Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well I'm having a god awful day. Blind pothole destroys my front passenger tire, so I throw my spare on. Gotta drive clear across town to get into work and everything is already closed. Make it one block from work and the car sticks at an intersection. Clutch depresses like it should, goes into and out of all gears, stalls out when I attempt to drive. Can't even be pushed while in neutral. Smells horrible. No warning lights on the dash.

'06 MS6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Did you wad up your rear diff mount and subsequently the drive shafts? Take a peek under the rear of the diff and see if anything looks fishy. Was there any kind of 'clunk' sound associated with driving forward?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Did you wad up your rear diff mount and subsequently the drive shafts? Take a peek under the rear of the diff and see if anything looks fishy. Was there any kind of 'clunk' sound associated with driving forward?

Apparently it was the transfer case (had to have it towed to the dealership, have the whole thing warrantied) and I wasn't supposed to be using the factory supplied spare tire on the front wheels and I just know someone is going to tell me "loving duh" and somehow this is probably going to come out of pocket, and well poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Revvik posted:

Apparently it was the transfer case (had to have it towed to the dealership, have the whole thing warrantied) and I wasn't supposed to be using the factory supplied spare tire on the front wheels and I just know someone is going to tell me "loving duh" and somehow this is probably going to come out of pocket, and well poo poo.

Wait, you're not telling me Mazda's top of the line sedan came with a donut?

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Revvik posted:

What? you aren't allowed to use the donut on the front? That makes absolutely no sense. I don't see that documented anywhere at all on the car.

I have the same car, and I recently drove over over 50 miles on the donut after blowing out the front tire from something on the highway. And suffered absolutely no ill effects.

No company would supply a spare that could only be used on the rear and not the front. There is no way to control what owners of the car would do. I think whoever told you that is full of poo poo.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Folderol posted:

Has anyone here modded their MS3 and blown the warranty? I'm thinking of putting on a few bolt ons (ultimately including a downpipe) as well as a tune, and especially because of the downpipe, which I certainly won't be able to uninstall whenever I bring it in for service, I'm pretty sure I'm going to kiss my warranty goodbye. I think that may be ok for me personally, both in principle (Mazda shouldn't be on the hook if I blow up my engine) and financially (if I have to replace parts at my own expense) but otherwise I'm not sure what to expect. Will resale be tougher, with people worried about the lack of transferable warranty? Am I going to get grief about unrelated parts (e.g., if the power windows, which obviously are unrelated to any engine mods, crap out during the warranty period), etc.

I have a heavily modded car, but my dealership is mod friendly and I know a guy who works in the parts department. They sell Cobb and all sorts of aftermarket parts.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Wait, you're not telling me Mazda's top of the line sedan came with a donut?

Yeah looked a little ridiculous next to the 18s. Repair guy seemed to believe that was the cause.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Stolennosferatu posted:

I picked up my Mazda6 sport this week. Pretty nice, really impressive for the lowest trim. The only things so far I don't like is the headlights aren't auto on/off and that I don't have navigation, but the navigation button is still there.

I got the mazda6 touring. I like everything about it, but the entertainment unit is terrible. The bluetooth is finnicky as hell, and using ipod USB connection takes about 5-6 minutes to start. And from googling around Mazda seems to not care to fix it ever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are you supposed to do if a front tire goes out?

Oh well I guess that's it for my day v:)v

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

I got the mazda6 touring. I like everything about it, but the entertainment unit is terrible. The bluetooth is finnicky as hell, and using ipod USB connection takes about 5-6 minutes to start. And from googling around Mazda seems to not care to fix it ever.

I sort-of-kind-of worked on this project, and all I can do is apologize. It isn't Mazda being unwilling to fix it, it's the fact that the company that made the unit is selling off the department that made the 'infotainment' unit and all the employees said 'fuckit' about halfway through development. I wish I was joking.

E: Fuggit, I actually know what's going on in both features after reading our update history, but I'm legally not allowed to say anything more than that. Which is bullshit.

Out of curiosity: What kind of phone are you using? I'm assuming an iPhone? If you could throw the OS version and model at me, I might be able to see if we can get someone to reproduce those issues and light a fire under some too comfortable asses.

