Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Same with the fourth. They put in emoticon because... something?

The last is supposed to be "Kanon is crying."

She already spoke emoticons in the Japanese version, they were just small graphics rather than typed out email-style emoticons.

The problem with the last one is Kanon isn't crying, she's just out of breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Even though I love that translation because of how goofy and nonsensical it all is, even I will admit that it's still really bad.

That being said, I can't imagine the Japanese script being much better. I mean, they have ARMS down as meaning "an Awkward Rush and Mission Savers". That's just delightfully insane. :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd love to play some of the PS2 WAs on the Vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polsy posted:

She already spoke emoticons in the Japanese version, they were just small graphics rather than typed out email-style emoticons.

The problem with the last one is Kanon isn't crying, she's just out of breath.

Really? I was looking at the Japanese script written up so they must have left the graphics out. Sorry about that one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

Even though I love that translation because of how goofy and nonsensical it all is, even I will admit that it's still really bad.

That being said, I can't imagine the Japanese script being much better. I mean, they have ARMS down as meaning "an Awkward Rush and Mission Savers". That's just delightfully insane. :allears:
Well the difference is that's them speaking a language that they don't actually know. You get ridiculous 'english' acronyms in a lot of Japanese media.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Suikoden sucks a pretty crazy amount of rear end compared to Suikoden 2. Not even worth playing really. Skip to 2, play three, ignore the rest of the series.

What's this? Suikoden V was great fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lotish posted:

Suikoden V is very good yes. I & II taken together are the best, period. III is good in spots but I find the animations and the changes to the battle system really off putting. IV is just so goddamned slow that, while I don't regret playing through it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I was looking at the Japanese script written up so they must have left the graphics out. Sorry about that one.

They certainly had the ever-popular vein-pop star thing, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polsy posted:

They certainly had the ever-popular vein-pop star thing, at least.

Huh, yeah. That line in the script I was reading lacks the veinpop and it's been forever since I played the Japanese version and entirely forgot it. Welp, my bad.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
IV is one of the worst RPGs ever made. It ends almost without notice, the ship thing was stupid and gimmicky, and the whole thing felt rushed.

III is pretty average, but it has some bright spots. I thought the little nerd missions where you gather folks up were the best parts. Chris Lightheart or whatever wasn't that great, the little native boy was kind lame, but at least Geddo was cool.

I don't get the love for V, I thought it was pretty boring and the plot was pretty stupid. It was a lame whack at recreating II.

Suikoden I just doesn't have the same oomph that II has, and honestly loading the save into II isn't worth the time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Amerikkka posted:

IV is one of the worst RPGs ever made. It ends almost without notice, the ship thing was stupid and gimmicky, and the whole thing felt rushed.

III is pretty average, but it has some bright spots. I thought the little nerd missions where you gather folks up were the best parts. Chris Lightheart or whatever wasn't that great, the little native boy was kind lame, but at least Geddo was cool.

I don't get the love for V, I thought it was pretty boring and the plot was pretty stupid. It was a lame whack at recreating II.

Suikoden I just doesn't have the same oomph that II has, and honestly loading the save into II isn't worth the time.

I agree that V begins in a very tedious and boring fashion, but I think it opens up and gets fun a few hours in. That intro is a tough pill to swallow. I bought the game at launch, played the intro halfway, got bored and put it down. Couple weeks later tried again, same thing. Finally a month later I followed advice and powered through it and I'm glad I did.

It's definitely an attempt to recreate II in a lot of ways but I disagre it was a lame one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I agree that V begins in a very tedious and boring fashion, but I think it opens up and gets fun a few hours in. That intro is a tough pill to swallow. I bought the game at launch, played the intro halfway, got bored and put it down. Couple weeks later tried again, same thing. Finally a month later I followed advice and powered through it and I'm glad I did.

It's definitely an attempt to recreate II in a lot of ways but I disagre it was a lame one.

Pretty much this.

