'm all alone, why don't they just kill me and be done with it?"

Good times :allears:

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
There is a F2P Counterstrike-ish game called Tactical Intervention. On most servers team killing is off but you can still have fun griefing people on maps with vehicles by running them over with cars, forklifts and those little car things that take baggage to airplanes.

The best part is this doesn't kill your teammate but it does cause them to do a complete 360 degree roll including their vision of the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The UO poison box story was great.

Speaking of helpful L4D infected, being a Hero Tank is always a good way to piss off your infected teammates. This is done by spawning as a Tank (rare big zombie, extremely high damage and health, can be a game ender. Basically a mini boss) and running up to the survivors until they see you. At that point turn around and start clearing a path for them, smacking any zombies that run by to get to them. Half of the time they just gun you down anyways, but other times they really appreciate it and will stay right behind you as you wreck your way through the level.

The Tank is on a timer so he is short-lived, but even a few minutes can be magical

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's kind of tough to pull off, but pretty rewarding. In Civilization IV, and probably V, although I haven't tried it, you and an enterprising partner in crime can wrap your two civilizations around a victim by rushing cities early in the game. When they come to the realization that they are trapped in the donut hole formed by your borders, deny them their request for Open Borders. People playing Civilization online tend to be super serious try-hards, and will flip when they realize you've boxed them in. Try referring to "the noob nub", "idiot quarantine zone", or "reservation" in the chat, and see what happens.

An easier grief is to just stop taking your turn after a while, but it's not really as satisfying.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I loved Tinkering in UO. It was pretty much nothing but punishing idiots for being greedy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Doltos, you are a good person. :allears:

deadly_pudding posted:

It's kind of tough to pull off, but pretty rewarding. In Civilization IV, and probably V, although I haven't tried it, you and an enterprising partner in crime can wrap your two civilizations around a victim by rushing cities early in the game.
This is practically impossible in Civ 5 due to how much harder it is to claim territory. Founding new cities is just too much of a pain in the rear end, and you now grow your influence one hex at a time instead of many, many squares the way you did in 4. Furthermore lots of little cities are a ton harder to defend properly due to the One Unit Per Space change. In 4, you could just move a doomstack wherever it was needed, but now you can't. If you do something like this you're probably just going to antagonize someone to attack you, and be at a serious disadvantage due to the current metagame that 'wide' empires (lots of little cities) are quantitatively worse than 'tall' empires (a couple big ones). And they're worse by a lot.

The poisoning story reminds me of a badmin thing I did when I was helping host a private shard back in college. It was a small shard, and we set it up as a dueling cities thing. The other server admin was the in-game leader of the 'good' town, and I was the in-game leader of the 'evil' town. In reality, the distinction between good and evil went only as far as the architecture and names of the cities, though (my town was set out of tombs and had bones and poo poo everywhere) because outside of city limits pretty much everyone was a sadistic little poo poo that barely needed a reason to murder something.

We allowed people to be neutral, mostly for trade purposes, and over time an unofficial village of merchants developed between the cities. Depending on who was online at the time, the village was either a place of an awkward truce or a complete bloodbath. Officially, you were supposed to take fights outside because merchants were squishy and they were also temperamental. If you accidentally killed one in the crossfire, he'd probably refuse to sell anything to your entire town for at least a week. And with PvP actively encouraged, that was hard. You went through a TON of gear.

This led to a couple of particularly successful merchants getting REALLY uppity about violence happening on their doorstep. So much as a few punches between guilds and they'd throw up their hands dramatically and leave for the day.

Back in college, I was a much angrier, more spiteful man than I am now. These days I'd probably just roll my eyes and call him a weirdo, but at that point I got all up in my head over how they weren't playing the PvP server right. So, over the course of a month or so, I got sick and tired of these merchants, and decided to screw with them.

In UO, there's a few modifiers you can put on a weapon. There was the usual Blessed and Cursed that did exactly what you'd expect, gave you a stat bonus or a stat penalty if you equipped them. But there was also another tier to that, Heavenly and Damned, which would make you extremely powerful or useless as gently caress, depending. Damned items were quite a pain in the rear end to remove.

So what I did is walked around in GM ghost mode and just observed the merchants I hated for a week. I took careful note of who they argued with and who they had disputes with. Then, a week later, I walked in under GM ghost mode again, and observed a few trades being done. After the money and items changed hands, I'd open the customer's pack and apply the Damned modifier to what he just bought. It didn't show up when glancing at it and people rarely equipped items right after purchase - they're typically buying stuff to replace the stuff they're wearing when they die next.

So their most awkward and on-edge customers walked away with heavily cursed equipment, which they would then equip a day or three later. The result was pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The merchant could sputteringly deny it, and yes, it did look sort of weird that newly crafted items were so heavily cursed, but we had an expanded magical system on the shard to do stuff like this, as Damning equipment that your opponent liked, and then dropping it in front of them later, was one of the bigger insults between feuding guild members. It became a ritual with my town to butcher the griefed merchant, cook up cutlets of him, and then eat them in front of him when you saw him next. It was hysterical.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

It's kind of tough to pull off, but pretty rewarding. In Civilization IV, and probably V, although I haven't tried it, you and an enterprising partner in crime can wrap your two civilizations around a victim by rushing cities early in the game. When they come to the realization that they are trapped in the donut hole formed by your borders, deny them their request for Open Borders. People playing Civilization online tend to be super serious try-hards, and will flip when they realize you've boxed them in. Try referring to "the noob nub", "idiot quarantine zone", or "reservation" in the chat, and see what happens.

An easier grief is to just stop taking your turn after a while, but it's not really as satisfying.

You forgot phase 2 of that, which is crank out a shitload of spies and constantly poison their cities' water supplies, which keeps their population low, so that they make very slow progress in building and researching things.

Then, defend them vigorously from any outside threats. Keep them alive, unable to do anything, turn after turn after turn.

If you do it right, they're still in the middle ages, tech-wise, doing nothing but pressing "enter" to end their turn, while they watch you blast off in a sweet spaceship or something.

• Locked thread