Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Butt Wizard posted:

Seems like they lost a real opportunity to put a timer at the top of the screen instead of speed and then use track sectors as checkpoints.

Nah, I just paid 150 bucks for 10Hz GPS to tell me my speed. If you know your tires limit speed through a corner, you aim for that speed. The purple time is a little strange though. I want to see red if I'm slower in a sector or overall, or green if I'm quicker. So I prioritize immediate speed limit info over time, and the time I just need to be color coded so I don't need to really see what it says.

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

Shaq can fit in a smallish Buick or maybe the Buick was built around him or maybe he's actually sitting the rear seat?

I call bullshit, the wheel well seems to swallow up all the space where the dead pedal would be. There were a few reasons why I went with a Lucerne over a Lacross, and the big one was my size 14s cant fit where the pedals are. Well that and a bench seat. (And I am a 3800 whore)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BabyMauler posted:

(And I am a 3800 whore)

Ladies and gentlemen: Stockholm Syndrome.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leica posted:

Well duh, everyone knows that real 'Muricans eat meat and that's who they are marketing too.

You're a Vegan? gently caress YOU drive a Prius, you don't deserve a truck :colbert:

To be fair most cars aren't vegan, there's a lot of animal-derived chemicals in them even beyond the obvious stuff like leather.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

To be fair most cars aren't vegan, there's a lot of animal-derived chemicals in them even beyond the obvious stuff like leather.

I wasn't implying any car was vegan, just that GM doesn't want vegans buying their trucks because only real Americans kill animals and eat them :911:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

BabyMauler posted:

I call bullshit, the wheel well seems to swallow up all the space where the dead pedal would be. There were a few reasons why I went with a Lucerne over a Lacross, and the big one was my size 14s cant fit where the pedals are. Well that and a bench seat. (And I am a 3800 whore)

Car and Driver actually tested this with a guy who was around Shaq's size and surprisingly enough he fit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Shaq can fit in a smallish Buick or maybe the Buick was built around him or maybe he's actually sitting the rear seat?

Shaq's had numerous cars custom built at WCC and the first thing they always discuss is removing the rear seats so they can move the front one back.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Shaq's had numerous cars custom built at WCC and the first thing they always discuss is removing the rear seats so they can move the front one back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPk9KZbdAE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's loving happening. There was a GMC commercial during the kings/ducks game

"To build strength and durability into the bed of the new GMC sierra, GMC engineers demanded rolled formed steel, for the same reason rolled steel is used in the hull of submarines, big ones" *giant submarine pops out of the ice*

I hate their "progress is a bad thing, unless it's us doing it" attitude.

Yeah I saw this one during various football games. I love how they don't explain why submarines use cold rolled steel, or why you would want it in your truck. "They use it in subs. That's all you need to know". I would guess they use it in subs because subs are loving big and to use titanium or stainless or whatever the gently caress else would be prohibitively expensive. So the message I get from that ad is "we use cold rolled steel in our trucks because it's cheap". Not that that's a bad thing, it implies that if you bash the poo poo out of your truck, replacing body panels won't cost you as much as aluminum or titanium or something. I don't think that's the message they were trying to get across though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
As mentioned, Soviet subs (well, one class of Soviet sub) did use titanium hulls, to better evade magnetic anomaly detectors. The sub in the ad appears to be a Sturgeon class, which is a 1960s American unit. You should buy a rolled steel truck because your dick is just like a submarine - enourmous and black. And made of rolled steel.

Remember how the Infinit Q50 is going to replace the G37 but not really and they're going to keep the G37 around for a bit? Of course you do. Well it turns out they're not actually going to do that either. The G37 is staying in production as the Q40.

Aside from confusing the hell out of people this actually seems like a pretty sensible idea, because they're going to need to come up with something cheaper to slot below the Q50, and the G37 is a pretty decent car.The alternative is probably going to be a rebadged Altima or some other FWD poo poo, like Lexus does with the ES. Imagine if MB had kept the las gen C class around for a while to sell for cheaper than the new C-class, instead of the FWD CLA.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Linedance posted:

Yeah I saw this one during various football games. I love how they don't explain why submarines use cold rolled steel, or why you would want it in your truck. "They use it in subs. That's all you need to know". I would guess they use it in subs because subs are loving big and to use titanium or stainless or whatever the gently caress else would be prohibitively expensive. So the message I get from that ad is "we use cold rolled steel in our trucks because it's cheap". Not that that's a bad thing, it implies that if you bash the poo poo out of your truck, replacing body panels won't cost you as much as aluminum or titanium or something. I don't think that's the message they were trying to get across though.

Theres a Silverado commercial where the guy is on a noisy freeway, and he gets into the truck and its quiet.

