Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

japtor posted:

Re: CommanderChat, maybe think of them as alternatives rather than full replacements (not that it'll change your opinion of them :v:). Like Apple's, Microsoft's, or Google's various apps, the purpose is the same but the execution makes them different. They could be using TC as a basis conceptually and replicating this or that feature, but not necessarily cloning the whole app, like they're commander type app for Mac users rather than necessarily something specifically for TC users (like you want), although I'm sure they hope for some crossover there. Even if they are trying to be clones it's probably just a matter of getting some basics down to be good enough for however many people, like Pixelmator vs Photoshop. It's missing a lot of stuff and weaker in many ways, but the basic stuff makes it decent enough on its own.

I suppose. It's just that it boggles my mind how close some of them has gotten to TC and then tripped over some small (but crucial) detail. It's obvious what they're trying to do, but also obvious that they haven't succeeded. Forklift is definitely a contender — had I started there and then gone over to TC at some point in time, I would have been pleased as Punch.

…but I mean, how do they manage to screw up selection?! Maybe there's just some setting I've overlooked, but it sure looks like they've managed to introduce two separate selection systems that overlap but don't interact (i.e. select a range with one system; use the other to invert the selection, and yet the range stays selected…).

Ninja Rope posted:

Saying "why don't you try this" is at least attempting to help. The alternative would be to say nothing like that exists, just give up?

Yup. There were indeed some on that list that I hadn't tried, or that had received major updates since I last went on this quest, but they were consistently missing features — notably proper keyboard control. The list itself certainly belies the notion that it's somehow an esoteric or fringe request. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Finder"
    set inverted to {}
    set fitems to items of window 1 as alias list
    set selectedItems to the selection as alias list
    repeat with i in fitems
      if i is not in selectedItems then
        set end of inverted to i
      end if
    end repeat
    select inverted
  end tell

return input
end run

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Tippis posted:

I suppose. It's just that it boggles my mind how close some of them has gotten to TC and then tripped over some small (but crucial) detail. It's obvious what they're trying to do, but also obvious that they haven't succeeded. Forklift is definitely a contender — had I started there and then gone over to TC at some point in time, I would have been pleased as Punch.
Same general problem as vim plugins have. There's 5000 important bits, but any given person only cares about 100 of them, so even after implementing everything the author personally cares about and everything that people have asked for, there's enough missing that any new user will still run into something they care greatly about that hasn't been implemented.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Tippis posted:

Total Commander :words:
Have you tried running it in Wine (or CrossOver)? Looks like at least some versions run well on OSX.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Amberskin posted:

If I'm not wrong the "5 seconds press" is hardwired so it should not be affected by an operating system level remap.

This is correct. It's a SMC function because it has to work even when OS X is hardlocked and incapable of processing keystrokes. Same reason why the SMC does not rely on OS X supervision to control fan speeds, it has all the relevant sensor data and makes its own decisions.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Splinter posted:

Have you tried running it in Wine (or CrossOver)? Looks like at least some versions run well on OSX.

I've thought about it. My main worry is that since it often calls for various meta-key combinations, and since a fair amount of other windows programs I run that way can be a bit… flaky, let's say, when responding to those keys, it will turn out a mess. Still, worth a try, I suppose.

Also, I managed to get a hand on a copy of DCommander. It's a fairly faithful adaptation, actually, with customisation being its main blind spot.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

No matter what I try, I can't get L2TP VPN working since I upgraded to Mavericks server. I've installed the VPN patch, everything is updated, I've tried swapping an older version of racoon, verified UDP ports 500/1701/4500 are forwarded using tcpdump and ncat, and have even reinstalled the OS from scratch, but no dice. HOWEVER, I have just discovered that switching the VPN service to 'L2TP and PTPP' does work perfectly. Awesome.

I know that PTPP is considered cryptographically unsafe nowadays, but can anyone shed any light on Apple's implementation here? Seeing as this is L2TP and PTPP, rather than just PTPP, is this any more secure?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you sure 'L2TP and PPTP' isn't like 'WPA and WPA2' on wireless networks in that it will take connections from either?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Amberskin posted:

If I'm not wrong the "5 seconds press" is hardwired so it should not be affected by an operating system level remap.

So is there a way to remap the "momentary keypress" to do nothing?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It seems there is no way. On the other hand, if you hold the button for 2-3 seconds and then release it you get the traditional dialog box. So:

- Momentary press = suspend
- 2-3 seconds = (restart, suspend, cancel, shutdown) dialog
- longer press = forced poweroff

It is quite retarded in my opinion :(

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Caged posted:

Are you sure 'L2TP and PPTP' isn't like 'WPA and WPA2' on wireless networks in that it will take connections from either?

Ahh right ok, I guess that would make sense. That would be why the 'shared secret' field is still there, even though PTPP doesn't use it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Anyone found an alternative to Synergy that works? Even alternatives that are forks (I used SynergyKM forever) but nothing is playing nice with Mavericks :(.

