Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
One of my favorite things to do in UO was on a player run shard. You load up pack horses with explosion potions and place them all around West Brit bank. When the areas around them were sufficiently crowded with people you cast a recall say "all drop" and hit your rune.

Hundreds of explosion potions falling out of horses and counting down in tandem, 20-30 people falling over dead, and me there to loot them all on my stealther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm glad this thread is still around.

The only griefing I ever did was Team Fortress Classic, where if you were good, you could quickly slow down most of a team's flagrunners as a spy. Once they fixed the netcode and people actually got cable internet the spy's tranq gun, which wasn't hitscan, would hit much more reliably and slow people down to 1/4 speed for about 30 seconds. Then you could pick them off, backstab them, or let your team take care of them.

This made everyone flip out because it was basically a death sentence (but not really, this time I'm going to survive!...and I'm dead. Dammit).

The slowdown was such an incredibly jarring effect (because with bunnyhopping the game was essentially as fast as competitive quake 3) that I got a lot of people trained to suicide immediately rather than deal with the effects.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

While I'm on the topic, there was one clan called House of Pain that used to specialize in off kilter defensive strats. One of their best involved using three spies on defense (where one would only occasionally be used on offense on some maps) for Badlands rather than a Hw, two soldiers, a demo man, and engineer.

Badlands objective was a flag in a silo that the enemy had to drop into to carry out the flag.

House of Pain figured out that you could have three spies constantly throwing their secondary grenades (they spawned right next to the silo with 4 apiece), which were hallucinatory pills (it would play sounds and explosions, and show you stuff that wasn't occurring) that had a mild pushback effect (amplified with multiple pills) with damage over time.

The net effect was freeing up 6 people total on their team to go on offense and dominating the other team, while the enemy team offense floated gently to the bottom of the silo, stoned out of their gourds on lsd and hallucinating, and then dying.

It necessitated a rules change.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When I played Starsiege: Tribes there was a mod for it called Annihilation. Annihilation did several cool things to the game because the dude who wrote it was a programming wizard who knew exactly how to flip the game on its head. In addition to a very wide variety of explosives-heavy weaponry, you could call in dropships, erect a jail, plant a very wide variety of automatic and manual defenses, and much of it never checked for collision detection unless it was within range of a static object that came stock with the map, so you could use your deployables to gently caress with other deployables.

Here are a few of my favorite griefs:

Laser Turret Sniping - Among the wide variety of deployable turrets, the most broken was the laser Turret. It looked like a small surveillance camera, had near-infinite range, locked nearly instantly, and could 1-hit kill everyone but heavy classes, which left them with just enough HP to not survive the other 1000 laser turrets complementing that one. Now, on the server I frequented, it was a house rule that you weren't allowed to deploy turrets on the enemy half of the map, which seemed fair because despite being capture the flag, every game almost always devolved into a pissing match to see which team can infest their base with the most bullshit impenetrable defenses, and it took a highly concentrated effort to break that. What a lot of players didn't know though, was that at a command console, you can manually control any deployed turret belonging to your team. I would deploy a turret out in the middle of nowhere, but still within view of all the chaos going outside, and pick off players the instant they fluttered out of their base. Most of these players fly predictably and are easy pickings. Players weren't used to being zapped by laser turrets that weren't plastered all over the enemy base, so when I started to break the status quo and lock down their base with a puny but highly lethal laser turret, I was constantly being raged at and people were always trying to votekick me despite technically not breaking any of the rules. I managed to get banned from 3 other servers for doing this.

Spectator nuking - Remember how I mentioned that Annihilation games boiled down to turret-farming pissing contests? Well, angry players who felt that turrets broke the spirit of the game (which they did) would teamkill those turrets. Teamkilling a turret gave you a warning, and repeating that behavior would autoban you from the server for 48 hours. Unfortunately, the game only ran that check on members of your own team, and any objects created by a player would persist under any condition. If you deployed something and left the game, it would still be there. If you fired a shot and went to spectator, that projectile would persist until it hit something. See where I'm going here? I found a way to demolish my own team's defenses without getting autobanned. There was an armor class called the Titan, and one of its available weapons was the Mini-Nuke launcher, which is exactly how it sounds. It launcher mini nukes that would persist for about 6 seconds before going off, but the reload speed was about 2.5 seconds. I would launch two nukes and swap to spectator mode before they exploded. Anyone and anything caught in the blast was disintegrated, and I don't acquire any teamkill warnings since the killfeed would just turn up a blank where the killers name would go. I would constantly do this, sometimes to both teams. Only one person ever figured out what I was doing and he joined in too.

Jail Time - Another feature of Annihilation centered around sabotage. There was a class called the Chameleon which functioned much like TF2's spy class, except attacking people didn't drop your disguise. You had a chance to instantly kill people just by coming into contact with them, but it was a low chance. Their purpose was to sneak in, plant explosives, and blow up as much poo poo as they could. To make planting bombs easier, there was a feature called Jailing. First, you needed to erect a Jail Tower, which was easy enough. You could place them anywhere on the terrain. ANYWHERE. I frequented the out of bounds grid, which bounced you back when you touched it. If you found a way past it, it would slowly melt your health away. You could plant these towers on the other side of the out of bounds grid, which I did. I would find the most remote corner of the map and set up shop. To jail people, you just had to zap people with the Jail Gun. It fired tiny arcs of lightning that would instantly warp your victim into jail. Since Chameleons didn't break cover, you could just waltz into a turret-infested base like you owned it, and jail everybody unfortunate enough to cross your path. Being jailed lasted 60 seconds where they couldn't do anything except wait, and people would completely lose their poo poo since suiciding and team-switching was disabled inside, and I mean rage-fueled incomprehensible madness, like they had forsaken all humanity and have been reduced to the mindset of a frenzied chimp. There was no cooldown or grace period after begin jailed either, once someone got out of jail, they'd be forced to slowly die as they were out of bounds, or commit suicide to get back to their base to spawn, only for me to be there waiting with the Jail Gun waiting to send them back. People could be broken out of jail by having an unjailed teammate press a switch on the outside of the jail tower, but that's why I placed them out of bounds. If you were a jailer, your entire experience consisted of nerdrage, racial slurs, votekick attempts, etc. My clan had people registering to our forums in droves to bitch us out because I liked jailing. And it was considered kosher by the admins, because the reasoning was "shoot the Chameleon before he jails you, dipshit."