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 20, 2014

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

What are you supposed to do if a front tire goes out?

Oh well I guess that's it for my day v:)v

Apparently you're supposed to do like me and burn your transfer case and wind up with a $3700 bill (warranty claims adjuster is coming to look at it tomorrow, I'm gonna go have a 24 hour heart attack now).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If Mazda doesn't tell you to do that, it's bullshit.

They do recommend against a donut spare on the front specifically in ice or snow, but because "handing can be affected" - nothing about damaging the car:

2006 Owners Manual posted:

Driving with a Temporary Spare Tire
on Ice or Snow:
Driving with a spare tire on the front
(driving) wheels on ice or snow is
dangerous. Handling will be affected.
You could lose control of the vehicle
and have an accident. Put the spare
tire on the rear axle and move a
regular tire to the front.

The only other thing they say is that it's for limited use, but they never assign a number of miles:

2006 Owners Manual posted:

Spare Tire
Your Mazda has a temporary spare tire.
The temporary spare is lighter and smaller
than a conventional tire, and is designed
only for emergency use and should be
used only for VERY short periods.
Temporary spares should NEVER be used
for long drives or extended periods.

I'm guessing the sidewall of the spare says it's good for at least 50 miles.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Mudlark posted:

I sort-of-kind-of worked on this project, and all I can do is apologize. It isn't Mazda being unwilling to fix it, it's the fact that the company that made the unit is selling off the department that made the 'infotainment' unit and all the employees said 'fuckit' about halfway through development. I wish I was joking. :/

E: Fuggit, I actually know what's going on in both features after reading our update history, but I'm legally not allowed to say anything more than that. Which is bullshit.

Out of curiosity: What kind of phone are you using? I'm assuming an iPhone? If you could throw the OS version and model at me, I might be able to see if we can get someone to reproduce those issues and light a fire under some too-comfortable asses.

Well thanks, at least I know you are all aware. Can you at least say if there is a plan in the works for an update? It seems the later 2014s have a new system, and its just the 2014 ms6s, 2013 ms3 and Cx5s that get stuck with this crappy unit. Should I look into aftermarket options?

I actually am using older two devices. A Galaxy S2 for phone and an old Itouch (I think 3rd generation) for music. They both work only sometimes. Recently they haven't been working at all. (from browsing the mazda forums, a common problem)

One of my other major gripes is that I'd like the system to remember my device settings. I wanted the iTouch for music and phone for other data. It always resets my selections every time the car restarts.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

Well thanks, at least I know you are all aware. Can you at least say if there is a plan in the works for an update? It seems the later 2014s have a new system, and its just the 2014 ms6s, 2013 ms3 and Cx5s that get stuck with this crappy unit. Should I look into aftermarket options?

I actually am using older two devices. A Galaxy S2 for phone and an old Itouch (I think 3rd generation) for music. They both work only sometimes. Recently they haven't been working at all. (from browsing the mazda forums, a common problem)

One of my other major gripes is that I'd like the system to remember my device settings. I wanted the iTouch for music and phone for other data. It always resets my selections every time the car restarts.

I can't really say if you should look for an aftermarket option, honestly. I worked as an outside consultant a few times on the later system you're talking about. I did see the earlier models being field-tested pretty extensively, so I'd imagine there are updates planned. But, I honestly can't say either way, both legally and because I truly don't know. I'm just going from conjecture from what I saw the couple of times I was there, and the issues I helped out on with the newer system.

That said, I'll drop a hint to one of the people I know that were working on it and see if they can't get some attention to it. Chances are, they've seen it and are planning to update it, but hey. Sorry I can't do more. v :( v

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 20, 2014

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Mudlark posted:

I can't really say if you should look for an aftermarket option, honestly. I worked as an outside consultant a few times on the later system you're talking about. I did see the earlier models being field-tested pretty extensively, so I'd imagine there are updates planned. But, I honestly can't say either way, both legally and because I truly don't know. I'm just going from conjecture from what I saw the couple of times I was there, and the issues I helped out on with the newer system.

