Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Boy was I off about that song, I haven't listened to real black metal in awhile. Just remembered this old beauty from Naglfar back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkxxaFaT5Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

darthzeta88 posted:

OK saw the Amon Amarth concert last night. Skeleton Witch was ok but Enslaved was epic live.

Enslaved is really quite amazing live; everyone should see them play at least once.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just got an email saying Motorhead will be playing in San Fran on April 18. I feel as if it is my life's purpose to see this show.

It should be, especially because at this point every tour might be Lemmy's last. :(

edit: don't be too sure of that show. They just posted a message today cancelling a european tour that was starting next month. Lemmy ain't doing well, still.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 24, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Probably getting near the end of their existence as a touring band. Diabetes is no joke when you're pushing 70.

They'll probably cut back to doing a few festival shows a year and the occasional mini tour, assuming Lemmy gets back to 100%.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbid Florist posted:

It should be, especially because at this point every tour might be Lemmy's last. :(

edit: don't be too sure of that show. They just posted a message today cancelling a european tour that was starting next month. Lemmy ain't doing well, still.

Ah poo poo. :( I was hoping to see them one last time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Tickets went on sale this morning, but yeah Lemmy :( I've never seen them live either.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

comes along bort posted:

Probably getting near the end of their existence as a touring band. Diabetes is no joke when you're pushing 70.

They'll probably cut back to doing a few festival shows a year and the occasional mini tour, assuming Lemmy gets back to 100%.

The man loves being on the road enough that I think once they stop touring, that's about it for him.

If there's any justice in this world he'll die on stage, and if there's a god other than him the paramedics will be prostitutes

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Vintersorg posted:

In the end just drink a light beer if you dont want to be wasted. Drinking 101.

Anyways, Soulfly hitting up my city in a couple weeks - any idea of how much the set is good Sepultura stuff? In fact, no Soulfly stuff would be nice. Fear Factory posted yesterday about their metal cruise ship and playing the entirety of Demanufacture - wish they would take that on tour (or maybe they will??).

This is the most 90's post now.

Last time I saw them was a couple years ago, but I'd say about a third of their set then was pre-Roots Sepultura.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I consider myself lucky, I've seen Motörhead three times and even got to shake Lemmy's hand once. It's going to b a sad day when he passes.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Soooo, if anyone here is going on 70,000 Tons of Metal next week, I will be selling merch.

Come wave/high five/bring me tea. (But so help you if you bring sleepytime tea).

:)

Also, new Nausea crushes.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'm not going to the cruise but I'll be at the Carcass show tomorrow, I'm beyond excited for this poo poo.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
OF INTEREST TO METAL THREAD: I JUST POSTED IN THE BRUTALIST MEGATHREAD ABOUT THE TIME I GAVE CANNIBAL CORPSE'S TOUR MANAGER A TOUR OF HISTORIC NEW HAVEN AND TAUGHT HIM WHAT BRUTALIST ARCHITECTURE IS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601435&pagenumber=18#post424868981

Directly metal related: Imprecation's recent album is killer and there's a certain quality about it that I can't quite pinpoint that is hard to find. There's something about Satanae Tenebris Infinita that is shared with Infester's "To the Depths..." Miasma's "Changes" and to a lesser extent, Evilution's "Shrine of Desecration" and Morpheus Descends' "Ritual of Infinity" that I'm not getting from the usual Swedish/Finnish/Dutch/Florida/NY old school death metal, Incantation worship, or any of the OSDM revival stuff that I've heard. I can't quite put a finger on what it is, I'll need to spend a few hours dedicated to listening and thinking about it I guess. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like this? I'm familiar with most of the standards/classics and a some of the newer stuff (most of the DDR catalogue) so I'm not sure where to look unless there's something I've missed or forgotten. I might be overlooking something I haven't heard in years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbX4pq8vLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_5giGIstkg

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You probably know Pseudogod but I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0buCsrE9A

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLh62htgbW8

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
And I just learned that this was a cover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxIKvmPjGU0

:gibs:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

darthzeta88 posted:

OK saw the Amon Amarth concert last night. Skeleton Witch was ok but Enslaved was epic live.

Seeing them in Boston on Saturday. I can't wait!

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's too bad Skeletonwitch isn't headlining. I was stoked to see the touring stuff on Facebook and then bummed to find out their the first(?) opening band. I'm not familiar with Enslaved and Amon Amarth but I'll watch some stuff on Youtube to see if I think it's worth it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

me your dad posted:

It's too bad Skeletonwitch isn't headlining. I was stoked to see the touring stuff on Facebook and then bummed to find out their the first(?) opening band. I'm not familiar with Enslaved and Amon Amarth but I'll watch some stuff on Youtube to see if I think it's worth it.

