Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Butterflies is the most efficient tech. Unless they nerfed it you can just hold up-diagonal and tap jump to get infinite boost and fly forever in every direction. Since it instantly redirects your momentum in a way Pulse Jump does all you need is a tap to launch yourself on an arc and the meager amount of energy it used will replenish before you need to tap again. It's really broken in a way that makes every other tech useless by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

Butterflies is the most efficient tech. Unless they nerfed it you can just hold up-diagonal and tap jump to get infinite boost and fly forever in every direction. Since it instantly redirects your momentum in a way Pulse Jump does all you need is a tap to launch yourself on an arc and the meager amount of energy it used will replenish before you need to tap again. It's really broken in a way that makes every other tech useless by comparison.

Good to know. Can't wait until I find it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

m.hache posted:

How good is the blink tech? I feel like being able to teleport around would have a greater benefit than any other tech.

Blink is neat but its energy costs (at least last patch, dunno if its been adjusted) is way too much to be practical.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd love a mod that would upgrade guns. Like a workbench you plunk down in your ship and depending on the type is what ore you use. Like if the damage type is laser or pulse or whatever, diamonds increase the damage or lower the energy costs. Because guns loving blow currently.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd still love to be able to call in Tactical strikes from my ship with an option to upgrade the guns. You could even take it beyond to have the option to outfit your ship for mining (As mentioned earlier, a giant boring laser).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
El Dumb Questionarino:

Some bug made my stance lame. (the "personality"). I will admit this is a dumb thing to bother over, but does anyone know where I might go to toggle it to something else?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What you don't like being a sexy pigeon toed weeaboo?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Buy them in villages, mostly
Villages sell recipes now? :monocle: Awesome.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Has anyone made a growth ray for plants? Or hydroponic lights for a rate boost would be nice. Seems like someone could get a lot of mileage out of hydroponic equipment.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Villages sell recipes now? :monocle: Awesome.

Some of them do. They did before too. Glitch villages, avian villages, and avian airships are all places I've noted vendors selling blueprints.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Feenix posted:

El Dumb Questionarino:

Some bug made my stance lame. (the "personality"). I will admit this is a dumb thing to bother over, but does anyone know where I might go to toggle it to something else?

starcheat can modify stances.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Mining is so much more satisfying when you don't need a pick and can clear out 30 tiles at a time. Are all the legendary weapons as good as the bone cannon explosion hammer thing?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Do we have a new coordinate map for this patch?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Haven't seen one yet. A few goons have been posting their finds here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blhue posted:

Some of them do. They did before too. Glitch villages, avian villages, and avian airships are all places I've noted vendors selling blueprints.
I meant food recipes specifically, which I'd never seen for sale anywhere.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think there were food recipes for sale in the avian village I found. That town was almost all shops.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or did they change the background landscapes to not look like complete poo poo, I've been staring at them and they aren't making me vomit anymore.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Blhue posted:

I think there were food recipes for sale in the avian village I found. That town was almost all shops.

Where was it?

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
After doing a fresh re-install, I'm trying to mod the matter manipulator to awesometude again, but the relevant file doesn't seem to be where it used to be (circa mid-December). My Assets folder only has Music and User folders and searching the entire starbound directory for 'beamaxe' shows no results. Is anyone else having a similar issue? Any help would be appreciated

And, to contribute, I definitely recall buying recipes from Avian quartermasters

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Splizwarf posted:

Where was it?

Dunno, this was last patch so even if I had the coords, they might not still work.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Is anyone else experiencing massive slowdown when you destroy more than a handful of blocks/terrain at a time? My character can still move around fine, but the item/block pickups slow down tremendously and the monster/NPC AI seems to also. The world also slows/stops updating new damage to blocks, making mining a pain in the rear end.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oneiros posted:

Is anyone else experiencing massive slowdown when you destroy more than a handful of blocks/terrain at a time? My character can still move around fine, but the item/block pickups slow down tremendously and the monster/NPC AI seems to also. The world also slows/stops updating new damage to blocks, making mining a pain in the rear end.

I noticed this too. It's like the monsters are lagging out but I'm fine. I let a bunch of blocks chase me around the map yesterday for a few minutes.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

m.hache posted:

I noticed this too. It's like the monsters are lagging out but I'm fine. I let a bunch of blocks chase me around the map yesterday for a few minutes.

Yeah. The items seem to register in your inventory like you've already picked them up, but their sprites will slooooooowly chase you around the entire planet. Sometimes they will suddenly rubber-band into me, though.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

I just finished playing on a planet with a pretty big Avian village with tons of vendor stalls just to the left of my landing site.