That said, I'll drop a hint to one of the people I know that were working on it and see if they can't get some attention to it. Chances are, they've seen it and are planning to update it, but hey. Sorry I can't do more. v :( v

understood! drat you non-disclosure agreements

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Revvik posted:

No way that the spare on the front would do that kind of carnage - particularly for the fact that A: the speed6 uses an active center differential and B: the rear diff is a limited slip. If anything I'd rather have the spare up front for the open diff to compensate and the real tire out back. When I skunked my rear diff mount bolts for the second time it had the hand brake pulled up one click and drove it to the dealership like that. The computer locks out the rear from getting power when the hand brake is on so I essentially drove fwd to the dealership from my house.

That rear diff is the entire reason I sold it and bought my M3. I never felt like I could actually drive the thing to its potential. Never 'launched', never tracked, never auto crossed. Son of a bitch detonated on my leisure 14 mile round trip commute.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

CatchrNdRy posted:

Yeah my bluetooth is out, won't start up. I'm taking it in tomorrow so I'll report back if it's anything interesting

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's the general opinion of the CX-5? I've talked with a few owners and they just love theirs to death. Good MPG, no serious service issues so far, and no real complaints.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I liked it, I just couldn't justify a $3k+ premium over the CR-V (the comparable price goes away really quickly once you get the 2.5L and automatic that you need to have to get a backup camera).

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

the spyder posted:

What's the general opinion of the CX-5? I've talked with a few owners and they just love theirs to death. Good MPG, no serious service issues so far, and no real complaints.

I bought one in May of 2012 and have about 19,000 miles on it. It's a base 6-speed with the 2.0L.

The CX-5 is about as entertaining to drive as a Focus, a bit less so that Mazda3 (older model, I haven't driven the 2014). Good steering feel, great shifter, nice seats. Power is fine with the manual up to highway speeds, but if you want to pass on a two-lane road with a 55 mph speed limit, you need more runway than a 747 needs to land.

My average MPG so far has been 31.4 MPG with an average speed of 28 MPH over the life of the car, so that's pretty drat good. However my base model is a 2WD and manual so don't expect to get that with other trims.

Reliability has been perfect. Nothing but scheduled service, which has cost about $200 in total. The tires and brakes are still nearly new.

As for complaints, I've had a lot of rattles in mine, particularly the tailgate and lower dash. This may be due to the early production date. I also have noticed that while the car doesn't have a lot of wind or engine noise, it can be very loud if you're driving on rough roads, as there's not much sound insulation to keep road noise out.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Faceless Clock posted:

As for complaints, I've had a lot of rattles in mine, particularly the tailgate and lower dash. This may be due to the early production date. I also have noticed that while the car doesn't have a lot of wind or engine noise, it can be very loud if you're driving on rough roads, as there's not much sound insulation to keep road noise out.

Mystery rattles are a fact of life for all Mazda owners :yayclod:

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
I like both the CX-5 and Mazda6, but the 6 comes with the 2.5 in the base model and in the CX-5 it's only in the next level up. Tough decision.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Amphion posted:

I like both the CX-5 and Mazda6, but the 6 comes with the 2.5 in the base model and in the CX-5 it's only in the next level up. Tough decision.

2015 Mazda6 will be out in the wild sometime soon if you want to wait a month or whatever.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Stolennosferatu posted:

Yeah my bluetooth is out, won't start up. I'm taking it in tomorrow so I'll report back if it's anything interesting

anything interesting? I read around, saying to fix it, you need to disconnect the battery for a system reset. Its sad we have to resort to this.

I shoulda just waited 4 months and bought a 2015.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have any experience with something like this? After the debacle that was the ugly chinese headunit I just want something that I can plug my iPhone4s into that will play musac and charge it, and I can control from the steering wheel to keep me from veering out of control.

Now to list my lovely chinese HU on craigslist as a marvel for the ages!

Unrelated:

I should be able to get replacement roof rack blank plugs from my dealer, right? I didn't realize when I bought the car that one was missing. It's not a big deal but my OCD is at 11 every time I notice it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 22, 2014

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

CatchrNdRy posted:

anything interesting? I read around, saying to fix it, you need to disconnect the battery for a system reset. Its sad we have to resort to this.