The tagline is "no competitors truck is quieter then the Silverado" Which means that the competitors trucks are probably exactly the same, but with wording they are making it seem like its better.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Rhyno posted:

I still remember the MTV Cribs with Shaq and they spent a good percentage of the episode discussing his bed and car because it was ridiculous. He had an s500 or 600 that was modified so he basically sat in the backseat. It also had the Super Shaq symbol on the hood, which I thought was rad as hell when I was 15. His bed was a "california super king" or whatever he called it and was basically an entire room's worth of mattress.

I remember him saying that before he made it to the NBA he never had a bed that fit or a car he could comfortably drive, which sucks if you think about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think very few people actually understand how massive of a person Shaq is. He looks big on TV standing next to other NBA players and he makes some of them look small, but the man is loving ginormous.

This happened while Shaq was playing in Phoenix a few years ago. There's a big difference between Shaq 'fitting' someplace and having an ideal comfortable driving position.

Shaq fits in a Honda Prelude

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
He also claimed that the bed was steel reinforced because... You know

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

N is for Nipples posted:

The F150 SuperCrew has an absolutely unfathomable amount of cab room. Leg room measured in acres.
Honestly the truck arms race really loving pisses me off.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Full-size trucks and SUVs are getting to the point that I sincerely believe it's time for either strict extra licensing requirements or legislation bringing height and size down for the sake of safety. I drive a mid-size car and it's still dwarfed by all the large trucks being driven around my city (Empty, with a single occupant, of course), to the point that I can't imagine driving something like a Miata here.

It doesn't really matter how many stars your Civic scored when crashed into a static barrier when an F-350 with 2-3 times the mass rams into you and rides up into the passenger cage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nissan seems to be really into the down-sizing thing.

That's a 1.5L, 3-cylinder, 40kg, 400hp, 380nm engine for their upcoming experimental 24 Hours of Le Mans entry.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086869_nissan-reveals-zeod-rcs-400-hp-3-cylinder-engine-confirms-2015-lmp1-entry

Come on Nissan, put that thing in a hot hatch, please! (Or a motorcycle!)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a 1.5L, 3-cylinder, 40kg, 400hp, 380nm engine for their upcoming experimental 24 Hours of Le Mans entry.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086869_nissan-reveals-zeod-rcs-400-hp-3-cylinder-engine-confirms-2015-lmp1-entry

Come on Nissan, put that thing in a hot hatch, please! (Or a motorcycle!)

Bolt it to the front of a morgan 3 wheeler. :getin:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wheeee posted:

Full-size trucks and SUVs are getting to the point that I sincerely believe it's time for either strict extra licensing requirements or legislation bringing height and size down for the sake of safety. I drive a mid-size car and it's still dwarfed by all the large trucks being driven around my city (Empty, with a single occupant, of course), to the point that I can't imagine driving something like a Miata here.

It doesn't really matter how many stars your Civic scored when crashed into a static barrier when an F-350 with 2-3 times the mass rams into you and rides up into the passenger cage.

Actually it does, that's kind of the point of the static barrier test, which is the same as hitting a truck of infinite mass. As long as the F-350 has regulation bumper height, and you don't get wedged between two coming from opposite directions, your Civic just bounces off.

E: Not to mention this whole F-150 thing shows the coming truck trend is towards lower mass, regardless of how silly they look.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Clearly what the Ariel Atom needs is a lighter and more powerful engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

That's a pretty slippery slope. I'm sure someone believes the same of sports cars, and cars over X horsepower. Before you know it, it takes 20 years and 15 drivers tests to work your way out of the sub-2000lb/sub-100hp ghetto all the way up to a manual transmission 300hp vehicle.

I'm fairly sure we've had this exact argument in here before. I'll try to find the old post, but i'm not going through all the math again, but according to this

quote:

• Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only two provinces that have more vans, SUVs and pickup trucks on the road than cars and station wagons. Specifically, Alberta has 1.46 million vans, SUVs and pickup trucks compared to 1.12 million cars and station wagons.

and according to this

quote:

Passenger cars (44.3%), mi
nivans/MPV (23.5%) and pick-up trucks/vans (20.4%) were the
vehicles most frequently involved in total casualty collisions.

Add to that that most fatal collisions are single vehicle, and 60% of casualty collions involve male drivers aged 16-34, you're probably more of a danger to yourself in the miata than anybody is to you.

As long as the bumeprs meet, you'll be just fine. lowered car or lifted pickup though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCelD0qr8Do

This video was also in the related videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLcNwRi1Sk

Get these dangerous rangers and smart cars off the road :argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Their strategy is to make their cars so small that they eventually disappear entirely from view, reducing eye cancer rates.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Their strategy is to make their cars so small that they eventually disappear entirely from view, reducing eye cancer rates.

