Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...

bawfuls posted:

It doesn't matter if they should be or not for the purposes of this discussion. As long as the university is an entity that makes money off of sports like football, then the players who's labor is creating that value deserve to be compensated for doing so.

But my previous post in response to you was intended to highlight how the work of TA's does in fact contribute to university revenue.

I think you're right on that count and that I wasn't acknowledging that fact, that the teaching duties of grad students are contributing to the overall revenue in the sense that they allow schools to offer more classes and enroll more tuition-paying students. My hangup seems to be similar to King Hong Kong's, in that I can clearly see the link between the goal of a university (teaching students and conducting research) and graduate student instructors/researchers, but that the link between the goal of the university and its athletic programs seems more tenuous. The university is definitely exploiting the athletes in the current situation, but taking the athletes out of the university and putting them in semi-pro leagues of their own seems like a better solution than trying to turn them into university employees.

Idiot Wind fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Pro click http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/1/28/5354718/college-football-players-union-pay-for-play

Medical expenses due to injuries from playing are covered, scholarship protection, no waiting a year after transfers, NCAA should punish the culprits not the athletes. Those are the main planks in the union arguments. Aside from expenses being added to their scholarship - like other full scholarships have - there's not much talk about universities shelling out extra cash to athletes.

This is a really great article. The only remotely controversial demand is #8. And I think when you realize that NCAA athletes can't seem to take any kind of job to earn money to do things their scholarship doesn't provide it's no longer controversial. I've heard about players being unable to afford food or other basic life necessities because they can't work a job due to their hours and yet their scholarship doesn't provide for those items.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
College athletes work at least 40 hours a week out of season at their sport of choice and 60 hours a week in-season, if not more. Those numbers might be inflated some if you count mandatory "tutoring" sessions as work, which I would because athletes are supposed to attend.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
ya but football is fun where work is boring ergo...

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

bawfuls posted:

I didn't say they were employees, I said what they are doing is clearly work, which you had disputed for some reason.

But the classification of "student athletes" as not employees is just semantics, as has been pointed out already. They are already given compensation (though insufficient and highly restrictive as it is) in exchange for their labor on the football field.

As is alluded to above by Idiot Wind, while I certainly agree that football is labor in certain contexts - and should be treated as such in those contexts - it is not and should not be labor within the context of a university. To that end, I do not think that universities should endeavor to maximize profits from their athletic programs by means of exploiting their students, an aim which is contrary in spirit to universities' essential educational and research missions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BigBoss posted:

I think this is the biggest hurdle in the process. Title IX was one of those laws that had good intentions, but the consequences a few decades after its implementation are starting to become known. Given the unique nature of football due to the large roster and facility expense, Title IX needs to be adjusted to account for these expenses if successful unionization of football players goes forward.

Starting to become known?

Men's Wrestling, Gymnastics, soccer, etc... found out those consequences a long time ago.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

At all but about 30 or 40 institutions across the country, that money is all spent.

This would add the largest line item on the whole AD expense sheet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What really needs to happen, however, is the de-coupling of college athletics from a state-supported model to a completely private model.

I have no doubt the university knows where the money goes, but my point was that the money should go back into football, to pay the athletes, then this fantasy land where schools have no money disappears.

Like maybe there wouldn't be an expense for a new Olympic pool and swimming team if there wasn't money left from football/basketball to build one? Then if the school wants that on their brochure, they pay for it themselves?

There has been articles written about increased registration and such after a championship, sports and the attention it brings is a value to the school. I bet if football has to fight for it, they'll get a lot of donations ear marked to them that only they can spend; it could become a bunch of Green bay situations where the local area just comes to sponsor a team.

So where is this "poor broke schools" narrative coming from? Because schools run bloated programs now because they can? It's like those Bowl CEOs who gave their friends and themselves huge salaries and fees in order to make the whole thing non-profit.

How will you handle former players through, those that can't make it into the NFL, or flame out? How long do you let them play?

King Hong Kong posted:

As is alluded to above by Idiot Wind, while I certainly agree that football is labor in certain contexts - and should be treated as such in those contexts - it is not and should not be labor within the context of a university. To that end, I do not think that universities should endeavor to maximize profits from their athletic programs by means of exploiting their students, an aim which is contrary in spirit to universities' essential educational and research missions.

