Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bogart posted:

Man, where do you guys live that you can't get any pizza other than chain? I can think of three places within a mile that I can get a drat good pizza from. Maybe that's just an East Coast thing. You know, the East Coast thing: having good pizza.
There's a small pizza place near me that serves a "Texas Cowboy" pizza.

It's got steak tips, friend chicken, bacon, extra cheese, and barbecue sauce on it. It's fuckin' HEAVENLY, but you'll not want to move for at least a few hours after eating some.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah for birthday parties Costco pizza was the go-to and they are really cheap. Better than any of the chain pizzas.

:10bux: for an 18-inch pizza absolutely coated in pepperoni and salami, and some awesome berry smoothies on the side? Yes please :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a small pizza place near me that serves a "Texas Cowboy" pizza.

It's got steak tips, friend chicken, bacon, extra cheese, and barbecue sauce on it. It's fuckin' HEAVENLY, but you'll not want to move for at least a few hours after eating some.

:10bux: for an 18-inch pizza absolutely coated in pepperoni and salami, and some awesome berry smoothies on the side? Yes please :getin:

Everything about that is :911:

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Yoya posted:

Uncharted was a revelation for B tier developers worldwide. You had to copy it down to every detail to get any recognition with some developer circles. Even the dumb sci fi parts.

Equilibrium posted:

Tomb Raider borrows from Uncharted pretty shamelessly, but at least the series has its roots in stupid supernatural poo poo. I agree though the slow build up to end of game reveal was very Uncharted-like in execution.

Have we entered the alternate reality where Uncharted came out before Tomb Raider? Legend came out a year before Uncharted, and even the remake of the first Tomb Raider came out like five months before Uncharted. If you want to see the gameplay roots of Tomb Raider (2013), check out Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld. Crystal Dynamics haven't changed course on their designs for the series that much.

Except for the body count-- that's very Uncharted.

The other stuff (heavily telegraphed ledges, animation cues for traversing them, the scifi bullshit) must have just been flowing in the ether in 2006-2007 between Naughty Dog, Crystal Dynamics, and Ubisoft.

da 2pacolypse
Sep 21, 2005

analofficer
So glad there is a new box city starting already.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Let's be real here, Tomb Raider's arena fights have level design that's basically pulled right out of Uncharted and the setpieces are pretty much Uncharted stuff but less creative, and I say this as someone that played the poo poo out of all the Tomb Raider games post Angel of Darkness.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The whole wide areas of exploration and different climbing routes in Tomb Raider was something way better than Uncharted though. The combat was real fun too.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Yodzilla posted:

The whole wide areas of exploration and different climbing routes in Tomb Raider was something way better than Uncharted though. The combat was real fun too.

Agreed, I love the combat in Tomb Raider, it's actually really fuckin good, like best in class for 3rd person shooters. Easy.

If the setpieces were better it'd literally be one of my favourite games. Something crazy like Uncharted's train fight or the capsizing boat.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Or characters. It's like they spent so much time trying to push the #SURVIVORISBORN story with Lara that they forgot that there should be other personalities too. Outside of Sam (only because Lara shouts her name for half the game) I couldn't tell you the name of any of the other survivors.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Between TR and DmC I'm starting to really get the feeling that the devs are the last people you should listen to when it comes to the characters in a game. Especially through the lense of "yeah this really puts us out into the PR headlines!!!". They just can't stop themselves from putting a wall of horseshit in front of otherwise okay-ish games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

cronox2 posted:

Or characters. It's like they spent so much time trying to push the #SURVIVORISBORN story with Lara that they forgot that there should be other personalities too. Outside of Sam (only because Lara shouts her name for half the game) I couldn't tell you the name any of the other survivors.

There was, uh, Evil Cult Leader, Grizzled Boat Captain, Big Hawaiian Dude (Samoan?), Black Lady (?), Nerdy Evil Scientist (?)

How could you forgot all of those characters sheesh.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Yodzilla posted:

There was, uh, Evil Cult Leader, Grizzled Boat Captain, Big Hawaiian Dude (Samoan?), Black Lady (?), Nerdy Evil Scientist (?)

How could you forgot all of those characters sheesh.

No no! The nerdy guy wasn't evil because he sacrificed himself so Lara could get a wrench.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

cat doter posted:

Let's be real here, Tomb Raider's arena fights have level design that's basically pulled right out of Uncharted and the setpieces are pretty much Uncharted stuff but less creative, and I say this as someone that played the poo poo out of all the Tomb Raider games post Angel of Darkness.

For sure. The combat is the thing that's most clearly influenced by Uncharted-- both the perspective and the endless slaughter. Climbing stuff and thin scifi/fantasy reveals are just part in parcel to the super-archeologist genre.