V is obviously an attempt at recapturing the magic of II but I think it does a fairly good job with it. It isn't as good as II but it's the closest the franchise comes. III and IV (for various reasons) don't even come close and the two handheld games are just piles of poo poo. It has problems but they're problems I associate with the Suikoden franchise as a whole. I would't complain if they were fixed but they don't drag down my enjoyment of that particular game any more than they do other games in the franchise, aside from maybe the overly-long opening.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I agree that playing as the little nerd (Thomas) was the best part of 3. I loved his cute little personal story of hardship and friendship!

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Suikoden 5 is basically what happens when you set a team to remake Suikoden 2, but make everything way bigger. Including the flaws.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I've only played Suikoden 3 and 5 and I really really liked 5. The political intrigue was way better than a lot of other games of that era, and I liked how you could get game overs from picking the wrong choice during certain events. And the duels owned. Super slow start but it gets good after about 3-4 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wachepti posted:

I've only played Suikoden 3 and 5 and I really really liked 5. The political intrigue was way better than a lot of other games of that era, and I liked how you could get game overs from picking the wrong choice during certain events. And the duels owned. Super slow start but it gets good after about 3-4 hours.

You should really play II if you ever get a chance. It basically does 5 but better.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

You know, I actually tried to play two and got frustrated/lost my save around the time where you infiltrate an army camp. That's all I can really remember. It didn't leave me with much of an impression good or bad. Maybe I didn't get far enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wachepti posted:

You know, I actually tried to play two and got frustrated/lost my save around the time where you infiltrate an army camp. That's all I can really remember. It didn't leave me with much of an impression good or bad. Maybe I didn't get far enough.

Yeah, that's super early in the game. You didn't even get your castle yet IIRC.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's super early in the game. You didn't even get your castle yet IIRC.

Nope not even close. Muse hasn't even been burned at that point.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dude, you're talking to a guy who hasn't gotten anywhere in the game and using big unhidden spoilers to mark his distance? Come on now!

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
It's a 15 year old game and I didn't reveal any kind of a significant plot point. Surprised you didn't call me out for spoiling BoF2's entire plot.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm "calling you out" because there are people on this very page considering playing it right now. There's no need to be a jerk about it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm a terrible, terrible person and Suikoden IV is the only one I've gotten all 108 Stars on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can I play Suikoden 2 with only a vague memory of Suikoden 1? I never actually did finish suikoden 2, and only played up to the first strategy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Can I play Suikoden 2 with only a vague memory of Suikoden 1? I never actually did finish suikoden 2, and only played up to the first strategy.

You can but Suikoden 1 save data carries over to Suikoden 2 and some content (Not a lot, but some) is inaccessible without it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

You can but Suikoden 1 save data carries over to Suikoden 2 and some content (Not a lot, but some) is inaccessible without it.

Yeah, like it carrying over McDohl's name. Except it was bugged and only carried capital letters then wrote the remainder of McDohl to the rest. So Alex would become AcDohl. STeve would be STDohl.

Fantastic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm a terrible, terrible person and Suikoden IV is the only one I've gotten all 108 Stars on.

I think that's because it's the easiest. I've only gotten them all in I and IV, and I definitely looked them up for I.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

I think there's a mythology-based puzzle where the hints for what to do start drawing gods from the wrong pantheon.
Yes, it starts out with some Northern European pantheons and then it goes on to use the Greek and Roman gods interchangeably. Which is a huge problem when it's a pun puzzle based on the days of the week.

Morpheus posted:

I found Suikoden 1 boring as all hell. Never played 2. Enjoyed 3 a fair bit - if anything because the villain wasn't just a cackling megalomaniac. Fell asleep during 4, and got stuck in the intro of 5.
Instead of a cackling megalomaniac, the villain is literally a brooding teenager. I'm not sure how that's an improvement, but if "not insane" is your baseline for a good villain, then I'm surprised you don't like Barbarosa more.

Lotish posted:

Weirdly enough, I didn't find it fun at all. S5 is at the very bottom of my list--below 4, even--though of course I'm not counting any of the games that came after it. I'll agree that 4 feels very rushed, but there's just a million tiny things about 5 that rub me all the wrong way.

Wendell posted:

I agree that playing as the little nerd (Thomas) was the best part of 3. I loved his cute little personal story of hardship and friendship!
Not only was his story my favorite, but he's also secretly a gigantic badass if you grind through the hours required to raise his ultra-slow growth rate skills to A+.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 24, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If you're asking about stuff that is only on the PSN tho', Suikoden is fine on its own but you really can't get the second game easily anywhere so it's kind of a wash.

