Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Acquilae posted:

It's like these people think eating halal-approved food is a contract acceptance to be recruited into Al-Qaeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I once ate halal meat, and I instantly converted to Islam. But then I ate kosher meat and started feeling Jewish, so I don't what's goin' on in me right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I had a few kebabs from the place that sold them at uni back when I was a student. They had a sign saying the food was all halal. I have lived in fear since then, constantly worried that I'll be hit with a drone attack, or that I might wake up one morning in Guantanamo Bay or somewhere like that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Acquilae posted:

It's like these people think eating halal-approved food is a contract acceptance to be recruited into Al-Qaeda.

The whole objection to halal thing makes me irrationally angry. It's pretty much kosher without the magic spells and slightly fewer rules! The most important bit is a bare-minimum requirement of adequate treatment of the slaughtered animal! vmlfhm;lsmbs

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Acquilae posted:

There have been freep threads by people that have Christian priests bless their food to make sure it isn't halal by accident.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Acquilae posted:

If that's the case then give me a black banner and a framed picture of Osama bin Laden 'cause I've eaten enough halal meat salad to sink a boat.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vagabundo posted:

A bunch of loving animals, the lot of them. I wonder how many Freepers there are in this bunch.

Edit: I'll replace this image with one where the names have been smudged out if requested by a mod or an admin, although personally I would rather oblige them if they're not afraid to post such sickening garbage using their actual names.

I actually had to wipe out a post in the making about how these filth should be declared open season after I realised how angry this had made me.

God loving drat, it's a pity you can't remove these inbred blackshirts from society.

edit: Violently. Publicly.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
And make them martyrs? Why? Let them spout their hateful poo poo. Non-idiots will then easily know who not to associate with.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

God loving drat, it's a pity you can't remove these inbred blackshirts from society.

edit: Violently. Publicly.

You'd fit right in!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Acquilae posted:

We can only fight back by eating kosher meat!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

dukeku posted:

You'd fit right in!

Gazing into the abyss, etc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Don't touch the poop.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

dukeku posted:

You'd fit right in!

"How dare you get mad at violent racist pieces of poo poo, by golly you're JUST LIKE the guys who want to murder all Muslims :qq:"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If there's one thing that I've learned from reading the FReep thread it's that if the FReep thread is making you angry/sad, take a break.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The whole objection to halal thing makes me irrationally angry. It's pretty much kosher without the magic spells and slightly fewer rules! The most important bit is a bare-minimum requirement of adequate treatment of the slaughtered animal! vmlfhm;lsmbs

The ritual slaughter required to produce halal meat includes just as many prayers as kosher slaughter, and it has the same objection in that it is specifically prohibited that the animal die from exsanguination and that the spinal cord not be severed and thus can lead to a needlessly prolonged death for the animal being slaughtered. Engaging in pointless animal cruelty because you think the magic man in the sky wants you to is just as grotesque no matter which god's nutty dictates you think you're following. Of course, the :freep: objection to halal is 100% about the Muslim element and 0% about animal cruelty, which I would guess they mostly come down in favor of.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This brings me back to the heady days of Facebook, when Campbell's Soup originally began offering halal products (or had been all along and some reporter noticed it, I forget). I ended up arguing pointlessly with some freepy-types on some "Boycott Campbells FOREVER" page over it. Eventually I kind of forgot about it but never actually unsubscribed, and during the run-up to the 2012 election the page's creator started using it as a platform to show his unabashed support for the only true conservative candidate, Rick Santorum. I thought that was a nice touch.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Halal is sort of a red flag for bigots the world over.

A while back, here in the frozen wasteland of Sweden, a municipality decided to switch suppliers of the meat that was to be served for lunch in the schools. They found a supplier that matched the criteria and was cheaper than the old supplier. It was, however, halal meat. Cue angry parents storming facebook, the school and municipality receiving threathening letters and phone calls, and the comments sections in newspapers being aflame with virulent racism.

Many of the protesters professed a great worry about animal cruelty, which is a fair point. But, fact is that in Sweden there are (as in most countries) quite strict laws about this, and halal meat is no exception. The various large muslim communities and experts in Sweden has declared that the meat is still halal and that God is probably fine with it, since they are, like most people in the world, reasonable people. The second argument was that schools are by law strictly non-confessional, and religious elements are not allowed. They claimed that forcing the children to eat halal meat would be the same as forcing the children to participate in islamic religious ceremonies. "If they can force my atheist child to eat halal, they should also force the muslim kids to eat pork!" was a common rallying cry.

Far-right parties were not late to the game either, screeching about "stealth-islamization" and "buckling under the demands of muslims". The whole issue died down when courts declared that the whole thing was fine and legal, and the racists grudgingly went on to search for other opportunities to hate muslims.

The children, I suspect, ate the meat and thought nothing of it.

