Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sofullofhate posted:

Stolen from fark:

A fantastic AI obituary.

Sounds like a guy I'd have liked to meet.

Goddamn.

Rest in piece, Buzzy. You deserve it :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

they've got some shadow weirdness going on when you compare them to the tank's

The figures in the foreground are being artificially lit.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I have no idea where I originally got this, just that it came from AI. I have the most random poo poo on my harddrive and no idea where most of it even originated :v:

Hell, come to think of it, AI is where my custom title came from.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Wanna see the rest of that CLK. Any more pictures of that?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
" The family hopes you might forgive him the cuss that he became at the end"

Forgiven.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think cars are supposed to be that see-thru

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

T1g4h posted:

I have no idea where I originally got this, just that it came from AI. I have the most random poo poo on my harddrive and no idea where most of it even originated :v:

I don't know the original source, but the first place I saw that was on Jalopnik. So it was probably stolen from somewhere else.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gunbus posted:

Wanna see the rest of that CLK. Any more pictures of that?

Here's the build thread. It has a 1UZ. The dude is awesome. :3:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/179857-mercedes-clk-1uz-powered.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Still need to catch up on this thread, but saw this on facebook. Pretty sure a 4x4 camaro with a plow wraps right back around to awesome, I'd rock it if I was Mad Max.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Look. At this loving thing. That's not a ramjet on the driver's side fender like I hoped it was, it's a carb plenum.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

T1g4h posted:

Wait so the miata is a family car and the 4.0 is the eco friendly option? I feel like some of those lines are incorrectly labeled...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Mister Kingdom posted:

The car has been canceled due to hilariously low sales - 150 units of of an expected 4,000.
Funnily enough, I've seen one tooling about the Scottish Borders for the last couple months.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wounded Unicorn posted:

Look. At this loving thing. That's not a ramjet on the driver's side fender like I hoped it was, it's a carb plenum.

How does it cool the engine?

E: or steer. Is this some kind of salt flat car?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

It's so loving cool all on its own the radiator is unneccessary

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It doesn't steer, poo poo just gets out of its way

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

veedubfreak posted:

E: or steer. Is this some kind of salt flat car?

Correct, Bonneville car.

Check out these other salt flat ICBMs:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 28, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
LSR cars make me hard.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I went and had a look at thrust 2 and ssc earlier in the week. They are mental.

Apologies for the awful pics they keep them really cramped and badly lit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wounded Unicorn posted:

That HAS to be a Buick Straight-8 under there. It MUST be.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Link to the Hot Rod article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olhJD6Qu9js

Either a different engine or intake setup, it's very common for a LSR car to be able to accept many radically different engines so that the same car can pursue more than one record. Records are most commonly grouped by displacement.

e- 165mph, hahahaha that's insane

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Short enough video to throw in here I think.
Airbagged trailer. Im sure its been done before but this guys design is pretty slick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikzm_4Adz3U
edit: \/ It IS very expensive. For that money Id expect it to be fully enclosed.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Short enough video to throw in here I think.
Airbagged trailer. Im sure its been done before but this guys design is pretty slick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikzm_4Adz3U

$12 grand. What the hell. How could that possibly be more expensive to build than a nissan versa.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Because you can't set up an assembly line, place an order for recurring JIT deliveries of parts for ten thousand units, and then roll them off the line every 30 seconds directly into the hands of buyers you already have lined up just for the occasion?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

$12 grand. What the hell. How could that possibly be more expensive to build than a nissan versa.

What Kastein said. In manufacturing volume and a guaranteed customer base makes all the difference in the world. That's why we made 50 specialized washers for one customer at a cost of $10 each, but if they bought enough that it justified making a tool and running them on a press we can make them for $10 per thousand. Assuming they're ordering at least 2 million of course.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Ok, I have a problem, I should be studying for my exam, but instead I'm looking at old racing pictures

Citroen 2CV at the start of the 1954 Mille Miglia

Lotus Eleven as driven by Colin Chapman at the 1956 Sebring 12 hours, accident during practice

A Porsche 550RS ran out of fuel at the Mulsane straight Le Mans 1957

Elva Mk.9 at the 1959 Sebring 12 hours, went on to finish 23rd overall

Maserati Tipo 60 Birdcage driven by Stirling Moss and Masten Gregory at the 1960 Sebring

Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Zagato at Le Mans 1960

Porsche 718 RSK of Stirling Moss and Phil Hill Targa Florio 1961

Shelby Cobra ahead of a Ferrari 250 GTO, Daytona 3 hours 1963

Ford GT40 driven by Phil Hill and Bruce McLaren at Nurburgring 1000km 1964

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I went and had a look at thrust 2 and ssc earlier in the week. They are mental.

