Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Inline six rules. Jaguar XK6, Aston Martin straight six, etc. What a treat to have a BMW straight six – because there are basically no others on the market. I remember driving my ex girlfriend's e46 325 at 60 in second gear on a freeway entrance ramp and it felt hilariously smoother than my four cylinder at 70 in fifth.

Pretty Boy Floyd fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

NWDub posted:

yes, take a car with 50/50 weight distribution and gently caress IT ALL UP

Moving the engine farther back is a good thing. Whether or not the firewall fabrication they did is safe is another matter.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NWDub posted:

yes, take a car with 50/50 weight distribution and gently caress IT ALL UP

It's a swapped 24v car so it wouldn't have been 50/50 anyway.

I dunno, if the work was done well i bet its riot to drive.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

1985 325e with a bunch of miles (odometer was broken when I bought it 5 years ago and I've been through one or two gauge clusters). Long Island, NY, hoping to get $3k for it. I'll do a serious post in the Marketplace either later tonight or tomorrow.

edit: LINK

$2000 for anyone that'll pick it up. Hopefully picking up the new car this week and won't have room for this anymore. Really gonna miss this thing.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My 328i (E90) just had the service engine light turn on after I stopped at a stoplight maybe 15 to 20 minutes ago. The car started shuddering, too.

Thing is, shifting into DS stopped the problem. I pulled into a parking lot, turned off the car, and when I started it up a couple minutes later, everything's hunky-dory. No light, no rough idling.

Oil level seems fine. The only message the car's giving me is the low windshield wiper fluid warning from a while back (what can I say? Hasn't been rainy here for a while). I did drive in freezing weather unexpectedly last night for an hour, but not sure that would affect anything.

Am I insane for wanting to try to drive home 130 miles? I'm stuck in Merced otherwise and don't know any trustworthy mechanics here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Could be VANOS. I had a problem in my 328 where the SES light would come on for no reason on longer drives. Then it would turn off the next day. Ended up being VANOS.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Could be VANOS. I had a problem in my 328 where the SES light would come on for no reason on longer drives. Then it would turn off the next day. Ended up being VANOS.

That sounds expensive. :ohdear:

Just remembered that the compass direction indicator got wonky last night for a couple of minutes. The amber got super bright and started flashing. Never had that happen before.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The transmission issue and other wonky things not necessarily related should make every BMW owner immediately assume voltage/alternator/battery/ground issues. Any other lights pop up on the dash lately?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The check oil light popped up right as I got home. I put a quart in and let my mechanic know. He's thinking it might be a bad emission coil, but I'll find out the real damage tomorrow sometime (both to the car and my pocketbook).

edit: Just needed a new emission coil and spark plug. Inexpensive fix.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 23, 2014

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

rscott posted:

M51 diesel, same engine as you'd get in a 525td/s

The intake manifold and valve cover look like an M50.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe it's a swap? idk, the M51 was an option in those rovers so I guess swapping over a M50 isn't terribly difficult.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

Maybe it's a swap? idk, the M51 was an option in those rovers so I guess swapping over a M50 isn't terribly difficult.

A google indicates the intake runners on the '51 are metal and the plenum is forward, not in the middle so, yeah, a probable swap.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rscott posted:

So you go from one GODDAMNED COOLING SYSTEM to another...great! :v:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Well that explains the screwy camber.

User Error fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 26, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

User Error posted:

Well that explains the screwy camber.

On the plus side, it failed like it was supposed to.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Hey BMW thread. I was browsing my local classified ads (for no particular reason) and came across this. If I had the cash, this would've been an impulse buy for sure. So loving pretty. Had to share!

http://goo.gl/dYCVdQ

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I have a few DME questions. I specifically need this info for E34s but it should probably apply to other similar year cars.

Except for cases involving EWS-II, are DMEs compatible between cars as long as the part number is the same and haven't had a chip swapped out or been reprogrammed?

If I put a non-EWS-II DME in an EWS-II car, I would have to disable the EWS-II system in the car?

