Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BoFIV is the only Breath of Fire plot to draw more than a resigned shrug from me.

And come on, literally the entire first half (probably more) of 2 is a giant fetch quest, and then the end of the game just sort of happens. Compared to that BoFIV is a masterpiece of pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The Breath of Fire series is one that I enjoyed as a kid, I still enjoy playing through 1-3 every now and then, yet I could definitely point out the flaws. In addition to everything mention, how about 2's hideous encounter rate and even more hideous escape rate? Or that 3 has a handful of pain-in-the-rear end dungeons, and that 3 has no real villain for the last 2/3 of the game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Am I the only person who got beaten by the gold plains in BoF4? I know this sounds really stupid but as a kid I spent literal hours trying to find the Cray's Camp in that and I never could. I double and triple checked the directions, I tried following the route in ordinal directions and sub-ordinal directions, I tried finding it broad sweeps of the general directed area, I tried going in the opposite directions in case I'd been reading the compass wrong, I tried turning the game off and on again and cleaning the disc, nothing worked. I've never been able to figure out why I couldn't find what was apparently a very simple location after hours of scrutiny, to this day that experience has baffled me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

In Gold Plains, game beats you.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
BoF4 is a gorgeous game with a great soundtrack, great characters (Ershin is amazing) and good mechanics (combo system, skills, switching party members in combat, improved master system). If it had a dragon system like 3 (and while you're at it toss in a Shaman system) it would have improved on its predecessors in every way. It is the best RPG in the series and would be the best game except Dragon Quarter exists. Yeah it could stand to lose some minigames, but they were a lot more tolerable than 3's (except for Shisu and training Beyd which were memorable and fun).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Am I the only person who got beaten by the gold plains in BoF4? I know this sounds really stupid but as a kid I spent literal hours trying to find the Cray's Camp in that and I never could. I double and triple checked the directions, I tried following the route in ordinal directions and sub-ordinal directions, I tried finding it broad sweeps of the general directed area, I tried going in the opposite directions in case I'd been reading the compass wrong, I tried turning the game off and on again and cleaning the disc, nothing worked. I've never been able to figure out why I couldn't find what was apparently a very simple location after hours of scrutiny, to this day that experience has baffled me.
I FAQ'ed that poo poo so fast cause I wasn't having anything resembling the BoF3 desert happen to me again.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

derra posted:

BoF4 is a gorgeous game with a great soundtrack, great characters (Ershin is amazing) and good mechanics (combo system, skills, switching party members in combat, improved master system). If it had a dragon system like 3 (and while you're at it toss in a Shaman system) it would have improved on its predecessors in every way. It is the best RPG in the series and would be the best game except Dragon Quarter exists. Yeah it could stand to lose some minigames, but they were a lot more tolerable than 3's (except for Shisu and training Beyd which were memorable and fun).

BOF4 is a gorgeous game EXCEPT when it comes to enemy models. For some reason they dropped the pretty sprites of BOF3 and did polygonal messes for enemies and it really hurts the aesthetic. The sprites they do have are wonderful but I think that decision really took away a lot of the charm BOF3 had.

I like every game in that series for one reason or another but I always land on 2 or 3 being my favorites just becuase of how expansive they are.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

derra posted:

except for Shisu and training Beyd which were memorable and fun).

I think you might be the only person to hold this opinion

in..the world

everyone I've ever talked to about 3 has said gently caress the sushi minigame.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think I've played it twice and each time I just aimlessly wandered around until eventually arriving there, it's just terribly designed and they don't actually tell you how to get there I think

derra
Dec 29, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

I think you might be the only person to hold this opinion

in..the world

everyone I've ever talked to about 3 has said gently caress the sushi minigame.

The shisu minigame is the best because no one knows what they are doing.

How big a fish? How much horseradish? HOW MANY KNEADS???

Then the screen goes Glorious Nippon and you get a burnt seed or something.

The minigame is so bad that it's the best.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

It's kind of like trying to build a model but all the instructions are in japanese and there are no pictures and also you gathered all the model pieces yourself and if you don't put it together properly they blow up

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Endorph posted:

And come on, literally the entire first half (probably more) of 2 is a giant fetch quest, and then the end of the game just sort of happens. Compared to that BoFIV is a masterpiece of pacing.

Whoa whoa, what? You start off by waking up in some crazy alternate reality where your family has disappeared and you live in an orphanage, and all you have in life is your best buddy Bow. You slowly uncover the plot of an evil demonic cult (while trying to exonerate your fugitive best friend (while growing your badass dragon powers)) that has infiltrated nearly everything before traveling to an earthly hell to do battle with said demon. In the course of this adventure one of your friends turns into a giant loving bird and you rescue (or don't) your father who you believed was long dead. There's a tribe of motherfucking monkeys ripped straight from Planet of the Apes somewhere in there. There's so much kickass poo poo in that plot I can't even remember it all.

