Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I want to get a Taiwanese movie where the Communists are evil. I've been looking on my own but it seems the Taiwanese generally avoid this subject on their TV shows, as opposed to the mainlanders whose TV is full of war drama. I assume this is because they lost while the mainlanders won, but there must be SOME TV dramas or movies where Mao is strutting around fellating children while Chang Kai Shek pulls babies out of gunfire or something. Any tips? I'd love to show this to my family, and maybe to one of my classes to talk about propaganda.

I got a few, but unfortunately, they are all in Cantonese and made during the 50's.

Ceciltron posted:

Today's update:

Yesterday my boss texted:

"YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DO WHAT I SAY! YOU WILL GO WITH ME TO THE POLICE AND WE WILL CHANGE YOUR VISA INTO A TOURIST VISA AND YOU WILL FIND WORK AFTER! OR I GO TO POLICE AND THEY WILL KICK YOU OUT OF THE COUNTRY!"

You have to save everything up and make a mega post. It will be in forever enshrined China thread IV and all the other future China threads.

Magna Kaser posted:

So I'm curious, with these new regulations who gets fined?

Because Cecil is bringing this up himself, are they going to cut him loose and not fine him for working illegally and concentrate on the school where they can probably score half a million RMB in fines/bribes/hong baos? What happens to his visa?

I wish my company weren't so boring!

Not in education industry, but labour disputes are a constant thing in manufacturing. It's tough work and can be dangerous. A lot of times some government bureau from customs/labour/village/etc will involuntarily throw themselves at you to "smooth things out". Obviously you don't hire thugs and beat people up to submission (it's the government who likes doing that :downsrim:) but having that extra padding to smooth relations and doing things according to law helps immensely.

I was going on to elaborate stories of the 90's but never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

caberham posted:

I got a few, but unfortunately, they are all in Cantonese and made during the 50's.

I'd love to get even the names, some of the directors, so I could try to find them. It'd be a fun project to try to give them some Mandarin subtitles and throw them out into the wind.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I saw some modern Taiwanese operas about this when I was a student in Taiwan. I'd be surprised if there weren't TV/Movie versions of those stories.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Ceciltron posted:

Today's update:

Yesterday my boss texted:

"YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DO WHAT I SAY! YOU WILL GO WITH ME TO THE POLICE AND WE WILL CHANGE YOUR VISA INTO A TOURIST VISA AND YOU WILL FIND WORK AFTER! OR I GO TO POLICE AND THEY WILL KICK YOU OUT OF THE COUNTRY!"

I feel it may be important for you to correct her English usage as well as giving her constructive feedback on the over use of caps lock.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

There is no chinese version. If I've never signed it, and the contract does not stipulate that there is a chinese version, and I never signed it, it isn't legal.

It is impossible to get a Z visa issued without a Chinese contract filed with the government. There is absolutely a Chinese version, it just sounds like you never signed it.

Magna Kaser posted:

So I'm curious, with these new regulations who gets fined?

The new stuff that made a big hullabaloo last Summer included a lot of stuff where schools get fined, recruiters get fined and illegally working teachers get fined. Since the crux of this whole thing is Cecil was working illegally and his school was being all shady about it, even if he had an RP and FEC what's the dealio?

You guys know China is all about who knows who. People that are running schools and stuff almost always give police families discounts, or government official families discounts and stuff like this...I know they do in Tianjin. Maybe not where Cecil is, who knows.

As I've said before, I'm really interested to hear how this turns out. I would have left a long time ago, but I have no pride and zero desire to get into any kind of Chinese law/court situation. If I worked for a jackass, they can have my extra 200 bucks, I would simply go home.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Hope you're saving all those texts and/or forwarding them to your lawyer if you do decide to take this case all the way to court (or you can just use them as extra ammunition for settling as well). Has your lawyer contacted her at all? It seems crazy that she would continue to break the law through text message if she knows you've been talking to a lawyer, but welp can't underestimate the stupidity of some people.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Chinese Courts, from what I understand, are basically Highlander, but for face, right? Defeating my boss gives me all her face and power, right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

It is impossible to get a Z visa issued without a Chinese contract filed with the government. There is absolutely a Chinese version, it just sounds like you never signed it.