If I put an EWS-II DME in a non EWS-II car, I would have to disable EWS-II in the DME itself before the car would start?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
EWS-II (ie OBD2) cars don't really have swappable chips, they have to be reprogrammed. And EWS is actually an integrated function of the DME, with external modules.

My understanding is this:
-Chip in key is picked up by antenna ring around ignition
-Signal is sent to EWS box, then on to the DME
-Voodoo poo poo happens where key and DME codes are compared
-DME now allows spark + fuel

So for the first question, you just need to plug in the ECU. I can't remember if you need to bypass the EWS box or just leave it as is.

2nd question the answer is "yes, sort of". You have two options - have the EWS disabled via programming, or if you can get your hands on everything from the EWSII car you can actually transfer everything over. Some people just take the key from the old car and tape it near the antenna ring. I can't remember if the EWS boxes are unique to each car.

There is also EWS-I (silver label OBD1 DME), but those can just be swapped for red label ones.

This is all from memory so I may have small details not quite correct.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Thank you!

So are same model number DMEs otherwise interchangeable then when neither the car nor the DME have any EWS-II components present?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Probably best to read this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1603140-EWS-II-Explained-in-Detail

From some cursory research you need to jump the starter wires on the EWS box to bypass it if using a non-EWS/deleted EWS DME. If the non-ews DME is going into a non-EWS2 chassis there should be no issues. As long as the DME is meant to run that motor it should work. It's only when you get into CANBUS where you can't move DMEs between chassis easily.

What exactly are you planning to do?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Probably best to read this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1603140-EWS-II-Explained-in-Detail

From some cursory research you need to jump the starter wires on the EWS box to bypass it if using a non-EWS/deleted EWS DME. If the non-ews DME is going into a non-EWS2 chassis there should be no issues. As long as the DME is meant to run that motor it should work. It's only when you get into CANBUS where you can't move DMEs between chassis easily.

What exactly are you planning to do?

I have a guy who wants to buy some tail lights that I put up on Craigslist. I told him I have a whole 1994 540i parts car as well and he's interested in the DME.

I wanted to learn a little more before I decide to sell it and for how much. I DD a 1995 530i and it doesn't sound like it would swap into my car so that helps me make my decision.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah you would still need to work around the EWS1 on the 540i DME. I have no idea about that, mostly familiar with E36s where you would simply use a red label non-EWS DME.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005
I'm thinking it's time that I replace battery on my e36 convertible. I thought that I read somewhere that some batteries weren't as good as others, but I can't find what I thought that I read. Anyone have any thoughts on batteries? Specifically - the AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size T7, 640 CCA from Advance (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...5597#fragment-1) ? I have a $50 coupon for them that I'd like to take advantage of.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

emanonii posted:

I'm thinking it's time that I replace battery on my e36 convertible. I thought that I read somewhere that some batteries weren't as good as others, but I can't find what I thought that I read. Anyone have any thoughts on batteries? Specifically - the AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size T7, 640 CCA from Advance (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...5597#fragment-1) ? I have a $50 coupon for them that I'd like to take advantage of.

I've never had any problems with Advance Auto's batteries, I threw one in my ex's 240 and in my girlfriend's Buick and haven't had any problems. I think I have a Bosch from PepBoys in my e46 right now because they had a coupon at the time I was buying.

Does anyone have the tire pressure offhand for an e46 coupe? I'd look in the door jam but the sticker was mysteriously never there. I'm assuming like 32psi in the front and then 36psi in the back or something like that.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 29, 2014

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

emanonii posted:

I'm thinking it's time that I replace battery on my e36 convertible...

I slapped a 1000CCA Bosch from pep boy's in my e36 sedan. I think they were doing a 20% coupon at the time. Cranks like a sum bitch when it's -10...like today. Not the standard battery, but, at least in my car, all you need to do is move the battery clamp down two holes to accommodate the slightly longer battery.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

emanonii posted:

as long as it's an AGM you're good to go

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

Viper_3000, ThirstyBuck, and NWDub posted:

battery comments

Thanks, I appreciate it.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
So I'm thinking about checking out this 540i tomorrow: http://tinyurl.com/mas8lqp

Sport with comfort seats in a very interesting color. Think its worth seeing?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

crutt posted:

So I'm thinking about checking out this 540i tomorrow: http://tinyurl.com/mas8lqp

I think it's worth looking at, but that price better be negotiable unless they have a stack of service records from the BMW dealership. Check the normal things that go wrong, get a PPI, blah blah normal stuff.

