Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a list of "must have" mods anywhere yet?

Also, does anyone have the link to the big list of planets? I can't find it in the OP.

It's not in the OP, it is further down the first page. Though most of the stuff in it is no longer there. I started to mark ones that are missing in this build but gave up because I wanted to do more than sit and punch in coordinates all night just to have no planet be there any more.

Someone also linked to a website that had coordinates on it but I don't know how much that site is updated or if the info is even valid now either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.
Bartwe has a test server up at 66.228.42.26 for the moment. I'm not sure what he's trying to test.

"I've put up a server for testing at 66.228.42.26 it might dissapear at any time."
"well this is weird, i'm failing to raise the number of players on the server above 8 :)"

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Downloaded Combat Overhaul and Bee Gun. About to take both for a spin.

Requesting Nicolas Cage helmet to complement Bee Gun

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Trastion posted:

It's not in the OP, it is further down the first page. Though most of the stuff in it is no longer there. I started to mark ones that are missing in this build but gave up because I wanted to do more than sit and punch in coordinates all night just to have no planet be there any more.

Someone also linked to a website that had coordinates on it but I don't know how much that site is updated or if the info is even valid now either.

http://www.starboundmap.com/ is a decent one, it is still updated. You just need to select the current patch from the dropdown menu when you do a search. You can also submit your own planet finds, so share your planets, goons!

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Temper Trudeau posted:

I don't have enough coal. I tried a matter manipulator mod but it kept crashing the game.

I had the same problem. Grab a pointy stick and go exploring the surface of the planet and you'll find some deposits. Get around 200 fuel in your ship, then go hit the chair up to see what's in your local system. Head to any other planets and run the surface looking for easy ore deposits.

You don't have to completely fuel the ship. 10 wood gives 1 coal out of the smelter and there should be coal scattered around the planet.

I ran into many of the same issues that feel obvious to the longer term players, but stumped me for a bit.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Jersey Mike posted:

http://www.starboundmap.com/ is a decent one, it is still updated. You just need to select the current patch from the dropdown menu when you do a search. You can also submit your own planet finds, so share your planets, goons!

Nice, that does look like a good one.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Hav posted:

I had the same problem. Grab a pointy stick and go exploring the surface of the planet and you'll find some deposits. Get around 200 fuel in your ship, then go hit the chair up to see what's in your local system. Head to any other planets and run the surface looking for easy ore deposits.

You don't have to completely fuel the ship. 10 wood gives 1 coal out of the smelter and there should be coal scattered around the planet.

I ran into many of the same issues that feel obvious to the longer term players, but stumped me for a bit.

It is also pretty easy to setup a tree farm that will produce a lot of wood for you pretty quickly that you can use to convert to coal.

Find (or make) a flat spot near the start spot for the planet. Chop down a couple trees and plant the seeds. Certain trees grow faster than others and are easier to chop down. Pickaxe or Axe will chop faster than matter manipulator will. When the trees grow, chop again and replant. You will always get more seeds than you had before so expanding is easy.

I can usually get a few 1000 stacks in very short time doing this which can then be used to build or create coal.

A lot of times this is much faster than traversing the planet looking for coal deposits.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
e:

Trastion posted:

It is also pretty easy to setup a tree farm that will produce a lot of wood for you pretty quickly that you can use to convert to coal.

Find (or make) a flat spot near the start spot for the planet. Chop down a couple trees and plant the seeds. Certain trees grow faster than others and are easier to chop down. Pickaxe or Axe will chop faster than matter manipulator will. When the trees grow, chop again and replant. You will always get more seeds than you had before so expanding is easy.

I can usually get a few 1000 stacks in very short time doing this which can then be used to build or create coal.

A lot of times this is much faster than traversing the planet looking for coal deposits.

This is way too slow. Plant several-screens-wide of trees above a tall tunnel, then summon the UFO to harvest them for you on the run. :haw:

King Doom posted:

Can you double check these? I'm just getting empty space there.

Not sure what to tell you, I'm playing unmodded vanilla, Furious Koala. Has there been any patching since the initial one on the 26th? (because if so, it's not documented anywhere)

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 29, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
:siren: X -9338481 Y 9059642 Delta Pond 388 VI b (TL4 Arid) Human Mech BP to left of spawn, past Apex labs and an Avian house, high-tech chest in a cavern visible from surface. :siren:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Haha whoops, turns out Chucklefish totally reworked how Bandages are formatted as an item so if you downloaded my Estus Flask mod between Furious Koala coming out and just now, sorry about that, redownload it (because I'm bad at modding).

This is why as much as I love persistent farmables (Why yes I would like these plant fiber dropping trees to actually GROW while I'm prepping to make the Decoy Princess), currently my only Mod, I'm always making sure I have some spare seeds in storage.