BoFIV is a fun game but it has a lot of weird bullshit which can make it a little annoying. Nowhere near as bad as BoFIII though.

At this point you should just get a PSX emulator and play it there, game is like 15 years old and Konami refuses to rerelease it so might as well

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Have any of the Suikoden's aged well enough to be appreciated now by someone who never touched them? It was the franchise I never ended up getting into when it was coming out, and it hasn't been supported at all since.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I played Suikoden II for the first time a little over a year ago, and I really liked it. I tend to have trouble getting into older games too.

Suikoden V is good too.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

They've all aged very well, except for the ones that were never good to begin with.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
5 is the best of the 3d iterations, but also pretty loving anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Have any of the Suikoden's aged well enough to be appreciated now by someone who never touched them? It was the franchise I never ended up getting into when it was coming out, and it hasn't been supported at all since.

S1 and 2 have aged fine.

3 has aged really weirdly and may be hard to play. It was their first attempt at 3D, looks pretty ugly and in general lacks a bit of polish.

4 was poo poo to begin with.

5 is a pretty good late-era PS2 JRPG. It has some of the flaws of that era (it's better than PSX voice acting but not as good as PS3/360 voice ating) but it's pretty playable.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

S1 and 2 have aged fine.

3 has aged really weirdly and may be hard to play. It was their first attempt at 3D, looks pretty ugly and in general lacks a bit of polish.

Not to mention having to cross that loving mountain pass like 20 times, you know which one I am talking about.

Retreadin the same boring areas over and over again is the worst part of that game. Plus it's pretty long too. Might be hard to get trough these days. In fact the worst part of the Suikoden series is it's incredibly boring and ugly dungeon design.

S1 isnt that good but its also super short and has it's moments, and makes playing S2 even better to boot. S2 is classic, everyone agrees on that one. S4 is utter trash. S5 is pretty good imo but opinions differ on that one, it's probably the most "controversial" of all the games.

So basically play 1 and 2, you wont regret it, and if you want more after that go ahead and play 3 and 5 too. Ignore 4 like the plague.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 24, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
4 has all the travel problems of 3, but magnified. I love the idea of having a ship as your castle and sailing the high seas but OH BOY does that wear off fast. I also really disliked the reduction of active battle characters to 4. In a game structured around recruting tons of characters, they reduce your usable ones by a third. Just dumb.

Combat is pretty good/fast though and the soundtrack is hella nice too. As weak as 4 is compared to the best in the series, I can't bring myself to absolutely hate it. It does get some things right.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So how cool of a reward/experience is it in Suikoden 2 to get 108 stars? I remember Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 5, it was a maddening experience to get 108 stars on a playthrough without FAQ'ing. Should I just do the same with Suikoden 2 or is there some quick bullet list of "gotchas" that I can avoid permanently missing?

I took a look at a few FAQs on Gamefaqs and they're mostly in that old style where the author just vomits every spoiler into the walkthrough which left me wanting.

I might just wing it for once and deal with the consequences if you don't miss out on too much for lack of 108.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

If you're going for 108 in II just know that there is a pretty strict time limit that you have to complete a handful of events to get a couple of characters. My first time playing through I missed them because I was spending too much time exploring and trying to recruit everyone I could as soon as I could.

I've only played II and III, but II was much more enjoyable collecting everybody than three.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If you're going to use a guide use the Stars of Destiny lists on Suikosource, they're concise and have as little spoilers as possible. http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S2

It's also good that it clearly shows who joins automatically, so you know once the automatic people listed have joined you can get the optional ones listed after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wendell posted:

If you're going to use a guide use the Stars of Destiny lists on Suikosource, they're concise and have as little spoilers as possible. http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S2

It's also good that it clearly shows who joins automatically, so you know once the automatic people listed have joined you can get the optional ones listed after them.
Yeah I thought about using that, and that might be the best option. Seems like I'll have to rescan the entire list repeatedly to see what I have access to at any given time and don't miss any timings. I wish it was more ordered than anything.