Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Wow they just made all "standard" builds of Wolverine and Thor useless. They also nerfed Thor's red and yellow damage, and their tile generation too. Thor is like the standard nuking-type character who you use to blast someone down fast. Now he can't even do that since his power move is 14 green now.

With them nerfing Strike tiles and efficient nuking powers, how the hell will you fight high level Daken/Bullseye now? And if I want to rebuild my Wolverine/Thor from scratch I have to spend like 80,000 ISO.

poo poo, if they ruined these characters this much I'm afraid of what they plan to do with Spiderman.

edit: Didn't notice the increased tile generation for Thor yellow. So 12 yellow to create 9 green tiles with some damage. Thor 5/5/3 can still work as long as you just use the yellow to feed Grey Suit's green (much higher damage for only 5 more AP).

Eddain fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Friendly Fire posted:

My Thor is sitting at 3/4/2 at the moment. 3/5/5 definitely looks like the best path now right?
I'd say Thunder Strike is still a solid 5. The other two I'm not sure - it looks actually close enough to be a choice.

Old 5/5/3 spec - Mjolnir: 1011 damage, Call the Storm ~1500 to target, ~800 to team.
3/5/5 spec - Mjolnir: ~700 damage, Call the Storm 2003 to target, 1001 to team.

Mjolnir is a nice nuke at a round 1k, but a CtS that deals 4k damage total is pretty baller now that Thunder Strike is more likely to lead straight into one.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This is where Thor and Wolverine look sad at each other because their bromance is doomed :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eddain posted:

Wow they just made all "standard" builds of Wolverine and Thor useless. They also nerfed Thor's red and yellow damage, and their tile generation too. Thor is like the standard nuking-type character who you use to blast someone down fast. Now he can't even do that since his power move is 14 green now.

With them nerfing Strike tiles and efficient nuking powers, how the hell will you fight high level Daken/Bullseye now? And if I want to rebuild my Wolverine/Thor from scratch I have to spend like 80,000 ISO.

poo poo, if they ruined these characters this much I'm afraid of what they plan to do with Spiderman.

Loki is the answer.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, I got my Patch up to all 2s, but I got rubberbanded. All missions done twice(so 1 point rewards) , 3rd place, trailing by ~100 points. Fair enough. Those Wolverine and Thor changes make my standard builds cry, but I'll make do. Still need to finish off Ares and OBW, anyway, and Patch might be competitive enough to take over, even after the bug fix.

And oh hey, new missions opened up in the main event. There's a nasty new enemy type, and it looks like the story's finally getting to the villains beyond the Dark Avengers. Still has Patch and OBW required missions, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd been pulling Punisher along for the Patch fights since my patch is all yellow. :v: And he gets to kill MafiaMaggia, his favourite thing in the world!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
How the hell do you de-level the enemies in the current event? I tried entering with a poo poo team and retreating but they still look maxed.

Also, gently caress them for not implementing respeccing before nerfing like every commonly played character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get murdered. Retreating wont cut it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Man I'm speechless on those character changes the thing that pisses me off most is that destroyed wolverine's healing and thor's thunder strike. I think I could have suffered through the other changes but that really hurts most.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Get murdered. Retreating wont cut it.

Does getting murdered over and over again in the same match work? Or do I have to do it in different matches?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know, it's kinda refreshing to see a game where a thug with a dinky pistol does more damage than the Juggernaut. Reminds me of those old beat-em-ups where the enemies would throw trashcans at Captain America (and kill him).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Confirming that enemy level drops on character death, not just a loss. As such the first mission of the current map is excellent for tanking the level. It requires both Wolverine and Widow, so you can use the game's versions and only one of your own, then let them all die. Going through about 15 of my guys this way took the enemies from 175 down to 35.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any point in doing these missions the night before or are the points you get in the last hour the only thing that matters? Is the rubberbanding really *that* bad?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

Is there any point in doing these missions the night before or are the points you get in the last hour the only thing that matters? Is the rubberbanding really *that* bad?