Synergy dudes are like, "We're gonna make it work with Mavericks" but that talk has been going on for months.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No alternatives, but if you find the path to the actual executable within the Synergy.app package (phone posting so not sure what it is exactly, and run $ path/to/executable & exit in a terminal window, it should work.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

carry on then posted:

No alternatives, but if you find the path to the actual executable within the Synergy.app package (phone posting so not sure what it is exactly, and run $ path/to/executable & exit in a terminal window, it should work.

Yeah... That's what I have been doing just wondered if there was another product out there (preferably paid) that accomplished a similar goal. Oh well. I hate being at the mercy of donationware and/or open source poo poo.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Say for example that giraffe is my old profile, and banana is my new one. Why, when I open terminal, does it read:

giraffe:~ banana$ []

I'm having trouble setting permissions on some folders/files (I'll run sudo chmod -Rf 755 ., but my new profile won't be added to the permissions), and I'm wondering if this is why.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Complain a lot on their feedback form and/or Tim Cook's email and hope they give an option for it like they did with the rotation/mute switch on iPads.

jackpot posted:

Say for example that giraffe is my old profile, and banana is my new one. Why, when I open terminal, does it read:

I'm having trouble setting permissions on some folders/files (I'll run sudo chmod -Rf 755 ., but my new profile won't be added to the permissions), and I'm wondering if this is why.
Going off the top of my head here, but is giraffe the name of the computer? I think computer name is under the network prefpane.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Anyone had issues with browsing Windows shares over a VPN on Mavericks (I'm on 10.9.1)?

Accessing my companies file server from home literally takes 1-2 minutes to populate the folder list. It's pretty much instant when using my Mac at work.

VPN issues do not happen with a windows machine.

I've tried all the tricks I could find googling around, using CIFS, trying to force SAMBA1, etc. I finally found muCommander which seems to fix my problem, but I would really rather use Finder for everything.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

blackmanjew posted:

Anyone had issues with browsing Windows shares over a VPN on Mavericks (I'm on 10.9.1)?

Accessing my companies file server from home literally takes 1-2 minutes to populate the folder list. It's pretty much instant when using my Mac at work.

VPN issues do not happen with a windows machine.

I've tried all the tricks I could find googling around, using CIFS, trying to force SAMBA1, etc. I finally found muCommander which seems to fix my problem, but I would really rather use Finder for everything.
What's your DNS? Just wondering if it might have to do with this issue where stuff can hang with an improper response from the DNS server, like the ones that return a search query/landing page when you enter a gibberish URL that should go nowhere.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

jackpot posted:

Do you come from a Windows background by any chance? For what it's worth, in unix land the terminology is user accounts. There are also groups, to which users may belong.

Unix shell prompts often show the computer name followed by what directory you're presently in, the former since a terminal might be SSH'd to another machine, and the latter because it's always useful to know where in the file system you're at. What you're seeing to the left of the colon is the computer name. It's only related to your first user account name because that's what Apple's first-boot setup program does. Until you change the computer name in System Prefs you'll see "giraffe" in the command prompt for any user account, and it has no implications for file permissions.

Next in the prompt is the current working directory. Note that "~name" is unix shorthand for whatever the home directory of user "name" happens to be, which on OS X will be "/Users/name" unless you've put some effort into relocating that user's home directory. When you open a terminal it starts you out in your home dir, so that's where the "~banana" comes from.

Now, finally, we get to why "chmod 755" might not be doing what you expect. Every file and folder in a unix system is owned by exactly one user and one group. The basic permissions system has three groups of three permission bits (R/W/X), one for the user who owns the file, one for the group, and the last for everyone else. 755 is an octal number; the left digit is user, the middle is group, and the right others. So 755 gives the owner permission to do anything, and the group or anyone else to read and execute. (If it's a directory, X means the ability to list contents rather than execute).

Thing is, when you do a chmod 755 you aren't changing ownership. Your new user account is getting either the group or the "everyone" permissions, and they are still more restrictive than the owner permissions. You need to use the 'chown' command to change what account owns it, or set the permissions to something other than 755 (eg 777 to let anyone do anything, although that is not best practice). If you want it to be visible to only those two accounts you'd want to grant the group higher permissions and add your new user account to the owning group (which is a little more involved).

That's the old school UNIX privilege model which dates back to 1969. OS X does implement the modern-UNIX POSIX Access Control List extensions, which do things more like the fine grained model you're expecting, where you can individually tag files and folders with who can do what to them. However I'm honestly not familiar with POSIX ACL manipulation commands since on a personal machine you don't usually need that level of flexibility.

(If you didn't need a brief course in How Unix Works then my apologies in advance for misreading the question)

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

benisntfunny posted:

Anyone found an alternative to Synergy that works? Even alternatives that are forks (I used SynergyKM forever) but nothing is playing nice with Mavericks :(.

Synergy dudes are like, "We're gonna make it work with Mavericks" but that talk has been going on for months.

