Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eimi posted:

To top it off my idiot relatives I put on the throne of Bulgaria failed to get a proper marriage so it's leaving my dynasty. That's what I get for not micromanaging them for one second and not giving a blood on blood marriage. God drat it.

See if you can get another marriage from someone of your dynasty to a high-ranking member of their kingdom (prince/princess, powerful duke/ducal heir, etc.) I've noticed that the chances of a succession crisis go up if the throne switches dynasties, so as long as someone of your dynasty is a claimant and has someone to back it up, there will be a war. I almost had this problem with Leon; one civil war later and it was properly Drengot again :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

monster on a stick posted:

See if you can get another marriage from someone of your dynasty to a high-ranking member of their kingdom (prince/princess, powerful duke/ducal heir, etc.) I've noticed that the chances of a succession crisis go up if the throne switches dynasties, so as long as someone of your dynasty is a claimant and has someone to back it up, there will be a war. I almost had this problem with Leon; one civil war later and it was properly Drengot again :)

Sadly the only member of my dynasty with a claim is 70 and it's a weak claim, so I don't think I can do it that way. I'll have to finaggle another marriage. It's not that I want the alliance...its that I want Von Katlenburgs on the seat of as many thrones as I can. This is an odd playthrough as I am just trying to limit myself, no Empire (so no HRE) and just owning German culture provinces. At least I can content myself with picking up Lothringia for my dynasty.

It's a weird game in general. No Hungary, it's 1060 but no Crusades, a couple Jihads. Sweeden went Catholic and then back to Norse, but the Norse faith is still unreformed.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 27, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The Empire creation conditions appear to be a little silly (mostly when an existing Emperor invades). Two particularly annoying ones I've noticed:

1. Italia. "Holds Kingdoms of Italy, Sicily and 1 additional kingdom title other than Italy and Sicily."
a. Why isn't having the King of Italy and the King of Sicily as vassals sufficient?
b. Why can't I hold Italy, Sicily, and 1 additional empire title?

2. Francia. "One kingdom title outside Francia de jure area." Again, another empire title should be enough.

In addition to the above, the wiki suggests that Abyssinia and Mali both have the same problems as Italia.

:paradox:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
^^^ Does vanilla even let you create an Empire title if you already have one?

Um. Does anyone know how de jure duchy drift works when you have an empire? I was trying to drift some duchies from Burgundy into Aquitainia because Aquitania is a much cooler primary title, but I created the Empire of Occitania (playing CK2+) because I wanted to be able to diplovassalize some duchies that had broken off of Aquitainia while it was under the incompetent rule of the French Karlings.

(speaking of Death to Karlings, I love the fact that going from Count of Provence to Emperor of Aquitaine has involved kicking the Karlings' teeth in at every turn. Attacked France during a regency to press a claim and steal half the country, then lead a civil war against the Karling Emperor to get independence, effectively cripple the HREmperor because Lorraine and Italy both split with me, watch him get overthrown in the aftermath, then spend a hundred years cockblocking France's attempts to expand in Iberia because gently caress you that's why.

Anyway, actual question: after creating the Empire I destroyed all my subsidiary kingdom titles because I'd like to drift that core territory into one de jure kingdom of Aquitania, but the De Jure Kingdoms mapmode says that the territory is being incorporated into the Empire, but the De Jure duchies mapmode doesn't say it's drifting into Aquitania. Does duchy drift genuinely not happen if you have an empire, or is it just on pause until the kingdom drifts into the empire?

I'm playing Ironman (I like having to roll with the punches when the RNG decides it hates me), or else I'd just edit the save. I should probably just not play Ironman games while there are mechanics I don't have a perfect handle on, but on a game like this one that basically means "don't play Ironman ever" because, hell, we STILL don't definitively know how some things under the hood work.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 27, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dallan Invictus posted:

^^^ Does vanilla even let you create an Empire title if you already have one?

My Emperor of Brittania, Scandinavia, Francia and Hispania says "Já."

Dallan Invictus posted:

Does duchy drift genuinely not happen if you have an empire, or is it just on pause until the kingdom drifts into the empire?

I think duchy drift won't happen unless the duchy in question is owned by a character with a kingdom title. My vassal King of Ireland did manage to drift the Duchy of Cornwall from Wales to Ireland, though, so duchy drift can still happen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am /fairly/ sure you can only dejure drift things into your highest title. So Duchies into Kingdoms and Kingdoms into Empires. I have no idea if counties can drift into duchies. So as an Emperor you can only add Kingdoms. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Any practical ways to get my character to convert religion? Turns out my son converted from Norse to Christian, and now I'm playing as him, and I'd like to switch back if possible. Can't hire a Norse adviser from what I can tell, and I have no ambitions related to that.

Playing Vanilla BTW.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eimi posted:

I am /fairly/ sure you can only dejure drift things into your highest title. So Duchies into Kingdoms and Kingdoms into Empires. I have no idea if counties can drift into duchies.

