Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Kind of interesting to me that they would even be so aggressive in combating the bots anyway. People who bot are still paying membership fees. Was there any real reason beyond "cheating is bad" for going after botting?

The only other reason I ever heard had to do with the econoahahahahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Kind of interesting to me that they would even be so aggressive in combating the bots anyway. People who bot are still paying membership fees. Was there any real reason beyond "cheating is bad" for going after botting?

I remember them saying that bots are mostly paid for with stolen credit card numbers. You buy gold from a shady website, they jack your info, they use it to pay for more bots on your tab, etc etc. It winds up costing them money because they both have to refund the the money for those accounts and they have to pay people to deal with refunding that and blah blah blah.

Even if they're down to 70k subs, that's what, something like five million bucks a month? 60 mil a year in revenue (just from Runescape) is nothing to sneeze at :shrug:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Soulhunter posted:

As someone who spends a lot of time on both the RS3 and 2007 servers, the major complaints tend to revolve around the new interface and (unpolled, generally unwanted) combat overhaul. Prepare for :words:.

As an old RS player I was completely baffled by the new combat. It's so unintuitive, and complicates an already clunky game. If I wanted a WoW style game I would have played it instead. Didn't know there were 2007 servers around. Might have to try that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Soulhunter posted:

As someone who spends a lot of time on both the RS3 and 2007 servers, the major complaints tend to revolve around the new interface and (unpolled, generally unwanted) combat overhaul. Prepare for :words:.

Major issues with the new interface:
Unintuitive, lots of options hidden under sub-sections or unrelated tabs. Tabs within tabs within tabs. Cosmetic store tabs hidden in weird places (pets are next to your stats tab, split completely from the other Solomon's store tabs), lots of unlabeled buttons that you have to experiment with to figure out. The notes tab is hidden behind several other menus, the list goes on. Many options are put in obscure places, basically.

Combat issues:
RuneScape has never been a game that requires a lot of player input for combat, or anything else in the game. It's largely a grindfest where you click and wait for things to happen (ex: Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, Divination and so on). The new combat system introduced a combat bar similar to that of WoW, and requires lots of active input to deliver maximum DPS. Most players seemed okay with this, because Jagex promised a Momentum skill that would provide the more AFK combat style players were accustomed to. As it turns out, Momentum wastes tons of ammo and is completely useless for most combat situations. If you're aiming for efficiency, prepare to mash the 1-9 keys thousands of times over. Furthermore, there's little diversity in the skills you place on the hotbar for any given situation. Ranged and magic setups basically have one set of hotbar choices each.

The weapon/armour stats were totally overhauled with the changes to the combat system as well, creating strictly defined hybrid, "all", melee, ranged, and magic armour types. The "hybrid" type of armour effects your overall block rating differently from the "all" type, for no apparent reason. Otherwise, the system is fairly clear: Mage>Melee>Range>Mage. Additionally, armour/weapons were split into tiers, and combat stats were made fairly irrelevant outside of flat requirements for equipping items (i.e. your max hit would increase in an obvious way if you raised your strength level in the past, now its almost entirely tied to the weapon you use).

All of the weapon/armor stat overhauls ended up making lower-level armour and weapons useless to those who were at a higher level, where previously some lower-tiered weapons could be useful to a high-level player (Dragon dagger specials for pvp/enhanced excalibur for PvM, etc.). Now, its almost required to have weapons of T80+ to efficiently do anything, especially bossing, where one could get by with lower-tiered weapons pre-EoC.

Overall, I enjoy both the classic servers and the live game, but I think the EoC update was a huge mistake for Jagex. The overall players online has dropped sharply, falling almost immediately upon the release of the interface and combat overhaul from 120,000 players online at peak times down to ~70,000 at best (With that 70,000 including players on the 2007 servers in the total, of which there are typically 10-20k online). Many, many players on the RuneScape forums have expressed a desire for Jagex to scrap the EoC changes entirely in favor of the old system, but the damage has been done already through lost memberships.

Updates not involving the Squeal of Fortune or Solomon's store have really become lacking in quantity and quality (How many quests have we gotten in the past year?), and really failed to involve the players in shaping the game. Compare this to the last year of updates on the 2007 RuneScape servers, where a skeleton crew of developers has stabilized (and grown!) their user base by taking ideas for future content from the community and running monthly polls on what updates the players would like to see.

