Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vargatron posted:

"Reconstellate the firmament" is probably the best lyric I have ever heard.

I'm partial to "Phallus dei, erect from pole to pole"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Von Sloneker posted:

Oh, WIITR update, new (sort of) album:
Oh boy, let's all piggyback on Katatonia's Dethroned and Uncrowned but with a Brian Eno twist

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
WitTR going prog electronic actually sounds pretty goddamn neat. My favorite track of theirs is Dia Artio, so more ambient material could be real good.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Misogynist posted:

Oh boy, let's all piggyback on Katatonia's Dethroned and Uncrowned but with a Brian Eno twist

Dethroned was great and I am totally okay with any (every?) metal band doing this sorry. :3:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

WitTR going prog electronic actually sounds pretty goddamn neat. My favorite track of theirs is Dia Artio, so more ambient material could be real good.

That was exactly what I thought when reading the piece. Always wanted them to explore that side of their sound more, so I'm pretty excited!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That Behemoth song was loving badass.
Also, it left me with the urge to listen to some Vader.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

My copy of the Demilich's 20th Adversary of Emptiness arrived today (not bad for free shipping from Svart) and it kicks rear end! Well ok we already knew that, but I think the remaster sounds really drat good. I recommend it if you haven't already picked it up.

I like how it sounds so odd and twisted, but isn't a wall of noise or sludge and nothing is burried. Going to have to give it several more spins now.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
How are the new tracks? I've been looking forward to those.

My transparent red 3LP set just shipped :hellyeah:

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

DroneRiff posted:

My copy of the Demilich's 20th Adversary of Emptiness arrived today (not bad for free shipping from Svart) and it kicks rear end! Well ok we already knew that, but I think the remaster sounds really drat good. I recommend it if you haven't already picked it up.

I like how it sounds so odd and twisted, but isn't a wall of noise or sludge and nothing is burried. Going to have to give it several more spins now.

Some of the worst vocals I have ever heard. Actually made me feel like gagging. It's a shame because the music was great.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I still need to spin the new tracks actually, haven't had time yet. I have my fingers crossed for them though.

Reminds me that I saw a copy of Nespithe in HMV about 10 years ago. When I later found out what I'd missed, I kicked myself. But now I'm sort of glad, as I had a reason to get the collection. It does seem to be the thing to reissue lost classics these days. Like the Timeghoul best of, etc.

As for the vocals, I know they're odd and I really dig them. Plus in the world of extreme metal, they're neither that odd nor disturbing, though I see how they can be a poster childer for "Haha listen to this weird metal stuff, it's terrible!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Disliking Antti Boman's vocals is basically a character flaw

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nihil morari posted:

Some of the worst vocals I have ever heard. Actually made me feel like gagging. It's a shame because the music was great.

- Demon Toad (who takes the earthshape of Antti Boman) is an amazing vocalist
- The vocals are the most well-known thing about Demilich so you should have been drat well prepared

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I never heard of the band before. Anyway, not my cup of tea. It's always really disappointing when I find cool music but the vocalist ruins it for me. Happens a lot in metal :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you normally like harsh vocals at all? I always thought it was weird when people claim to like metal instrumentation but get turned off by the vocals. Death metal with cleanly sung vocals would sound really stupid.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
It really depends on the guy's voice. I like Opeth and just recently came into liking Deafheaven (although I found their sound to straddle a line between metal and something else), Entombed. Looking through my music folder I definitely lean more towards 'harsh' vocals from bands like Psykup, Strapping Young Lad, At The Gates, The Haunted (either vocalist).

Speaking of clean vocals, I really liked this band's new EP. Metal bordering some sort of post-rock sound I guess? Whatever, sounds good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301oh8ab9_g

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 29, 2014

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Bitchin'. The Behemoth album just leaked.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 29, 2014

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Varg posted:

Jose Mangin's host slot on Liquid Metal in the late afternoon weekdays is pretty good though, he usually plays good poo poo and gets a lot of cool interviews with people.

That guy is a loving tool and that's why the station sucks. It was ok years back before he ran it (playing mostly a lot of pantera, slayer, megadeth and poo poo). I don't know what they do now a days but they used to have a decent Death/Black/Grind/Gore hour every day and Ian Christy (he's an alright dude) had a great metal history show. Either way, it's 90% garbage they play tons of poo poo that's not even considered metal.

If you like classic rock, Ozzy's Boneyard is pretty decent. They'll play the usual classic rock songs and mix it in with some Megadeth, Motorhead, Meryfulfate, and a little Manowar here and there (and other classic bands that don't start with M).