Duchies are fixed, counties don't drift in or out of them.

Eimi posted:

So as an Emperor you can only add Kingdoms. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Welp! That makes sense in retrospect, I suppose I'll just cope.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ulmont posted:

The Empire creation conditions appear to be a little silly (mostly when an existing Emperor invades). Two particularly annoying ones I've noticed:

1. Italia. "Holds Kingdoms of Italy, Sicily and 1 additional kingdom title other than Italy and Sicily."
a. Why isn't having the King of Italy and the King of Sicily as vassals sufficient?
b. Why can't I hold Italy, Sicily, and 1 additional empire title?

2. Francia. "One kingdom title outside Francia de jure area." Again, another empire title should be enough.

In addition to the above, the wiki suggests that Abyssinia and Mali both have the same problems as Italia.

:paradox:

You really should be able to create arbitrary empires as long as you hold three Kingdoms or something. Have the name be "Empire of X" where X is where the capital is located or something. I would pay for DLC where I could form the Empire of Wales with the capital in Portmeirion and kill any rebellious dukes with a weather balloon. :beseeingyou:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thanks for the replies about the Du Jure drift. Granting independence to a duke pauses but does not halt the du jure drift? I may do that.

If not, I think I am pretty much stuck letting them drift into Lithuania and then once I create the Kingdom of Ruthenia I will transfer vassalge of the duchies that drifted into Lithuania so they drift back out. But now I am wondering if creating the Wendish Empire (eventually) will gently caress that up. :v:

You really should be able to create arbitrary empires as long as you hold three Kingdoms or something. Have the name be "Empire of X" where X is where the capital is located or something. I would pay for DLC where I could form the Empire of Wales with the capital in Portmeirion and kill any rebellious dukes with a weather balloon. :beseeingyou:

Yeah I would like if I could make an Empire with the crowns of Lithuania, Rus, and Ruthenia. But nooooo I need to conquer Perm ( :gonk: ) or Poland, Pomerania, and Bohemia (getting me close to the scary Catholics and Karlings) to use Lithuania, Rus, and/or Ruthenia to make an Empire.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

I am /fairly/ sure you can only dejure drift things into your highest title. So Duchies into Kingdoms and Kingdoms into Empires. I have no idea if counties can drift into duchies. So as an Emperor you can only add Kingdoms. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Unless its something that changes in mods (CK2+), I'm definitely de-jure drifting duchies into king level persia while also holding emperor level persia. You need to actually make sure its considered to be "under" the king level title instead of just directly under the emperor level title though.

Edit: ^ Granting independence to a duke or even just a single count will have the timer go down at the same rate

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 27, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CK2+ does this (but the arbitrary empire titles are by culture instead of by capital).

reignonyourparade posted:

Unless its something that changes in mods (CK2+), I'm definitely de-jure drifting duchies into king level persia while also holding emperor level persia. You need to actually make sure its considered to be "under" the king level title instead of just directly under the emperor level title though.

I don't think mods can change this, so I guess I'll see what happens in 100 years when Aquitania drifts into the Empire and the chain's there again. Good sign though!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Eimi posted:

Counties cannot drift into duchies, those are always fixed. Everything else can de jure drift whenever, the only condition is that the whole duchy/kingdom is directly under a single title.

EDIT: beaten by a parade :toot:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Just to clarify something, since we're on the topic of de jure drift:
If I hold an empire and two kingdoms and one of my duchies de jure drifts out of a kingdom (into another kingdom under the same empire), can I de jure drift it back if I take the duchy back and hand off my second kingdom to someone? I took it back a while ago and it hasn't had any progress, so I'm assuming that's because I hold two kingdoms.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

jellycat posted:

Just to clarify something, since we're on the topic of de jure drift:
If I hold an empire and two kingdoms and one of my duchies de jure drifts out of a kingdom (into another kingdom under the same empire), can I de jure drift it back if I take the duchy back and hand off my second kingdom to someone? I took it back a while ago and it hasn't had any progress, so I'm assuming that's because I hold two kingdoms.

Open a province window of one county in that duchy. In upper right corner of that window there should be several coat of arms. One representing the county (on right, big one), one for de facto duchy it's in, and one for de facto kingdom it's in. If there is no kingdom, that means the duchy is hierarchically under your empire title, and not under kingdom title that you wish to absorb it with. Sadly, you cannot directly attach it to your kingdom title, so it's your best bet to do what you just said. Either give someone your second kingdom (this should attach it to your only kingdom left), or give someone else the duchy and kingdom you want to de jure drift it into.

Yeah, de jure drifting is a little complicated.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

and so it begins...

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Did you take a picture of your screen with a camera?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Did you take a photo of your screen with your phone? You can screenshot with f12, I think. f11 may even screen-cap the entire political map!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

nutranurse posted:

Did you take a photo of your screen with your phone? You can screenshot with f12, I think. f11 may even screen-cap the entire political map!