I truly believe that if Jagex advertised the 2007 servers on the front page of their site alongside the RS3 servers, and implemented F2P servers for the older game, you would see an equal amount of users on each game. It's incredible to me that a seven year old version of RuneScape accounts for 30-40% of online users at any given time as it is, while charging the same monthly fee for membership, and speaks to the quality of the development team and community.

tl;dr: Confusing interfaces, button-mashy combat that doesn't fit the generally AFK nature of the game, and a lack of quests and content not consisting of "Buy More Spins!" or "Click this for an hour to gain 50k bonus xp in a skill of your choice" events.

Essentially, this is why the new button-mashing combat doesn't really fit RuneScape. Combat bars are for games you actively play. RuneScape is the window you have open while you watch Netflix/study.

So I have some beefs with this. Your complaint of Momentum using too much ammo is, frankly, a bunch of crap. Momentum uses the same amount of ammo as pre-EOC combat did, and EOC lowered ammo costs dramatically (particularly for Magic, which has gone from having Surge spells cost 1.5k+ a cast to anywhere from free to ~150 a cast, without any corresponding cut in XP rates). I have happily used Momentum for ages because I'm lazy and would rather watch Netflix than mash buttons.

EOC and the corresponding flailing button inputs for maximum efficiency are the combat version of poo poo like power chopping trees on Ape Atoll or training Thieving on those desert dudes you can rob twice if you're really fast. It's high APM stuff that comes with a corresponding reward. I don't partake because I enjoy not having carpal tunnel, but the fact that there is an option, that you can choose to skip on, that lets you get more poo poo done faster at a cost of increased effort does not harm you in any way. They're adding Revolution in the next combat update, which will use basics for you (it mashes them in order of your bar from left to right, always prioritizing skills to the left that are off cooldown - so if you put your 3s cd filler spam on 1, it will hammer that every other move because that's how long it takes to cool) and gets you all the benefits of buttonspam without any of the wrist pain - you just need to pop thresholds and ultimates if you want, but those don't really do much to impact your ammo use, and you can just hit them whenever you have to click to hit a new enemy.

Also, I think you're rose tinted goggling the old updates - this game's updates have always been 90% poo poo. Regarding the drop in subs, a huge chunk of that is the current lack of bots. I don't have a source (and if anyone has one off hand I would appreciate it greatly) but word around the Goon water cooler is that the massive bot bans killed off closed to 40% of the accounts in the game, which would be most of that drop from 120k to 70k.

The UI changes I will give you, because the game's UI is definitely buggy and unintuitive in how it's organized. I like that I can customize poo poo now, but their option tabs are completely abysmal, and they need to compress all of the ability tabs into one goddamned tab, I have too many ability window hotkeys and it drives me nuts. Also, let me open my loving windows during combat. Or at least toggle the ability to, the fact that aggressive mobs knock me out of whatever I'm doing because OH NO THIS LEVEL 140 PISSANT IS NIBBLING AT MY ANKLE drives me crazy. Yes game, I can see that he's poking me. I can also see that my auto-retaliate Momentum fighting is demolishing him in four seconds flat.

The big thing in all this that I have a problem with are your EOC complaints. Old updates vs new is all opinion, but how the gently caress do you hate EOC? Ammo costs were loving out of control pre-EOC, and Momentum is similar damage to pre-EOC combat. Those changes alone completely justify the existence of Momentum - Magic went from by far the most heinous combat style to train to actually being the cheapest, without making the other two more expensive (they actually both also became cheaper to train). Who cares if some sperglord can demolish his ability to enjoy his fine motor skills in exchange for faster XP, just throw on Momentum, watch Netflix, and enjoy good hand health.

Also, I happily use level 75 gear on a character with maxed melee and magic stats (and 98 ranged). I still hit like an absolute truck and shred most enemies in two or three swings :shrug: I guess I'll just hit like a freight train if I upgrade gear.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 27, 2014

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Honestly my biggest complaint with the EoC is that the introduction of Regenerate and Rejuvenate have really made combat too easy, like every Quest boss before EoC is a complete joke at this point, and pretty much every Slayer assignment can pretty much be done with no food just by using Regenerate every now and again.