I'm a complete sucker for the 540i though. I think it's just about the perfect balance of having enough balls to move out of it's way and get around a corner with decent steering feel while still being a comfortable commuter/highway car.

On another note, I replaced my 7 year old dry-rotted tires with some Michelin Pilot A/S 3's today. Holy poo poo, it's like driving a new car. Need to go get an alignment this weekend though as it's pulling to the right a bit. (Also if you have a Sam's club membership you should totally buy your tires there. They came in about $60 cheaper than any place in town when you factor in installation and disposal fees)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

crutt posted:

I'm interested as to why it has the regular E39 steering wheel and not the sport steering wheel. Did '98s only have that wheel or something?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I'm interested as to why it has the regular E39 steering wheel and not the sport steering wheel. Did '98s only have that wheel or something?

Actually yeah, looking at it during normal waking hours, something seems up here.

Putting the vin in here shows that it only has the M Sport suspension, and not actually a sport package. Those rims are aftermarket as well if you care about things like that.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Viper_3000 posted:

On another note, I replaced my 7 year old dry-rotted tires with some Michelin Pilot A/S 3's today. Holy poo poo, it's like driving a new car. Need to go get an alignment this weekend though as it's pulling to the right a bit. (Also if you have a Sam's club membership you should totally buy your tires there. They came in about $60 cheaper than any place in town when you factor in installation and disposal fees)

I replaced my rears with these and I'm really happy with them. I hate my front tires (cheap, maybe one is slightly unbalanced) but they have plenty of tread life left so I can't justify a set of fronts as well while I'm dumping money into my other, much more AI project.

On a separate note, I did the muffler and resonator delete (not the Y-resonator, just the two big cans) on my 2001 540i and dear god does it sound good. It's so incredibly well balanced with the engine noise now. I even opted for flanges on the replacement straight pipe, main pipe and old muffler/resonator so I can swap it out if I want to appear civilized. All told it cost $125 and has totally transformed the car. It does have a drone if you try and cruise the highway at 1300-1700rpm, but really, you should just go up a gear then anyways. 75mph in 6th at ~2200 rpm and you can't even tell. Put your foot down, and you can :).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312736

At $3500 is that a decent price?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seems legit!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah that's a good price. Those wheels are almost certainly going to rub on bumps if they're from an E38 (looks like it), unless the rear fenders have been rolled. Either way, the price seems fair to me. If the sunroof has issues I'd try to haggle another 500 or so off, but even at 3500 it's probably a good deal.

I'd let the chassis condition be the deciding factor. Check for rust, wreck damage and subframe mount/shock mount failure.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Can you replace the black cladding at the bottom with the body colored cladding from later years? I think that's the only thing that really turns me off about 93s.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ask about RTAB bushings. Whether they've been replaced. It's nearly impossible to see the conditions of the RTAB mounts though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

rscott posted:

Can you replace the black cladding at the bottom with the body colored cladding from later years? I think that's the only thing that really turns me off about 93s.

Believe it or not BMW painted that grey over top of the body color. I've seen people sand it down and polish, but yes, you can repaint them.

Also I wouldn't bother with caring about RTAB condition. They're ten bucks a piece and take an hour to swap out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seems legit. He's in LA and I'm in Phoenix so it's a cheap ticket away should the fuckers ahead of me fall through.

Either way, if I don't get the E36 I'm buying a drat Ducati 749 so I win either way.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/302489-2004-ducati-749-a.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

Believe it or not BMW painted that grey over top of the body color. I've seen people sand it down and polish, but yes, you can repaint them.

Also I wouldn't bother with caring about RTAB condition. They're ten bucks a piece and take an hour to swap out.

an hour to replace RTABs? whaaaaat?