Just throw on the song Ruun by enslaved. If you're a huge Skeletonwitch/Black Dahlia/Arsis fan Amon Amarth is probably going to be a little slower and boring.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
That tour skipped Portland. gently caress that tour.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

me your dad posted:

Skeletonwitch is good, but I really wish it was Enslaved headlining so they could have an encore. I had to leave early last time I saw them and I missed their cover of "Immigrant Song" that they were playing as an encore that tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBISfxoORj0

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

me your dad posted:

Skeletonwitch gave me an iron maiden type of sound. Good but not hard core for what I wanted. I am an Amon Amarth fan so I was glad they were headlining. Enslaved seemed to be in that level but they also are one of the traditional of that genre iirc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh cool I somehow have SiriusXM in my car radio.

*tunes to the only metal station

Faith No More, Soulfly, Living Sacrifice... what the gently caress

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah, the "metal" station plays the worst of "metal" like 99% of the time. It's pretty awful. I'd stick to the classic rock stations or something.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At The Gates are putting out a new album! Holy poo poo!! :D

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/at-the-gates-announces-new-studio-album-label-home/

quote:

Seminal Swedish metallers AT THE GATES are back! Following the heat of an ample and highly praised live reunion, the pioneers of the "Gothenburg-style" melodic death metal sound have announced that they are working on a comeback studio album, "At War With Reality", with the classic lineup of their latest masterpiece effort from 1995, "Slaughter Of The Soul", expected to be released worldwide by the end of 2014 via their new label partner Century Media Records.

AT THE GATES checked in with the following comment statement: "So, here we are almost 24 years since the birth of AT THE GATES, and some 18+ years since our latest album 'Slaughter Of The Soul'. A lot of years have passed and we have embarked on some life-changing reunion tours and shows the last couple of years.

"So, why make a new album you might ask, and why now? Well, what we learned from the last couple of years hanging out and playing shows together is that we enjoy what we do to the fullest extent. We love playing music together, and we love to hang out as friends. But, as a musician, we constantly write new music. It's a huge part of our identities.

"We are fully aware that we have made some very drastic statements in interviews as well as the closing words on the DVD about the longevity of AT THE GATES, but things change, situations change and people change.

"When Anders [Björler, guitar] sent the first song last summer, we had zero expectations of the outcome. We only knew one thing — that it sounded amazing! At the time we weren't even sure there would be an album, but as things progressed, more songs came into existence, and we knew we were on to something great.

"We know you are all curious about the new material, and to make a simple explanation of where we are at musically, we would describe it as a perfect mix between early AT THE GATES and 'Slaughter Of The Soul'-era AT THE GATES, trying to maintain the legacy and the history.

"We chose Century Media as a worldwide partner for the upcoming album. We have all been friends for years with people at the label. Jonas [Björler, bass] and Anders have a history with THE HAUNTED there (as well as Adrian [Erlandsson, drums] with PARADISE LOST).

"So, we hope to bring you updates about the progress of the new album soon. The plan is to record the album in June/July with a tentative release in October / November of 2014 on Century Media Records."

Added Century Media Records: "We are extremely proud and super excited to have teamed up with one of the most legendary and influential bands in metal.

"AT THE GATES have not only been a staff favourite since their very inception, but also a group of members that we individually like, respect and are always glad to support.

"As the reunion shows of the recent years have demonstrated, AT THE GATES are currently on top of their game and more relevant than ever before within and for the metal scene of these days.

"We truly look forward to pushing AT THE GATES to new heights with their new album 'At War With Reality'. Let's...GO!!!"

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I put on Liquid Metal once when I was driving someones car that had satellite radio and it was on a Demilich song, maybe I got lucky.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Still a faster turnaround time between albums than My Bloody Valentine.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Was listening to mainly black metal the past few months, trying to find some new releases from different metal genres and stumbled upon Valon Lapset by Vainaja. From a new album that is supposedly coming out soon.

Bandcamp url.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

nerve posted:

I put on Liquid Metal once when I was driving someones car that had satellite radio and it was on a Demilich song, maybe I got lucky.