And definitely rose-tinting the updates, I remember the days were every month would give us a terrible minigame that was dead within a week and included maybe one good reward behind a massive wall of bullshit boringness. :allears:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I don't hate EoC, I still play both versions of the game. I definitely prefer the old combat system to the new one though just because of its AFK-ability.

Revolution looks great right now on the combat beta, and I hope it brings some players back to the game. Even if we make the huge assumption the ALL of the dropped memberships were bots, a good portion of botters maintained main accounts as well, still contributing to the community in some fashion.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Some dumb idiot posted:

Honestly my biggest complaint with the EoC is that the introduction of Regenerate and Rejuvenate have really made combat too easy, like every Quest boss before EoC is a complete joke at this point, and pretty much every Slayer assignment can pretty much be done with no food just by using Regenerate every now and again.

And definitely rose-tinting the updates, I remember the days were every month would give us a terrible minigame that was dead within a week and included maybe one good reward behind a massive wall of bullshit boringness. :allears:

I wil wait for eons to get a single good skill like Dungeoneering, if it means that another Hun-literally took 6 weeks to make-ter never appears.

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/holy-moley---giant-mole-update
New update while I was typing all of that, too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Soulhunter posted:

I don't hate EoC, I still play both versions of the game. I definitely prefer the old combat system to the new one though just because of its AFK-ability.

Revolution looks great right now on the combat beta, and I hope it brings some players back to the game. Even if we make the huge assumption the ALL of the dropped memberships were bots, a good portion of botters maintained main accounts as well, still contributing to the community in some fashion.

Oh, okay. You sounded kinda like a pubbie for a second :haw: My bad!

I don't think ALL of the dropped subs were bots, but I assume at least a fair chunk of them are - in most bottable places I saw, I remember seeing more bots than players. I'm trying to find hard numbers somewhere and I can't though :( A lot of it depends on the timing - if the whole drop is in huge chunks over a month or two, I think that'd be mostly bots, but if it's a slow, more organic bleedoff, then I'm definitely wrong.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Magres posted:

Oh, okay. You sounded kinda like a pubbie for a second

:stare: Stop saying hurtful things tia.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I never did Giant Mole but that potion seems pretty useful. Will probably have to give it a shot.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
"You last logged in 282 days ago"

Oh dear god here we go again

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

nescience posted:

There is no escape :getin:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

nescience posted:

One of us. One of us. :unsmigghh:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Magres posted:

A lot of it depends on the timing - if the whole drop is in huge chunks over a month or two, I think that'd be mostly bots, but if it's a slow, more organic bleedoff, then I'm definitely wrong.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any real multi-year data on average online users, but a couple sites have been tracking peaks/averages for the last year. A quick google search brought up http://www.misplaceditems.com/2007online.php which goes back to March 2013.

I looked over the updates for the past few years as well, just to see exactly how many quests we've had each year. I'm missing three quests from the total count, but from what I gathered, 2001-2007 saw ~125 quests released, with 2005 topping the years with 29 quests launched.

From 2008-2014 (so far), we've had almost half as many quests launched, totaling up to ~74 new quests, 11 of which were reworks of old quests, two of which were later removed/deleted (tutorial quests). 2013 was the low point, seeing only six new quests, two of which were reworked old quests.

I was going to add up how many updates were content/tech fixes versus SoF/Solomon's store updates but :effort:.

E: Quest release dates can be found at http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_quest_release_dates and a massive (though incomplete in some places) list of updates can be found at http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Update:Game_updates if anyone else wants to sperg about content releases.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 28, 2014

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Well, does this meet your rigorous cleaning standards, Pizza Lady?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Moddington posted:

Well, does this meet your rigorous cleaning standards, Pizza Lady?

If you have to ask, the answer is always no.

I think you can get all the exp in those pendants as bonus exp and they become cosmetic. Also, you can get them from Diango at any time. That would give you a fair amount of space too unless it's a mem-nonmem thing.

Disclaimer: I am not nor have I ever been Pizza Lady. Just wanted to point out what I saw.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Soulhunter posted:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any real multi-year data on average online users, but a couple sites have been tracking peaks/averages for the last year. A quick google search brought up http://www.misplaceditems.com/2007online.php which goes back to March 2013.

I looked over the updates for the past few years as well, just to see exactly how many quests we've had each year. I'm missing three quests from the total count, but from what I gathered, 2001-2007 saw ~125 quests released, with 2005 topping the years with 29 quests launched.