I have a few other Annihilation griefs, I'll write them later.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 29, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

sitchelin posted:

Jail Time - Another feature of Annihilation centered around sabotage. There was a class called the Chameleon which functioned much like TF2's spy class, except attacking people didn't drop your disguise. You had a chance to instantly kill people just by coming into contact with them, but it was a low chance. Their purpose was to sneak in, plant explosives, and blow up as much poo poo as they could. To make planting bombs easier, there was a feature called Jailing. First, you needed to erect a Jail Tower, which was easy enough. You could place them anywhere on the terrain. ANYWHERE. I frequented the out of bounds grid, which bounced you back when you touched it. If you found a way past it, it would slowly melt your health away. You could plant these towers on the other side of the out of bounds grid, which I did. I would find the most remote corner of the map and set up shop. To jail people, you just had to zap people with the Jail Gun. It fired tiny arcs of lightning that would instantly warp your victim into jail. Since Chameleons didn't break cover, you could just waltz into a turret-infested base like you owned it, and jail everybody unfortunate enough to cross your path. Being jailed lasted 60 seconds where they couldn't do anything except wait, and people would completely lose their poo poo since suiciding and team-switching was disabled inside, and I mean rage-fueled incomprehensible madness, like they had forsaken all humanity and have been reduced to the mindset of a frenzied chimp. There was no cooldown or grace period after begin jailed either, once someone got out of jail, they'd be forced to slowly die as they were out of bounds, or commit suicide to get back to their base to spawn, only for me to be there waiting with the Jail Gun waiting to send them back. People could be broken out of jail by having an unjailed teammate press a switch on the outside of the jail tower, but that's why I placed them out of bounds. If you were a jailer, your entire experience consisted of nerdrage, racial slurs, votekick attempts, etc. My clan had people registering to our forums in droves to bitch us out because I liked jailing. And it was considered kosher by the admins, because the reasoning was "shoot the Chameleon before he jails you, dipshit."

That is brilliant and I can just imagine the utter fury. The suicide being disabled is the icing on the cake -- 60 seconds of limbo (which is an eternity in a game) followed by guaranteed death.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sometimes I would park a laser turret outside to zap them when their time was up. To be even more dickish I would just hang outside the cell and re-jail them when the timer ran out.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So on a certain other board's Rust server, some players pooled their resources into a nice little apartment/hotel. It was a peaceful place, where the peaceful players congregated. Until Batman shows up:

:nws: naughty language :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3pSqq9I00s

While searching for drugs, Batman kills arrests several individuals who are carelessly discharging their weapons, as well as probably holding drugs for nefarious purposes. After this incident, the entire hotel armed themselves and began waylaying people pre-emptively and degenerated into all-out banditry. I blame the charcoal black meth that we found all over the place in multiple cook sites.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 30, 2014

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
After reading the Mortal Online story in this thread (which works pretty well) I decided to give the game a go, and it's perfect for griefing - it's basically a 3d first person Ultima Online, skill system, rules and all.

When you die, you drop all of your items and if you died as a criminal anybody can take them without penalty. There is a pickpocketing skill which lets you steal items and money from people with a risk of getting caught and killed. Pickpocketing items flags them as stolen but doesn't flag you as a criminal (freely killable and guards attack you on sight), while looting items flagged as stolen does make you a criminal. They also remain flagged as stolen if somebody dies with them. This all adds up to a pretty funny (and profitable) grief I just witnessed:

A naked man stole a decent amount of money from someone and intentionally died in the bank (a busy area with lots of guards). This left a pile of loot which anyone could take from - including the money they stole. Seeing the loot, people would come up, take the money, and instantly get killed by the guards for picking up stolen property. At this point they'd drop all of their stuff, allowing the griefer (or whoever else was nearby and worked out what was happening) to steal it without penalty and leaving the money still flagged as stolen in a new corpse for some other idiot to try to take. This caught out at least 6 people in the 30 or so minutes that I was watching, and since the bank is meant to be relatively safe some of them were carrying some pretty nice stuff.

MO seems like the type of game that a goon clan could really do some damage in, but I don't know if people would be interested in giving it a go.

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 30, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Abe Frohman posted:

One of my favorite things to do in UO was on a player run shard. You load up pack horses with explosion potions and place them all around West Brit bank. When the areas around them were sufficiently crowded with people you cast a recall say "all drop" and hit your rune.

Hundreds of explosion potions falling out of horses and counting down in tandem, 20-30 people falling over dead, and me there to loot them all on my stealther.

Horse-Borne IEDs. Brilliant.

A very simplified version of this existed in Call of Duty 4. There were automobiles littered across maps which could be shot until they explode, potentially killing anyone nearby. The trick was that you could knife out the window and throw packs of C4 on the seat or floorboard, where it would be totally invisible without a specific perk (that almost noone used).

All you'd have to do is find a good overwatch point, pull out your clacker and boom goes the VBIED. The explosion radius was fairly large as well, so you'd potentially get multiple enemies in the blast if they were clumped up.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

In the Warcraft III expansion pack, one of the new heroes (controllable mega-units you used alongside your army) was the Warden. The warden was a night elf unit that had a teleport, as well as an ability called Fan of Knives, which, you guessed it, literally expelled an AOE of knives.

Much like any other RTS, you need to build farms to increase your population count. Night Elf farms also had an ability that restored neighboring units' health and mana.