Yeah, but the university invites players/coaches to donation events, and get more alumni interest when the team does well. They sell jerseys, merchandise, stadium seats, all with no compensation to the likeness of their players.

The NFL is the dream, and college is how you get there, and universities are just exploiting the poo poo out of it. Regular students cost them money, so they gotta pay, football players make them money, but they also pay, in this "scholarship" crap, theie rights to use their name, and their work to prepare and play.

You see from the above, the only ones that are DEFINTELY benefiting are the connected people able to put friends and families into administrative decision making positions, it's a giant old boys club basically, and this particular ones is exploiting our children, literally.

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 29, 2014

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

King Hong Kong posted:

Well, too late. It already is, and College Football is a massive and quite profitable industry. We can either accept this reality and allow for unionization to bring some balance and justice to the situation, or we can abolish athletic scholarships and profit-seeking in NCAA football completely.

Good luck with that second approach.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Somehow he's trying to argue that this system is not work:

Players (employees) put on outfits with a school's name on them and exert physical effort (services) in a contest for a for profit enterprise (corporation) that is paid by a tv network (client) to broadcast that contest and also sell clothing (goods) with their likenesses that are made valuable by their effort to fans (customers).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Wait wait, is someone really trying to argue against the fact that college athletes are exploited? Seriously? Ok, my loving brain hurts. These guys work far beyond regular college requirements and put their bodies on the line for 10-15 weeks a year and can't even sell their signatures without being suspended. I mean, loving really?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Fenrir posted:

Wait wait, is someone really trying to argue against the fact that college athletes are exploited? Seriously? Ok, my loving brain hurts. These guys work far beyond regular college requirements and put their bodies on the line for 10-15 weeks a year and can't even sell their signatures without being suspended. I mean, loving really?

Well you see, universities are enlightened places of learning.
-future UT president Rick Perry

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Somehow he's trying to argue that this system is not work:

Players (employees) put on outfits with a school's name on them and exert physical effort (services) in a contest for a for profit enterprise (corporation) that is paid by a tv network (client) to broadcast that contest and also sell clothing (goods) with their likenesses that are made valuable by their effort to fans (customers).

Universities - or at least any university you would want to go to - are not "for profit" enterprises, at least not technically.

You can argue it should be treated as work, which is fine, I do not really care whether it currently is or not according to whatever our working definition of "work" is because I do not think it actually should be work for these students. If they want to be paid for football, they should be able to do that outside of college.

Edit: In essence, I think colleges are exploiting students and my solution to that problem is an idealistic alternative to the one generally proposed in this thread.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 29, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Femur posted:

Well you see, universities are enlightened places of learning.
-future UT president Rick Perry

Rick Perry would rather die than work for UT.

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Well, too late. It already is, and College Football is a massive and quite profitable industry. We can either accept this reality and allow for unionization to bring some balance and justice to the situation, or we can abolish athletic scholarships and profit-seeking in NCAA football completely.

Good luck with that second approach.

Or maybe the NFL and NBA could, I don't know, have their own minor league systems that don't interfere with the operation of educational institutions?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Idiot Wind posted:

Or maybe the NFL and NBA could, I don't know, have their own minor league systems that don't interfere with the operation of educational institutions?
I would argue that allowing these players to unionize could in fact hasten the arrival of such a framework.

Because right now the NFL and NCAA have zero incentive to scrap the current system for a true minor league set up. The NFL gets to reap the benefits of a huge player scouting and development system without paying a dime, while the NCAA gets to profit off their end of the operation.

Give the players some power, allow them to collectively bargain, and the end result may eventually be a more appropriate minor league system. This avenue seems much more practical than trying to convince the NFL and NBA to set up minor league systems out of the goodness of their hearts.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 29, 2014

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

swickles posted:

Rick Perry would rather die than work for UT.

Rick Perry would do for UT what he wanted to do to the federal government: Strip it down to a skeleton and sell off the pieces to his friends at deep discounts.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Rick Perry would do for UT what he wanted to do to the federal government: Strip it down to a skeleton and sell off the pieces to his friends at deep discounts.

Sounds familiar...