From 2008-2014 (so far), we've had almost half as many quests launched, totaling up to ~74 new quests, 11 of which were reworks of old quests, two of which were later removed/deleted (tutorial quests). 2013 was the low point, seeing only six new quests, two of which were reworked old quests.

I was going to add up how many updates were content/tech fixes versus SoF/Solomon's store updates but :effort:.

E: Quest release dates can be found at http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_quest_release_dates and a massive (though incomplete in some places) list of updates can be found at http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Update:Game_updates if anyone else wants to sperg about content releases.

They said this in one of their what to expect in 2014 things but the main reason there were so many quests released back then was basically because a large amount of them were basically just "Talk to man, go run to bank to grab five planks, go talk to other man, go to bank to pick up ten ropes, a toilet plunger, a left handed screwdriver and five half wines, clear obstacle with fifty spades, fight boss." that didn't really need that much asset work done, especially considering back then everyone looked like a lego man and had five frames of animation at best.

Not to mention new quests generally getting voice acting and fancy graphics and poo poo, like Death of Chivalry having two large rear end new areas that have no use outside the quest.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, what little new content I've seen as a filthy f2p is a lot more involved than the old stuff and there's all the voice acting, modeling, cutscene stuff, it's a lot more effort per quest. I'd be happy with a little of that over a ton of Cook's Assistants.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Stolen Hearts for example is hands down the best quest they ever made.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LemonyTang posted:

Stolen Hearts involves a segment that is basically what Agility and Thieving should have been.

(both of which they can still salvage by having the next quest in Morytania open up Meiyerditch as a giant parkour and thieving minigame with goodfantastic XP for both of those awful skills)

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Magres posted:

There is no escape :getin:

just rebought membership... currently hacking trees to see what my Kingdom has given me in the past almost-a-year. What timezone/times do you guys play on?

edit: don't know what I was thinking making them collect wood and coal, wtf.

nescience fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 28, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

LemonyTang posted:

This. I was completely blown away by the quality of their recent quests. The one black mark I could find on stolen hearts was the fact that the puzzle was completely broken to the point it was a two-minute-per-guess guessing game with an 88% chance of failure. Besides that? Perfect.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This. I was completely blown away by the quality of their recent quests. The one black mark I could find on stolen hearts was the fact that the puzzle was completely broken to the point it was a two-minute-per-guess guessing game with an 88% chance of failure. Besides that? Perfect.

I think they've been making quests too long. See; every rework quest ever. One thing is doing three obscure tasks to get three keys to get a sword to kill a demon, another is watching endless cutscenes and doing 2 easy puzzles, kill a gimmicky and badly scaled boss and here's a 250 exp lamp, don't spoil yourself.

While Guthix Sleeps was the peak quest, it had both puzzles, give X to Y and cutscenes, without any of it feeling dumb and forced.

Ratcatchers is what happens when you go too far with gameplay. No story, 4 horrible puzzles that takes forever and can be become unbeatable.

Salt in the Wound is what happens when you go too far into the Storytelling area. Endless words about a kid who's now a man, a knight we never met before and a H.P. Lovecraft guy, forced DG segment, the part where you control 3 players at once and that loving pillar. :rant:

Basically, good quests are hard to make and bad quests are easy to make by accident. Terrible quests are mocked less than a year after their release.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I want to echo the recommendation from the last thread for Relaxed Dungeoneering, since I've been hearing a bunch of rumblings of various Goons being unhappy that we frequently can't get floors together.

You have to jump through some very minor hoops to join (you have to post once on the forums, their app form takes like 30 words or less to fill out, then run floors with someone ranked, of whom there are many, then just run floors with people and ask them to tell the ranks you're a decent person - the hoops are 90% running floors, which you want to do anyway), they're pretty decent as far as pubbies go (I have yet to see any of them mention lotion, or in general be creeps at all), and it makes getting floors together very easy. I can usually pop my head in, ask for a floor, and be rolling in under ten minutes with a full group.

The biggest annoyance I have had with them is that they get miffed if you swear in the FC. Other than that, they do floors quickly but don't freak the gently caress out if you can't do an 8 minute large (~20 has been my experience thus far, which is fine by me) and honestly, they make dungeoneering fun. They divvy things up into roles, so you will always have a person who voluntarily (no one gets pressganged into skilling as far as I have ever seen) dedicates themselves to making your floor awesome - I have yet to have a floor where we didn't wind up with combat+skillboost potions and/or high level summoning pouches waiting for us in base, as well as lots of food. Also, there will be someone who keeps track of the floor and helps give the group direction, so you can just zone out and punch mans. It's great.