Beta Kornephoros Majoris I b
Biome: Savannah
Threat Level: 2
X: 59877349
Y: -7063468

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't they bind commonly pressed inoffensive hotkey "Inventory" to Q and bad button that serves literally no functional purpose besides Terraria also having it "Throw Held Item" to something on the other side of the keyboard that you don't press because you have a hand on the mouse.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Devour or Fire posted:

Why don't they bind commonly pressed inoffensive hotkey "Inventory" to Q and bad button that serves literally no functional purpose besides Terraria also having it "Throw Held Item" to something on the other side of the keyboard that you don't press because you have a hand on the mouse.

I do wish they'd added the key mapper or at least an editable config file with this patch.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
No seriously why would this be the default, what made them put it in and dick around with it and go "yeah that's good."

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Devour or Fire posted:

No seriously why would this be the default, what made them put it in and dick around with it and go "yeah that's good."

Q has been the "Toss Weapon" button in games for ages. Suppose it's just a default assignment.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
does everyone use the same map or is it random for different people?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

King Doom posted:

does everyone use the same map or is it random for different people?

There's only one map, but it's so big people might as well have different ones.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beta Psi-2 Ori 96 III c
TL 2
Biome Savannah
x 62663582 y -76544920

Avian tower with several great avian guns left of spawn (its a fair way).
Bubble jump is mandatory!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

m.hache posted:

Q has been the "Toss Weapon" button in games for ages. Suppose it's just a default assignment.

What reason do you have to throw a weapon or indeed andy item you put on your hotbar in this game weapon in this game. The only reasons are you want to get rid of it (you have a trash can) and you are giving it to somebody (holy poo poo move it off Q).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ewe2 posted:

starcheat can modify stances.

Thanks for the tip. So far I haven't been installing any mods (and don't really want cheats. Was hoping just to find out what file had the line where stances were determined and be able to change it. I'll keep your advice in mind, though. :)

[edit] Beta feedback in its current stage: So far my only possible tiny complaint is that I feel like you get access to Beta sector easily but are likely still soft and fleshy and possibly under-armed. Regular enemies in Beta sector (aggressive animals) are quite challenging.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
One of their patch notes is "items are persistant so now you don't have to scramble after your drill when you throw it down a pit ;)." Can they not see what is actually wrong with that.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Yah, it's one of a handful of stupid decisions they've made. I'm pretty sure it's been said that they're going to add a control config option at some point though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just bought this game because of the latest patch promising character/ship persistence.

Uh, I didn't look up any guides or whatever, but I started playing it like Terraria. I've been exploring my first home planet, beat the first UFO boss, and grinded my way to a platinum pick. Problem is, can I repair the platinum pick? A few of the ores don't say that they can repair tools.

Should I try for a drill instead? Should I just start leaving this planet and go exploring?

I kinda wish they had included more quests after the UFO boss one, I'm a little directionless.

EDIT: vvvvvvv I tried using copper ore and it doesn't repair non-copper tools. Same with iron ore. I think they patched that "feature" out.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 27, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

JazzFlight posted:

I just bought this game because of the latest patch promising character/ship persistence.

Uh, I didn't look up any guides or whatever, but I started playing it like Terraria. I've been exploring my first home planet, beat the first UFO boss, and grinded my way to a platinum pick. Problem is, can I repair the platinum pick? A few of the ores don't say that they can repair tools.

Should I try for a drill instead? Should I just start leaving this planet and go exploring?

I kinda wish they had included more quests after the UFO boss one, I'm a little directionless.

All in due time. This really is just the core gameplay, things will get straightened out and more features will be added.

Anyhow, copper ore repairs every tool. I think the copper drill and silver are kind of lovely compared to the later pickaxes, but they catch up quick. No idea how you can craft a drill though, if you haven't been out exploring?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Copper still works, I've used it every time I've repaired my platinum pick so far. Grab copper ore, right click on tool. It repairs by small increments so you might not have noticed the bar move.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

JazzFlight posted:

EDIT: vvvvvvv I tried using copper ore and it doesn't repair non-copper tools. Same with iron ore. I think they patched that "feature" out.

It would make sense, that was kind of wonky anyway. You just grab the ore with your cursor, hold it over the pickaxe and right click to repair.

Advancement at present is done by crafting or finding weapons, armor, and tech. Each tier of upgrades through the first 5 is unlocked by using a starmap. Starmaps are crafted from a boss drop. Then you use the starmap and unlocks a new sector to explore with tougher enemies, better drops, and the crafting materials you'll need for the next tier of items and to craft the next boss summoner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Making Q cycle through equipped techs instead of throwing items would solve two of my minor gripes with the game.

• Locked thread