Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dacap posted:

Here's a better look at the Ninja Turtles designs

Ok, those look pretty good. I take back what I said about the lovely Halloween costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dacap posted:

I love that. It doesn't look like the strange human face looking thing on the costume (which was expected) but I hope it is weirder/beast like even more in the end. Don has some armor/gear, Leo looks like he's got symbols or patterns on his shell.

And yeah, Raph does look bigger and rougher compared to Mikey.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They look like they stepped out of Gears of War, but otherwise I like the outfits.

I just wonder about the tone of the film. Not sure they can play it straight with that look.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want to see that image in HQ. I'm still going to be worried about giving them douchebag "bad rear end tattoos" though. Nothings says lazy character designs like tattoos and piercings in an attempt to make them look tough.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I really want to see that image in HQ. I'm still going to be worried about giving them douchebag "bad rear end tattoos" though. Nothings says lazy character designs like tattoos and piercings in an attempt to make them look tough.

Let's not worry and be fair. They are "TEENAGE" Mutant Ninja Turtles. Nothing says teenage than wanting bad rear end tattoos and piercings in an attempt to look tough and a lot are douchebags.

Besides, it looks like Leo might have some tribal poo poo on his shell.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Those look a lot better than what we saw before, but I'm getting serious Next Mutation vibes from the designs.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gatts posted:

Let's not worry and be fair. They are "TEENAGE" Mutant Ninja Turtles. Nothing says teenage than wanting bad rear end tattoos and piercings in an attempt to look tough and a lot are douchebags.

Besides, it looks like Leo might have some tribal poo poo on his shell.

Aren't they supposed to be aliens instead of mutants in this movie? If that's still the case, I wouldn't count on anything.

Also, Michael Bay.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Chaos Hippy posted:

Aren't they supposed to be aliens instead of mutants in this movie? If that's still the case, I wouldn't count on anything.

Also, Michael Bay.

They were, until someone at the studio said "this is stupid" and made them mutants again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Why don't they just split the teams/characters up and have a couple of movies a year? A Louisiana romance Romeo-Juliet type tale with Gambit, Rogue, whatever as a smaller budget movie. A giant extravaganza with the other guys for the summer. A comedy adventure with Dr. Nemesis. Etc.

Because everybody has their own favorite character and if you have a superhero movie without [popular character X], a bunch of people won't care as much, may not buy tickets. Naturally the solution to this problem is to put everybody in every movie as much as possible.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

Because everybody has their own favorite character and if you have a superhero movie without [popular character X], a bunch of people won't care as much, may not buy tickets. Naturally the solution to this problem is to put everybody in every movie as much as possible.

I think the only solution is to have Hugh Jackman in all of the movies. He'd probably do it too.

And also...Michael Bay.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

That looks fantastic.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, not seeing a problem with those at all. I dig how Raph looks like he's about to wreck someone's day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seeing the reaction to Quicksilver on that Empire cover makes me wonder what would happen is the Avengers 2 version runs around in a helmet and wielding a sword.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This is apparently the Leonardo and Shredder designs

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Here is Donny.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I don't like the Turtles, but that Shredder is sick as hell.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So what are those miniature versions for? This isn't stop motion is it? Or do they do blocking or simulate lighting in miniature or something?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

greatn posted:

So what are those miniature versions for? This isn't stop motion is it? Or do they do blocking or simulate lighting in miniature or something?

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/how-maquettes-used-3d-animation

quote:

As 3-D filming continues to grow in popularity and box-office pop, filmmakers want to make these 3-D worlds as realistic as possible. Often they will build "maquettes" of the characters they create in computers. The maquette is the character's real-world counterpart -- a hand-crafted physical model of the character that filmmakers can use to see exactly how that particular character would look moving through 3-D space. This helps them create more realistic movement and lighting. Maquettes also help provide a common reference point for different animators working on the same character.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The Donatello, Leonardo and a bit of the Raphael remind me of Kris Anka's redesign

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just how VFX-heavy is the movie?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

Okay, I don't like the Turtles, but that Shredder is sick as hell.

Agreed. The faces on the turtles look way to human, but the bodies look pretty mean.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ufarn posted:

Just how VFX-heavy is the movie?

The turtles are mo-capped CG this time, so pretty heavy I guess.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

Ok, those look pretty good. I take back what I said about the lovely Halloween costume.

You shouldn't though, TMNT costumes throughout the ages have been comically hideous.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You are better off tying a wok to your back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently word is that Marvel is so happy with Winter Soldier that they're already asking Anthony and Joe Russo back to direct Captain America 3.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is Leo missing a hand?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Little Mac posted:

Is Leo missing a hand?

Maybe if his fingers are attached directly to his wrist.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Little Mac posted:

Is Leo missing a hand?

He's holding a sword with it, it's a funny angle.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Storm's ridiculous half/rear end cape reminds me of another character in film/television/comics/games that had a similarly atrocious nonsensical half/rear end cape, but I can't remember what charater it was and it's driving me absolutely crazy. Does anyone remember such a thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma Frost's Phoenix 5 costume sometimes has a cape like that. Other times it's just weird arm sleeves. It wasn't consistent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Emma's was aiming for something that looked like a wrap. That'd make sense for her character, strolling around with unimaginable power like she's at some Manhattan gallery opening. Storm, not so much.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So on the one hand, the TMNT designs will look okay in merch format, but on the other...

Congratulations Michael Bay, you have somehow found the exact geographic center of the Uncanny Valley :stare:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hahahaha, they look like the loving Jim Henson Dinosaurs

Turtles don't have lips!

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Hahahaha, they look like the loving Jim Henson Dinosaurs

Turtles don't have lips!

Well, do be honest turtles are also rarely ninjas and the Dinosaurs were cool.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

The real Ninja Turtles starts here.

:darksouls:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

404GoonNotFound posted:

So on the one hand, the TMNT designs will look okay in merch format, but on the other...

Congratulations Michael Bay, you have somehow found the exact geographic center of the Uncanny Valley :stare:

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Jagermonster posted:

Storm's ridiculous half/rear end cape reminds me of another character in film/television/comics/games that had a similarly atrocious nonsensical half/rear end cape, but I can't remember what charater it was and it's driving me absolutely crazy. Does anyone remember such a thing?

Finally figured it out: Loeb's terrible Ultimate Hawkeye (best picture I could find):

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

404GoonNotFound posted:

Seeing those things in a scene with real humans is gonna be Uncanny City.

Jagermonster posted:

Finally figured it out: Loeb's terrible Ultimate Hawkeye (best picture I could find):

That looks more like Kamen Rider Wizard, where they gave him a trenchcoat but made the top half solid so only the skirt part moved.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

boom boom boom posted:

That looks more like Kamen Rider Wizard, where they gave him a trenchcoat but made the top half solid so only the skirt part moved.

Wait.. what.. what are you smoking bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Seeing those things in a scene with real humans is gonna be Uncanny City.

Ohhhh, now I remember why that look is so familiar! It's like the lovely implementation of trenchcoats in City of Heroes, a.k.a. "rear end capes".

• Locked thread