I shoulda just waited 4 months and bought a 2015.

They just took out the bluetooth module for a few minutes then plugged it back in. I don't know where the module is though so maybe the battery disconnect is easier?
FYI this was at the Mazda corporate service shop, so I guess there's no update or anything. :(. Sorry CatchrNdRy

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

Unrelated:

I should be able to get replacement roof rack blank plugs from my dealer, right? I didn't realize when I bought the car that one was missing. It's not a big deal but my OCD is at 11 every time I notice it.

Sometimes they only sell things like that as a whole piece...hopefully not.
Speaking of that I may have hosed up my car (?). I tightened my roof rack really well and now the mounting threads are pulled way up. I don't know if I bent the roof or just pulled up those metal things. poo poo.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
It's been extra cold around my area (single digits with double digit below zero wind chills) and yesterday I feel like my '13 MS3 has been making crunchy sounds when going over rough road. I did about an hours worth of driving last night and I don't think I heard it after the car had a chance to warm up, but I could be imagining things. I looked under the front and didn't see any hanging plastic. Didn't check the back (is there plastic back there?). Non-rough , and the ride is normal. It didn't seem crunchy sounding on the way to work, but it did on the way home.

Could the cold just be making it a little more rough sounding?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Aexo posted:

It's been extra cold around my area (single digits with double digit below zero wind chills) and yesterday I feel like my '13 MS3 has been making crunchy sounds when going over rough road. I did about an hours worth of driving last night and I don't think I heard it after the car had a chance to warm up, but I could be imagining things. I looked under the front and didn't see any hanging plastic. Didn't check the back (is there plastic back there?). Non-rough , and the ride is normal. It didn't seem crunchy sounding on the way to work, but it did on the way home.

Could the cold just be making it a little more rough sounding?

My '12 has been doing exactly the same thing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Folderol posted:

My 08 has always done that when it gets close to the single digits. Rear suspension gets super noisy, goes away when it warms up. I understand they pretty much all do this.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Folderol posted:

Same thing. 12 MS3 in SLC UT. Been cold as poo poo lately and it makes the same stuff.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
'13 MS3 and mine does the same thing if it's below about 15F. I especially notice it over some speed bumps in my parking lot.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Thanks, goons :)

This is my second car, and the last was nearly 15 years old, so I'm trying my best to be good to it.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
'87 Mazda and my rear suspension does the same in the cold.
So don't worry, that noise has been around Mazdas for at least three decades. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have any experience with something like this? After the debacle that was the ugly chinese headunit I just want something that I can plug my iPhone4s into that will play musac and charge it, and I can control from the steering wheel to keep me from veering out of control.

Any thoughts on this before I pull the trigger? Probably going to order it unless someone has just had an awful experience with one.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I just bought a used 2013 Mazda3. It's my first car purchase (after the 1992 Toyota Tercel I got from my parents). I've never been a car person.

I think I might be a car person now. I really like driving this car.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Martytoof posted:

Any thoughts on this before I pull the trigger? Probably going to order it unless someone has just had an awful experience with one.

Marty I had a similar one in my first gen. It plugged into the aux port plug on the back of the head unit. Worked great till I shunned Apple devices.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I didn't believe in the Mazda curse.
But in 6 months, I have had my door hosed up by some drywall on the freeway and today, I picked up a big chunk of sheetmetal in my tire.
Dammit, I'm gonna up my life insurance.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
My biggest issues with the cold have been a newly noisy power steering pump (which I guess is fairly common) and very noisy brakes (still haven't figured that one out). I find the road noise is so loud though that I might not even be able to hear suspension noise or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Stolennosferatu posted:

Stolennosferatu posted:

They just took out the bluetooth module for a few minutes then plugged it back in. I don't know where the module is though so maybe the battery disconnect is easier?
FYI this was at the Mazda corporate service shop, so I guess there's no update or anything. :(. Sorry CatchrNdRy

Apparently Mazda just hit the Bluetooth kill switch. It looks like the BT module just poo poo the bed on my 2010 speed 3.