One Warden, with enough moon wells, meant that you could just slam knives out of your rear end forever, and if you came close to dying, you could teleport back to your base, stock up and free HP and mana, then teleport back out to the fray and keep killing everyone else's armies.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There is a game mode for Garry's Mod called Zombie Survival. It's basically like Zombie Panic Source or the old COunter-Strike Source zombie mod except with a huge emphasis on the survivors building blockades or "cades" so they can have a straight shot at the zombies but the zombies cannot enter without clawing away at the props. In order to properly make cades, you would have to grab nails from a supply crate someone dropped (for a fee) then nail props together.

Of course, this could easily become a problem because there would be completely new people on the server who would stand there going "HOW DO I MAKE A CADE" and then the few that would bother to try blockading would make something a zombie could either knock down easily or slip through. Also, if you wanted to be a dick you could un-nail props and throw them away. Purposefully trapping players outside the cade so they'd get murdered by zombies was also a common thing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man as far as Night Elf play on Warcraft 3 ladder goes, there was some really abusive stuff you could as and against the race do by knowing the basic Night Elf mechanics, as they were one of the more technically and mechanically difficult races to play properly.

For example, Night Elf workers had no autoattack and therefore no easy way to stop enemy buildings on their base (most buildings were so weak as they were building up that other races' workers could stop them from going up). They had attacking buildings to offset this, but standard Night Elf play was to put your first Ancient of War (an attacking building that functions as their barracks) on a creep camp to speed up the process, then uprooting said building and placing it in their base proper or setting up a future camp to clear with it. This meant that if a night elf player placed their Altar and Moon Well improperly at the start of the match you could put your own farm or moon well in a second spot to block in their hero on spawn, since they'd basically have no units aside from the hero that could actually kill buildings.

Taking this one level further, in a night elf mirror on certain maps (Terenas Stand especially) you could take advantage of this even without poor moon well placement by your opponent by taking a wisp early and building your own Ancient of War between their Altar and Moon Well and their tree line, or even better, next to their Entangled Gold Mine. Their own Ancient of War would take forever to trudge down while yours backed up by the Priestess of the Moon (one of the two ranged heroes available to night elves) would kill their altar or entangled gold mine and all their lumber gathering wisps. Because you sat your ancient next to their tree line it could keep itself healthy against early game attacks by eating your opponent's trees.

Lastly, in an non-NE example, there's one of my friends' favorite griefing strategies of the shade wall. The Undead got a unit called the Shade that had a model size and therefore could block units but were permanently invisible and had no autoattacks. This is pretty much an extension of the Brood War Dark Templar wall strategy. This was really easy to counter but was utterly hilarious against people that didn't think to check for invisible units, since the Undead don't have a lot of invis mechanics other than this and burrowing crypt fiends (also a potent strategy in and of itself).

The ladder itself also basically let you grief allies. There was no way to unset alliances in match-made random team play, but you could command-attack allied units. This meant that you could do something like say "i'll go air/siege" and mass Frost Wyrms / Chimeras / Siege Engines (not particularly powerful but Chimeras were very good at destroying buildings) while your allies massed bears or crypt fiends and you could auto their base down and if they weren't particularly observant you could claim an enemy hit them while they weren't looking. Also, there were items that let you teleport friendly units whether or not you controlled them to your town portal, already possibly a nuisance, but one of them would also stun the unit teleported and heal it until it healed to full. Using this on an allied hero when it was at half health could lead to hilarity.

There's really a lot more abusive stuff (depending on whether your definition includes Tower Rushes, Invis Mortars, Critter teleports, etc) but I don't think most of it counts as griefing. Warcraft III was already inherently about frustrating your opponents to death since the dominant strategies all involved minor skirmishes and resource stealing as opposed to decisive conflict in the early game.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 30, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
X-posting from the Schadenfruede thread

HaB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs

As for what's going on here, the Invader (red phantom) has invaded and found someone who is wearing starter gear and using a beginner weapon - so he thinks he's going to get an easy kill. He toys with his victim for a bit and then the "victim" parries an attack (when you see the invader recoil) and does a rapid weapon switch to one of the strongest weapons in the game (that MASSIVE axe) and one-shots the invader. So much for easy victim.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Infinite Monkeys posted:

MO seems like the type of game that a goon clan could really do some damage in, but I don't know if people would be interested in giving it a go.
There was a group of us back when Mortal Online launched, and our griefing was based out of the desert town. I particularly enjoyed sniping people from its rooftops, where it was difficult for the guards (and players) to reach.

However there simply wasn't enough content to hold interest, and the playerbase whining to GMs (in what was supposedly a PvP game) got old quick.

How's the game now? I took a brief glance when it went on Steam and the world seemed just as empty as it did at launch.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I've had fun with it, it doesn't seem as busy as I'd like but there are definitely people around to gently caress with. Another simple but fun grief in MO is leaping in front of people as they swing at NPCs, causing them to hit you which allows you to kill them without penalty - the guards will even help out and near-instakill them if they're nearby!

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I've had fun with it, it doesn't seem as busy as I'd like but there are definitely people around to gently caress with. Another simple but fun grief in MO is leaping in front of people as they swing at NPCs, causing them to hit you which allows you to kill them without penalty - the guards will even help out and near-instakill them if they're nearby!

Just spent the last four hours doing this in the newbie area with all the pigs. The best part is responding with "Reported." each time they swear at you. People lose their loving minds when you do this. I've got an inventory full of heads from the people I've tricked into hitting me. One guy realized what I was doing, called me a "fcking IDIOT", and immediately turned around and smacked the pig I had tamed moments ago. The best ones are the people who instantly realize that they've hosed up, and start to run. I anticipated this and built my character to be a super-light ultra-fast newbie ganking rear end in a top hat.

