Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
In the "You may also enjoy" section after Girl Model - "Meet the Fokkens. Identical twins Louise and Martine Fokkens discuss their lives as prostitutes in Amsterdam's Red Light District for more than 50 years."

Oh my. How can I pass this up? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Thora posted:

In the "You may also enjoy" section after Girl Model - "Meet the Fokkens. Identical twins Louise and Martine Fokkens discuss their lives as prostitutes in Amsterdam's Red Light District for more than 50 years."

Oh my. How can I pass this up? :allears:

I hear it's really depressing, but pretty good

On that note, I may finally bring myself to watch Whore's Glory this afternoon. I have plenty of bourbon on hand for afterwards.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Crow Jane posted:

Got sucked down a documentary wormhole yesterday. The Queen of Versailles is as good as everyone said it was... the lady does seem like a very nice person, and I did feel bad for her. Her husband and their house are awful, though.

Then Netflix recommended I watch Girl Model, which was about a 13 year old Siberian girl trying to make it as a model in Japan. It was really sad and disturbing, and I thought the filmmaker was awful. She's a former model who now works as a scout. She claims to hate the industry, but that doesn't stop her from recruiting children knowing full well some of them will end up as prostitutes. She's also kind of creepy.

After that was a documentary about Chinese girls adopted by American parents, and that was rather good. Then I just watched Stephen Fry in America, which is very good. Though I love Stephen Fry, so I may be biased.

I just finished watching this based on your post. That recruiter ex-model is...odd. And a bit messed up.

What other documentaries should I watch, ladythread? Last night I watched Miss Representation, which I think I heard about in this thread some time ago, but it might have been another thread.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Crow Jane posted:

I hear it's really depressing, but pretty good

On that note, I may finally bring myself to watch Whore's Glory this afternoon. I have plenty of bourbon on hand for afterwards.

Whores glory and meet the fokkens are both good

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

unfortunately this is not true, you lose plat when you get banned

oh and thanks for the offer too but its not that big of a deal you dont have to do that

Darn, I guess it's just probation, then. Avshalom, if you're lurking we love you!

I'm doing work again, which is super sad. I'm slightly delayed because of cat cuteness/cuddles. I also got an email from my niece, who is very diligent about subject lines. Her email this morning said "Are you awake?" and the subject line was "Awake".

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Wicker Man posted:

It sucks when you haven't quite started yet, but then you start feeling awesome as you get in the middle-to-close to finishing! Hardest part is just getting started.

Seriously. I got to the gym and I was the ONLY PERSON THERE and I almost walked back out because, gently caress it. No one else is working out. But I killed that poo poo. Now I feel like She Hulk and want to walk around flexing and growling at random people. "I JUST DID AN ENTIRE WEIGHT CIRCUIT TO FAIL AND IT'S NOT EVEN 10AM WHAT HAVE YOU FUCKERS DONE THIS MORNING?"

... I'm over compensating because I miss football.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
The mummy is on. Love that movie

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

The mummy is on. Love that movie

The good one, or the Brendan Fraser one?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Nessa posted:

The good one, or the Brendan Fraser one?

The Brendan Fraser one. I like cheesy action movies

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sonrisa posted:

"I JUST DID AN ENTIRE WEIGHT CIRCUIT TO FAIL AND IT'S NOT EVEN 10AM WHAT HAVE YOU FUCKERS DONE THIS MORNING?"

I'll have you know I got bored and straightened my hair to see what it looked like :colbert:

"Like a cheap wig" turned out to be the answer

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Crow Jane posted:

I'll have you know I got bored and straightened my hair to see what it looked like :colbert:

I like it

I am growing my hair out for locks of love like thing and it keeps getting tangled. I can't wait to cut it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love what you're wearing; that looks gorgeous with your hair colour.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks! I need a trim... once I start having to brush my bangs aside in order to see, it means it's time to schedule an appointment

When I straighten it, I can actually pull it back, which is nice. gently caress spending 45 minutes doing that every morning, though

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Sonrisa posted:

Seriously. I got to the gym and I was the ONLY PERSON THERE and I almost walked back out because, gently caress it. No one else is working out. But I killed that poo poo. Now I feel like She Hulk and want to walk around flexing and growling at random people. "I JUST DID AN ENTIRE WEIGHT CIRCUIT TO FAIL AND IT'S NOT EVEN 10AM WHAT HAVE YOU FUCKERS DONE THIS MORNING?"

I love that feeling. Even when I have to drag myself to the gym, after lifting I always think I look amazing (even on "fat" days). I don't think I've ever regretted going to the gym but I've definitely regretted bailing.

Crow Jane posted:

Does it look very short when it's not straightened? I've always wanted to have curly hair to play with, my won't hold a curl for anything.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

t_violet posted:

Does it look very short when it's not straightened? I've always wanted to have curly hair to play with, my won't hold a curl for anything.
It looks 2-3 inches shorter and about 6 inches wider if I let it go natural

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

It looks 2-3 inches shorter and about 6 inches wider if I let it go natural

NGL, this is what I'm picturing:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
So on Sundays, I typically make a big thing of dried beans in my dutch oven using this method. Today I'm making black beans (for tacos tonight and taco salads for lunch all week). I put in the black beans and then threw garlic cloves and giant chops of onion in coffee filters and put them in with the beans. I don't even like onions that much and it smells so good right now :chef:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

beans ftw

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pretty much. When I had more hair, it got wider than my shoulders on humid days

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

detectivemonkey posted:

threw garlic cloves and giant chops of onion in coffee filters

this works? cool. how do you seal them?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I just saw Frozen. My sister and I were the only ones laughing in a cinema full of children. I'm disappointed in the youth of today.