Also, man I wish I had tried Apex earlier. Hellsmasher has gone from road warrior, to ninja, to fabulously metal (titanium armor, with the Iron Helmet in cosmetic slot). Having a fresh from start access to full hunger filling banana bread doesn't hurt either.

I also found a Shock Prod which fires a bitchin lightning bolt. Damage wise it's worse than the Titanium spear even if both the stab and bolt hit the target, but the latest world I've been exploring has tons of wind gust spamming enemies so having a projectile better than "Maybe one bar of health, for 1/4 your energy" like the Steel Bow has been great.

That Eye Shield was found so far and meandering underground on whatever drat world I can't even tell yah. Looks like it makes you lower the shield to swing your weapons now (reasonable), just wish you could make shields of each tier for style and possible practical reasons. I'm still hazy on the actual mechanics of shield strength.

In other news, can whoever first discovered that sitting in chairs pauses hunger be sworn in as a saint? Because probably half my time with the game on has been using a chair and dirt cubicle as a pause button while dealing with other things.

Fake Edit: Spear animations are a bit buggy (but at least I missed the Spears Cause crash to desktop bug). If you attack with the spear when it is "behind" you, the attack animation switches it to your foreground (right) arm for the thrust, before it returns to the background arm.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a list of "must have" mods anywhere yet?

Also, does anyone have the link to the big list of planets? I can't find it in the OP.

Whatever mod from Desideratus catches your fancy, and all the other fine and talented Goons.

Also, persistent farmables gently caress yeah persistent farmables. Warning given here and by the author that it will vaporize all your planted crops when you install or remove it, so harvest your stuff first.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Splizwarf posted:

This is way too slow. Plant several-screens-wide of trees above a tall tunnel, then summon the UFO to harvest them for you on the run. :haw:

I like this idea but not sure if it is any faster and you still have to deal with the UFO.

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure what to tell you, I'm playing unmodded vanilla, Furious Koala. Has there been any patching since the initial one on the 26th? (because if so, it's not documented anywhere)

I think he may not have switched sectors to Gamma. If you put coordinates in under the wrong sector there is very little chance that there will be a planet there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's faster, a lot less monotonous, and funny.

Not worth bothering until you can put the UFO down easily, though, I'll grant you that. One person's deadly inferno is another's plan to cook eggs and all that.

-----------------------

Hey goons, want Pulse Jump in the dang Alpha Sector instead of, like, Gamma?

Alpha Ups Sgr 49 I a
X: 91424654
Y: -80180912
Arid
Threat Level: 1

A couple screens west of spawn is an Apex obstacle course with Pulse Jump at the end (end about 2 screens east of entrance for the direct among us). It's the meanest course I've seen so far, so bring a pickaxe and a bunch of wood platforms.

Section Z posted:

In other news, can whoever first discovered that sitting in chairs pauses hunger be sworn in as a saint? Because probably half my time with the game on has been using a chair and dirt cubicle as a pause button while dealing with other things.

Looks like the captain's chair on the ship doesn't count. :(

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 29, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I built a survival system but it doesn't seem to work?! Tried it out underwater and on a moon and i still get the breathing meter. Are you supposed to use a helmet with it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ewe2 posted:

I built a survival system but it doesn't seem to work?! Tried it out underwater and on a moon and i still get the breathing meter. Are you supposed to use a helmet with it?

Did you equip it in your real back slot instead of your vanity back slot?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Did you equip it in your real back slot instead of your vanity back slot?

Ohhh duhh. I thought I could equip a lantern and a SS at the same time. Curse you, sneaky game!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

You can put the lantern in the vanity slot and get the benefits of both! :eng101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kerrrrrrr posted:

You can put the lantern in the vanity slot and get the benefits of both! :eng101:

Really? I thought some tested that and it didn't generate any light.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Ohhh duhh. I thought I could equip a lantern and a SS at the same time. Curse you, sneaky game!

Consider checking out this mod:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/lightdrones.675/

Provides light and upgrades into a survival system as you progress.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Will there be weirdness if I install your mods then log onto the Goon server that's not running any mods? I ask because it seems like there would be a conflict with Exploration Enhanced's additional biomes, and the different mechanics of the combat mod.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

:getin: :rock: :flame:

Do I need to say any more?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Don't install any mod that adds new assets and go onto a multiplayer server is kind of the baseline of "Will it work on Multiplayer?"

Desideratus' gun mod, for example, doesn't add any new assets and simply modifies existing assets and code, so if you find a gun using his mod and go on a server it'll be fine.

Desideratus' Exploration Enhanced, for example, adds a bunch of new stuff (light drones, fission lamp, rocksaws, flareguns), new biomes (although this probably wouldn't be too big of a deal as the server is the one loading all the worlds, so you'd just never run into any of the new biomes), so most of the new assets would just not load / not work in multiplayer.