Run all you want, nothing will save you from Dicksmash Megahitler. :allears:

EDIT: Grammar is hard.

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 31, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Counter-Strike Global Offensive used to have a way of glitching grenades by throwing them onto hostages, producing a very loud, irritating noise due to the "grenade hits ground" sound being looped. Obviously some players abused this glitch to piss people off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_Fbs-BQps

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Azurrat posted:

Just spent the last four hours doing this in the newbie area with all the pigs. The best part is responding with "Reported." each time they swear at you. People lose their loving minds when you do this. I've got an inventory full of heads from the people I've tricked into hitting me. One guy realized what I was doing, called me a "fcking IDIOT", and immediately turned around and smacked the pig I had tamed moments ago. The best ones are the people who instantly realize that they've hosed up, and start to run. I anticipated this and built my character to be a super-light ultra-fast newbie ganking rear end in a top hat.

Run all you want, nothing will save you from Dicksmash Megahitler. :allears:

EDIT: Grammar is hard.
If you catch Langtry online let me know and we can grief some nerds. I've found posing as an animal rights protester is a pretty good gimmick to go with the pig thing, I had half of help chat hating me and the other half praising me as a hero in the fight against pig cruelty last night.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
THE STALKER RETURNS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BydUr5N_n4Q

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

There are like 7 parts of this that've been around for ages, the rest of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q2jn6N6LXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDojufv5bD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ppOS_wPT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBhxDZog0Rk

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

That's actually from last year. Jan 2013.

My favorite grief in UO was sailing around during the 8x8 era (wherein skill gains could only be done if you moved 8 tiles to cut down on idle macroing of skill gains.) Players would make a script with sailing commands built in to sail around and unattendedly use macros to gain skills.

Queue players specifically seeking out these players with their own boats, colliding with the macroers boats to prevent them from continuing to sail and then murder them outright with bows, magery, or my personal favorite a heavy crossbow and explosion potions. The trick is, if their character didn't have a large or medium boat and had their character positioned in the exact right position their corpse would clip over the side and be freely lootable.

Most of these macroers thought they were completely safe and just left their boat keys on them. If they did, you could just open up your plank, steal their keys, unlock their boat, jump into their boat and steal what was in their hold. You could then just sail that boat to dry land, and shrink the boat into a model ship because it assumes you are the owner because you have the keys and display the ship in your murder house.

Then you continue to hunt for more unattended macroers stuck in the "sea trance."

Boats also cost around 12k which wasn't a very small amount.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Infinite Monkeys posted:

If you catch Langtry online let me know and we can grief some nerds. I've found posing as an animal rights protester is a pretty good gimmick to go with the pig thing, I had half of help chat hating me and the other half praising me as a hero in the fight against pig cruelty last night.

I encountered a griefer of my own today in Mortal Online. He was decked out in plate armor with a bad-rear end 2H claymore sword. He decided he was going to try to block my shots so I'd turn gray. I moonwalked until we were well out of guard range, then taunted at him. When he taunted back, I tore him to loving pieces since I've maxed my sword skill and carry around a fairly nice blade. He tried to run towards the gazebo near the water once he realized that he was going to die, but I nabbed him right before he got to it. Looted his corpse, ran into the bushes and waited for my criminal timer to expire. When I came back, he was cussing up a storm near his loot bag. Probably because it had nothing but a single rose in it. :h:

I taunted at him, and when I had his attention I slowly put on all of the armor he was wearing, loaded myself down with pig carcasses, then dove into the water. Of course, due to the vast amount of weight I was carrying I sank like a loving brick and drowned, but now he's sitting at the edge of the water trying to get to his loot bag, and occasionally calling me a dickhead in /help.

Sorry dude, maybe you should have trained swimming before I threw all of your stuff into the water. :smug:

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
in the things that are actually recent category:

z0mby, an old and v good griefer, uploaded a new vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1CFKJm76I

the creepy guy(forums user hats) that called the streamer in one of stgggs videos has continued bothering the streamer

"YOU CANNOT CALL SOMEONE 80 TIMES IN 1 WEEK!!!!"
"why do you like jesus christ and a church on your facebook page? YOU NEED TO GO TO THAT CHURCH"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixWzoxU9ww

just don't pick up the phone lady

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
God can we not have the hats stuff. I like this thread and I'd rather it not get closed again when people inevitably start fighting over whether hats is a lunatic or not.

My favorite Dark Souls grief I've seen recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs - I don't think it has gotten posted here, since I don't remember seeing a lot of DS griefing stuff in the thread in a while.

Background - so the zone he's in, Anor Londo, is legitimately one of the more difficult zones in the game. You can see in the video how people have to fight their way across narrow, single file corridors here - this is not a side exploration path, it's the only path forward to victory. The area in particular that he's guarding is notorious for having a pair of archer enemies with big fuckoff greatbows that will throw your character a couple steps backward if you get hit by their (small spear sized) arrows.

So OnlyAfro, our intrepid griefing hero, knows that here, the best offense is a good defense because the Archers will mostly do his work for him, or failing that the ledges will kill people for him. So he packs two gigantic tower shields - the one he uses primarily that looks like it's made of stone is actually made of stone. It's a gigantic slab of rock cut from a mountain in one piece and enchanted to be hugely resistant to magic - it's part of the gear of a lore character who hated magic and wanted to destroy it in all its forms. Incidentally, at ~28s into the video, when the one guy spawns a bunch of black orbs, that's a spell called Pursuers. Pursuers is widely loving hated within Dark Souls PvP because it's very easy to use and very, very difficult to deal with unless you're a character geared towards anti-magic, to the point that a lot of times Pursuers makes people unreasonably angry and is its own form of griefing. Well, when you have a giant loving slab of rock enchanted to be resistant to magic, you can tell sorcerors to blow it out their rear end because you'll eat Pursuers and laugh where it can easily oneshot many/most characters, and I guarantee the Sorceror in that clip had an 'oh gently caress there's no way I can kill this guy' moment when he saw his Pursuers - which can easily oneshot many/most characters - hit him for about 3% of his HP bar. For most of the video he either just boots people off ledges, holds them up while the archers eat at them, or just holds them up until they ragequit because they can't get past him.