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Same here in Denmark. The shitstorm first died down when nearly all of the country had to be told that the meat produced in Denmark has been halal since the loving 70s for export reasons. Unless the people who pitched a fit are stealth muslims, there's probably no problem :denmark:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Insect Court posted:

The ritual slaughter required to produce halal meat includes just as many prayers as kosher slaughter, and it has the same objection in that it is specifically prohibited that the animal die from exsanguination and that the spinal cord not be severed and thus can lead to a needlessly prolonged death for the animal being slaughtered. Engaging in pointless animal cruelty because you think the magic man in the sky wants you to is just as grotesque no matter which god's nutty dictates you think you're following. Of course, the :freep: objection to halal is 100% about the Muslim element and 0% about animal cruelty, which I would guess they mostly come down in favor of.

I've heard this which if true I think is a legitimate objection but yeah most of the people freaking out certainly don't care about ethical animal slaughter.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lycus posted:

I once ate halal meat, and I instantly converted to Islam. But then I ate kosher meat and started feeling Jewish, so I don't what's goin' on in me right now.

Why do you think the US loves bacon?
It's because we hate jews and muslims.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What bugs me the most about the whole "halal is EVIL MOOSELIM" thing is how reminiscent it is of Nazi propaganda about kosher meats.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fandyien posted:

What bugs me the most about the whole "halal is EVIL MOOSELIM" thing is how reminiscent it is of Nazi propaganda about kosher meats.

Right-wingers using framing tactics similar of fascists in the past?! Well I never!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Gen. Ripper posted:

"How dare you get mad at violent racist pieces of poo poo, by golly you're JUST LIKE the guys who want to murder all Muslims :qq:"

We can't be mean to the other guys at all people, if we continue Restoring Sanity society will surely rise up in support of us, the adults in the room.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I'll always remember the time I bought some meat that was certified both kosher and halal and I turned Jewish and Muslim at the same time

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Gen. Ripper posted:

Desiring to purge people who disagree with you is a very sane, rational idea, just like all of those sane, rational ideas posted on FR.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tacodaemon posted:

I'll always remember the time I bought some meat that was certified both kosher and halal and I turned Jewish and Muslim at the same time
You became Ibrahim?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Mooch and the wookie comments were found on a hunch+CtrlF. Nice to see people associating their real names and faces to this stuff, hopefully it comes back to hurt at least some of them.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I also grabbed a bunch of Subway Facebook comments for the PYF thread here. My favourite was the guy who implicated Subway in a Benghazi cover-up.

It's funny stuff, but I think it's harmful to a degree as well. All of these highly publicized boycotts are reinforcing the false, Freepish notion that these kinds of people really are the silent majority of Americans, and that "voting with your wallet" actually works against companies this large. It's terribly naive. Subway is the largest fast-food franchise in the world - even bigger than McDonalds. They aren't going to go broke because a minority of Republicans hate them now. I mean, I don't buy drinks at Starbucks anymore, but I don't expect their empire to crumble anytime soon.

Also related to the discussion - I actually lost a longtime friend over Campbell's introducing Halal chicken noodle soup. I made a joke on her anti-Campbell's petition and she sent me a bunch of messages accusing me of various misdeeds, called me a "dhimmi" and never spoke to me again.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Oh god, what prompted this to be posted? :stonk:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I love how they're offended more by the fact that Michelle is involved than the fact that a corporation is getting endorsed by the sitting president's wife. Priorities, I guess.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ChaosSamusX posted:

Oh god, what prompted this to be posted? :stonk:

We here in the States wanted to watch Canadian goons go :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Seriously, is that actually a Canadian-owned site? Because I'm skeptical.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Insect Court posted:

I snuck in that "bare minimum" line for a reason, but the spinal cord thing is an excellent point I had not directly considered.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I get that they don't like the President, but what the hell did Michelle ever do to them?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bender posted:

I get that they don't like the President, but what the hell did Michelle ever do to them?

She blacked all over the White House.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bender posted:

Told them to maybe eat a salad instead of dodging them. While being black.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lycus posted:

Seriously, is that actually a Canadian-owned site? Because I'm skeptical.

There are Canadian politicians that have been looking to the United States for stupid policy ideas so it's very possible there are Canadian citizens looking to the United States for stupid belief systems.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

We here in the States wanted to watch Canadian goons go :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:.

Well it's working.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

It's nice to know people still see Canada as this bastion of progressive thought and politics, even as we descend (further) into becoming a racist petro-state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Little Blackfly posted:

It's nice to know people still see Canada as this bastion of progressive thought and politics, even as we descend (further) into becoming a racist petro-state.

Yeah, well at least you use your petro-dollars to fund some decent crumbs for the proles. Here we just get to lay down in the street and die.

• Locked thread