You probably are looking for KM sharing with a windows box but in case you are just looking for KM sharing with another mac, I recommend http://abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Are there any third-party UIs for restoring things from Time Machine that are less terrible?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Mac Mail won't actually delete my emails. They reappear after being deleted and even 'erased'. It's driving me crazy. Surely one of you has had this problem?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

BobHoward posted:

However I'm honestly not familiar with POSIX ACL manipulation commands since on a personal machine you don't usually need that level of flexibility.

So that effortpost got me curious about playing with ACLs. I think this is the right incantation to give user "gorilla" the ability to do anything you (that is, the user running this command) can do in directory "foo". The inheritance clauses make these rights extend to every file or folder that is inside foo, including nested files and folders. I might have erred on the side of adding too many permissions.

chmod +a "gorilla allow file_inherit,directory_inherit,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child" foo

Learn more than you wanted to about all this by typing "man chmod".

Also, I slightly screwed up the description of what's in the OS X command prompt by default:

sloth:~ gorilla$

This is actually

computername:currentdirectory username$

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

Are there any third-party UIs for restoring things from Time Machine that are less terrible?
A quick search brought up this app if you want to see the multiple versions at once:
http://www.tri-edre.fr/english/backintime.html

Otherwise you can look through the backups with the Finder or any other file browser utility.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Mac Mail won't actually delete my emails. They reappear after being deleted and even 'erased'. It's driving me crazy. Surely one of you has had this problem?

Have you tried rebuilding your mailbox(es)? Select the mailbox you'd like to fix, then choose Rebuild from the Mailbox menu.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Plorkyeran posted:

I know this isn't quite what you asked, but several applications have a 'hidden' Time Machine interface. If you run TM from within certain Apple apps you'll get a historical view of just that program.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I did until I updated the program from the app store. Haven't had that problem again in a while. Now if it was 100% about retrieving emails again without quitting the program and opening it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a Fujitsu Scan Snap scanner. I am in the process of digitizing basically everything I own.

Is Yep! still a good app for organizing lots of .pdfs and other digital documents? I used it like 7 years ago (never bought it) and was curious if it's recommended these days.

I don't want some complex database program, just something to quickly and easily tag pdfs for later retrieval (i.e. search by "2013 tax" and there are all relevant documents, etc).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

spoon daddy posted:

You probably are looking for KM sharing with a windows box but in case you are just looking for KM sharing with another mac, I recommend http://abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

Actually just Mac to Mac so I'll see how this works out. Thanks!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Google is getting rid of Google Notifier. The only reason I used it was to open email links from other apps with Safari or Chrome. Is there anything that does this and is supported?

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

TACD posted:

I know this isn't quite what you asked, but several applications have a 'hidden' Time Machine interface. If you run TM from within certain Apple apps you'll get a historical view of just that program.

Also, if you are just looking to get back one or a few things quickly and want to avoid the TM klunkiness, you can always just browse to the Backups.backupdb dir on the TM volume and copy over what you need that way.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

wolffenstein posted:

Google is getting rid of Google Notifier. The only reason I used it was to open email links from other apps with Safari or Chrome. Is there anything that does this and is supported?

Gmail Notifr.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Thanks, but actually I found a native solution.

1. Open Gmail in Chrome.
2. Click the grey double diamond icon in the address bar.
3. Allow mail.google.com to open all email links.
4. Open Mail.app.
5. Open Preferences from the Mail menu.
6. Click the General tab.
7. Set default email reader to Google Chrome.
8. Optional - install Gmail Offline and run it once to get it started on synchronizing.

It'd be nice to find out if I could use Safari instead, but oh well this works.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Anyone got any advice on speeding up ical/calender on 10.9.1?

My guess is that there's a year or two of old events that is making it chug slow as poo poo.
Is there a good way to maybe remove anything 60 days old for example?

Excluding stuff that is a repeating event, I guess. I have set some stuff from 2013 that alarms every two weeks.

gregday
May 23, 2003

You could go to ~/Library/Calendars/ and look around for .ics files that are older than a certain date and delete those.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Hey, I wanted to get a Windows VM going on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" that I got recently. I'm running Mavericks and I have heard good things about Parallels and VMWare Fusion. Which is typically preferred? I also want to get a Linux VM going as well so if that changes which one is suggested then please take that into account.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just read Ars' latest head-to-head:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/the-latest-virtualization-showdown-parallels-desktop-9-vs-vmware-fusion-6/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey, I wanted to get a Windows VM going on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" that I got recently. I'm running Mavericks and I have heard good things about Parallels and VMWare Fusion. Which is typically preferred? I also want to get a Linux VM going as well so if that changes which one is suggested then please take that into account.

VirtualBox is free

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Stumpalitious posted:

I prefer VMware Fusion after trying all three of the available options and supporting end users on the other two but I think all three will work fine for your use case. I'd start with vbox and see if you need more from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Bob Morales posted:

VirtualBox is free

Which pretty much accurately reflects its worth. If you just need to do something in a VM once in a blue moon VBox will suffice, but it's far behind both VMWare Fusion and Parallels in UX and (especially) performance.