Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
At the risk of double posting: the reason I don't consider Bryan a contender for a best technical award at this point is because he just doesn't do all that much technical wrestling anymore - he's eliminated most of those moves and rarely does complex transitions anymore. I don't even know that there's can be such a thing as a high level technical worker in Cena era WWE main events because of how much the style has evolved away from holds and transitions, especially post-Angle and Benoit, and Bryan at this point probably isn't even the closest guy with Lesnar around. It's obviously a big credit to Bryan as an overall worker that he went from being the best worker in the world working one way to working a vastly different style, in the process doing a near-complete overhaul of his moveset and ring psych, and still remains one of the 5 or 10 best workers in the world. But he really is a way, way different worker than he was from his king of the indies period in 2005-09, and in a way that makes giving him awards for technical mat work kind of ludicrous.

Backtracking to the "if not Bryan, then who," if I'm voting for the guy who does the best, crispest real looking mat wrestling, it's pretty clearly Katsuyori Shibata, but he's even more clearly the best brawler in the world while distinctly not being the best worker in the world (though he would be top 10 and maybe even top 5). I don't know how that can make sense unless you just chalk it up to the vagaries of a guy being a great worker while having a shooter gimmick. The other elite puro workers like Tanahashi, Okada, Nakamura, Devitt, KENTA, etc. do a lot of the transitions and reversals that you'd associate with a top level technical wrestler but I don't know that any of them really does it within the confines of technical wrestling, certainly no more than Shibata. Same with the American indy guys except they're all worse than the top Japanese guys, so no one there is even a contender here outside of Kyle O'Reilly who I'm not particularly enthralled with. With Angle and Nagata, who used to be the fallback choices, both shot as workers, this was the point where I just went "gently caress it" and I assumed I hadn't seen enough 2013 wrestling to have an informed vote and trashed my ballot. In retrospect I guess I could have watched a couple more Panther and Zack Sabre matches as ballot research and probably cobbled something together or whatever but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

jeffersonlives posted:

Who did you vote for, out of curiosity? That was one of the categories where I was like "I just can't answer this because I don't accept the premise of the category" (best weekly TV was the other one) and I ended up not voting largely because of those two.

I actually looked back and I shockingly did put Bryan in there. I have no memory of this :psyduck:. I didn't put him at 1st though.

My other 2 were Cesaro and Zack Sabre Jr. Zack is a guy I've seen very little of but I checked out a few WXW/NOAH matches. I really like the dude. I wish NOAH was good.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 24, 2014

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Red is Dead posted:

Well, looks like euroresu is over. Gutted.

Wait, what? Well this is poo news.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

At the risk of double posting: the reason I don't consider Bryan a contender for a best technical award at this point is because he just doesn't do all that much technical wrestling anymore - he's eliminated most of those moves and rarely does complex transitions anymore. I don't even know that there's can be such a thing as a high level technical worker in Cena era WWE main events because of how much the style has evolved away from holds and transitions, especially post-Angle and Benoit, and Bryan at this point probably isn't even the closest guy with Lesnar around. It's obviously a big credit to Bryan as an overall worker that he went from being the best worker in the world working one way to working a vastly different style, in the process doing a near-complete overhaul of his moveset and ring psych, and still remains one of the 5 or 10 best workers in the world. But he really is a way, way different worker than he was from his king of the indies period in 2005-09, and in a way that makes giving him awards for technical mat work kind of ludicrous.

Backtracking to the "if not Bryan, then who," if I'm voting for the guy who does the best, crispest real looking mat wrestling, it's pretty clearly Katsuyori Shibata, but he's even more clearly the best brawler in the world while distinctly not being the best worker in the world (though he would be top 10 and maybe even top 5). I don't know how that can make sense unless you just chalk it up to the vagaries of a guy being a great worker while having a shooter gimmick. The other elite puro workers like Tanahashi, Okada, Nakamura, Devitt, KENTA, etc. do a lot of the transitions and reversals that you'd associate with a top level technical wrestler but I don't know that any of them really does it within the confines of technical wrestling, certainly no more than Shibata. Same with the American indy guys except they're all worse than the top Japanese guys, so no one there is even a contender here outside of Kyle O'Reilly who I'm not particularly enthralled with. With Angle and Nagata, who used to be the fallback choices, both shot as workers, this was the point where I just went "gently caress it" and I assumed I hadn't seen enough 2013 wrestling to have an informed vote and trashed my ballot. In retrospect I guess I could have watched a couple more Panther and Zack Sabre matches as ballot research and probably cobbled something together or whatever but :effort:

I can't be assed to care about half of the Observer categories, so I don't vote but when I vote for the PSP awards (late) I usually just put Giant Tiger in those categories. As much as I love the construction of the HoF, the construction of the awards is pretty dumb in many areas. The PSP awards are basically the same but for some reason I vote for those, I don't know why.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Steve is there another hand signal that you can use?

No.

Well, okay then! :lol:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LordPants posted:

Steve is there another hand signal that you can use?

No.