Also here is my Dads cat who only ever gets cuddles when I'm here and he is making the most of it.

And I can walk on my hip again, I just look like I'm about 90. I'm having a nice day :)

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

toe knee hand posted:

this works? cool. how do you seal them?

I don't, I just leave them in huge chunks so if they get loose I can just pick them out. I still cook them again later in the actual final seasoning (since you have to rinse all of the original cooking liquid off to avoid :marc: forever).

Speaking of which, I usually do that in a skillet for taco beans, but I want to do about 5 cups at once. Would it work just as well in a big pot?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Probably. Whenever I make chili, I just let it cook forever in a Dutch oven and it works fine

You should try adding some good dark beer to the mix

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Probably. Whenever I make chili, I just let it cook forever in a Dutch oven and it works fine

You should try adding some good dark beer to the mix

Oh man, we do that for chili but for some reason never with regular beans -- with that we just use water and a ton of spices and simmer them. You're my hero.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is the neighbour's cat. We don't know his name, we just call him Mr. Cat, or Buddy. He started hanging around the yard, and one day sauntered right into the house. It was cold out, and his people leave him outside all night, so mom let him come in and warm up. He left an hour or so later, but he comes around every few days.

As you can see, he makes himself right at home.

Oddly enough, our girls don't mind him. They hate hate hate all the other tom cats that come into their yard. (The girls are indoor cats, they don't get to go out without supervision, so they don't get into fights they just sit in the windows with their mad ears on.)

Maybe it's his beautiful blue eyes. His beautiful, cross-eyed blue eyes.

Mom gives him the girl's left over canned food. "He's so thin!" My poor old mum doesn't see so well anymore.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Isn't that a Birman cat? They are coolest, lovey-dovey type cats around. I'm not surprised your other cats tolerate him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Angela Christine posted:

This is the neighbour's cat. We don't know his name, we just call him Mr. Cat, or Buddy. He started hanging around the yard, and one day sauntered right into the house. It was cold out, and his people leave him outside all night, so mom let him come in and warm up. He left an hour or so later, but he comes around every few days.

Oddly enough, our girls don't mind him. They hate hate hate all the other tom cats that come into their yard. (The girls are indoor cats, they don't get to go out without supervision, so they don't get into fights they just sit in the windows with their mad ears on.)

Mom gives him the girl's left over canned food. "He's so thin!" My poor old mum doesn't see so well anymore.

that cat sucks, this is a cat

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Tao Jones posted:

Isn't that a Birman cat? They are coolest, lovey-dovey type cats around. I'm not surprised your other cats tolerate him.

We don't know a thing about him, not even his real name. He's a big dopey sweetheart though.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Angela Christine posted:

wanna pet that cat

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

what if that cat gets fleas

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Donkay NOoo posted:

they'd probably be cute fleas

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

psst, got a little something on your face

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

his people leave him outside all night.

The bad thing about cats is that if you try and give them a curfew, they tend to ignore it. He is such a beautiful kitty though, what a big pile of fluff he is. :3:

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

I can't have cats. They send me into allergy fits. It's ok though. I have... TERRIERS! Everyone loves terriers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5bIW882OR8

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sonrisa posted:

I can't have cats. They send me into allergy fits. It's ok though. I have... TERRIERS! Everyone loves terriers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5bIW882OR8

Knew what this was without even clicking. Kids in the Hall is the best.

I always sing "The Daves I Know" to my friend Dave. Surprisingly he's still my friend

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Angela Christine posted:

I kinda got a cat like that. He's a kitten that started showing up a few months ago. I know he's someone's 'cause they've gotten him a collar (twice!) and once he showed up with a fabric cone after getting fixed but they seem to let him out the whole night, even when it's freezing. He didn't show up the day it snowed but he showed up in the middle of the night the next night. I can't figure out if they really care about him at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The bad thing about cats is that if you try and give them a curfew, they tend to ignore it. He is such a beautiful kitty though, what a big pile of fluff he is. :3:

Yeah, we had a few really cold nights, but usually his coat should be more than enough. We live on Vancouver Island, the big island a little northwest of Seattle, it doesn't get much below freezing very often. I'm sure he enjoys roaming. Apparently he's decided this is part of his territory.

Donkay NOoo posted:

Oh, he definitely will. The price of mild winters is an abundance of fleas. The wet winters drown most of the larvae in the grass, but it never kills them off entirely. Even though my two barely go out at all, they pick up fleas in the summer. As long as my cats are treated, him dropping the occasional flea won't set off an infestation in the house. And in the summer he probably won't be able to convince my mother that he's suffering and needs to come in.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Knew what this was without even clicking. Kids in the Hall is the best.

I always sing "The Daves I Know" to my friend Dave. Surprisingly he's still my friend

That's because it's an awesome song.

Here are my two bitches.

I had JUST put fresh sheets and duvet on my bed and made it all nice and the next thing I know that little brat just made herself at home in the middle, wrinkling it all up.

Pepper is super prissy because she's a pretty pretty princess and oh, you were cold? I put a sweater on you so you wouldn't be cold and OH MY GOD DOG STOP IT. You are not paralyzed and I am NOT putting you in your bed you little poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Whoa, according to the Modcloth sizing chart, my hips are a 0, but my bust is an 8 and my waist is a 6. I usually wear a size 2 or a 4. I guess this means I'll be ordering a size 6? Or maybe an 8?

Nessa fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 26, 2014

• Locked thread