I joined the last mini-event with about 40 minutes to spare and got to #9 before the difficulty became too much for my 1-cover Patch. I ended up in the top 25.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Speaking of rubberbanding: Word to the wise, if you haven't done the new missions in the main event, you can hold off doing those to keep your point rewards high in the sub event.

The objective with that is to try and let as many people in your bracket boost their overall points from them doing those new main event missions so their sub event missions are worth considerably less points than yours.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm thrilled by the changes to Thor and Wolverine, since I don't have the covers to really use either. Also, Storm Classic is probably my go-to character, and this Proposed Thor looks like he works particularly well with her and how I plan to have her built. As a person who didn't have those covers, but had to put up with fighting their punk-asses constantly, I'm not exactly shedding tears over this.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yes nerfing two of the easiest to get powerful characters sure is good for you guy-who-has-nothing-but-a-post-nerf-CStorm. Now you can enjoy getting clowned by Ares and Punisher instead while scooping up gobs of far less useful Wolverine/Thor covers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

BGrifter posted:

Yes nerfing two of the easiest to get powerful characters sure is good for you guy-who-has-nothing-but-a-post-nerf-CStorm. Now you can enjoy getting clowned by Ares and Punisher instead while scooping up gobs of far less useful Wolverine/Thor covers.

Yeah I just sold my half-assed wolverine and Thor because I'm not assed to get those covers anymore when I have a Half-assed Ares, 2 green in Hulk and a black Punisher. they're pretty much garbage now.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

BGrifter posted:

Thor's still pretty great. 5 yellow owns for the green tile generation and has become the new red. And since there are so many great users of green AP (namely Patch, Grey Widow and Classic Storm) 5/5/3 Thor should be fine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I have four classic storm greens waiting in the wing, with zero other covers. I'm assuming max green is still desired? 5 5 3?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Sent a squad to get murdered except they actually won.

lvl 28 1/2/0 Grey BW, lvl 24 1/3/1 IM40, lvl 18 1/2 Loki vs 140 Maggia Muscle, Thug, Hitman

IM 40 would recharge & salvo. BW would use pistol & sniper rifle to help clear countdown tiles. Loki would swap tiles around looking for a match.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I have a lv85 Wolvie and Thor and I like the new changes, except they gotta put in a cover respec system because I don't want to go hunting for 13+13 covers all over again.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I'm only miffed about the Thor changes because when they switched to the new cover system I was at 5/4/4, which was acceptable to me at the time. But the extra green tiles from level 5 yellow now would be really nice.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

Thor's still pretty great. 5 yellow owns for the green tile generation and has become the new red. And since there are so many great users of green AP (namely Patch, Grey Widow and Classic Storm) 5/5/3 Thor should be fine.

Yeah I've been using Thor pre-nerf in the maffia event when Ares was down just for the tile generation on his yellow. He was't very high level but it was still a fairly useful skill to feed into more strike tiles.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
For one brief dizzying moment I was number 1 in the main event. Sadly real life took over, cats needed feeding, head to work etc, down to #17 and everything just worth a single point.

Nice to have The Hood being on the bad-guys side. He's my highest level character by far (L100), and I didn't even really realise how much I rely on him. This has been training me to try other tactics, like Classic Spiderman and OBW - neither of which I have fully skilled.

matryx fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 28, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Changes to Wolverine aren't too terrible. gently caress the Thor ones though. They'd better add a respec option or Thor is going back to Asgard to sulk. I mean, the changes are fine and they were kind of needed, but it fucks over everyone who has a maxed out one and makes them have to make a new one or have one that doesn't live up to full potential. It's mainly that Green was poo poo and nobody used it, and they've changed it to his strongest.

Ah screw it, just throw out the drat power cap. 5/5/5 for everybody. Make it cost a chunk of Iso or something to remove it for a character if that seems too easy. Or maybe a system where each cover gives you a point to put into that power, and then you can choose where to put 13 points in or something. And stick an Iso cost on there if you must.