I'm curious about this too, since my current contract is English only. Well, there is a Chinese version that I didn't sign, but I was there when they submitted the contract to the PSB and they definitely submitted only the English version.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Present or former Shanghai goons, can you recommend an Eastern restaurant with a good view of the river or the city... a lot of the big hotel top floor restaurants are over-priced Western fare. Any suggestions?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Present or former Shanghai goons, can you recommend an Eastern restaurant with a good view of the river or the city... a lot of the big hotel top floor restaurants are over-priced Western fare. Any suggestions?

Anything viewing the river will not be cheap. This might help

http://www.sugarednspiced.com/archive-by-location/

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

That's fine - got a little bit of budget set aside. Girlfriend will be coming for a few weeks. It is her birthday soon. Thanks for the link - checking now! :)

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

MeramJert posted:

I'm curious about this too, since my current contract is English only. Well, there is a Chinese version that I didn't sign, but I was there when they submitted the contract to the PSB and they definitely submitted only the English version.

I am fairly certain that the organization which is meant to be checking our contracts is SAFEA - which is why if you work in China and are not a foreign expert then you have to go through the ministry of human resources/labour/whatever the gently caress it is called.

The official boilerplate which covers public sector contracts comes from SAFEA, not the PSB. If you have a FEC from an employer with a AELN then the PSB are going to assume that everything is dandy - hell, if you have a FEC then your employer must have an AELN.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have some questions about finding work in China, specifically in Hong Kong.

I'm several months away from finishing my Peace Corps stint teaching English in Outer Mongolia and I am starting to look for work after this. I have a friend in Hong Kong who is an Ex-Pat and is a teacher there, and she says whenever I want she can hook me up with her contacts at her school as well as a few others in the area. Although there is obviously no sure things, she is pretty confident that with my background (English degree, several years experience working with a program teaching High School ESL students, working in the university writing center, and 2 years peace corps) that I have a good chance at being able to find something.

If I'm just looking at what I assume would be a public school when is the best time to apply, or start making contact with people? I will likely head back to America in mid-June. I was considering traveling to Hong Kong anyway after I finish Peace Corps, would it be a good idea to try and talk to some people at that time, even though I'm not sure when I'd be looking for a job exactly?

The thing is I kind of want to spend some time in America before I move back overseas, but since I'll basically be back in America when a normal public school year starts I don't want to be forced to wait an entire year if I didn't find a job by August or whenever. However, I'm still not sure if I'd want to be back in America for only like a month before departing again on the off chance I got a job in 2014.

Also, because I have a lot of free time at the moment I got a copy of Rosetta Stone and have been messing around and learning a little bit of Mandarin. Exactly how different is the mainland Mandarin from places like Hong Kong or Taiwan? I know that learning from Rosetta Stone isn't much, but would the language be so different between mainland and the islands that it would be pointless to try and learn it if I did end up in Hong Kong?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ceciltron thanks for being brave and lawyering up, I think this thread has until now had no real knowledge or advice about employment law in China.

Magna Kaser posted:

e: There's a great new Thai place at the roof of the IFS mall in Chunxi Lu and they're running a 30% off the entire menu promotion at the moment. All Chengoons should check it out while it lasts. It's about the price of a normal Shanghai restaurant normally (aka eighty times that of Chengdu) so it's a pretty good deal now.

Rrrfff I'm in the US until the second week of February. Guess I'm just gonna have to have steak and bacon nom nom nom.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
In travel-related chat, I land in HK tomorrow; what's my best option for grabbing a SIM card for my phone? I mostly care about data, and assume they will cut it to fit my super-precious iPhone (?).

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Monkey Fury posted:

In travel-related chat, I land in HK tomorrow; what's my best option for grabbing a SIM card for my phone? I mostly care about data, and assume they will cut it to fit my super-precious iPhone (?).

Go to the 7 11 to your right outside the customs gate, ask the cashier for a sim card for how many days and follow the instructions. The information desk in front of the 7 11 may have a friendly lady to help you with your super picky Nexus 4 that never accepts anything the right way the first time.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Also, because I have a lot of free time at the moment I got a copy of Rosetta Stone and have been messing around and learning a little bit of Mandarin. Exactly how different is the mainland Mandarin from places like Hong Kong or Taiwan? I know that learning from Rosetta Stone isn't much, but would the language be so different between mainland and the islands that it would be pointless to try and learn it if I did end up in Hong Kong?
Completely pointless. Especially with Rosetta Stone (worst possible way to learn Chinese btw), which doesn't teach you to read, which is the only thing that could be useful in Hong Kong from learning Mandarin.