Edit: Would any of our pro farmers mind doing a writeup of "grab this stuff then click these buttons for a good farm rotation?" I'd appreciate it immensely, I need to get my farming up and I hate it because I can never remember where the patches are or how to get there effectively.

Magres fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 28, 2014

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
^^^^^ I'll do a cool farming guide with pictures in a bit! :) ^^^^^

Content:

This is why I hate our homeworld.

I channel the dungeoneering spirit of Jorts (also why I hate our homeworld again)

Changed my vote specifically for this :unsmigghh:

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
Some of y'all wanted to see my favorite birthday present, so here it is, the raddest jacket.

http://imgur.com/a/ivmJF

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Disco Dickdog posted:

Some of y'all wanted to see my favorite birthday present, so here it is, the raddest jacket.

http://imgur.com/a/ivmJF

After seeing it I think my patriotism just doubled.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
So despite the fact that my name is Pizza Lady in game, Farming actually happens to be my favorite skill. It's also my second highest after Cooking, and if I get any other skill to 99, it'll be Farming and/or Magic. The rest can :fuckoff:. With that I present to you

:nyan::rory:Pizza Lady's Supreme Farming Lovers Farming Guide:rory::nyan: (with pictures!)

(Supplimentary guide on what to plant found Here)

:sparkles:What you will need for best results:sparkles:
Explorer's Ring 3 or higher (quick access to Falador patch)
Ardougne Cloak (quick access to a bush patch and Ardougne farm patch with 3 or 4)
Ectophial (quick access to Morytania patch)
Magic Secateurs (get more yields from allotment and herb patches)
Falador Shield 2 or higher (boost Farming xp by 10% for the Falador patch)
Scroll of Life (Chance to obtain extra seeds from harvests)
Scroll of Cleansing (Chance to obtain extra herbs from potion making)
● 4 herb seeds of your choice
● 24 allotment seeds of your choice
4 white lilies in your flower patches (Protects allotment patches from disease)
Morchella mushroom seeds (With Morytania medium tasks done)
Fruit tree seeds
Tree seeds
Bush seeds
● Items to protect tree and bush patches
Supercompost (Protects patches somewhat and allows higher yields)
Impling jars (To catch implings)
Hunter potion (To boost Hunter level by 3)
Garden pies and/or Pork pies (To boost Farming level by 3 or 5)
● Access to Fairy Rings and Spirit Trees
Spirit Tree in Brimhaven
Clan avatar with XP boost activated, Giant Ent (78 Summoning), or Wolpertinger (92 Summoning)
● Any Greenfingers aura

Don't worry if you don't have all the extras listed here, it just means you'll have to put more effort in to getting around and getting xp.

To start, here's my current farming/herblore tab:

I keep only the seeds I plan to use along with future/boostable ones. Herbs I plan to keep or use also stay around, as well as certain produce, herblore ingredients, implings, and my farming run equipment. Things I rarely ever use like magic watering cans stay with the tool leprechaun, as does most of my compost.

Here is an ideal inventory for quick farming runs:

The bottom two items should be equipped, and equip the explorer ring as well if you wish, although hotkeying it is recommended if you do so. The first object, Captain's Log is only if you do Ports. You should set your inventory based on what you plan to do.

Now watch and learn through the guide with a ton of pictures!

:burger:Supercomposed Picture Guide:burger:

Start your journey by popping over to the clan citadel and grabbing an avatar for a boost. If you can't, that's fine but it makes our next destination a fairly quick trip.

We're going to head south and slightly west to Rimmington to our bush patch. Either harvest your items or plant a bush here. Note your items if you are harvesting (always note your items if possible with the tool leprechaun as you do your run until you can get to a bank)

Now we want to go to Al Kharid, where you can plant something in the cactus patch or harvest it.

This next part is optional. From here, you may choose to go north towards the mine. Harvest some coal, mithril and adamantite if you wish. You might also see a fallen meteor here.

After, you may hop into the Resource Dungeon if you have the level for it (75) and collect some implings and gems if you so desire.