Of course, these changes are going to make these PvE events loving horrible unless they fix those too. Wait, more loving horrible than they already are.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Lightning rounds are back to fund sweet Patch levels.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Ended up throwing some hero coins @ the Diabolical 5 pack. Pretty sweet deal, considering how bad I am at lightning rounds.

Also, the fastest way to tank is to vs the Muscle Men or the permanent 230s. Apparently this PVE event is based off of a PVP matchmaking system, so you can tank the 'MMR'.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is there a guaranteed Daredevil cover in this thing like there was for Hulk?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Haven't seen one so far and I'm up to fighting 230 Hood/Magneto.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mons Hubris posted:

Is there a guaranteed Daredevil cover in this thing like there was for Hulk?

Nope. I've done em all.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I am really unhappy with the direction they are taking with this game. The core game is great. I love comic books and I love puzzle quest, so basically up until this PvE event, I have been happy. I've even been tossing them $20 every couple of weeks. But now I am so burnt out with the constant grinding and grinding to get high on a leader board only to be bumped out to the poo poo rewards if you have to go take a piss. And having to send in a scrub team to get murdered so the levels of the opponents will go down from 230 is loving silly. The PvE events should have scaled individual missions like they have all along, not EVERY mission in the event. Sucks the fun right out of the game.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

intangible posted:

I am really unhappy with the direction they are taking with this game. The core game is great. I love comic books and I love puzzle quest, so basically up until this PvE event, I have been happy. I've even been tossing them $20 every couple of weeks. But now I am so burnt out with the constant grinding and grinding to get high on a leader board only to be bumped out to the poo poo rewards if you have to go take a piss. And having to send in a scrub team to get murdered so the levels of the opponents will go down from 230 is loving silly. The PvE events should have scaled individual missions like they have all along, not EVERY mission in the event. Sucks the fun right out of the game.

Totally agree. I think the leveling system compares really unfavorably to, say, Puzzles and Dragons and is really punitive - you need a large number of lucky slot pulls to get something viable. Not to mention that the recent PVE changes kill any sense of the progression/satisfaction you normally get from upgrading characters, because the enemies immediately scale to an impossible difficulty. And I've always hated the PVP system because of its 'rich get richer' rewards structure - elite covers are rewards for people with teams that are already good enough to take on all comers. If you can't take a team to a top-15 finish, you just fall further behind. I've spent a bunch of $$ on this game chasing Punisher covers, because I'm a sucker for that character, but I'm about done with this.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Oh god, the Funbalancing has fallen upon me. I saw the brief update and hoped against hope that it wasn't time. Maybe it is like Passover and if you paint over your doorway with lamb's blood you will be spared.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Gallow posted:

Oh god, the Funbalancing has fallen upon me. I saw the brief update and hoped against hope that it wasn't time. Maybe it is like Passover and if you paint over your doorway with lamb's blood you will be spared.
Pay 300 HC to shield yourself against Thor/Wolverine nerfs for a week.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What's the preferred build for Origional Black Widow? 5 purple/blue and 3 black?

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
What the hell, they also changed the price of that 3+ all colors to hero coins.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Vin posted:

Well gently caress this game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dizz posted:

What's the preferred build for Origional Black Widow? 5 purple/blue and 3 black?
I think most people leave purple at 3 to keep the cost down and max black instead. If I'm not mistaken, the extra damage you get from higher levels in black will proc strike tiles separately from the triggering match itself, so it can add up quite a bit depending on your team.

Evil Vin posted:

It's still showing as 200 ISO here, but I may not have received the update yet. If that's true though…they just keep coming up with reasons for me not to bother playing this game anymore. Pretty thoughtful of them, actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Afraid of Audio posted:

Well gently caress this game.

Yup, that pretty much seals it for me. I hope they enjoyed the money I spent. I feel cheated and will not spend a dime on another puzzle quest game. Oh a happier note, I had no idea that Puzzles & Dragons was a thing until reading this thread and now I am in the middle of trying to get a good starting leader!