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

bawfuls posted:

I would argue that allowing these players to unionize could in fact hasten the arrival of such a framework.

Because right now the NFL and NCAA have zero incentive to scrap the current system for a true minor league set up. Give the players some power, allow them to collectively bargain, and the end result may eventually be a more appropriate minor league system.

Yeah, I think as long as this moves in that direction unionizing will have been a good thing both for the universities and for the athletes involved. Of course, there's the incentive you mentioned in your last post, the massive existing cash cow of college sports, that will exert a powerful influence on keeping the money where it is. Simply defining student-athletes as employees is not the same thing as creating a new framework to address the issues caused by a modern sports industry interwoven with the educational system, though it may be a start.

E: Sorry, quoted before your edit. I think we're on the same page though, as far as the power structure of the leagues is concerned :)

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Because right now the NFL and NCAA have zero incentive to scrap the current system for a true minor league set up. The NFL gets to reap the benefits of a huge player scouting and development system without paying a dime, while the NCAA gets to profit off their end of the operation.

Give the players some power, allow them to collectively bargain, and the end result may eventually be a more appropriate minor league system. This avenue seems much more practical than trying to convince the NFL and NBA to set up minor league systems out of the goodness of their hearts.

The NBA is certainly closer to that ideal than the NFL is, although you are right that neither the NCAA nor the NFL have any incentive to start spending money on a minor league system when they have one in practice at minimal expense. I'm skeptical that unionization will proceed particularly far, although any pressure put on the NCAA in its current state is worthwhile.

Edit: Beaten.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

Universities - or at least any university you would want to go to - are not "for profit" enterprises, at least not technically.

You can argue it should be treated as work, which is fine, I do not really care whether it currently is or not according to whatever our working definition of "work" is because I do not think it actually should be work for these students. If they want to be paid for football, they should be able to do that outside of college.

Edit: In essence, I think colleges are exploiting students and my solution to that problem is an idealistic alternative to the one generally proposed in this thread.

You must not live in the U.S. if you don't think higher education is for profit.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You must not live in the U.S. if you don't think higher education is for profit.

I wonder why I said "not technically."

In the end, partial agreement is really the worst position for someone to take.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 30, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

Probably because you realize you've lost an obvious argument to like five people and are falling back on semantics and pedantic responses.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
D&D is leaking again.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

So before colleges, you had apprenticeships, which was also a system wherein the student paid money to the master to impart their knowledge.

So at what time did this free education reality of yours exist?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

axeil posted:

This is a really great article. The only remotely controversial demand is #8. And I think when you realize that NCAA athletes can't seem to take any kind of job to earn money to do things their scholarship doesn't provide it's no longer controversial. I've heard about players being unable to afford food or other basic life necessities because they can't work a job due to their hours and yet their scholarship doesn't provide for those items.

I have a slight issue with #10. This should be limited to not within a conference or to an opponent on the next 2 year's schedule. Formalize that tradition to a rule and then allow open transfers elsewhere.

Also think that a lot of this could be funded through licensing of player names/likenesses, and the union could be the start of being able to do that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Open transfer in general is a tough subject because if you don't limit it in some way teams would have to just be assembled from free agents every season.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Thoguh posted:

D&D is leaking again.

This whole discussion is basically a D&D discussion with a football shell.

It can't be avoided really.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Open transfer in general is a tough subject because if you don't limit it in some way teams would have to just be assembled from free agents every season.

Hard to say, really. Everyone at Penn State could have transferred in 2012, but only a few did. I think that the sense of community that a football team brings is stronger than the draw of constantly transferring to better teams.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Hard to say, really. Everyone at Penn State could have transferred in 2012, but only a few did. I think that the sense of community that a football team brings is stronger than the draw of constantly transferring to better teams.

I guess the real fear for smaller colleges would be that star players would gravitate away from them toward programs that maximize their opportunity for success. Average players would stick around sure, but they don't sell as many jerseys/put butts in seats.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thoguh posted:

D&D is leaking again.
How dare we be forced to face the social repercussions of our sports-entertainment industries!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Well, they did say you would only have a one-time chance. So you can transfer anywhere once without penalty, but afterwards maybe they would institute the sit out a year part. Actually, that might work. Say you go to Texas for your first year and are red-shirted. It becomes clear that you aren't going to be a starter or see much time, so year two you transfer and can play immediately at TCU. If you don't like it, then you would have to sit out your junior year and play your senior year at Nebraska. The tricky part is that credits don't always transfer and such, but I think that would be one way of doing it.