I've always considered BoF II to be on the SNES RPG pantheon. Is it as good as CT or SoM? Nah. But it's drat good and probably the best effort Capcom ever made in terms of an RPG.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BoF4 is probably my favorite game in the series next to Dragon Quarter. But it was also the first Breath of Fire game I ever played so nostalgia probably influenced that.

I still want a digital release of BoF 4 for the PC but knowing Capcom, that probably won't happen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Whoa whoa, what? You start off by waking up in some crazy alternate reality where your family has disappeared and you live in an orphanage, and all you have in life is your best buddy Bow. You slowly uncover the plot of an evil demonic cult (while trying to exonerate your fugitive best friend (while growing your badass dragon powers)) that has infiltrated nearly everything before traveling to an earthly hell to do battle with said demon. In the course of this adventure one of your friends turns into a giant loving bird and you rescue (or don't) your father who you believed was long dead. There's a tribe of motherfucking monkeys ripped straight from Planet of the Apes somewhere in there. There's so much kickass poo poo in that plot I can't even remember it all.
You spend half the game chasing around a batlady while your best friend tries and fails to make a house with a guy who may or may not want to cannibalize him, and you spend at least five hours doing incomprehensibly stupid poo poo with a frog.

Okay, it might not be literally five hours, but it sure felt like it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a bit of a question - Are any of the other Wild Arms games past 2 any good? I've been replaying WA2 lately because it's the second best RPG with an off-brand Kamen Rider protagonist (out of two), and I'm thinking of giving the others a try once I'm done.

I've played WA1 before, and while it's competent enough, the in-game models just kill it for me. That, and it's locked up the last four times I've played it in the exact same place, so I'm a little soured on it. So, are any of the others good, or should I just dismiss them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked 3 well enough. Though it's the only one I've played recently, so I can't speak for how it compares to the others.

Though unlike 2, the translation isn't the best/worst thing ever.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 23, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I've got a bit of a question - Are any of the other Wild Arms games past 2 any good? I've been replaying WA2 lately because it's the second best RPG with an off-brand Kamen Rider protagonist (out of two), and I'm thinking of giving the others a try once I'm done.

I've played WA1 before, and while it's competent enough, the in-game models just kill it for me. That, and it's locked up the last four times I've played it in the exact same place, so I'm a little soured on it. So, are any of the others good, or should I just dismiss them?

Wait, you find Wild Arms 2 remotely enjoyable? If that is the case go hog wild they're all amazing and will blow your mind with their actual in-English text boxes. Realistically 3-5 have more interesting combat systems and streamline some of the more archaic things from WA2 (except that goddamn search gimmick) to be vastly more playable and even more anime games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

S-Alpha posted:

3 and 5 are pretty great, 4 is hot garbage.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Endorph posted:

You spend half the game chasing around a batlady while your best friend tries and fails to make a house with a guy who may or may not want to cannibalize him, and you spend at least five hours doing incomprehensibly stupid poo poo with a frog.

Okay, it might not be literally five hours, but it sure felt like it.

Stupid poo poo? That frog wants to get his gently caress on with a witch, and he was deposed by an impostor frog! drat BoF2 kicks rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

WA3 is pretty good. WA5 isn't too bad but has some flaws. WA4 is garbage and should be avoided

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Suikoden sucks a pretty crazy amount of rear end compared to Suikoden 2. Not even worth playing really. Skip to 2, play three, ignore the rest of the series.

Ignore this man as hard as you can. Suikoden 2 may be much better than 1, but one of the best things about the Suikoden trilogy is the continuity between each game. If everyone's a stranger in 2 I feel a lot of the impact of the game is missed.

If you skip right to the dessert you'll be left hungry at the end. For people who have never played the series; play Suikoden 1-3 in order, maybe play 5, and then go back and play 2 again in six months with the save you still have from the end of 1. There is no such thing as Suikoden 4 or Tierkies stop making up things.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

BoF4 is probably my favorite game in the series next to Dragon Quarter. But it was also the first Breath of Fire game I ever played so nostalgia probably influenced that.

I still want a digital release of BoF 4 for the PC but knowing Capcom, that probably won't happen.

Breath of Fire 4 PC already exists. It came out years ago in Europe. It's fully in English and would run fine on any modern pc. As far as finding a copy now I'm not sure how you'd do that but it's out there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I found Suikoden 1 boring as all hell. Never played 2. Enjoyed 3 a fair bit - if anything because the villain wasn't just a cackling megalomaniac. Fell asleep during 4, and got stuck in the intro of 5.

I also really, really dislike the whole 'collect 'em all' aspect of the games - it makes me feel like I'm constantly missing something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Levantine posted:

Breath of Fire 4 PC already exists. It came out years ago in Europe. It's fully in English and would run fine on any modern pc. As far as finding a copy now I'm not sure how you'd do that but it's out there.

I know it exists, I just think it'd be nice for it to be available digitally on Steam or GOG or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I know it exists, I just think it'd be nice for it to be available digitally on Steam or GOG or something.