And, as nice of a character moment as the deer provided, I got the biggest kick out of picking up the 2nd Beretta and unloading (with both triggers) on a curiously resilient Matthias at the end. Compared to the prior Tomb Raider games, and even Uncharted, they did a nice job of humanizing Lara and giving her an establishing arc. Nathan Drake must've come out of the womb quipping and stealing stuff.

I'm really hopeful for the sequel; mostly hopeful for less dude shooting and more puzzle solving. It would be surprising if they had Lara kill so many dudes to find strength in violence just to follow it up with a lot less violence, though.

cronox2 posted:

No no! The nerdy guy wasn't evil because he sacrificed himself so Lara could get a wrench.

Wrong nerdy guy!

Arstan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2014

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

cronox2 posted:

No, you're thinking of the other nerd dude. And neither of your brought up Lara's mentor who gets attacked by wolves and later stabbed.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Is there some place that archives mixlr broadcasts? I seem to be missing them and, well, the ones I've heard are amusing so I was hoping to listen to them somewhere!

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

cronox2 posted:

No no, the other nerdy dude, the professor.

efb

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arstan posted:

I'm really hopeful for the sequel; mostly hopeful for less dude shooting and more puzzle solving. It would be surprising if they had Lara kill so many dudes to find strength in violence just to follow it up with a lot less violence, though.

The game's producer recently likened the sequel to Skyrim, so who knows.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

Arstan posted:

Honestly I hope they double-down on the stealth aspect of the game for a sequel. I approached most of the game sneaking through any combat encounter I could and there was enough of a puzzle there to be really compelling. I haven't played any of the older Tomb Raider games, but making the encounters more stealth oriented could be an interesting way to mix the puzzle aspect and combat.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

dreffen posted:

Is there some place that archives mixlr broadcasts? I seem to be missing them and, well, the ones I've heard are amusing so I was hoping to listen to them somewhere!

Yeah, they'll be on a user's showreel page when they're archived.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

cronox2 posted:

Or characters. It's like they spent so much time trying to push the #SURVIVORISBORN story with Lara that they forgot that there should be other personalities too. Outside of Sam (only because Lara shouts her name for half the game) I couldn't tell you the name of any of the other survivors.

There was nerd guy who gets himself killed trying to impress Lara and you're actually supposed to feel bad for him instead of laugh.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Rinkles posted:

The game's producer recently likened the sequel to Skyrim, so who knows.

That's... a weird comparison to make. I'm not sure what I should read in to that, if anything. Vague comparisons to Skyrim and Dark Souls abound, these days.

I'll assume it means an open world with lots of optional tombs. The tombs were super basic in Tomb Raider, but they were all pretty distinct. I hope they can at least manage that and it doesn't feel like a bunch of familiar tomb parts reassembled with mild variation.

Veev posted:

There was nerd guy who gets himself killed trying to impress Lara and you're actually supposed to feel bad for him instead of laugh.

I felt a little bad for him. You can find a journal from him where he goes on about how impressed he is with the strength Lara shows on the island, and wants to prove that he isn't just a worthless dork.

Then he is.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Arstan posted:

Have we entered the alternate reality where Uncharted came out before Tomb Raider? Legend came out a year before Uncharted, and even the remake of the first Tomb Raider came out like five months before Uncharted. If you want to see the gameplay roots of Tomb Raider (2013), check out Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld. Crystal Dynamics haven't changed course on their designs for the series that much.

Except for the body count-- that's very Uncharted.

The other stuff (heavily telegraphed ledges, animation cues for traversing them, the scifi bullshit) must have just been flowing in the ether in 2006-2007 between Naughty Dog, Crystal Dynamics, and Ubisoft.

This is what's kind of sad about the new Tomb Raider. People used to poke fun at Uncharted for supposedly being a Tomb Raider rip-off when it was really just a robust third person shooter with the lightest elements of platforming and hardly any puzzle elements, and now it's Tomb Raider that's sold its soul to become the Uncharted rip-off.

Tomb Raider: Legend was the start of something that began to look more like Uncharted, yeah, but the gunplay and narrative were still very much backseat to the platforming and puzzles that defined the series. The leap from Underworld to Tomb Raider is massive, hence all of the people upset over how you know, there's no tomb raiding in a Tomb Raider game and why is Lara now a mass-murderer?

Anniversary is its own special thing as a throwback to the glory days of the PSX games, borrowing more from Prince of Persia than anything else, and plays nothing like Tomb Raider 2013. Humans aren't an enemy type. There's loving dinosaurs. Traversal is actually difficult and not something that's immediate obvious to you. It's also not just the best Tomb Raider game, it's one of the best games ever. Nobody bought it though, which is probably why they went in this direction.