The cancer won't go away until the juke is finally dead.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BraveUlysses posted:

The cancer won't go away until the juke is finally dead.

Honestly I think the Juke is still better looking than their "normal" sedans like the Versa/Altima/whatever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I can't get past two things:

the fact it looks like a lovely econobox with a lift kit

and the headlights on the front bumper being separated from the what is this a loving turnsignal on the hood

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I guess Im weird as I kinda like the look of the Nismo Juke.
I cant get too angry at any turbo vehicles available with a stick.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 28, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I do think there should be some limits on how much aftermarket lift you can get on trucks and suvs. Between the bumper going through your windshield, compromised driving dynamics and poor visibility it really doesn't seem OK to let people roll around in BigFoot.

There was a kid killed a few years back because the bumper of a lifted truck struck her in the head, and the driver never saw her due to the enormous blind spot directly under/in front of him.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Edit: This is a dumb response because it is from pages and pages ago re: local race tracks, sorry.

In south florida we have Moroso motorsports park and homestead, but I cant really afford a dedicated track car, and all the other roads are arrow straight :(

Florida is effectively one big sand bar sitting just barely above sea level, so there are no elevaton changes and as such, no reason to build fun roads.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

There are much easier ways to commit suicide.

Though few so amazingly fun.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Edit: This is a dumb response because it is from pages and pages ago re: local race tracks, sorry.

In south florida we have Moroso motorsports park and homestead, but I cant really afford a dedicated track car, and all the other roads are arrow straight :(

Florida is effectively one big sand bar sitting just barely above sea level, so there are no elevaton changes and as such, no reason to build fun roads.

Sebring isn't too far.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Got denied a test drive today at the local Fiat dealership. They wouldn't let my wife and I test drive the Abarth they had on their lot. He claimed that they don't allow test drives of performance cars because then they'd have to deal with "bald tires". We laughed (and kinda scoffed) and walked off the lot on principle. I get the idea of trying to deny joy riders or young kids or something, but a married couple that pulls up in a Golf R? If I wasn't allowed to test drive the R that the local VW dealership had I wouldn't have bought one, and it was done with no drama, no questions. Like hell I'm going to sign any papers before I depress an accelerator pedal.

I've been trying to convince my wife to take my R and then maybe I can replace that with a Volvo v60 Polestar. She insists on having a stick shift and wants a hatch or wagon so there really aren't many options. The Volvo dealership has two V60s on the way, so I can at least see if the general style and shape of them is something I'm interested in since there are no 3 pedal V60s, the Polestar included. That and Volvo plans on selling less than 5k of their v60s which means there are going to be like, less than 10 Polestars (if that) in the United States ever so I won't get to test drive one probably.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Got denied a test drive today at the local Fiat dealership. They wouldn't let my wife and I test drive the Abarth they had on their lot. He claimed that they don't allow test drives of performance cars because then they'd have to deal with "bald tires".

I guess they'd rather deal with "no sales."

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've heard that was going on a lot with the FRS and BRZ when they first came around. At least in that case they KNEW they were going to sell well regardless, but it's still a stupid policy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think I've said before, this is exactly what got my dad buying BMWs nearly thirty years ago. He went to Vauxhall, and they wouldn't even let him talk about a test drive until they got to ask all their inane questions. Walked out, went across the road to BMW - Yes, sir, small saloon? 3-series, of course. Test drive? Certainly, here are the keys to the 325i on the end of that row, bring it back in an hour or so.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

I guess they'd rather deal with "no sales."

Didn't they completely sell out of 2013's alotment by mid-year?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I've heard that was going on a lot with the FRS and BRZ when they first came around. At least in that case they KNEW they were going to sell well regardless, but it's still a stupid policy.

From what I understand from Subaru dealers it's no longer selling well. I haven't been back to either Subaru dealer because of how I was treated last time I was looking for test drives - their loss.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

E: Not to mention this whole F-150 thing shows the coming truck trend is towards lower mass, regardless of how silly they look.

the final evolution of the american light truck is a zeppelin

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Giblet Plus! posted:

Ironic, as the drivers slowly turn into blimps

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

From what I understand from Subaru dealers it's no longer selling well. I haven't been back to either Subaru dealer because of how I was treated last time I was looking for test drives - their loss.
Strange, since I've noticed a few around town lately and they are so drat pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Giblet Plus! posted:

They're getting close. Saw a Silverado 2500 crew cab at the store today. It was as far forward in the space as it could be without hanging out in the aisle and still stuck about 2 feet into the space behind it. That's just ridiculous.