Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky posted:

Who usually gives birth? So curious (it's probably Draco).

My friend did her big final project on Supernatural. She's getting her PhD now.

I would actually be uncomfortable doing that for a Master's because people in life will ask you what your thesis topic was and the completed document is kept at your graduating university :tinfoil:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pick posted:

I actually find a lot of these phenomena really fascinating. I mean, this is literally human culture, at least some of this stuff is going to exist for future history students to gander at. Why did it happen? Where is it going? It's like seeing a Star Trek slash fanzine from the 70s and going "Oh my god, this stuff was around forty years ago" and then seeing a Tijuana bible and going "Oh my god, this stuff was around sixty years ago" and then reading Titus Andronicus and being like "Oh my god... how long has this been around?"

forever. socrates thought achilles and patrokelos were boning but it's not in the Iliad at all

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

It's like how we look back on baffling pagan rituals and barbaric feasts and go "my god! those crazy fucks of ancient times!" completely in denial of the fact that there are people today trying to summon thundercats with magic spells
look i don't criticise your faith ok

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a travelling HEGEL posted:

forever. socrates thought achilles and patrokelos were boning but it's not in the Iliad at all

it's in the subbbteexxtttt!!! :supaburn:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

look i don't criticise your faith ok

there is only one true religion, the church of street sharks

amarantinesky

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 4, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I wonder if future historians will stumble upon some lost archives of Something Awful and upon our thread and read it all curious to learn more about our lives and daily activities. Man are they in for a treat.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Al Borland posted:

I wonder if future historians will stumble upon some lost archives of Something Awful and upon our thread and read it all curious to learn more about our lives and daily activities. Man are they in for a treat.
People study old usenet and fidonet posts so yeah probably. Interesting times when the Soviet Union was falling apart and people experiencing it first hand were posting about it to get around media censorship.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Al Borland posted:

I wonder if future historians will stumble upon some lost archives of Something Awful and upon our thread and read it all curious to learn more about our lives and daily activities. Man are they in for a treat.

this but unironically. widespread literacy is fukken great for historians

also, the guys i study believe that if you bury a snake's head with one pea in each eye, wait for the pea plants to grow, and put a pea from those plants inside each bullet while you're casting them, it will make you shoot straight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al Borland posted:

I wonder if future historians will stumble upon some lost archives of Something Awful and upon our thread and read it all curious to learn more about our lives and daily activities. Man are they in for a treat.

HELLO PERSONS OF THE FUTURE

DO NOT WEAR PANTYHOSE WITHOUT UNDERWEAR, THEY WILL GET CROTCHY

if this knowledge is lost, revive it. it was important to my people.

p.s. we didn't understand the Supernatural fandom either

amarantinesky

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 4, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sabel posted:

People study old usenet and fidonet posts so yeah probably. Interesting times when the Soviet Union was falling apart and people experiencing it first hand were posting about it to get around media censorship.

An in-depth study on the 9/11 thread.

WATCH BUSH START A WAR

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Pick posted:

HELLO PERSONS OF THE FUTURE

DO NOT WEAR PANTYHOSE WITHOUT UNDERWEAR, THEY WILL GET CROTCHY

if this knowledge is lost, revive it. it was important to my people.

You should probably also draw a pictogram of this, so everyone can understand the message.

I wore tights without underwear today, I'm incorrigible

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Kimmalah posted:

An in-depth study on the 9/11 thread.

WATCH BUSH START A WAR
http://w2.eff.org/Activism/russian_coup_netuse.article
code:
   From: polina@moria.demos.su (Polina Antonova)
   Date: Wed, 21 Aug 91 01:39:46 +0300 (MSD)

      Don't worry, the only danger for us is if they
      catch and arrest us, as we're sitting at home
      (Valera in Demos) and distributing all inf. we have.
      I can only hear these tanks, and, it seems, aircraft.
      But I have to know, what's happening near White house!
      inform me, if you can.
			      Polina

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Historians if you find this we're probably all dead. If not though track us down. I'd love to chat.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Polina Antonova is now an apparently successful personal chef living in the Bay Area

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
one of my favourite things about Old Internet was that it was so small basically everyone just signed posts with their first name and maybe institution they worked at. it's like this weird hybrid between posts and letters and i loving love it

e:

Sabel posted:

Polina Antonova is now an apparently successful personal chef living in the Bay Area
awesome

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
historians and irony levels

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

p.s. we didn't understand the Supernatural fandom either

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, my friend took engagement photos for us back in September. I asked her about them a month ago and she said she'd send them to me after Christmas. After asking her about them again, she tells me she's been having problems with her hard drive and wants to redo the photos. It's too cold to do outdoor photos right now, so she suggested the conservatory, which I think is pretty boring, but there aren't any other options right now.