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 29, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gotta be honest here, Tomb Raider was infinitely more fun to actually play than Uncharted. The gunplay (and more importantly, the bow) were so much more satisfying. They did a better job in The Last of Us but that still got really repetitive after a while.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah Tomb Raider has better combat than Uncharted and I think it's a better game overall.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010
I picked up Uncharted 3 after Tomb Raider because of how much I liked Tomb Raider and how often people were saying it was trying to be Uncharted and I was disappointed and really hated how Uncharted 3 controlled. It never clicked with me and I never had fun with it.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I've tried all the Uncharted games, and the bullet sponge enemies and braindead puzzles drive me insane. I'd rather watch the cutscenes stitched together on YouTube.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

asahdeaf posted:

I picked up Uncharted 3 after Tomb Raider because of how much I liked Tomb Raider and how often people were saying it was trying to be Uncharted and I was disappointed and really hated how Uncharted 3 controlled. It never clicked with me and I never had fun with it.

I haven't played any of the Uncharteds, but I think 2 is the one people were blown away by.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

asahdeaf posted:

You probably should have asked some people about that game first as when people talk about liking uncharted they are for the most part only ever talking about 2.

Not that would have fixed your combat handling problem but the scenarios and layouts suck way less.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jeff Green killed the same guy who gave Patrick all that humanity on his stream. I'll have to go back and check but the name looked familiar.

Edit: Point is Dark Souls turns you into a stone cold kill who can't tell friend from foe. Beware.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

I haven't played any of the Uncharteds, but I think 2 is the one people were blown away by.

They control basically the same.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Your way works too posted:

You probably should have asked some people about that game first as when people talk about liking uncharted they are for the most part only ever talking about 2.

Not that would have fixed your combat handling problem but the scenarios and layouts suck way less.

Yeah I knew that 3 was a disappointment for people who really liked Uncharted 2, but I ended up with a copy of 3 and thought it'd be an alright way to get a feel for the controls of the series. I disliked playing Uncharted 3 enough that I was worried I wasn't going to like The Last of Us even though I really love stealth games, but I think Naughty Dog really pulled that off well enough outside of a few scenarios.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Manatee Cannon posted:

They control basically the same.

3's aiming was crap when it first came out (rotating the right stick produced a rounded rectangle effect rather than a full circle) and it wasn't patched until a month later.

2 is the one you should play, while 3 is still a good game it's probably the worst of the series.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Uncharted 3 is the reason I don't care about Uncharted 4. It's the Assassin's Creed 3 of the Uncharted franchise.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I think what Tomb Raider and TLoU proved is that sticky cover sucks and I never want to go back to it.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

cronox2 posted:

3's aiming was crap when it first came out (rotating the right stick produced a rounded rectangle effect rather than a full circle) and it wasn't patched until a month later.

2 is the one you should play, while 3 is still a good game it's probably the worst of the series.

I played 3 about a month ago so I don't know how improved the controls were at that point, but I might give 2 a shot at some point if it's convenient for me to pick up if it's that much of a difference between the two.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't play Uncharted 3 until the year after it was released so I don't even know what this camera problem is about. Unless you're playing it without patches you won't notice it either. It's better than the first game though, saying otherwise is some nostalgia talking right there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Equilibrium posted:

I think what Tomb Raider and TLoU proved is that sticky cover sucks and I never want to go back to it.

Yeah smooth cover systems that get out of the player's way are great. The Killzones, Bound in Blood, Far Cry 3, and Battlefield 4 all have fantastic implementations.

Then you play something like Deus Ex: HR (which I love) and it's just loving awful. I think Hitman Absolution had some real clunky poo poo too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arstan posted:

I've tried all the Uncharted games, and the bullet sponge enemies and braindead puzzles drive me insane. I'd rather watch the cutscenes stitched together on YouTube.

Ugh gently caress these people don't die literally the instant I look at them loving bullet sponges.

seriously most enemies take like 4 bullets to die, where the gently caress does the "bullet sponge" complaint come from

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Alouicious posted:

Ugh gently caress these people don't die literally the instant I look at them loving bullet sponges.

seriously most enemies take like 4 bullets to die, where the gently caress does the "bullet sponge" complaint come from

I use it to describe enemies that clearly aren't reacting to getting shot

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When I think Bullet Sponges, I think of Gears of War when it took like a dozen headshots to bring down a mook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It ruled in Gears 1. I think that the enemies were actually tougher than you were, emphasizing the need to stick to cover.

• Locked thread