I think maybe (emphasis on maybe, not sure yet) that a ban on transferring within conference or a scheduled opponent in the next two years wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean, schemes in college do change a lot, so I doubt you would see teams picking up players just for the inside info, but I can see how tampering on the side of the coaches might become an issue, and you want to insulate the kid from that. I think if a player wanted to go to a scheduled school, he should be able to appeal to some body and say why. Often times players are transferring to be closer to family, and a guy shouldn't be forced to play at Arkansas St. when he can easily play at Arkansas. I just think the rules on transferring need to be changed significantly and the player should have a little more freedom where he goes without sacrficing his potential as a professional athlete.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swickles posted:

Well, they did say you would only have a one-time chance. So you can transfer anywhere once without penalty, but afterwards maybe they would institute the sit out a year part. Actually, that might work. Say you go to Texas for your first year and are red-shirted. It becomes clear that you aren't going to be a starter or see much time, so year two you transfer and can play immediately at TCU.

I'm more thinking about the opposite situation. You go to, say, Houston and redshirt, and then have a breakout sophomore year. Suddenly you're getting calls from A&M and Texas about transferring up to the big leagues.

So then Houston suddenly needs to replace you and starts recruiting a key guy from North Texas. And so on and so forth. Except a couple hundred schools all doing this at the same time all with different needs that shift as they get guys recruited away or pull in a new transfer.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 30, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I'm more thinking about the opposite situation. You go to, say, Houston and redshirt, and then have a breakout sophomore year. Suddenly you're getting calls from A&M and Texas about transferring up to the big leagues.

So then Houston suddenly needs to replace you and starts recruiting a key guy from North Texas. And so on and so forth. Except a couple hundred schools all doing this at the same time all with different needs that shift as they get guys recruited away or pull in a new transfer.

Ahh, yeah, that part could be an issue. Maybe a rule could be made that if you are a starter you have to demonstrate why you want to transfer to a joint committee. Or just say if you are a starter, or played a full season (or certain percentage of a season) then you have to sit out a year.

Also, I think the potential of making scholarships 4 years instead of year to year would help mitigate that. If you are that good that teams are recruiting, you have a pretty good shot at getting drafted and most guys are going to choose money over the small chance they can win a NCG.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Or how about every other job. If you get a better offer somewhere you can leave your old job and then start a new one. Why pretend that pro sports are a good model for employment freedom

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Simplex posted:

Or how about every other job. If you get a better offer somewhere you can leave your old job and then start a new one.

Not if you signed a non-compete.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sash! posted:

Not if you signed a non-compete.

Haha you think Non-Compete's actually hold up.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
There's one thing that I have learned about American College Football, it's that no matter how corrupt/exploitive the system, how bad the team, how terrible the scandals the program is responsible for, how much bullshit surrounds everything; fans will ALWAYS buy tickets, tv subscriptions, merchandise, etc to support their school. That is never going to change.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bliggers- posted:

There's one thing that I have learned about American College Football, it's that no matter how corrupt/exploitive the system, how bad the team, how terrible the scandals the program is responsible for, how much bullshit surrounds everything; fans will ALWAYS buy tickets, tv subscriptions, merchandise, etc to support their school. That is never going to change.

Completely divorce them from being students and I think it would change. Especially given that at some point you along the line the ability for donations to be tax deductible would go away if you're donating to an openly semi pro team rather than a school athletic department.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 30, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dexo posted:

Haha you think Non-Compete's actually hold up.

Depends on the state and the industry. But yes, I've seen them do their thing in my own house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Depends on the state and the industry. But yes, I've seen them do their thing in my own house.

It depends on the state yes, but a non-compete in Pennsylvania isn't going to hold water at Ohio State outside of their road games played at Penn State. It's why they don't even bother with them for coaches and instead just focus on the buy-out portion of the contract. The coach can leave whenever he wants and there's nothing the school can do about it except try to get paid.

• Locked thread