Oh, gotcha. Yes - I wish a lot of the old PS1 classics would be made available that way. Steam would have even more of my money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Coughing Hobo posted:

3 and 5 are pretty great, 4 is hot garbage.

Alter Code F is decent enough as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Alter Code F is decent enough as well.

Alter Code F is kind of worse than Wild Arms 1 in every way but graphics. (And even then they poo poo up some of the character designs.) It has some core good ideas but it's too loaded down with bullshit baggage and things like the Search System.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Wait, you find Wild Arms 2 remotely enjoyable? If that is the case go hog wild they're all amazing and will blow your mind with their actual in-English text boxes. Realistically 3-5 have more interesting combat systems and streamline some of the more archaic things from WA2 (except that goddamn search gimmick) to be vastly more playable and even more anime games.

Well, aside from the translation, which is definitely bad, but I can mostly gleam what it's talking about or what it wants me to do, there's nothing I really don't like about it. Maybe there should've been some actual drawbacks to using Knight Blazer or at least Over Blazer like there were with Alkaiser in SaGa Frontier, but that's the worst of it. Even the search system wasn't too bad, except for that one dungeon in the desert which is kinda inexcusable.

Sounds like at least 3/5 are decent enough games, then. I'll have to see if I can get them on the cheap.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Levantine posted:

Oh, gotcha. Yes - I wish a lot of the old PS1 classics would be made available that way. Steam would have even more of my money.

The PC version is a little buggy unfortunately, it may lock up or at least poo poo itself during a couple of cutscenes in the game. Other than that it was an okay port, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had issues with Windows 7/8 these days.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

Wait, you find Wild Arms 2 remotely enjoyable? If that is the case go hog wild they're all amazing and will blow your mind with their actual in-English text boxes.

Wild ARMs 2's "English" is so amazingly bad that it's awesome. If you can't enjoy things like

then I think you might just hate fun. Really, the worst part about the text is that loving font makes it harder to read than it should be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So what are those examples supposed to actually say? They're hilarious, but they don't have the kind of broken semi-literate English that really bad translations do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ya I'm curious if some diehard Wild Arms fan has done a proper english translation based on the Japanese game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

So what are those examples supposed to actually say? They're hilarious, but they don't have the kind of broken semi-literate English that really bad translations do.

Honestly, those are some of the least bad examples. There are a couple puzzles where the instructions are poems or obtuse hints that are in gibberish English which can make deciphering exactly what you're supposed to do nigh impossible.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I think there's a mythology-based puzzle where the hints for what to do start drawing gods from the wrong pantheon.

I think my favorite part is the subplot about the nuke. Everyone is going ape over the nuke and how to stop the nuke from getting launched. Eventually you have to intercept it after it has been launched and it turns out the nuke is a dragon. nobody is surprised by this.

oh...of course it was a dragon.....duh!!!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dragonatrix posted:

Wild ARMs 2's "English" is so amazingly bad that it's awesome. If you can't enjoy things like

then I think you might just hate fun. Really, the worst part about the text is that loving font makes it harder to read than it should be.

Those screenshots read like someone somehow inserted an Archer script before there was Archer. I don't remember that translation being nearly that bad but I was a pretty dumb kid too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Some of them are pretty much right.

The first is basically literal. It's a silly joke, with the idea being that the doctor basically is Zoidberg from Futurama.

The second is them basically adding in an editor note to the line because it uses a specific honorific in Japanese. It's really weird because they don't do that anywhere.

The third is an insane joke they added in translation for some reason.

Same with the fourth. They put in emoticon because... something?

The last is supposed to be "Kanon is crying."

There's a lot of other insane translation errors which are a lot more egregious and not in there. The most infamous is Liz, who is a character who speaks entirely in goofy Japanese puns and idioms... which they translated entirely literally. So his dialogue becomes entirely incomprehensible.

Wild Arms 2 is a silly game to begin with it's worth noting. One character's supporting cast is literally Tony Stark and Scott Summers as children. Like not "they are similar." Literally those characters named Tony Stark and Scott Summers. Tony Stark even has clothing designed around the Iron Man costume.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2014

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, those are all silly and funny, but Wild Arms 2 has much more incomprehensible/poorly written bullshit than it does funny jokes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Yeah, those are all silly and funny, but Wild Arms 2 has much more incomprehensible/poorly written bullshit than it does funny jokes.

I like this because I absolutely cannot imagine what they are trying to convey with that line and they shipped it anyway. Someone proof-read it and said "eh, context" and shipped the game with dialogue like that. I love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

I like this because I absolutely cannot imagine what they are trying to convey with that line and they shipped it anyway. Someone proof-read it and said "eh, context" and shipped the game with dialogue like that. I love it.
My favorite part of bad translations is when they bust out words like 'vacillating' immediately after 'this guy are sick' levels of basic grammatical gently caress-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wendell posted:

Yeah, ok, that's a bad translation alright.