Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Duro posted:

I'm such a loving moron. I was gearing up to build the robot, and I had at least 300 iron ore, and I accidentally trashed it. I had to close the game, I don't feel like mining all night.....

At least you didn't waste all your pixels and metal building blocks instead of bars by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonFM
Oct 3, 2013

King Doom posted:

At least you didn't waste all your pixels and metal building blocks instead of bars by mistake.

Or have it stolen by some lazy player who never does anything.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
EDIT: Nevermind, it was the copper ore, not copper bar to repair stuff.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 28, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You use the ore, not bars.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I found a good old regular dog on a planet, sadly you cant catch it with capture pods! :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think they changed how item generation works because I haven't been able to find any legendaries at places people posted on the wiki but used to go right to them on the last version. Some of the major features like apex labs or the matter block pyramids would be there but mushroom villages would get replaced by solo avian/floran huts and other weirdness.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

I've been trying to add stuff to the google doc linked in the OP as I find things after the patch. Found this planet with an avian ship where they sold guns in Beta Sector:

X: -73701457 Y: -52793415
Beta Psi UMa Majoris III A
Savannah TL2 [Furious Koala]
Avian Airship anchor short walk left of spawn, crystal trees to the right

I'll check it out, thanks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Oneiros posted:

Anyone have the coordinates for a Butterfly / Grav / Blink tech? Any sector is fine. I've gotten to tier X without running into any and would love the extra mobility for exploring.

Gamma 16 Cyg 58 VIII b (forest)
X:96686729 Y:-85265299

Head left. Butterfly is in an Old Chest in a small vertical surface cave, bottom of a tiny valley. Easy to miss; if you hit the big Apex obstacle course, go back (after grabbing the Dash at the end of the obstacle course if you want it, no need to go through the facility because the goal chest is visible from the surface).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Gamma 16 Cyg 58 VIII b (forest)
X:96686729 Y:-85265299

Head left. Butterfly is in an Old Chest in a small vertical surface cave, bottom of a tiny valley. Easy to miss; if you hit the big Apex obstacle course, go back (after grabbing the Dash at the end of the obstacle course if you want it, no need to go through the facility because the goal chest is visible from the surface).

Success! Many thanks.

For anyone else looking for it it's about 1 screen to the left of the beam-down point. Very, very close and easy to overlook. Mine was in a tech chest, though, not an old chest.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I noticed the game downloaded another small patch this morning, wonder what it did.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Uh...Steam just started downloading a ~495 MB "update" for me, is that happening for anyone else or am I just getting the previous one twice?

EDIT: Okay, so it wasn't just me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My game is just redownloading again for some reason.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There has got to be a better way to do this than to download a 400MB+ patch every single time.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

There has got to be a better way to do this than to download a 400MB+ patch every single time.

Any update that touches assets is going to be ~380MB at a minimum now that everything is in that .pak archive. I'd get used to it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For some reason they build the regular executable with some ridiculous debug poo poo that no one outside their company has any business touching and it bloats the executable up to like 500 MB for no real benefit. The OpenGL version is 10 MB, for comparison.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
At least it's not as bad as payday 2 updates, you need as much free space as the game is (~10gb or whatever) for any update. It will also take forever to download.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jusupov posted:

At least it's not as bad as payday 2 updates, you need as much free space as the game is (~10gb or whatever) for any update. It will also take forever to download.

It will also break half of the game's missions.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are florian prisons new? I had never seen one before, but just found one. The guards drop guns like crazy too.

Edit: Coords are Alpha sector X -85265299 Y 58355575. Alpha Tiyuri Majoris I a. Good source of firearms if you want one before taking on the UFO at tier 1. Prison is about half a day's walk either way from spawn, you can find a few misc chests if you go right though.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 28, 2014

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Blhue posted:

Are florian prisons new? I had never seen one before, but just found one. The guards drop guns like crazy too.

Nope, they've been around. I think I found one in the first release.

They do drop plasma guns like crazy now, though :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, guns are pretty easy to get now. There was a USCM lab right next to the spawn on my first planet and one of the enemies dropped a phase rifle.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Was variable gravity within a single planet a thing before? I remember when they implemented different gravity on different planets, but today I came across one of the big Apex temple/lab/whatever thingies and the gravity changed to almost nothing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

shymog posted:

Was variable gravity within a single planet a thing before? I remember when they implemented different gravity on different planets, but today I came across one of the big Apex temple/lab/whatever thingies and the gravity changed to almost nothing.

Yeah, even on the last patch sometimes major features would have their own gravity for some reason. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Blhue posted:

Yeah, even on the last patch sometimes major features would have their own gravity for some reason. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature though.

Definitely a feature. The devs have said that dungeons need their own local gravity fields to work right from a mechanical perspective (think the Apex jumping puzzles).

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Gamma Eta Car 4955 VI
-37353315 -26891225
Threat level III.

The snow planet has an apex lab with rocket jump in it and the arid one has a fairly big glitch village with merchants, both to the left.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

FrickenMoron posted:

I found a good old regular dog on a planet, sadly you cant catch it with capture pods! :smith:

Any chance you kept the planet coordinates? Wanna murder pet those pups! :3:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So does anyone know what the "secret" fun stuff they added this patch was? Also did they release any of the LUA documentation? I know that was mentioned in the patch notes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

For some reason they build the regular executable with some ridiculous debug poo poo that no one outside their company has any business touching and it bloats the executable up to like 500 MB for no real benefit. The OpenGL version is 10 MB, for comparison.
Yeah, I never understood that. We can't even use any of the diagnostic functions to check if something works, like spawning random items.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/428262621163585538

quote:

Keybindings are actually being worked on RIGHT NOW, fyi.