Now, if the server is running Exploration Enhanced then it's 100% fine.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
A little clarification on the Exploration Enhanced module...

It'll wipe all world data upon install but will my ship/inventory maintain?

I haven't started a base anywhere and I would like to see some new worlds/biomes.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

m.hache posted:

A little clarification on the Exploration Enhanced module...

It'll wipe all world data upon install but will my ship/inventory maintain?

I haven't started a base anywhere and I would like to see some new worlds/biomes.

Your character and ship will be fine. Exploration Enhanced just changes the universe files.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

Your character and ship will be fine. Exploration Enhanced just changes the universe files.

How does this affect the coordinates that people are posting? Like if I wanted to go get a pulse jump from the goon coords will it be different?

Also, I host a server from my computer that my buddy connects to. Will this mess with him at all?

EDIT: I see that there are drones in the exploration mod as well. Do they offer the same environment protection that the lightdrones mod offer? If not I assume there are no compatibility issues (Didn't see anything in the mod post).

m.hache fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 29, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Question for people who make Dungeons.

I'm going to be working on some Arms Dealers for my next Mantizi update. I want to build 'em a small building, nothing too fancy. I kind of get how I'm supposed to actually go about doing that, and any other stuff I can reverse engineer from working files.

But how am I supposed to test this, exactly? Do I have to go find a new one with every small revision? If it's going to be that big of a pain in the rear end, I just won't do it, and focus my efforts elsewhere.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

Don't install any mod that adds new assets and go onto a multiplayer server is kind of the baseline of "Will it work on Multiplayer?"

Desideratus' gun mod, for example, doesn't add any new assets and simply modifies existing assets and code, so if you find a gun using his mod and go on a server it'll be fine.

Desideratus' Exploration Enhanced, for example, adds a bunch of new stuff (light drones, fission lamp, rocksaws, flareguns), new biomes (although this probably wouldn't be too big of a deal as the server is the one loading all the worlds, so you'd just never run into any of the new biomes), so most of the new assets would just not load / not work in multiplayer.

Thanks for the clarification. Installing now :downs:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, I'm in an Apex town, and I used a record player or whatever that makes monkey noises and now all the Apex are begging me not to kill them. I don't have any weapons equipped. What gives?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Babyface Mingo posted:

To add to this: Things will usually work on your end (Client-side); For instance, the light bots in EE will still shed light that you can see. Because the bots are not stock assets, other players will not see them, but the light they shed IS all stock, so they'll see the light. A new gun will work if it's using a vanilla projectile, but nobody will be able to see the gun part; New weapon projectiles won't work, since when your game tells the server that you hit X thing with Y bullet, the server is all "nope there is no Y bullet". Hope that makes sense :)

Be aware, Exploration Enhanced will probably cause some degree of multiplayer weirdness, up to and including straight breaking poo poo!

Here's my solution for EE/MP:
I have an extra folder in my Starbound/mods directory called "DON'T USE", and two different characters (A SP and MP). When I wanna do singleplayer and use EE, everything is normal. When I wanna do multiplayer, before loading the game I put EE into the "DON'T USE" folder, so that the game won't recognize it; I can then play the game MP no problem. When I go back to SP, again before I load the game I just move it back up one, to the mods folder proper.

Be aware that loading your EE file without EE will wipe your singleplayer worlds; Fortunately loading your MP character with EE shouldn't wipe anything because worlds are serverside; You'll probably just need to quit the game and remove EE before MP will work right.

I've not had any issues with this method, but I still feel like I should put a disclaimer that if poo poo breaks, I am sorry, but it's probably not my fault :v:

m.hache posted:

How does this affect the coordinates that people are posting? Like if I wanted to go get a pulse jump from the goon coords will it be different?

EDIT: I see that there are drones in the exploration mod as well. Do they offer the same environment protection that the lightdrones mod offer? If not I assume there are no compatibility issues (Didn't see anything in the mod post).
Coordinates are not cross-compatible with Vanilla/EE; the worlds are totally different.
My drones are tiered differently than the lightdrones, and do not provide air (I like having to cheese between light and heat, and it makes Dark Moons super-tense). They do not conflict, so feel free to run both!

Babe Magnet posted:

Question for people who make Dungeons.

I'm going to be working on some Arms Dealers for my next Mantizi update. I want to build 'em a small building, nothing too fancy. I kind of get how I'm supposed to actually go about doing that, and any other stuff I can reverse engineer from working files.

But how am I supposed to test this, exactly? Do I have to go find a new one with every small revision? If it's going to be that big of a pain in the rear end, I just won't do it, and focus my efforts elsewhere.
You should be able to add them in, then you'll need to find one. I think if you test multiple iterations, the same dungeon will still spawn at the same spot on the same planet, just with whatever changes you add; At least that's how it seemed to work for me!

