Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

The Dave posted:

I was also taken back by how many people didn't understand that button and didn't tap it to see what happens. I do think it's a bad looking button though.

B-b-b-but if you press butan without knowing butan, things may happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm really looking forward to the CC# skimmer you're adding to the ... button.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What kind of weirdo doesn't make it a point to mash every button in a new app to see what it does?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

withak posted:

What kind of weirdo doesn't make it a point to mash every button in a new app to see what it does?

I don't have that kind of time, I have an entire forum to read!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Why do some of the thread icons have a small white S in a red circle? I just noticed it this morning. Does it signify something?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's the selling tag for SA-Mart.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ibntumart posted:

Why do some of the thread icons have a small white S in a red circle? I just noticed it this morning. Does it signify something?
Uh, if you're looking in SA Mart, it means Selling/Buying/Trading.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I thought the < > was a duplicate next page/last page that was really close together so that I didn't want to use it. Probably the best thing to do is to, when the bar is visible, make it a left arrow, and have it at the top right of the side bar. When the bar is closed have a right arrow in the upper left of the screen. Or one of those three lines menu icons that every other app uses.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I posted this pages ago but I was thinking of changing it to icons like this:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Too much like a share/actions icon I think.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Add a narrow panel on the side of the square maybe.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Agreed. Wouldn't a simple menu icon do nicely?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

"Meh" is how I feel about that but I didn't expect the first version to be so confusing so I'm out of it on this one.

withak posted:

Add a narrow panel on the side of the square maybe.

I actually did that originally and wasn't crazy about it:

Last Chance posted:

Agreed. Wouldn't a simple menu icon do nicely?

I don't know what "simple menu icon" actually means. Do you mean simple arrows pointing left and right?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think they mean a hamburger button, which I honestly think would be fine. No need to go crazy designing something new for this.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh... that! Yeah that makes sense, I don't know why I never thought of use that there. I was always locked into something that was like a fullscreen / maxmize icon for whatever reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

To me this is clearer than the plain square. It looks less like an import/export button.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

withak posted:

To me this is clearer than the plain square. It looks less like an import/export button.

Agreed. This icon set makes sense.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Dave posted:

I really like it.

That said, I'd also like the swipe left/right functionality back too. Pokeyman already confirmed its on the to-do list so I'll shut up. :)

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008
I would like to advocate a different idea actually. That is to use the design from the previous version: 1/3 width panel for thread/forum/bookmark list, and a 2/3 width panel for content. The list panel should automatically hide in portrait mode but not in landscape mode. If it's hidden a back/list button is placed in the top left above the content that restores the sidebar when pressed.

The reason this might not work with the current design is because of the space allocated to the forums, bookmarks, etc buttons. Given how much vertical space is currently free in this panel it's a complete waste of valuable screen estate. I remember seeing an argument to keep this design so that future functionality can be placed there. My argument is that that's in the future, solve that problem when it becomes a problem. Right now we have confused users and an awkward design because of it.

Thoughts?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

pokeyman posted:

After all that, can you pull the list down to trigger a refresh? Or does that stop working too? It's normal for just the thread you replied to to change its count and such, but it's definitely not normal for refresh to break on the whole list.

So, I'll post from the app and go back to my bookmarks. I'll then pull down to refresh the bookmarks, and the list doesn't refresh. The only thing that changes will be the post count for the thread I just posted in--it'll drop to zero and show I was the last person to post, but my bookmarks don't reorganize at all like they should after a refresh. :confused:

I'll see if I can get a screenshot after I post here to maybe show you...?

Edit:

I just realized how dumb it was to try and grab a snapshot when I'm describing a problem where things aren't moving appropriately, but this almost illustrates the issue? You can see I'm the last person to have posted in the thread, and the count is zero, but it's under other threads that haven't had more recent posts because the bookmarks aren't reordering in order of most recent posting. What the screenshot doesn't show is that I have more bookmarks above this shot as well.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 30, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Niemat posted:

So, I'll post from the app and go back to my bookmarks. I'll then pull down to refresh the bookmarks, and the list doesn't refresh. The only thing that changes will be the post count for the thread I just posted in--it'll drop to zero and show I was the last person to post, but my bookmarks don't reorganize at all like they should after a refresh. :confused:

I'll see if I can get a screenshot after I post here to maybe show you...?

Edit:

I just realized how dumb it was to try and grab a snapshot when I'm describing a problem where things aren't moving appropriately, but this almost illustrates the issue? You can see I'm the last person to have posted in the thread, and the count is zero, but it's under other threads that haven't had more recent posts because the bookmarks aren't reordering in order of most recent posting. What the screenshot doesn't show is that I have more bookmarks above this shot as well.

Do you really want to scroll past every thread in which you made a post in order to see other bookmarks? Or am I misunderstanding you? Might be a glitch, but having all of those threads you're presumably caught up with enough to post in at the top might not be the best behavior.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Last Chance posted:

Do you really want to scroll past every thread in which you made a post in order to see other bookmarks? Or am I misunderstanding you? Might be a glitch, but having all of those threads you're presumably caught up with enough to post in at the top might not be the best behavior.