The last few songs I've seen were by Slayer, then Deftones (a song called "Goon Squad", even), and now Mastodon's "Curl of the Burl." With some exceptions, it's usually entry level dreck. Honestly, they play stuff like Lamb of God and Slipknot fairly often.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, its tough finding a good metal station out there. On Songza this morning I was listening to "Thrash Metal Shred" when Dream Theater comes on, than Five Finger Death Punch followed up by Suicidal Tendencies (which I didn't mind cause they own). I dont know who the gently caress is making these but they are stupid.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Jose Mangin's host slot on Liquid Metal in the late afternoon weekdays is pretty good though, he usually plays good poo poo and gets a lot of cool interviews with people.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Speaking of radio stations - If you've never basked in the glory that is Wrekage, enjoy: http://www.wrekage.org/

It's a long running, weekly eight hour metal show on the Georgia Tech radio station. They've been on the air forever.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 28, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I'll love them forever if it's nothing but early-mid 2000s mascara and girl jeans scenecore.

e: especially if they put in some sick mosh4christ breakdowns in each song

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

me your dad posted:

Speaking of radio stations - If you've never basked in the glory that is Wrekage, enjoy: http://www.wrekage.org/

It's a long running, weekly eight hour metal show on the Georgia Tech radio station. They've been on the air forever.

I used to tape it in the early '90's. Half the shows were just static though because I think they used to broadcast with some dude holding rabbit ears on the roof.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Behemoth released a new song 'Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer' and it kicks so much rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQj7Omlqdi8

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

Behemoth released a new song 'Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer' and it kicks so much rear end.

Holy poo poo, that's an awesome track. :black101:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Trees and Squids posted:

Uuuuah god man...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The AA/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show is on Valentine's Day in SF. Can't go :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KingKapalone posted:

The AA/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show is on Valentine's Day in SF. Can't go :(

Get a cooler valentine.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Trees and Squids posted:

"Reconstellate the firmament" is probably the best lyric I have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I'm going with "a megalinga of throbbing zeal."

This song sounds like they pasted DSO bookends onto "Chant for Eschaton" played with the aggression (and possibly the chords) of "No Sympathy for Fools." For some strange reason, though, I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album, something rare, as I've tended to buy Behemoth stuff out of habit, no real ... emotional investment in the band -- at least not since that Satanica - Thelema - Zos Kia run.

Oh, WIITR update, new (sort of) album:

quote:

Following the November release of their BBC Session 2011 Anno Domini two-track live 12" via Southern Lord, new recordings from WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM have been confirmed for a 2014 release. Following several months of anticipation, the Cascadian black metal clan comprised of brothers Aaron and Nathan Weaver now humbly unveil their impending full-length release, Celestite.

Taking a different approach than their previous LPs, Celestite is a completely newly envisioned, parallel-universe version of Celestial Lineage, the beautifully blackened fourth studio full-length epic WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM released via Southern Lord in 2011. Celestite arises with a whole new, ethereal approach. There are no drums and no vocals. Rather, deep, heavy crystalline synthesizer journeying, Eno-inspired analog processing and arcane acoustic instrumentation expand upon dimensions folded within the universe of Celestial Lineage.

The Weavers tell us: "To make Celestite, we delved into the subterranean sonics that are buried in the mix of Celestial Lineage. We isolated them, processed them and took this unearthed soundscape as our starting point. Upon this base we recorded an entirely new album. Some melodies from Celestial Lineage are recognizable, but these familiar sounds appear as ghosts, barely tethered to the original compositions. This new album is an unorthodox foray; a fully instrumental, experimental companion record to Celestial Lineage. We left some work undone with Celestial Lineage. The recording of that album in the Winter of 2011 was a monumental project for us personally, and the creative fire from those recording sessions was still burning. This recording process was an opportunity to journey into our own inner universe to complete that which needed to be completed."

Paired once again with producer Randall Dunn (Earth, Sunn O))), Master Musicians Of Bukkake), Celestite came to fruition at Avast Studios and WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM's own Olympia-based studio Owl Lodge. While cloistered during the recording sessions they made use of a mammoth arsenal of crumbling vintage equipment including a Serge Modular System, Korg Poly6, Korg MS20, Korg Mono/Poly, Roland Juno 106, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland Super jx10, Jomox Airbase 99, Access Virus and more. The album also features a guest wind ensemble including friends Josiah Boothby on French Horn, Steve Moore (Earth, Sunn O))), Stebmo) on Trombone, and both Mara Winter and Veronica Dye on flute.

The upcoming release of Celestite is doubly exciting for WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM as it will mark another new venture for the duo; the inaugural release on their own new label, Diadem Records. The band states, "Diadem Records is the imprint we created to release Celestite and future albums. Most importantly for us, working on this album has revealed a whole new vein of creative energy for WITTR. Now that the long trip of creating this album is finished, our appetite is whetted for future projects, thus we feel it necessary to pre-empt the inevitable chatter that will accompany the release of this record. WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM has not permanently abandoned the guitar and drums! We sense that one day -- perhaps sooner, perhaps later -- we will be inspired to return to our stacks of amplifiers and cabinets to create new music."

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 28, 2014