And I have no idea what to do with my hair. It's in that awkward stage where it's just long enough to put into a small ponytail, but looks like a mullet otherwise. I was gonna wait until closer to the wedding before deciding whether I wanted to grow my hair out more or not.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Al Borland posted:

Historians if you find this we're probably all dead. If not though track us down. I'd love to chat.

We just died in our own filth, still posting. :v:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Half up half down?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kimmalah posted:

We just died in our own filth, still posting. :v:

Hopefully the ladies thread will still be going when we're all just sentient brains in tastefully elegant jars :3:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 16, 2014

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Terrible secret

The crotchiness potential doesn't even seem as bad as the itchiness. It has to be itchy, right? Do you have super soft tights?

Unrelated: My 8-year-old niece is sewing a blanket with my mom. I asked my mom how it was going and she said that my niece was doing surprisingly well and was really good. This is important, sewing is in our blood. I told my niece that her grandma said she was doing really well and was really proud of her. This was her response:

Kind of a jerk sometimes posted:

Yes. Yes I am. I got that from Despictdible Me 2.

She is the best/worst. I love her. I also asked her what my husband should draw and her response was "baseball,football,me,nunchucks,sword".

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

detectivemonkey posted:

The crotchiness potential doesn't even seem as bad as the itchiness. It has to be itchy, right? Do you have super soft tights?
They're pretty soft, I guess? Cotton crotch and everything.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ugg i wish it was easier for me to get motivated to do things depression sucks

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

NecroMonster posted:

ugg i wish it was easier for me to get motivated to do things depression sucks

doing things sucks

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gravitee posted:

Half up half down?

That doesn't work. It's either in a ponytail, or it's not.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

on one hand yes on the other hand id rather not just sit here and stare at my computer and wish i could get myself to work on some 3d art or draw something

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
you can never go wrong with swords

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

NecroMonster posted:

on one hand yes on the other hand id rather not just sit here and stare at my computer and wish i could get myself to work on some 3d art or draw something

oh you *want* to do things

yea we're in different places

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
On history: I did one of my grad school essays on the Redditbomb. IIRC I got an A on it, which was better than I expected.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

NecroMonster posted:

on one hand yes on the other hand id rather not just sit here and stare at my computer and wish i could get myself to work on some 3d art or draw something

Have you tried just doing it without giving yourself time to think about your lack of motivation or w/e? That works for some people (me). I'm writing a blog post about the lovely bleach kit I used, and then I'm writing another one about the coloring part of my recent hair adventure. I've accomplished a lot on both posts by just doing it and ignoring my brain. Sorry if this is something you've already tried.

Edit:

Al Borland posted:

Man everyone is pretty young. I remember 9/11 I was in HS and in video / tv production class. Saw the second plane go in live :smug:

I was in HS as well, the eleventh of September, 2001 was a day where we had the essay portion of state testing. I was one of the last people in school to find out about it, because I had a screwed-up wrist and was in a room by myself with an aide whose job it was to write what I said down. No one popped in and told us. The principal came on the intercom and gave a speech and the aide and I were just looking at each other like 'wat?' The testing stuff was over at lunchtime, so as soon as I got out of there I tracked down a friend and was like "uhhh what happened?" That was at like, 12:35 PM Eastern. We didn't get poo poo done the rest of the day, we had TVs in all the classrooms and we just watched the news and chatted.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 28, 2014

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

basically gunna sit here paralysed until the web serial i am reading updates i think

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Fabulist posted:

Have you tried just doing it without giving yourself time to think about your lack of motivation or w/e? That works for some people (me). I'm writing a blog post about the lovely bleach kit I used, and then I'm writing another one about the coloring part of my recent hair adventure. I've accomplished a lot on both posts by just doing it and ignoring my brain. Sorry if this is something you've already tried.

nope never tried that ill try that next time

you see i cannot get the motivation to try that right now lol

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 16, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 16, 2014

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
whats there to argue about with mgs boomx3?

  • Locked thread