Teleport to Taverly lodestone, go south to the bank and deposit your collectings, then head east to check or plant a tree.

From there, I recommend you head north to the Herblore stall to get your daily fixings of water vials, limpwurt roots, white berries, and unicorn horn dust. They're super cheap, good profit and you can get 5 of each of the ingredients every day. Bank at the Burthorpe chest.

Teleport to Lumbridge and go directly north to the tree patch here.

While in Lumbridge, if you've done Recipe for Disaster, you can also stop by the basement and collect some food to sell or green apples if you are doing Willow trees.

You may also do the patch in Falador if you have a magic tree seed, to complete two Falador tasks.

Now we want to teleport to Varrock Lodestone and use the bush near it. Go west along the path then south. Sometimes you will also see a fallen meteor along the way.

Now head north into Varrock all the way to the castle to plant a tree or check its health.

Go west towards the Grand Exchange, use the bank if you need to, then use the Spirit Tree to teleport.

Use the teleport to get to Brimhaven, then run west to do as you wish with the Fruit Tree patch. Run back to the Spirit Tree and teleport to Tree Gnome Stronghold.

Directly east of the tree is another Fruit Patch tree.

Northwest of the tree is another regular tree patch.

Here is another optional endeavor. Go into the Grand Tree, go upstairs. Trade with Heckel Funch (far east side) and Hudo (northwest).

What we're after are the dwellberries. They sell for a good price and you can get 20 of them at once. I sold over 2k of mine for about 734 gp each but they since went up in price. :argh: You can also buy the Vodka from Heckel and resell it for about 1k each, but it sells really slowly. Bank near Hudo then teleport to Canafis. Head southwest along the path, then go west to the mushroom patch.

This is why I keep a hunter potion on me and impling jars. My level is only 86 right now and Zombies are 87. If I run into one while doing a run, I can easily catch it without having to run back to a bank.

Plant your bittercap or (preferably) Morchella mushrooms here. If you have Mortyania tasks medium done, they will be protected from disease.

This part is optional. If you have your Miscellenia kingdom, use the fairy ring directly west of the mushroom patch to quickly go to your kingdom for maintenence.

Now we're getting to the meat of the run! Cabbage teleport with your Explorer's ring, and do with your allotments and patches as you wish. Currently, I'm doing Fly Traps in this patch by boosting my level with a garden pie. Boosts are fickle and will sometimes immediately drop a level because :jagex:. A trick to keep a boost long lasting is to immediately exit to lobby upon getting one, then entering back in. This will reset the amount of time a boost stays before dropping a level, thus allowing you potentially infinite time with a boost as long as you lobby out about every minute or so (I have no idea how long a boost lasts before dropping).

Use your ectophial, then head west until you reach the next patch.

Now we want to go to Catherby, where we head east (not west!) until we reach your tree patch here and harvest our goods. Once you do, head west to the bank.

You can speed up these runs a bit by using Surge. I tend to use it when there's a straight path near me, and a hotspot because clicking the hotspot seems to allow you to get out of standing like an idiot quicker than if you just rapidly click to walk somewhere.

Once you've banked, go north to the Catherby patch.

Our final destination is the Ardounge patch, which is north of the lodestone then east. If you have a Greenfingers aura, now may be the best time to activate it (supposedly there's a bug that actually makes you harvest items as if they were regular compost, instead of supercompost when it's on) because the herbs are what you want to protect most.

A quick 104k!

And that should be it! I don't actually do all of this anymore, I do my gathering once or twice a day then do my herbs, allotments and mushrooms, but I still get around 20k Farming xp a run without trees and a lot of money. You don't have to follow this guide exactly, and feel free to adjust it according to your needs (or laziness). Let me know if there's anything I can add to it, and maybe it'll be a good post to add to the OP even? :shobon:

:btroll:Extras:btroll:

If you have tiny elf crystals, you can use it to teleport to the elf town (Iifeya or whatever) and work with an extra fruit tree. There is also one outside the Gnome Maze, but I haven't gotten to that one yet (you also need to plant a papaya or coconut tree there for a task).

Dwarf posted:

Ew, why take the avatar? Grab a wolper for double berries or an ent for double fruit (also, plant and harvest papayas for 200-300k a day).

The Wolpertinger is a level 92 Summoning familiar but my Summoning is nowhere near that high. :suicide:

The Giant Ent is a level 78 Summoning familiar... still too high for me! But for anyone who has a high Summoning level, these are good alternatives to a clan avatar.