Hong Kongers don't speak Mandarin or a language mutually intelligible with it, so I wouldn't waste your time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Like Bloodnose said, in HK everyone speaks Cantonese or English. It seems you speak English so you're halfway there.

Taiwanese and Mainland mandarin are more similar than British and American English in a lot of ways. The traditional/simplified character thing is the biggest difference, but grammatically they're nearly identical and there are only a handful of non-slang words that are different. The creation of what would be modern Mandarin started long before 1949 so the basic framework exists in Taiwan and the mainland all the same.

Since the internet Taiwanese slang has been taking over the mainland anyway, so even that gap is lessening.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I have some questions about finding work in China, specifically in Hong Kong.

I'm several months away from finishing my Peace Corps stint teaching English in Outer Mongolia and I am starting to look for work after this. I have a friend in Hong Kong who is an Ex-Pat and is a teacher there, and she says whenever I want she can hook me up with her contacts at her school as well as a few others in the area. Although there is obviously no sure things, she is pretty confident that with my background (English degree, several years experience working with a program teaching High School ESL students, working in the university writing center, and 2 years peace corps) that I have a good chance at being able to find something.

Do you have a CELTA? Anyways...

If you want to teach public schools, look into the Native English Teacher (NET) program. In some ways it's similar to JET or EPIK but that you can never get kicked out and there's a pay scale progression. It's relatively decent pay as it includes the almighty housing allowance.

Still, universities may have job openings from time to time. I have a friend who teaches at Open University and the hours are pretty easy yet he pulls in 35,000 HKD a month or 54K USD a year.

HK is a pretty fun city and the goons here are pretty awesome.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't have a CELTA.

So scratch the Mandarin learning, got it. So what's the best way to just start looking for jobs in the area? I know there are some websites like Dave's ESL Cafe and stuff, but other than that I don't really know any way to look for jobs from the other side of the world.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
Remember, teachers: It can always get worse

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2013/01/31/beware-chinaesl-scam-alert-rebecca-tang-will-rip-you

(The realtalk here is, of course, to use Google. But still, homegirl had a bad time)

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Jesus christ, the comments. Who are those wierd diehard recruiter defenders that keep coming out of the woodwork whenever some disgruntled ESL teacher posts something like that?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Within 2 hours of having stormed out of the school I received a phone call from the recruiter who had sent me there offering to send me to an identical posting in Wuhan.

They're scum.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh the horror, 5000 RMB a month for 10+ hours? Ugh.

These predatory hiring practices ruins hopeful young people into bitter horrible people. That's why I try my darndest best to make people feel welcome in Hong Kong. Heck, if I ever get myself into financial ruin perhaps I should be a job agent / tourist guide to pick myself up.

In other news, I haven't eaten dinner until now so I ordered a double quarter pounder meal with twist twist fries. Since I haven't reach 60 HKD to waive the delivery charge I just opted for 6 more pieces of nuggets.

Hurray for caberchub!

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 25, 2014

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Anyone know what exactly the chinese wording for a release is to transfer a Work Certificate is? I need to know for when I Make My Demands

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry I'm too busy watching Mobile Fighter G-Gundam right now. Gundam Maxter is too awesome, he has a hover surfboard, wears a football helmet and wields boxing gloves. Neo America just used their Statue of Liberty Cannon :911:

Oh and Neo Russia is nothing more than a gulag in a giant frozen wasteland. It just attracts ambitious young people and then imprisons them for nefarious purposes. Somehow this made me think of you Ceciltron. Take care!

I'm sure Ghost Bob or your lawyer can help!

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 25, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
GhostBob... Goonttorney at Law!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Sorry I'm too busy watching Mobile Fighter G-Gundam right now. Gundam Maxter is too awesome, he has a hover surfboard, wears a football helmet and wields boxing gloves. Neo America just used their Statue of Liberty Cannon :911:

Oh and Neo Russia is nothing more than a gulag in a giant frozen wasteland. It just attracts ambitious young people and then imprisons them for nefarious purposes. Somehow this made me think of you Ceciltron. Take care!

I'm sure Ghost Bob or your lawyer can help!