Well, it's not necessarily that I need threads I've posted in at the top--I want it to register that threads are being updated, which it doesn't do after I post in a thread and force refresh.

Edit: Maybe I'm not explaining the issue correctly? And if I'm the only one having the issue, I can certainly just deal with it.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 30, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Niemat posted:

Well, it's not necessarily that I need threads I've posted in at the top--I want it to register that threads are being updated, which it doesn't do after I post in a thread and force refresh.

Edit: Maybe I'm not explaining the issue correctly? And if I'm the only one having the issue, I can certainly just deal with it.

I've definitely seen this, but I don't think it's happened consistently.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Niemat posted:

You can see I'm the last person to have posted in the thread, and the count is zero, but it's under other threads that haven't had more recent posts because the bookmarks aren't reordering in order of most recent posting. What the screenshot doesn't show is that I have more bookmarks above this shot as well.

Sometimes that just happens on the site. If I make a post in a browser, then quickly go to my bookmarks, as often as not the thread I posted in will have up-to-date info in its row yet its row hasn't moved. If I wait a minute and then go to my bookmarks, everything's ok.

Does that sound like what could be happening? Or are there other threads unexpectedly standing still in your bookmarks?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
On the topic of bookmark list reordering is a 'threads with new posts at the top' option coming anytime soon?

One of my favourite SALR features

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Niemat posted:

This happens to me about once a day or so. Sometimes threads I reply to don't refresh in the list until/unless I kill the app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

Sometimes that just happens on the site. If I make a post in a browser, then quickly go to my bookmarks, as often as not the thread I posted in will have up-to-date info in its row yet its row hasn't moved. If I wait a minute and then go to my bookmarks, everything's ok.

Does that sound like what could be happening? Or are there other threads unexpectedly standing still in your bookmarks?

That's by forums design. Chooch set the DB up to only recalculate thread list order once per minute or so.

A small issue: when viewing an image full screen, the text from the status bar still shows (in black). Is that a bug or an iOS 7 limitation?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

A small issue: when viewing an image full screen, the text from the status bar still shows (in black). Is that a bug or an iOS 7 limitation?

It's a bug due to iOS7 changes. Fixed in the next version.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

carry on then posted:

That's by forums design. Chooch set the DB up to only recalculate thread list order once per minute or so.
Chooch? That was a radium update back when the forums could barely render threads, if memory serves.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I can't get to the Football Funhouse. Every time I try to flip the carrot to bring out the SAS subforums on the top Forums list I get a crash to springboard. I can kill the app, but then I just find myself back in the thread I was looking at last before navigating to the Forums list.

This has seriously sucked for the Super Bowl. I've had to browse the thread in Safari, which sucks when you've got greasy hands covered in BBQ sauce and you're trying to hold your beer. I'm going to try rebooting my phone now, but really, the damage has been done... :smith:

Edit: reboot fixed it.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 3, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was also going to ask, could you go to a TFF bookmarked thread and hit the Parent Forum button to get there?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I can't get to the Football Funhouse. Every time I try to flip the carrot to bring out the SAS subforums on the top Forums list I get a crash to springboard. I can kill the app, but then I just find myself back in the thread I was looking at last before navigating to the Forums list.

This has seriously sucked for the Super Bowl. I've had to browse the thread in Safari, which sucks when you've got greasy hands covered in BBQ sauce and you're trying to hold your beer. I'm going to try rebooting my phone now, but really, the damage has been done... :smith:

Edit: reboot fixed it.

Sorry about that. ultramiraculous has your back. Should be fixed next version.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I realise I'm probably being a massive idiot, but how do you see under the black spoiler bar when it's in a post. I've tried holding the word or phrase but all that comes up is "copy" or "define". I remember it worked in the old version, but can't get it to work in the new version.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tap

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tap on the spoiler bar.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just had a strange failure state. I clicked on a username who posted in a thread and selected the option to send them a PM. I typed the PM and hit Send and it did something and Send turned from white to grey. At which point it became impossible to hit cancel or anything else to get back to any other part of the app. Had to kill it. Don't know if the PM was actually sent.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just had a strange failure state. I clicked on a username who posted in a thread and selected the option to send them a PM. I typed the PM and hit Send and it did something and Send turned from white to grey. At which point it became impossible to hit cancel or anything else to get back to any other part of the app. Had to kill it. Don't know if the PM was actually sent.

I think it was probably sent, and (I think) Froist has fixed that problem for the next version. Sorry about that.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I can't figure out how to update the forums list, every time I try to find the Olympics forum my app crashes. (iPad 2)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

hollylolly posted:

I can't figure out how to update the forums list, every time I try to find the Olympics forum my app crashes. (iPad 2)

Try logging out then back in, if you can get that far.

Fixed in the next version, which is off to the App Store Review Team today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Fixed in the next version, which is off to the App Store Review Team today!
Yo just a little FYI you guys rule.

• Locked thread