Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Why is Best Box Office Draw a voting category? It's preposterous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is it my imagination or over the past few months, has Dave gotten a lot... sharper when Sting and Fedor are brought up?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
For a WWE contracted talent Dean Ambrose swears up a storm on today's Art of Wrestling.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rovert posted:

For a WWE contracted talent Dean Ambrose swears up a storm on today's Art of Wrestling.

Any good?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
It is and it isn't. It is largely him being grumpy about his time on the indies on a non-specfic basis with little if at all WWE/NXT talk.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

rovert posted:

You can also tell he has a dip approximately the size of a softball in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[edit] ^^^^^ oh god I can hear it now :gonk: nothing like firing into a spitter

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any good?

the reveal early on who his roommate is is pretty funny though.

NXT's Big Cas

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 23, 2014

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

harperdc posted:

[edit] ^^^^^ oh god I can hear it now :gonk: nothing like firing into a spitter

the reveal early on who his roommate is is pretty funny though.

NXT's Big Cas

And once you hear it you can't not hear it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Late on listening to this show, but I would like to have more of Craig on the Bryan and Vinny shows

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

harperdc posted:

NXT's Big Cas

Makes sense on how he's developed as a talker so quickly. Paired with a great talker on TV, rooms with a great talker too.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Late on listening to this show, but I would like to have more of Craig on the Bryan and Vinny shows

I think he's a great third man, and it's fun when they get sidetracked into shooting the breeze for a few minutes. Bryan was VERY upset about that curly fry.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The second part of the Austin/Piper interview isn't as good as the first but the exchange about Piper wanting nothing more than to be remembered as a good dad and Austin basically saying that ship has sailed for him really got to me. I think I could listen to these guys converse for hours.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Is this the thread we're going to talk Observer awards?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Dave ripping The Miz is pretty funny.

PS. Why does Daniel Bryan keep winning best technical wrestler?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Cabana's talking to Ambrose, yo.

Edit: Also look at this loving Sweater that Subway sent him.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 23, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

Dave has a bit of a point in that mat wrestling isn't emphasised a lot these days, so it's about equal parts people voting that category as 'best worker in ring' and reputation, as Bryan really was the best technical wrestler in the world for a good few years on the indies.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

As Dave said, there's no prominent high level technical mat wrestlers in WWE or NJPW right now, so it's basically the "Bryan Danielson Award for excellence in the field of being Daniel Bryan".

I voted for Tana simply because he's the best worker in the world right now. I know that's really more Most Outstanding but I couldn't think of anyone better.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think the "by default" argument for Bryan's continued winning is kind of bullshit. There's obviously an argument to be made for Tanahashi in that category but people are really underselling how often Bryan is putting on really good matches in WWE with far more limitations than the guys in Japan have.

For Bryan to have worked within the strict confines of WWE and still put together the type of 2013 he had is as impressive or even more so to me than what goes on in New Japan, even if the New Japan matches are better as a whole.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think the "by default" argument for Bryan's continued winning is kind of bullshit. There's obviously an argument to be made for Tanahashi in that category but people are really underselling how often Bryan is putting on really good matches in WWE with far more limitations than the guys in Japan have.

For Bryan to have worked within the strict confines of WWE and still put together the type of 2013 he had is as impressive or even more so to me than what goes on in New Japan, even if the New Japan matches are better as a whole.

I think the issue here is that the category is supposed to be for technical mat-based wrestling matches, not just "great matches"

Like Dean Malenko won in 96-97. I think the category you're talking about would be "Outstanding Wrestler"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dean Ambrose fuckin hates y'all nerds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I think the issue here is that the category is supposed to be for technical mat-based wrestling matches, not just "great matches"

Like Dean Malenko won in 96-97. I think the category you're talking about would be "Outstanding Wrestler"

And the best matches voting does sort of back up Dave's argument that among the voting base at least... Punk's actually had a better year in ring than Bryan. No shame on Bryan, but I think Punk's promo ability tends to make people downplay how good he is at putting a match together, especially when he's got a great opponent to work off. And the two matches that wound up in the top ten are neat, in that he was the heel in one and face in the other (albeit against an overwhelming force of nature in both).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

And the best matches voting does sort of back up Dave's argument that among the voting base at least... Punk's actually had a better year in ring than Bryan. No shame on Bryan, but I think Punk's promo ability tends to make people downplay how good he is at putting a match together, especially when he's got a great opponent to work off. And the two matches that wound up in the top ten are neat, in that he was the heel in one and face in the other (albeit against an overwhelming force of nature in both).