Well, okay then! :lol:

Austin interview is a pro-listen in case you were for some reason thinking otherwise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The John Cena discussion on tonight's Lance show is pretty good, although neither of them knowing what kind of car the John Cena character would drive was odd. That's the one thing we know about his character!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Today's Bryan and Vinny is amazing. It's been too long since we got a full bore assassination of Impact.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You guys are talking like you voted in the Observer awards. I thought it was only industry people who got to. Or is that just the hall of fame?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

You guys are talking like you voted in the Observer awards. I thought it was only industry people who got to. Or is that just the hall of fame?

Anyone who subscribes can vote in the Observer Awards.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, the Hall of Fame has strict rules for who gets a ballot, mainly industry types; the annual awards are polls of the readership.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know DVDVR used to talk up guys who worked for Mexican indies like Dr.Cerebro, Negro Navarro, and Black Terry. There's also guys like Daisuke Ikeda and Yuji Ishikawa in Japan, the problem is, some of these guys aren't on a lot of tape that's easy to see. Also, I think people expect high flying when they watch Mexico, assuming they can wrap their heads around lucha psychology in the first place.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, TNA is really checking out.

If Angle leaves, is he going to AAA or something? Or is he actually going back to the E.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Wow, TNA is really checking out.

If Angle leaves, is he going to AAA or something? Or is he actually going back to the E.

Last time his TNA contract was up WWE wouldn't even return his phone call. So not only would have have the physical issue, he has the problem that they seem to hate him enough to slight him by not even giving him a courtesy call. I'd guess he'd do major indie dates like NEW, whichever Japanese group is dumb enough to pay him and some AAA since they want him pretty badly. If Keith's thing starts up that too.

TNA might actually keep Angle around because some of their early international deals were signed thanks to having Angle on board (some others were due to Hogan) so losing all of this talent could kill their overseas business when their contracts come up.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The latest Figure Four Weekly says there appears to be interest on WWE's and Kurt's side but WWE would never clear him and only wants him likely as a trainer.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

didn't Angle kind of mend some bridges with WWE when he entered their rehab program sometime last year? I seem to recall that they put his profile on the alumni page on WWE.com during that time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, there's apparently also talk of WWE getting their physical Hall of Fame at Universal Studios which would be hilarious.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cardboard Box posted:

didn't Angle kind of mend some bridges with WWE when he entered their rehab program sometime last year? I seem to recall that they put his profile on the alumni page on WWE.com during that time.
Not to mention all the flowers Vince sends him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vince is going to look really stupid when Dana snatches Kurt Angle from right under his nose

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
Dean Ambrose is a sweary, sweary man and he does not like us at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ChaosSmurf posted:

Dean Ambrose is a sweary, sweary man and he does not like us at all.
I mean he does have a point, some of us do kind of get too caught up and act all negative/pessimistic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEAXDV1Sr4

This basically sums up his attitude.

"Let's face it, if you hate Botchamania, you're taking yourself too seriously."

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
Oh aye I don't really disagree with him, seems to have his head in the right place.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Austin teased on that most recent episode that he's gonna have Jim Johnston on the show which is potentially the best thing ever.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm sick, but the show must go on.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Bryan doin Observer Live with Jim Ross right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last night's observer was great with Dave thinking Punk doesn't understand how wrestling works.

I'm not sure what Punk's quote was, but if he's still hung up on the Rock :cmon:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Pisscast called the crowd making GBS threads on the Rumble.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LordPants posted:

Last night's observer was great with Dave thinking Punk doesn't understand how wrestling works.

I'm not sure what Punk's quote was, but if he's still hung up on the Rock :cmon:
Punk is not stupid and has to understand Rock is a huge draw.
He can still get mad about part timers taking the spot of guys working 150 dates a year.

e: Same reasoning applies to signing top WCW guys and wrecking the pay structure in 2001. Vince has to make the right business decision, but Punk would much rather close out Mania than pocket the huge bonus from Rock breaking 1M buys.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 27, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
10 Count/Pisscast: As his merch does not sell, how can WWE change their Daniel Bryan marketing strategy to capitalise on his crowd popularity?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Bryan and Vinny are doing a live-stream Rumble recap:

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/3-news/35137-live-audio-bryan-and-vinny-show-post-royal-rumble-wrap-up-airing-now

I can't get it to load though :(

edit: there it goes! Craig.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rarity posted:

10 Count/Pisscast: As his merch does not sell, how can WWE change their Daniel Bryan marketing strategy to capitalise on his crowd popularity?

have Bryan merch that's not gently caress ugly?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
HE HAS HUGE MUSCLES!

edit: AND QUIT CALLING!!!

This stuff is fun to listen to live.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
This bryan rant is AMAZING.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Alvarez is going absolutely nuts. I need to get myself a subscription.

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

you're a man. let 'em dangle.
Alvarez losing his mind right now is so amazing, I love this

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yaya posted:

Alvarez is going absolutely nuts. I need to get myself a subscription.
Check out this week's Impact review (Thurs. Bryan & Vinny) for more angry ranting.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Really hoping they put up this show tomorrow.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
This entire tangent on whether or not you can dye your hair grey is fantastic

"Yes because there's SOOOO many men who say 'I wish my hair was grey!'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Really hoping they put up this show tomorrow.

they probably will put it up tonight.

• Locked thread