It's also worth noting that PvP in Dark Souls is entirely consensual. You have to specifically go to a bonfire and choose to burn a resource to change into human form to enable pvp. The upshot of this is that you can summon friendly players (the people shining white or gold) into your world to help you clear the level and the boss, but you pay for this ability by being vulnerable to hostile players invading your level and killing you. Not being in human form means no summons, but protects you from being invaded. Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDfA7fUk20 is a video of a guy playing a similar shield-centric build except as a friendly player - this second video inspired OnlyAfro's video up above, actually. It's long but imo worth watching because it's hilarious whether you play Dark Souls or not (the 'main character' of the video is named Wallace :3:)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got banned from a minecraft server, but everyone (including the admin) concluded it was a funny grief.

Minecraft as you all know is a game where you build things with virtual blocks, and show it off to your friends. There are a lot of servers running minecraft, and a lot of them use mods. The grief I pulled off was with the "Thaumcraft" mod, a mod that adds a ton of magic poo poo. (Wands of digging, fire balls, flying jet packs, that sort of thing.)

Thaumcraft adds a mechanic called "taint," taint is how it balances itself and stops you from trying to grind poo poo out super quick, and keep you out of "higher level" areas. It's a mechanic that's meant to stop you. You can generate taint pretty easily by throwing too much poo poo into a cauldron at once. This causes the ground to turn purple, summon huge rear end monsters, eats the surrounding landscape, turns any NPC also into a monster, summons tiny tentacles to flick at you, and damages you over time.

I summoned a poo poo ton of taint in the basement of my house, then burned down the wall to let all of the crazy monsters and poo poo into the surrounding landscape. It took 5 guys in the strongest armor to completely get it all. I of course got banned for doing this in the "no pvp zone"

What they don't know, is that I left a bunch of cauldrons just like that, all over the map.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I figured out how to grief in Journey.

My first playthrough on the day it came out was perfect. I had a wonderful experience teaming up with a stranger and taking in the game's perfect beauty. We had a great co-op experience, but on my second run my random partner didn't seem interested in helping me. He had a super long scarf and had obviously played it a bunch. I spent most of that run trying to catch up to him and struggling since my scarf wasn't as long. He just trucked along out of my reach even though he'd obviously seen me.

I caught up to him in the area with the giant sandworms that attack you if you don't hide in these giant pipes that litter the desert. He and I were in the same pipe so I kept ducking outside to get the worms attention and lead them directly to him. They blasted the pipe a bunch and knocked his scarf all the way back down to level one. The only communication the game allows is a series of chirps that don't translate directly into words, but I think I understood what he was trying to say and he was not happy.

The moral of the story is help a brutha out, especially if that's the point of the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
This probably isn't quite as 'direct' as people would like, but I just came off it and I'm still fairly happy with it.

So The Secret World recently introduced a new event, a 40-man raid against the 'Bird of the Zero-Point Pathogen'. TSW has a huge problem with huge world bosses, especially bad because the game itself can't handle it, and despite attempts to circumvent it the Bird is no different. In fact, he's arguably worse because the devs think he's better, so they gave him attack patterns that would be hard to dodge on an enemy the game can handle, let alone in a fight where you could be going as low as 2 FPS. Since he's also 40-man, no one person is all that relevant, so you feel pretty loving useless. Yet since he gives some rewards reserved for the high-grade endgame, he's part of an event, and a huge chunk of TSW's playerbase wouldn't know good game design if it slapped them in the face, he's fairly popular.

Since the rewards and the playerbase are funneling me into fighting the worst boss I've ever fought in a game, my influence on the fight is 'little to none', my framerate is nonexistent, and the playerbase hates 'leechers' (including people dying too much to properly fight) I either have to eat colossal amounts of gear repair costs and move very fast, or come up with something that works better.

Today I chose the latter. If my bullets don't work, maybe words will.

quote:

Entering 'Agartha Defiled'
Connected to community server.
[Baldurdash]: hello and welcome to filth land!
[KingYellow]: I don't like it.
[General] [Clerisy]: Act five, scene five! Enter Macbeth, Seyton, and soldiers, with drum and colors
[General] [Clerisy]: "Hang out our banners on the outward walls. The cry is still 'they come'.
[General] [Clerisy]: "Our castle's strenght will laugh a siege to scorn. Here let the lie 'till famine and ague eat them up.
[General] [Clerisy]: "Were they not forced with those that should be ours, we might ahve met them dareful, beard to bear, and beat them backward home."
[General] [Clerisy]: A cry within, of women!
[General] [Clerisy]: "What is that noise?"
[General] [Ankhani]: Always call it the Scottish Play! >_<
[General] [Clerisy]: "It is the cry of women, my good lord."
[General] [Clerisy]: "I have almost forgot the taste of fears. Te time has been my senses would have cooled to hear a night-shriek, and my fell of hair would at a ddismal treatise rouse and stir as life were in't."
[General] [Clerisy]: "I have supped full with horrors. Direness, familiar to my slaughterous thoughts, cannot once start me."
[General] [Clerisy]: Enter Seyton!
[General] [Clerisy]: "Wherefore was that cry?"
[General] [Clerisy]: "The Queen, my lord, is dead."
[General] [Clerisy]: "She should have died hereafter: There should have been a time for such a word."
[General] [Clerisy]: "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time, and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death."
[General] [Baldurdash]: is that Shakespeare?
[General] [Clerisy]: "Out, out, brief candle, life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more."
[General] [Clerisy]: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
[General] [Clerisy]: Enter, a messenger.
[General] [Clerisy]: "Thou com'st to use thy tongue: thy story quickly."
[General] [Catau]: i he bearing good news, bad news or bad news he htinks is good news?
[General] [Clerisy]: "Gracious my lord, I should report that to which I say I saw, but know not how to do't."
[General] [Clerisy]: "Well, say, sir."
[General] [Clerisy]: "As I did stand my watch upon the hill, I looked toward Birnam, and anon methought the wood began to move."
[General] [Clerisy]: "Liar and slave!"
[General] [T-Drake]: maybe less quoting and more killing Flappy?
[General] [Clerisy]: "Let me endure your wrath if't be not so. Within this three mile may you see it coming. I say, a moving grove."
[General] [Clerisy]: "If thou speak'st false, upon the next three shalt thou hang alive 'till famine cling thee."
[General] [Clerisy]: "If thy speech be sooth, I care not if thou dost for me as much."
[General] [T-Drake]: I mean, basically you're just advertising the fact you're leeching
[General] [Clerisy]: "I pull in resolution, and begin to doubt th' equivocation of the fiend that lies like truth."
[General] [T-Drake]: or, to put it another way, shut the gently caress up
[General] [Catau]: in my case falling off the edge after getting hit hence my bad typeing
[General] [Clerisy]: "'Fear not, till Birnam Wood do come to Dunsanine,' and now a wood comes toward Dunsanine."
[General] [Clerisy]: "Arm, arm, and out! If this which he avouches does appear, there is not flying hence nor tarrying here."
[General] [Clerisy]: "I 'gin to be aweary of the sun, and wish th'estate o' th'world were now undone."
[General] [Clerisy]: "Ring the alarm bell! Blow wind, come wrack, at least we'll die with harness on our back."
[General] [Clerisy]: ...aaaaand I've run out of scene. Okay, time to fight.

Keeping the typos, because it hammers in exactly what I was doing. To effectively protest in a game, you need to make it very clear that you're not just being lazy. I'm not quite sure if this is griefing, but since I'm clearly having the most fun in the instance, I'm going to keep doing it.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Haven & Hearth was an MMO with permadeath. That sounds like a ripe field for griefing, but the devs actually made it kinda hard. First, combat wasn't central to the game, so by the time you could beat the weakest mobs you had 50+ hours in the game. Second, they used a system with 'soft' hp and 'hard' hp; you normally took damage to your soft hp, and it would regenerate over time. Once you ran out of soft hp, you would be knocked out and immune to combat (but the remaining damage would be applied to your hard hp). You could learn a skill to attack someone who was knocked out, which could easily take you 300+ hours of gameplay. Third, if you actually did manage to kill someone, you would leave behind a 'scent', which was essentially an invitation for everyone nearby to rob you in your sleep. This was a great way to become powerful yourself, since anyone capable of murdering generally had a lot of good stuff.

There were, however, a way around that. If you stood in a swamp, you would start to get covered with leeches. Leeches would each do about 10 points of damage, then heal 1 hard hp. This was supposed to be the way that new players healed their hard hp, since it didn't naturally regenerate. However, if you beat someone in combat, picked up their unconscious body, and throw it in a swamp, they would get covered with leeches. Since they had no soft hp left, the leeches would damage their hard hp, eventually killing them.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.
Final Fantasy XI is an astounding MMO back its day, and a great game for those who want to experience how old MMO games worked. After being sold for years, square added loot chests that dropped from mobs, that required you to guess a number between 1-99 by checking the lock and getting hints to open it. Of course, most pubbies who played the game were poo poo at the puzzle, so they left them on the ground. This is important later.

When you play, there is a party mechanic that lets you get a "page" from a book that acts like a bounty, when you killed x amount of a certain monster, it gave you a nice load of exp and gil. The popular leveling strategy was to go to a certain cave, grab a certain page, and party with 11 or more people and kill mobs one by one at a fast pace. With so many people, it drops no exp but the bounties make it worth it.

As a theif, I made it my job to grab and loot every chest that dropped by solving the puzzle before the people know it had even dropped (While still getting kills!) Now this is where it gets rocky. The chests could be worked on by more than one person- so a fun thing I did was "help" the other people trying to open the chests by checking the lock, which you can only do 4 times, and tells you AFTER you check them how many checks are left.

So, by checking it while they were solving it, it would give them one less check and NOT even tell them what the check gave me, and after the four, despawns the chest. So I ran around, despawning chest with possibly amazing loot because gently caress those people.

And then I managed to get a 1% drop item that people go to that cave for. It increases the yield from all harvesting and mining, so it was EXTREMELY valuable for that reason. The two people in the party who had been looking for it the whole time flipped out, demanding it and calling me an rear end in a top hat- never mind the fact that after you pick it up, its bound to you. For SIX HOURS they pestered me, with me just stringing them along with requests for items that were either impossible to get, or would take forever to farm. I logged out after the 6 hours and never saw them again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ducttape posted:

There were, however, a way around that. If you stood in a swamp, you would start to get covered with leeches. Leeches would each do about 10 points of damage, then heal 1 hard hp. This was supposed to be the way that new players healed their hard hp, since it didn't naturally regenerate. However, if you beat someone in combat, picked up their unconscious body, and throw it in a swamp, they would get covered with leeches. Since they had no soft hp left, the leeches would damage their hard hp, eventually killing them.
I heard that at some point, people were carrying fresh leeches and placing them on the downed players.

This required the Theft skill, but I believe only looting items would leave an actual scent...

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 16, 2014

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Vilemoon posted:

Final Fantasy XI is an astounding MMO back its day, and a great game for those who want to experience how old MMO games worked. After being sold for years, square added loot chests that dropped from mobs, that required you to guess a number between 1-99 by checking the lock and getting hints to open it. Of course, most pubbies who played the game were poo poo at the puzzle, so they left them on the ground. This is important later.