Punk vs. Lesnar was the WWE MOTY in my book, but Bryan vs. Cena wasn't far behind and Bryan's regular Raw matches were better on average than Punk's IMO.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Quite honestly, if we're talking strictly mat wrestling, it should've been Kyle O'Reilly by quite a large margin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thauros posted:

Punk vs. Lesnar was the WWE MOTY in my book, but Bryan vs. Cena wasn't far behind and Bryan's regular Raw matches were better on average than Punk's IMO.

Probably true, but if you're a little hazy and just decide to look at the 'big' matches the leading candidates have had this year, Punk's had more that would be in the 'classic' category. It's less about consistency (whether it SHOULD be is a different question) and more about what stands out.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

because mat and submission-based wrestling is pretty much dead I've expanded my definitions of a technical wrestler, and voted for Tanahashi.

ChampRamp posted:

it's funny but I always hate when he brings up the "you were a wrestling fan but you never went to a wrestling show?" thing. you can be a fan of a band and never see them live, and you can be a fan of wrestling the same way. I didn't have the opportunity to go to a WWE show until a couple years ago even though I've been watching since '98.

his other criticisms of Miz are pretty valid, however.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 23, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Bryan is the default guy because he was the best at it on the indies and nobody really came close.

I don't really vote for him in that category anymore because while he's probably still great at it he doesn't get to work matches that style much anymore.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Well, looks like euroresu is over. Gutted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cardboard Box posted:

because mat and submission-based wrestling is pretty much dead I've expanded my definitions of a technical wrestler, and voted for Tanahashi.

it's funny but I always hate when he brings up the "you were a wrestling fan but you never went to a wrestling show?" thing. you can be a fan of a band and never see them live, and you can be a fan of wrestling the same way. I didn't have the opportunity to go to a WWE show until a couple years ago even though I've been watching since '98.

I think he means more that you have not been to any wrestling show. The WWE may not have shows near you, but another company will.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Red is Dead posted:

Well, looks like euroresu is over. Gutted.

What happened?

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Gonzo McFee posted:

What happened?

Sodomy non sapiens.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I think he means more that you have not been to any wrestling show. The WWE may not have shows near you, but another company will.

the miz sure did miss out on going to see those spectacular OVW shows

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Red is Dead posted:

Sodomy non sapiens.

You hosed an ape up the bum?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

If WWE never had a show in your area, that's one thing. The Miz grew up in an area with frequent WWE shows and never went. That's pretty much casual fan behavior.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

You hosed an ape up the bum?

Buggered if I know.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

If WWE never had a show in your area, that's one thing. The Miz grew up in an area with frequent WWE shows and never went. That's pretty much casual fan behavior.

I get what Dave meant, yeah. Where I grew up, the closest wrestling show was 3 hours away. I was never able to make the trip until last year. It wasn't from a lack of desire, though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jack Krauser posted:

I get what Dave meant, yeah. Where I grew up, the closest wrestling show was 3 hours away. I was never able to make the trip until last year. It wasn't from a lack of desire, though.

Yeah I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, the only wrestling I ever got to see live was some weird small time operation where all the guys just ripped off WWF gimmicks. I remember a really fat guy pretending to be Yokozuna.

I really wish I could have gone to a real WWF show, but my dad wouldn't take me to the big city to see one :smith:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
You guys wanted to go to WWF shows? What was wrong with you?

:wcw:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

HulkaMatt posted:

Bryan is the default guy because he was the best at it on the indies and nobody really came close.

I don't really vote for him in that category anymore because while he's probably still great at it he doesn't get to work matches that style much anymore.

Who did you vote for, out of curiosity? That was one of the categories where I was like "I just can't answer this because I don't accept the premise of the category" (best weekly TV was the other one) and I ended up not voting largely because of those two.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Who did you vote for, out of curiosity? That was one of the categories where I was like "I just can't answer this because I don't accept the premise of the category" (best weekly TV was the other one) and I ended up not voting largely because of those two.

The answer is to vote for CMLL guys you don't watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRafTer posted:

The answer is to vote for CMLL guys you don't watch.

I considered just voting like Tanahashi/Okada/Nakamura but that didn't feel right either.

• Locked thread