Nether gundam is the best Gundam.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FearCotton posted:

Remember, teachers: It can always get worse

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2013/01/31/beware-chinaesl-scam-alert-rebecca-tang-will-rip-you

(The realtalk here is, of course, to use Google. But still, homegirl had a bad time)

This is pretty much exactly what I expect to read about in a situation like this. Poor girl, but welcome to China, I guess.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

People accept jobs for 5k per month in tier 1 cities?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

New Coke posted:

Jesus christ, the comments. Who are those wierd diehard recruiter defenders that keep coming out of the woodwork whenever some disgruntled ESL teacher posts something like that?

Yeah, the comments are horrible. I had to stop reading them because it was just depressing.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Jeoh posted:

People accept jobs for 5k per month in tier 1 cities?

They clearly don't know any better. Or maybe this was several years ago?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

blinkyzero posted:

Yeah, the comments are horrible. I had to stop reading them because it was just depressing.
I also had to stop reading, though it was more because I started getting angry, wanting to go find Ms. Tang and have a conversation based on this several year old thread to which I had more or less been randomly exposed. Though really I wanted to test the kung fu of the henchman criminal ChaoFan!

Evil Madame Tang! Your Agent Style Kung Fu is weak! You are no match for my Righteous Laowai Style!!!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Anyone know what exactly the chinese wording for a release is to transfer a Work Certificate is? I need to know for when I Make My Demands

Below is the format which I think we use, the document is titled:

外国文教专家和外籍专业人员推荐信

Random downloadable: http://bizpanda.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Chinese-release-letter.doc

But there is provincial variation and sometimes a bit of headed notepaper which gives "Proof of Dismissal" (解聘证明) will do (though not, I think, in your situation).

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 26, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ugh, that Beijinger post is depressing in so many ways. The recruiters are getting more and more of the market these days - seeing an advert from an individual institution or medium sized company is almost rare.

This coming year I have secured a small budget so we can advertise our vacancies directly and I am hoping that having a banner advert from a real live university is going to seem like a nice change for some people.

[edit]

Regarding scams: it must be said though that it takes two to tango. Alot of good people get caught out because they assume that "large business = security" or "university = well intentioned employer with public sector values" and fail to do enough background research. Some folks, well, some folks are going to get themselves into trouble regardless of whether they they know what quotation marks do for a search function.

There was once a guy up in Shenyang who phoned the US Embassy because his hot water boiler didn't work. Yeah, that was a fun thread.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 26, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing that jumped out to me when reading those comments was the girl told her employer "You left me completely broke--that was your choice, not mine."

Something like that makes me immediately suspicious of anything else the girl is saying. I mean that's a terribly stupid thing to say.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

The one thing that jumped out to me when reading those comments was the girl told her employer "You left me completely broke--that was your choice, not mine."

Something like that makes me immediately suspicious of anything else the girl is saying. I mean that's a terribly stupid thing to say.

The girl certainly doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, it's true.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, sees a contract that she's immediately unhappy with and suspicious about and goes ahead and signs it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
She comes off as annoyingly naive. She's 25 and moving halfway around the world without understanding a thing about the place she is going to...it's a bad fit.

I'm not much older than her but I grew up in a family of lawyers and judges...two judges/three lawyers with summer vacations in Maine and California ever since I was a kid. If you sign something, you've signed something. I don't really side with her on this issue. She may be right that this lady is taking her for a ride. If your employer is making you work illegally, they probably are, of course. They aren't even employing you legally, so why would you expect them to abide by the law with you? She put herself in this situation and it seems she got out of it, which is great and good job to her. I do understand what Rebecca is talking about though, because every time we get new foreigners over here, if they choose housing through us we have to go through an agency, find a place, put down rent, put a deposit, etc etc etc. If they live in a certain part of Tianjin, they have to pay a tax as a foreigner living there, they have to be registered with the police, the list goes on and on of stuff to do. Don't really care to finish reading all the comments, they get tiring after a while, but it just seems like she signed a terribly dumb contract and then bolted after she realized how bad it was.

At least she didn't end up agreeing to the new iTunes agreement like Kyle in South Park did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The weird "Chinese person trying to write very technical English" replies were pretty great.

I actually found my first ESL job, which was pretty good, through a recruiter. I didn't pay them anything, but my school did (this is how headhunters/recruiters are supposed to work).