Magres posted:

Edit: I hope you don't mind if I suggest tweaks to your farming run: You can use the Ardougne Cape to portal to the Monastery right next to the Bush Patch there. It'll let you add another Bush patch to your rotation for like thirty seconds of work :buddy:

Ardougne Cloak even has a warp to the main Ardougne patch, but only once per day until you've done the elite tasks iirc. The bush patch warp is infinite though!

Thanks again for writing up that guide, you have resparked my interest in farming

:unsmith:

Magres posted:

E: Super barebones Farming run checklist - bushes, allotments, herbs, and mushrooms only - this is meant to go alongside Themata's and be something to use when you're not doing your daily extended run that includes trees and shops

Requirements for this that I can think of:
Lumb/Draynor Medium tasks, Ardougne Hard (Elite is bettter) tasks, Falador Hard tasks, whatever quests give you the Ectophial and Magic Secateurs, and My Arm's Big Adventure done (gives you a no-disease herb patch)
Enough stats to cast Trollheim Teleport
Morytania Medium (Hard?) tasks will keep your mushrooms from ever dying
Ability to cast Trollheim Teleport
Ability to use Fairy Rings without dramen/lunar staff (grab one of them from your bank in step 1 if you're a scrub and need the thing)

1) Go to bank, grab 24 allotment seeds, 5 herb seeds, 4 bush seeds, one morcella mushroom seed, ardougne cloak 3+, explorer's ring 3+, Falador Shield 3+, Magic Secateurs, Ectophial, two Law Runes, and two Fire Runes
2) Warp to Trollheim, we're doing that herb patch first to free up the inv slots from the runes. Skip to step 4 if you haven't done the quest (I don't blame you it's a dumb quest line)
3) Go West, Pay Troll Toll, Enter Boy's Hole aka Troll Stronghold. Go South, then West through the door, then North to the ladder. Climb up, enjoy disease free herb patch. Supercompost recommended still, it increases herb output and is easy as gently caress to make (use pineapples, they're dirt cheap). Plant your most expensive herb seeds here (Lantadyme)
4) Lodestone to Canifis, run Southwest to Mushroom patch. Harvest mushrooms, replant. Step into fairy ring.
5) Warp to CIP, it's your kingdom.
6) Run East, chop a bit of wood to keep your approval topped out, run East some more to the Bush Patch on the eastern island. Harvest, clear, replant.
7) Lodestone to Port Sarim, run West to Rimmington bush patch. Harvest, clear, replant.
8) Lodestone to Varrock, run West and South a little to the bush patch. Harvest, clear, replant.
9) Pop the Kandarin Monastery teleport on your Ardougne Cape. If you don't have the cape, just skip this step because the bush patch sucks to get to without it and isn't worth the time and effort. Go to step 11
10) Step outside to your bush patch. Harvest, clear, replant.
11) Cabbageport! BRASSICA PRIME PROTECTS AND GUIDES THE IMPERIUM OF CABBAGEKIND! CABBAGE MARINES! FARM THE ALLOTMENT PATCH! FOR THE EMPEROR! (I love WH40K fluff even if I don't play it)
12) Lodestone to Ardougne or pop your cape teleport to get there faster if you're not a scrub. Do your thing. Patch is northeast of Lodestone if you don't already know
13) Ectophial, go west to patch. Do what you do. Swear profusely because your Lantadymes are dead because Morytania is a shithole :mad:
14) Lodestone to Catherby, go South to the bank, grab 15 pineapples. Drop noted stuff off to make room for fruit+buckets.
15) Go to patch, empty compost bin and refill it with pineapples, shut bin to start compost. Harvest and replant patches.
16, optional) Go to bank, drop your poo poo off, grab a fruit tree, go east, harvest clear replant.

In general, if at any point you realize you're low on supercompost, just lodestone to Lunar Isle, drop off all your noted crap to make room, and grab pineapples before your next allotment patch, Morytania excepting because, again, Morytania is a shithole and doesn't have a bin. The other three have compost buckets. I always make supercompost at Catherby because it's the most convenient, and one batch is enough to cover one run.