When you play, there is a party mechanic that lets you get a "page" from a book that acts like a bounty, when you killed x amount of a certain monster, it gave you a nice load of exp and gil. The popular leveling strategy was to go to a certain cave, grab a certain page, and party with 11 or more people and kill mobs one by one at a fast pace. With so many people, it drops no exp but the bounties make it worth it.

As a theif, I made it my job to grab and loot every chest that dropped by solving the puzzle before the people know it had even dropped (While still getting kills!) Now this is where it gets rocky. The chests could be worked on by more than one person- so a fun thing I did was "help" the other people trying to open the chests by checking the lock, which you can only do 4 times, and tells you AFTER you check them how many checks are left.

So, by checking it while they were solving it, it would give them one less check and NOT even tell them what the check gave me, and after the four, despawns the chest. So I ran around, despawning chest with possibly amazing loot because gently caress those people.

And then I managed to get a 1% drop item that people go to that cave for. It increases the yield from all harvesting and mining, so it was EXTREMELY valuable for that reason. The two people in the party who had been looking for it the whole time flipped out, demanding it and calling me an rear end in a top hat- never mind the fact that after you pick it up, its bound to you. For SIX HOURS they pestered me, with me just stringing them along with requests for items that were either impossible to get, or would take forever to farm. I logged out after the 6 hours and never saw them again.

On the note of FFXI...

Back in the day, "running a train" meant someone was leaving the area in an effort to despawn a mob. The mob would literally chase them until they left the area. You could get them to aggressively chase you passively(hey, they have nothing better to do, why not attack that one guy?). If someone did anything to them, they would the engage that person. It was quite a show in the narrow, corridor dungeons, collecting every mob on the way out. What's more, they would walk back, slowly thinning the horde, with the added benefit of completely overwhelming every group in the area. This was patched out rather quickly; mobs either return to spawn if close, or simply despawn if far away. As great as the potential was for this, it was a thing that simply "wasn't done". You can bet that repeated tries were met with some very unhappy people talking to GMs, in a game where the GMs would send you to the special GM jail for being an internet butt.

But oh, the day when Beastmaster was released! :toot:

This too, was patched out, but was far better the grief:
The Beastmaster could charm creatures and make them an ally. The is important because of two things: 1) you could release the pet, and 2) the creature was as though you passively aggro'ed it.

Why is that important? Well, some of those creatures "link"; when you attack one, you gain the attention of any in the area. It's dangerous if they're not isolated, as attacking one suddenly means 3 or 4 start coming at you. This is important, because a Beastmaster could uncharm a linking creature near a group, causing that creature to automatically link to the group fighting instead of you(that whole passive aggro thing as read from "running a train"). More so, if you get a creature that's an absolute dick and attacks everything it sees, and drop it on someone, and do so from the very edge of your range, it would attack them instead. Before it was patched out, a fun pastime was to drag an aggressive critter over to someone who was fishing (likely with a bot, because gold farmers and/or a "fishing minigame" that was terrible) and release a beast that would shred them, because they were very likely level 20 in a level 30-40 area.

And the biggest grief of all in the game: Absolute Virtue
The devs challenged people to kill it, and initially, people eventually did, by spamming skills available once every 2 hours, but then the devs said, "that's not the way you're supposed to do it" and reset all the stats related to killing it. Since all the level caps were raised and additional game content was added, it's become less maddening, but still, it had a good run, causing endgame groups to waste hours attempting it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mistle posted:

The devs challenged people to kill it, and initially, people eventually did, by spamming skills available once every 2 hours, but then the devs said, "that's not the way you're supposed to do it" and reset all the stats related to killing it. Since all the level caps were raised and additional game content was added, it's become less maddening, but still, it had a good run, causing endgame groups to waste hours attempting it.

To add on this. Absolute Virtue was made to last an absurdly long time. The closest a guild got to legitemately defeating it spent something like 60ish hours or something crazy like that and they eventually had to abandon it because players were becoming physically and mentally ill during the many days they spent not sleeping.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dizz posted:

To add on this. Absolute Virtue was made to last an absurdly long time. The closest a guild got to legitemately defeating it spent something like 60ish hours or something crazy like that and they eventually had to abandon it because players were becoming physically and mentally ill during the many days they spent not sleeping.
I think Square responded to THAT lovely bit by putting a two or three hour cap on the fight.

Not like, reducing its HP or anything to go with it, just making it either despawn or murder everybody and despawn when it hit the time limit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mistle posted:

Wasn't there another one of these that was supposed to be unbeatable, until a group actually did it, at which point Absolute Virtue was added? I've never played FFXI but from everything I've heard (mostly from this thread), that game is almost entirely comprised of the devs griefing the player base.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wasn't there another one of these that was supposed to be unbeatable, until a group actually did it, at which point Absolute Virtue was added? I've never played FFXI but from everything I've heard (mostly from this thread), that game is almost entirely comprised of the devs griefing the player base.
I think Everquest devs did something similar with one of its bosses, except there was PvP involved..?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Jackard posted:

I think Everquest devs did something similar with one of its bosses, except there was PvP involved..?

The Sleeper was this dragon that could only be woken up once on each server for this event leading into an expansion release. It was supposed to be unbeatable and go on this rampage through the world and stuff. On every server this happened except for one.

Something like three hundred players zerg rushed the Sleeper for a couple hours (Clerics had this epic weapon that had a clickable resurrection spells so they could keep throwing people at it). It had millions of HP but eventually they downed it. It had no loot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jackard posted:

I can't remember if it was Absolute Virtue or something in Everquest, but there was one where the players found a trick, the servers hiccupped for a minute, and when they came back up it no longer worked. The devs were watching the fight in realtime and patching any holes found in their pet. It's a devtroll so dickish it rolls around through awesome and then rolls again back to dickish.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The Sleeper was this dragon that could only be woken up once on each server for this event leading into an expansion release. It was supposed to be unbeatable and go on this rampage through the world and stuff. On every server this happened except for one.