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Desideratus posted:

I have an extra folder in my Starbound/mods directory called "DON'T USE", and two different characters (A SP and MP). When I wanna do singleplayer and use EE, everything is normal. When I wanna do multiplayer, before loading the game I put EE into the "DON'T USE" folder, so that the game won't recognize it; I can then play the game MP no problem. When I go back to SP, again before I load the game I just move it back up one, to the mods folder proper.

Be aware that loading your EE file without EE will wipe your singleplayer worlds; Fortunately loading your MP character with EE shouldn't wipe anything because worlds are serverside; You'll probably just need to quit the game and remove EE before MP will work right.

I've not had any issues with this method, but I still feel like I should put a disclaimer that if poo poo breaks, I am sorry, but it's probably not my fault :v:

Awesome, I was wondering if that would work considering I've got my own homebrew mods I ported over from Angry Koala that would potentially cause MP weirdness, good to know there's an easy fix.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I am the Lorax and I speak for the trees!

Don't know how common these are but a desert planet at -36760283, 80156011 in alpha has truffula trees. I feel a strange need to plant a whole damned planet of these. I'll ask that you do the same, if you please.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Desideratus posted:

You should be able to add them in, then you'll need to find one. I think if you test multiple iterations, the same dungeon will still spawn at the same spot on the same planet, just with whatever changes you add; At least that's how it seemed to work for me!

So not as big of a pain in the rear end as I thought it would be, but still... not looking forward to it.

I'll have to get some bros to help me locate one after I release the update, in that case. This update, which should be done tonight if I don't get bored and start work on my Skyrim mod again, is going to be Tier8 armor and the arms dealers/dungeon.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

IAmTheRad posted:

Holy loving poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

m.hache posted:

Consider checking out this mod:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/lightdrones.675/

Provides light and upgrades into a survival system as you progress.

That looks fantastic, thanks! I can't believe I progressed so far in this game and not grokked vanity slots. You've no idea how painful the other sectors have been :doh:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Found a nice T10 planet with a bunch of surface chests, half a dozen boss mobs, and a tech chest that had a Targeted Blink.

X -20593506 Y -45725443, X Unukalhai 43 IV

Also, if you like guns then get Desideratus's Combat Overhaul Mod because :iia:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Holy loving poo poo

All hail pyromaniac Lincoln!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info Desideratus.

I'll just install the EE mod and my friend can download it too or deal with playing single player :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Desideratus posted:

I'm no Boris Grishenko, but it seems to me you could use a pair of batch files to automate this if there's a command line for booting each game format (multi/single), and dodge any wipe bullets.

The same idea would probably be pretty useful for making a backup of all your characters into a timestamped folder every time you boot either format (which would help a lot with mods-in-multiplayer oopsies).

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Splizwarf posted:

Route to a world.

Hah, thanks! finally found the place! (right after finding two tech chests with morph ball in them on a different world). It's worth pointing out that every normal chest on this world had a hat or outfit in it when I went through, for anyone else interested. Even found what I think is Milla Jovovich's outfit from Fifth Element.

Oh, and hey, for the guy taking mod requests, would it be possible to build a version of the refinery that allows you to throw in junk weapons/shields/torches and turn them into pixels or raw materials? at least till the devs add the ability to sell things, anyway.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

IAmTheRad posted:

Bob NewSCART posted:

Holy loving poo poo

Just so everyone is on the same page, this is one of the new projectile types from my Combat Overhaul mod.

m.hache posted:

Thanks for the info Desideratus.

I'll just install the EE mod and my friend can download it too or deal with playing single player :colbert:
No prob, I'm happy to help; I'd actually love a trip report of multiplayer EE, as far as I know nobody has extensively hosted an EE server yet. As always, drop me a line if you find any bugs or other weirdness, and I'll have a fix out within an hour of seeing your message :)

Splizwarf posted:

I'm no Boris Grishenko, but it seems to me you could use a pair of batch files to automate this if there's a command line for booting each game format (multi/single), and dodge any wipe bullets.

The same idea would probably be pretty useful for making a backup of all your characters into a timestamped folder every time you boot either format (which would help a lot with mods-in-multiplayer oopsies).
:effort:

King Doom posted:

Oh, and hey, for the guy taking mod requests, would it be possible to build a version of the refinery that allows you to throw in junk weapons/shields/torches and turn them into pixels or raw materials? at least till the devs add the ability to sell things, anyway.
[farnsworth]Good news everyone![/farnsworth]
The thing I'm working on now has this, as well as a batch-smelter and batch-refinery. I'm currently having an issue with getting recipes to show up, but fear not: I am working on it!

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Probably not, because the reason for wipes is because of incompatibility issues between the new version of the executable and and old save data. It's not like they do wipes just for shits and giggles.

• Locked thread