Now if you want good a "curated" music show with good underground metal, go subscribe to Hell Cast. It's part metal talk show part radio show. It's by far the best choice when listening to poo poo in the car.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Houseplant posted:

Oh my god I am going to blast out 90,000lb squats tonight.

Hail satan.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Amon Amarth show was canceled tonight, son of a bitch. Its like in 87 when I had tickets to the and justice tour, was going to be my first concert. We got over a foot of snow and my ride didn't want to drive the 2 hours in it. Only today its a half inch of sorta snow/ice. We must look like ridiculous pussies to the Swedes/Norwegians.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fingers McGee posted:

Amon Amarth show was canceled tonight, son of a bitch. Its like in 87 when I had tickets to the and justice tour, was going to be my first concert. We got over a foot of snow and my ride didn't want to drive the 2 hours in it. Only today its a half inch of sorta snow/ice. We must look like ridiculous pussies to the Swedes/Norwegians.

Aw drat it, I was on the fence about whether or not to drive to Charlotte for that.

Guess my mind is made up now!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Metal Blade providing your psychedelic doom fix between Blood Ceremony releases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-SlLxeTdMk

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You guys are acting like Amon Amarth doesn't tour the US twice a year.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Haggins posted:

You guys are acting like Amon Amarth doesn't tour the US twice a year.

Not with Enslaved they don't.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Amazon is having a huge sale on metal albums for the next day or two. I'm not a big metalhead but I loving love Pig Destroyer and would like to check out some more grind. Any recommendations?

And yes, I have heard Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not as groovy as Piggy D but I really like Discordance Axis and Wormrot.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm not a big metalhead but I loving love Pig Destroyer and would like to check out some more grind. Any recommendations?

Antigama.
(I don't think they're part of that sale, however.)

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Houseplant posted:

It's missing 2 tracks but it's still loving great, their best work so far imo.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

Amazon is having a huge sale on metal albums for the next day or two. I'm not a big metalhead but I loving love Pig Destroyer and would like to check out some more grind. Any recommendations?

Dead in the Dirt, Maruta, Insect Warfare, and Rotten Sound.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Happy Hippo posted:

Seconding Antigama, Maruta, Discordance Axis, and Wormrot. Also would like to recommend The Berzerker for crazy cybergrind and Gridlink if you like Discordance Axis, because it's a Jon Chang project.

Oh yeah and goregrind also owns, look into Lymphatic Phlegm, Regurgitate, Catasexual Urge Motivation, and Last Days of Humanity for sure.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Hayaino Daisuki is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YtItmbyI28

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fingers McGee posted:

Yeah :( now I have to decide whether or not to take a punt and drive to Norfolk knowing that if it gets called tomorrow night it won't be until I'm basically there already. Anyone interested in 2 tickets @ face value for them tonight in Norfolk?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 30, 2014

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Anyone else dig Obliteration's album last year? I'm super stoked on it along with pretty much anything that has that ugly blackened death rawness. Any other recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufm0ZEMnZsI

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Happy Hippo posted:

http://puigdestroyer.bandcamp.com/album/puig-destroyer

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fingers McGee posted:

You look like ridiculous pussies to DC. No need to get into Scandinavia.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Not with Enslaved they don't.

No but enslaved tours here all the time too. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen enslaved with amon amarth before.

IRQ posted:

You look like ridiculous pussies to DC. No need to get into Scandinavia.

Seriously. Shows in Boston still happen when the city declares a state of emergency for blizzard conditions.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Word has it that the canceled NC date of the Amon Amarth show will be rescheduled on a US tour in the fall.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Morbid Florist posted:

Seriously. Shows in Boston still happen when the city declares a state of emergency for blizzard conditions.

Boston is a little better prepared for this sort of weather than southern states. It's still funny though, I was out working in -35 degree weather this past week doing snow removal.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Morbid Florist posted:

For some reason, US northerners don't seem to understand that southerners don't just have salt trucks and snow plows lying in wait on the off chance that snow is going to happen. We also don't have snow tires/chains just lying around in our garages.

On topic, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the new Behemoth. I haven't really been a fan since Satanica though.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

The eastern part of the state had some issues. The roads in Charlotte were fine last night, I've seen them worse in the rain. Just a ridiculous knee jerk reaction. But I digress, I need to find something new to listen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Fingers McGee posted:

The eastern part of the state had some issues. The roads in Charlotte were fine last night, I've seen them worse in the rain. Just a ridiculous knee jerk reaction. But I digress, I need to find something new to listen too.

New as in late 2013/early 2014 release, or new to you? What do you like?