Something like three hundred players zerg rushed the Sleeper for a couple hours (Clerics had this epic weapon that had a clickable resurrection spells so they could keep throwing people at it). It had millions of HP but eventually they downed it. It had no loot.

I heard the GMs deleted him the first time this guild tried it, and called it a bug that he was getting beaten. The no loot you mentioned was the 2nd time they came back to kill him.

Bruceski posted:

I can't remember if it was Absolute Virtue or something in Everquest, but there was one where the players found a trick, the servers hiccupped for a minute, and when they came back up it no longer worked. The devs were watching the fight in realtime and patching any holes found in their pet. It's a devtroll so dickish it rolls around through awesome and then rolls again back to dickish.

I believe you're referring to how people would log out when a raid monster in FF11 was about to use a party wiping skill (that it could use multiple times even) and then log back in to keep killing it. I don't believe anyone was ever punished for this.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Speaking of Developer Grief, I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with World of Warcraft's Doom Lord Kazzak. In Vanilla WoW, Kazzak was a world boss who pretty much remained in one region called the Blasted Lands. He was entirely killable by a coordinated raid, but with one caveat, if a player died, he would regenerate a ridiculous amount of HP instantly which hosed any attempt to kill him since you had 3 minutes to drop him before he went apeshit and killed everything. He also had two particular attacks designed to harm a large gorup of players at once, a volley of shadow bolts, and turning spellcasters into living bombs. This seems pretty fair for a boss located in an area where only high-leveled players can thrive.

You might ask, how is this developer grief? Well, prior to the release of World of Warcraft's first expansion, Burning Crusade, Blizzard (the developer) made a carbon-copy of Lord Kazzak called Highlord Kruul. Highlord Krull was identical to Kazzak in every single way, except for one thing: Blizzard unleashed this crazy bastard on certain leveling areas, in addition to the Capital Cities for both factions, Horde and Alliance. These Capital Cities were hubs for players of all levels to buy/sell stuff, work on professions etc. So you've got an extremely dangerous boss capable of turning anyone it sees into a living bomb, while sending out an enormous volley of shadowbolts that ignore line-of-sight. This rampaging monstrosity was mowing down fields of lower-level players, and being healed to full each time he did it. Even the endless swarms of guard-NPCs couldn't dent his health. Each time he loosed a volley everyone under maximum level dropped like flies, which upped their repair bills on damaged equipment. Players were being slaughtered in their economic hub on a daily basis, losing money, and there was nothing they could do about it until they corpse-hopped a safe distance away from the boss. Players were pretty much forced to congregate in remote, backwater capital cities miles away from anything relevant until the event ended.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Bruceski posted:

There was a trick that used LoS tactics in Everquest that was pretty much standard issue boss fight tactics in Sleeper's Tomb that got I think the uber guild Conquest in a bunch of poo poo. It involved clerics being parked under a bridge. I can't recall the rest, but there were 2 incidents, one involving the third warder and another that involved them either "exploiting" and spawning the Sleeper (with the incorrect model: a giant generic human male model) or the GMs loving up and accidentally spawning the Sleeper as a result.

There was also another incident on one of the Zek servers that had the GMs despawn the Sleeper after they got him to about 25% health because they were being monitored in real time and thought that they were using an exploit of some kind. Once that got sorted out, the alliance of guilds (200~ people) used the mass cleric tactic mentioned earlier and managed to down him.

Also, I think there was a similar incident with Grand Inquisitor Seru, a boss in the godawful Shadows of Luclin expansion. SoL was a poorly put together expansion that had a shitton of gated content that required copious amounts of grinding up for keys, amulets, doodads and other bullshit in order to access the end game bosses. IIRC, one boss required grinding up keys for each person who wanted to get in, then grinding up special "Shissar bane" weapons that could be actually used to hurt this one particular boss. I think there were also bullshit 'ring' events (think survival type fights where you fight increasingly harder enemies in waves with little to no recovery time) that were a pain in the balls amongst other bullshit.

Anyway, Seru was one of these gated bosses and required a key of some kind to access him. However, he was in a building that had an open roof, but flying spells were disabled so there was no way to access it. There was a spell in EQ called Gravity Flux that would send you flying up into the air. So, through creative use of GFlux, this one guild was able to pop a bunch of people on top of the roof and then dropped in and killed him.

Again, going off of memory, Seru wasn't tuned at all and he was a cupcake or they just had a bunch of casters stand on the roof and nuke him out of range. Either way, his entire loot table was itemized and had a bunch of sweet stuff. Verant, not happy with a creative thinking guild using in-game mechanics to kill their boss, responded with I believe suspensions/bans and revamped his loot table. The crap that dropped got turned into stuff like this and the zone was quickly patched to not allow GFlux to be cast.

One other EQ grief, which was pretty hilarious at the time.

Just about everything in EQ had a faction of some kind, which determined whether you were friendly or hostile to them. For example, dark elves hated other elves, but got along with trolls and ogres. End game bosses also had factions and one of the expansions (arguably the peak of EQ at that) was actually focused around a three way faction war. Where it got interesting was that some bosses were actually friendly to player characters. Troll characters in particular were friendly with the god that they worshipped, I think it was Cazic Thule, and were able to enter his zone and have no problems.

In addition to this, EQ also allowed you to give items to NPCs and they would typically automatically equip whatever you gave them if they didn't already have something equipped.

Cue some creative thinkers going up to Cazic Thule and equipping him with weapons and having him proceed to skull gently caress whatever guilds that tried to take him on.

I believe this persisted for a long time, and could be done with a wide variety of characters who had the Sneak command. Sneaking would put your character into a neutral reaction state, so characters could sneak up to a normally hostile creature and hand all sorts of poo poo over to them.

• Locked thread