But can you run those through instagram filters with just a couple taps?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I just like being special :saddowns:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Ahahaha.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Edit: ^ Granting independence to a duke or even just a single count will have the timer go down at the same rate

Yeah, but I think Dallan's problem is that he destroyed his king-level titles, leaving himself without a kingdom for the duchies to de jure drift into.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

What's that blue baby icon?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jolan posted:

What's that blue baby icon?

Notice the strange color for Scotland? That is a sign that he is playing with a mod, most likely CK2+. So that blue icon represents his age.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's funny that someone decided Ireland needed even more provinces. No you don't understand, Sligo is absolutely disparate enough from Connacht that it deserves full representation on Newbie Island...!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Did they reduce the number of holdings per county at all in that map expansion? That'd be a valid way to effectively make ireland poorer and weaker, because more holdings will be under a vassal, which means the levies are filtered through an extra layer of vassal reducing things.

Would make Ireland more prestigious though since you'd have more titles and vassals, that's a funny balance interaction I hadn't spotted before.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Seoinin posted:

It's funny that someone decided Ireland needed even more provinces. No you don't understand, Sligo is absolutely disparate enough from Connacht that it deserves full representation on Newbie Island...!

The SWMH map is horrifyingly bad for a wide variety of reasons and its a drat shame CK2+ has it integrated.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I wouldn't call it horrifying. It just tickles me in the same way that dudes arguing that Serbia should be 30 provinces does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Seoinin posted:

I wouldn't call it horrifying. It just tickles me in the same way that dudes arguing that Serbia should be 30 provinces does.

I would love to have a few maps that are nothing but, say, 30 provinces worth of Serbia. In a vacuum. I like small, discrete scenarios for both strategic and framerate reasons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I might have gone beyond the borders of Germany a bit, despite not wanting to go Empire this playthrough. That's not bad right? I...I had to protect all the people of German provinces. Right? :ohdear:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would love to have a few maps that are nothing but, say, 30 provinces worth of Serbia. In a vacuum. I like small, discrete scenarios for both strategic and framerate reasons.

I would absolutely play a mod that was just Ireland. Keeps it on a large island, no boats to deal with, no outside neighbors. Basically the Sengoku mod, but on a smaller scale.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So after I went Catholic and made a bunch of dukes and kings independent, I wanted to restore the Papacy to Rome. I made an antipope thinking that would give me a claim on Rome against my former German republic, but nothing. So I just fabricated a claim on the (now) Grand City of Rome, pressed it, won, and then immediately got an event to restore the Papacy to Rome. Sure, that's exactly what I wan-

-ted?

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 28, 2014

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013
Does anyone know of a mod that expands the map into Asia?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ThirstyTurtle posted:

Well there's Umbra Spherae, but that's less "expands into Asia" and more "All of Eurasia." Also last I checked it was pretty unfinished, but that was also a while ago.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

hellsjudge posted:

So after I went Catholic and made a bunch of dukes and kings independent, I wanted to restore the Papacy to Rome. I made an antipope thinking that would give me a claim on Rome against my former German republic, but nothing. So I just fabricated a claim on the (now) Grand City of Rome, pressed it, won, and then immediately got an event to restore the Papacy to Rome. Sure, that's exactly what I wan-

-ted?

The Most Serene Republic of The Papacy

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ThirstyTurtle posted:

Not sure of any mods other than Umbra Spherae, but Rajahs will presumably have to add a large chunk of central asia.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

-ted?

I keep thinking of the neighbor from Office Space for some reason.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, but I think Dallan's problem is that he destroyed his king-level titles, leaving himself without a kingdom for the duchies to de jure drift into.

I actually destroyed all but one of the king titles because I thought that would get everything drifting into the king title I want to keep. Maybe it will! We'll see.

Rannos22 posted:

The SWMH map is horrifyingly bad for a wide variety of reasons and its a drat shame CK2+ has it integrated.

It actually doesn't, it uses a different map mod because some devs objected to SWMH (and has altered it since it response to feedback).

Did they reduce the number of holdings per county at all in that map expansion? That'd be a valid way to effectively make ireland poorer and weaker, because more holdings will be under a vassal, which means the levies are filtered through an extra layer of vassal reducing things.

They actually did, in a lot of cases. so huzzah.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Rannos22 posted:

CK2+ doesn't have the SWMH map incorporated, it has a different map mod that, while not perfect, is about a thousand times less extreme than what SWMH does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Not sure of any mods other than Umbra Spherae, but Rajahs will presumably have to add a large chunk of central asia.

catlord posted:

Well there's Umbra Spherae, but that's less "expands into Asia" and more "All of Eurasia." Also last I checked it was pretty unfinished, but that was also a while ago.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

• Locked thread