Apologies for the awful pics they keep them really cramped and badly lit.

Coventry Transport Museum?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

echoplex posted:

Coventry Transport Museum?

That's where they live, yeah. I haven't been there in a few years which is a bit poo poo considering I pass it virtually every day. I love the gatherings of cars they get together outside in the summer, just wandering into town on a Saturday afternoon and seeing a whole load of Americana is pretty awesome. There was a gaggle of Corvettes at one point from Stingray up to virtually brand spanking new. Oh and this random ratrod...

I should really keep an eye on the events schedule and see what's gonna turn up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

That's where they live, yeah. I haven't been there in a few years which is a bit poo poo considering I pass it virtually every day. I love the gatherings of cars they get together outside in the summer, just wandering into town on a Saturday afternoon and seeing a whole load of Americana is pretty awesome. There was a gaggle of Corvettes at one point from Stingray up to virtually brand spanking new. Oh and this random ratrod...

I should really keep an eye on the events schedule and see what's gonna turn up.

I didn't know you lived here. The corvette thing was for that TV show with that cockney lets have a deal bloke.
I've been a few times but first time I've seen the thrusts.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I didn't know you lived here.

For my sins, yeah. I've seen you posting about stuff around Birmingham way before now.

Never knew the Corvette selection was for a TV show. Jag day is usually pretty cool though last year they parked them right in the centre of town so people could have a proper nose.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

88h88 posted:

I went there last year mostly to see the Prometheus truck - I was working at Pinewood during filming but never got to have a chance to check them out - and to see their sad-looking DMC. It's pretty neat; I remember Gayden being fairly dull and completely devoid of any exotica - seeing the last MG Metro off the production line or whatever only has so much allure. Never been to Beaulieu or the Haynes one.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That's certainly a way to enter a corner.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Am I the only one who's first though was "Why is that pig going around a corner backwards and sideways?"

Because the back end of that car looks like the face of a pig.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Saw this while shopping so sorry for the phone pic, very rare to see any big old american cars in the UK, let alone this massive land barge. Guy had a bunch of parts on the backseat so it looks like he is restoring it, and when he pulled away he gunned it pretty hard, it sounded like the world was ending in the most awesome way :devil:

Plymouth Fury III

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

DesperateDan posted:

Saw this while shopping so sorry for the phone pic, very rare to see any big old american cars in the UK, let alone this massive land barge. Guy had a bunch of parts on the backseat so it looks like he is restoring it, and when he pulled away he gunned it pretty hard, it sounded like the world was ending in the most awesome way :devil:

Plymouth Fury III

That thing looks comically large next to all those tiny cars. It is quite nice though. I'm assuming you have to import those? Or did they actually sell them at some point?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

subx posted:

That thing looks comically large next to all those tiny cars. It is quite nice though. I'm assuming you have to import those? Or did they actually sell them at some point?

It's LHD so I'm guessing it's an import.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

subx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJ-LAXJofw

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

subx posted:

There have been very few official imports of US-market cars to the UK, it's almost always a personal import or something brought over by someone in the military that never found its way home.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

There have been very few official imports of US-market cars to the UK, it's almost always a personal import or something brought over by someone in the military that never found its way home.

It's still hilarious what kind of poo poo ends up over there. on pistonheads a while back there was a 7.3 ford excursion for sale for 13k gbp. with like 60,000 miles. That's cheaper than you can get them for here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of which, I always crack up when I see this picture:

The world's most expensive auto transport ship -

(a US nuclear aircraft carrier going to a foreign base for a deployment... they decided to save money shipping the crew members personal vehicles and loaded up.)