Regarding flower patches - do the Falador Hard tasks, plant White Lillies in your flower patches, and never look back. Snape Grass is the only flower worth any decent XP and is expensive as hell because of it, you're better off with White Lillies protecting your allotments. Also it makes supercompost numbers line up neatly if you've done My Arm's Big Adventure - one run, one bin.

Themata fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

OP this because leveling farming sucks and anything to take the :effort: out of it is good reading.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Ew, why take the avatar? Grab a wolper for double berries or an ent for double fruit (also, plant and harvest papayas for 200-300k a day).

allta
Mar 28, 2011
So I've had an idea of sorts floating around for a bit now. It would be a clan bank of sorts but a very unofficial one. One of us would create and account and then fill that account with random stuff that we have no use for but that someone else may be able to use.

Access to it would only be given from person to person and never posted in the thread, to either new or trusted members. There would have to be a limit to what you could take out, or at the very least some assurance you wont just take everything and log off.

In the long run this could replace the clan fund, IE you contributed to the citadel, have x value worth of goods out of the clan bank. There would also need to be an incentive to put stuff in, possible a highscores table or something like that that we've done in the past.

Just a thought, what do you guys think?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
We'd have to pay for the extra membership, something I'm currently not super-willing to do. I think it's a bit convoluted, to be frank; to get cit pay, all you have to do is post in the thread or straight-up ask me in-game. As-is, lots of people get gear kits from generous goons.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBa0WIUjuYU
I made this to show you how quickly you can get all 20 skills for the new Supreme Jack of Trades. I grabbed an impling at the last minute cause it was there, but I was going to otherwise do the agility course.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Spergminer posted:

I think they've been making quests too long. See; every rework quest ever. One thing is doing three obscure tasks to get three keys to get a sword to kill a demon, another is watching endless cutscenes and doing 2 easy puzzles, kill a gimmicky and badly scaled boss and here's a 250 exp lamp, don't spoil yourself.

While Guthix Sleeps was the peak quest, it had both puzzles, give X to Y and cutscenes, without any of it feeling dumb and forced.

Ratcatchers is what happens when you go too far with gameplay. No story, 4 horrible puzzles that takes forever and can be become unbeatable.

Salt in the Wound is what happens when you go too far into the Storytelling area. Endless words about a kid who's now a man, a knight we never met before and a H.P. Lovecraft guy, forced DG segment, the part where you control 3 players at once and that loving pillar. :rant:

Basically, good quests are hard to make and bad quests are easy to make by accident. Terrible quests are mocked less than a year after their release.
I think I remember reading the guy who wrote Salt in the Wound was basically "Yeah, I realize it was terrible. I'd rewrite it, but priorities are on older quests." Or something like that.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
So I cleaned The Jorts's bank today, but he also had me do two other tasks.

First task was to spin for him:

Sorry buddy :(

And for shock(!) value, here is his bank before and after side by side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFdyLj93HtE

He also had me check his bank value.

With the gold in his money pouch, the value of what he can sell is 136,026,810 gp. This doesn't account for all the chaotics, supreme Ports armours (34,110,661), Drygore Longsword (104,407,034 gp), and whatever else refuses to go into the GE for a price estimate. It'd account for millions more though if it could be calculated.
He also had some weird purchases in his GE and inventory:

Safety, let me clean your bank. :mad: I want to use the Vorago boss theme when I do yours.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kgummy posted:

I think I remember reading the guy who wrote Salt in the Wound was basically "Yeah, I realize it was terrible. I'd rewrite it, but priorities are on older quests." Or something like that.

I'm pretty sure he got fired because of that quest, but rs wiki deleted the article about him (Mod Trick).

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Added Themata's excellent guide and video to the OP, please never stop being rad

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
Bonus XP or Double Drops weekend coming up

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/gameblast-2014---double-drops-or-double-xp

It will be polled. Jagex going to be doing a load of charity stuff that weekend.

So the question is, what do I buy?

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Is there an option to change the scale of the interface that im missing? The fullscreen resolution selection probably does what I want but is members only. Dragging the chat box gives it a bigger area but not bigger text, the action bar changes its configured direction but not its size ect. I'm running on a 42 inch monitor and am up pretty close but everything is so tiny its hard to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, I have 60m so I was debating buying Herblore stuff since its pretty much a guaranteed win for double xp; I need Overloads pretty sorely and feel so weak without them.

That or Summoning, which again is something I direly need but aaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Locked thread