Is everyone happy now? :)

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

King Doom posted:

As much as it embarrasses me to admit this, I accidentally trashed the robot after building it once- had it all ready to go, set it down, tried to activate it, and got the "planet surface" notification.

Tried to put it back in my inventory, accidentally junked it.

Finger Wagon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 28, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Are people using the goon coordinates list from the first page? Or do we need a new one? If we are going to use the old one can we purge anything that is no longer there? It kinda sucks wasting time looking for a planet that was deleted 3 builds ago.

I can setup a new doc if the person who owns the old one is not around anymore or whatever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I, for one, am already looking for the next video game thing to be angry about don't worry.

On another note, its CM appreciation day. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/cm-appreciation-day.67095

Please don't shitpost in it, but I thought I'd share. Check out goonmod Braww's shrine lower on the page.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I, for one, am already looking for the next video game thing to be angry about don't worry.

On another note, its CM appreciation day. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/cm-appreciation-day.67095

Please don't shitpost in it, but I thought I'd share. Check out goonmod Braww's shrine lower on the page.

Desideratus mollygos poster is horrifying.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
http://www.twitch.tv/tinyturtlesa

Streaming modded starbound with Tiny Turtle

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh god this Pixel stopgap. Build steel tier stuff, run out of cash. Shove all of your copper into the refinery, Spend all your money building the robot, run out of cash. Beta sector wildlife loves to drop nothing 1/4 the time, 10 or 20 pixels 1/2 the time, and 60 pixels 1/4 the time.

Dig down to finally look for diamonds to build a diamond pick while you are at it. Smash through literal piles of capsules (6 pixels each WOW). Hit 31 diamond ore (so close) out of the 32 needed for a diamond pick. Double check the requirements on the wiki... 1,600 pixels. How much have I made since the brain bot without a single death or building a single thing that needs pixels (I've only died once so far early in before building any Iron weapons or armor)? 1,821 :downsgun:

Thank god for the refinery, but even that will probably be only just enough to get me into the beta sector. 200 Iron Bars is 4,000 pixels... But the Diamond Pick takes 1,600, robotics table is 600, Starmap mk3 is 750. That's already just shy of 3k. Gold Armor will cost me 800, Titanium Armor once I have the titanium for it will cost me another 2,650.

Gotta dig deeper, daddy needs a surplus of silver to pay the bills.

EDTI: vvv Yeah, I'm ON a desert world. A Huge one. In orbit are like, 5 goddamnned other planets (of tiny size) and an asteroid belt. Nothing cool yet though dungeon or tech wise. But then I probably have a LOT of horizontal ground left to cover on this world alone. The solar system has two lone mid sized worlds aside from that.

I would love to finish exploring this wonderful playground of Desert/jungle/arid/forest worlds. But I will need to move on if I want titanium once I can reach Gamma.

Try your luck in the Beta Vadrock 289 System (I'm at III) , I have no idea what you may find, and you may find the cool stuff long before I do since I'm only able to play off and on in small bits.

X -5453511 Y -56678583

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 28, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

Oh god this Pixel stopgap. Build steel tier stuff, run out of cash. Shove all of your copper into the refinery, Spend all your money building the robot, run out of cash. Beta sector wildlife loves to drop nothing 1/4 the time, 10 or 20 pixels 1/2 the time, and 60 pixels 1/4 the time.

Dig down to finally look for diamonds to build a diamond pick while you are at it. Smash through literal piles of capsules (6 pixels each WOW). Hit 31 diamond ore (so close) out of the 32 needed for a diamond pick. Double check the requirements on the wiki... 1,600 pixels. How much have I made since the brain bot without a single death or building a single thing that needs pixels (I've only died once so far early in before building any Iron weapons or armor)? 1,821 :downsgun:

Thank god for the refinery, but even that will probably be only just enough to get me into the beta sector. 200 Iron Bars is 4,000 pixels... But the Diamond Pick takes 1,600, robotics table is 600, Starmap mk3 is 750. That's already just shy of 3k. Gold Armor will cost me 800, Titanium Armor once I have the titanium for it will cost me another 2,650.

Gotta dig deeper, daddy needs a surplus of silver to pay the bills.

Good way I have found is to look for systems with many planets, preferably in the same orbit so you can shift between them for only one fuel, desert being ideal and just hoovering up all the surface ore, its surprising how much you can get!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That, and refining all the diamond you find after making the pick. It gets you a ton of pixels and you will easily get more once you need it for the drill.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I haven't even bothered making the diamond pick and I'm just saving up for my drill once I get around to fighting the dragon and opening tier 4. For some reason, I've been finding gently caress all diamond this play through, with almost all of what I have found having been already refined diamonds I found in chests.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Blhue posted:

I haven't even bothered making the diamond pick and I'm just saving up for my drill once I get around to fighting the dragon and opening tier 4. For some reason, I've been finding gently caress all diamond this play through, with almost all of what I have found having been already refined diamonds I found in chests.

Found a cavern with a bunch of oil lanterns in it, apparently they're generated near a lot of ore, because I left a massive cave network with 162 diamonds and 600+ of everything else. I am officially sick of mining now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has anyone found a alpha sector planet that has the nifty golden sparkle rain as its weather effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
My brothers and I want to rent our very own Starbound server. I've checked the official servers, but a 12 slot is their minimum, and we already have a private mumble server, so the voice chat bundle is unappealing. What are some good places to look for? I've never really rented a server besides once doing a small Minecraft place, so I don't know who is reputable, has good tech support, etc.

• Locked thread