Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

unlawfulsoup posted:

Why would a company name their guitar dinky. D:

Sorry that is worthless, but it just made me scratch my head.

It's called "Dinky" because the body is 7/8ths the size of a regular strat body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Side Effects posted:

It's called "Dinky" because the body is 7/8ths the size of a regular strat body.

I never actually knew that. It makes sense that I find those bodies to be infinitely more comfortable than Strats though.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

unlawfulsoup posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with classic vibe telecasters? I might be able to get one for really cheap, and I hear good things.

edit: A 50's style one apparently.

Yeah, buy it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I own one, when I bought it I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, when I left the store.

Now I'm not sure if it's my favorite or my second favorite guitar.

Hell, I almost want another one so that I could put humbuckers in it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hahaha the Sheffield speakers in this 5150 cab are so lovely I can get a near octave effect from the cone cry. Going to try to get a sound snippet of this, it's hilarious.

Edit: well gently caress, or it could be red plating a tube on the Jub...poo poo... Nothing like the sudden smell of fried electronic smoke in the studio to start the day off.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 30, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a chance to buy an early 90s flying V standard with seymour duncan antiquities. I checked up on those pickups and this is the description I found:

quote:

The Seymour Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers are made to look and sound like a well-worn '50s humbucker as originally designed by Seth E. Lover. The pickups are built to traditional standards. Each has its own character and DC resistance, just like the originals. The nickel silver cover and the poles are aged to give the player a pickup that looks like it's been played regularly for 40 years.

The neck position model includes a front-tapered mounting ring and the screws that go with it.

Like the neck position model, the bridge position humbucker is a faithful replica of the great sounding "patent applied for" humbuckers that Seth E. Lover designed in 1955. The bridge pickup is wound a little hotter and better balanced for its position. The mounting ring is slightly higher for the increased pickup height.

Both pickups are not wax potted to retain the sound and appearance of the originals. Again, each pickup is built by hand in the "Antiquity" room and every magnet and bottom plate are signed to guarantee that you are getting an original Seymour W. Duncan Antiquity.

Sounds dumb as hell honestly. I feel that these pickups might reduce the value of the guitar. Thoughts? If this thing is in good condition when I see it what would be a fair offer?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I have a chance to buy an early 90s flying V standard with seymour duncan antiquities. I checked up on those pickups and this is the description I found:

Sounds dumb as hell honestly. I feel that these pickups might reduce the value of the guitar. Thoughts? If this thing is in good condition when I see it what would be a fair offer?
Those are REALLY good sounding pickups, they would make me lean more towards picking up a guitar, but i don't know a about any added value.

The ad copy might be dumb (I'd never read it before, I knew they were hand wound in vintage machines, w/e) but they're legit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Antiquities are just regular pickups with a relic job done to them and kinda NOS style so take that as you will.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dirty, gross-rear end pickups that may possibly have infectious diseases hiding in the wiring look cool, in my opinion.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
So I had hoped to actually read through the whole thread before posting, but I need some help. It's starting to keep me from wanting to practice.

I very recently started playing an old acoustic-electric guitar my wife has had sitting unused since the 90's. It's in surprisingly good shape all things considered.

About 1 month ago I had it set up professionally, which did make it about 100 times easier to play because they lowered the action quite significantly from the factory preset (it was not longer near impossible to get some strings pressed down!). They also fixed the jack which had fallen into the guitar, and replaced the strings.

But, when I got it home one thing I noticed was some string buzz. This didn't happen in the store when I picked it up (as far as I could notice). I googled around, and figured it was the new strings settling in. It's still there nearly a month later. I also have started to more closely catalog the problems and wonder if anyone has some suggestions:

1) The biggest culprit is the G string, although the A string will also buzz but not as strongly. The B/high e string rarely if ever buzz. The low E and D string will randomly buzz some days/times but not others. If it buzzes, it will buzz regardless of if the string is played open or fretted. The only exception is the low E string, which will sometimes buzz only if fretted (more below)

2) If you tap on the body of the guitar, you hear buzzing. Seems to be coming from the bridge/saddle area, and sometimes pushing down on it can mean I can play strings without buzzing (seems to be rare if so)

3) The biggest WTF for me is if I have the guitar laying flat in my lap, as if it was laying on a table, I do not have any buzzing from ANY strings. This includes the low e when fretted and the A & G strings; no buzzing at all.

Since around a month has passed, I doubt I can take it back to the place where it was setup for free. The kick in the balls is that the setup cost $90, and while the buzzing is really discouraging me from playing more I also don't want to drop another $90 into a $199 guitar from the 90's.

I have two things I think it could be: The cord for the jack, or the bridge/saddle. If I move the guitar up and around you can sometimes hear the cord move so if could be that.

How do I go about figuring out which is the culprit? If it's the cord, how the hell do you secure it? Do I have to sacrifice the strings on it or can you loosen it enough to get your hands in there and then just re-tighten after fixing the cord? I've also wondered if the ball end of the strings is somehow loose and that is what's vibrating...

Hawkeye fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 31, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Hawkeye posted:

So I had hoped to actually read through the whole thread before posting, but I need some help. It's starting to keep me from wanting to practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-sMpZumuMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfv7FOoYpos

I'm having a hard time determining from what you wrote if the frets are buzzing or if it's more like the loose brace in video 2. Or both! These may help.

And no, you probably shouldn't spend another $100 on this guitar. (90$ for a setup is mighty hefty, too.) Sight the neck like he says, and see what is happening. You might fix some of it with just a truss rod adjustment; although the poo poo going on in the body sounds like it could be a loose brace or like you said with the electronics.

If you have a friend who is more knowledgeable, let them eyeball it. It's really hard to figure these types of things over the internet.

Acoustic guitars have alot going on in terms of what can cause problems. Also, I don't know where you live, but it's really cold in the USA right now, and alot of people have their heaters cranked. This can drastically lower the humidity and wreck a good guitar setup, as the wood shrinks.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 31, 2014

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Funny that I stumbled into Squier Telecaster chat, I have a question in a similar direction. I've been playing bass in bands for a few years now, and I've been trying to get make the jump to guitar for a while. I've been practicing chord chord changes and could probably pass as second/rhythm guitarist in a band. Still working on scales and soloing, but that's a different post. The meat is that I've been doing all of this on a no-name strat clone. It works, but it was only $50, so I don't feel too bad about looking for something that would excite me more. I was toying with ordering an Agile, imagining a never ending world of sustain and string bends, but I slowly started to realize I might be a Telecaster guy. I need that icepick bridge pickup. However, I'm looking at specifically at the Vintage Modified Tele Custom (tele bridge pup, humbucker neck pup) or the Vintage Modified Tele Special (tele bridge pup, Jazzmaster neck pup, Jazzmaster neck). I have no special knowledge of Jazzmaster pickups, and I'm leaning hard towards the Tele Custom. Does anyone want to tell me I'm wrong? I know that getting into the store and playing it is the ultimate test, but these particular strains of Squier don't seem to be selling in quite the same amounts as the straight ahead VM and CV Teles, so I'm not 100% how easily I will be able to find one.

tl; dr - is the VM Tele Custom the best of both worlds, pickup wise, or is that configuration actually a lemon?

For reference, I'm all about super shrill post-punk guitars, crunchy riffs, and garage/psych fuzzed beyond recognition to the point which the pickups never mattered.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think just go with whatever strikes your fancy more.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I put some ebony bridge pins in my D-15 to give it more of that old school look (which I think the newer D-15M models did as well anyway, so maybe it is a new school retro throwback thursday look)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bread Dragon posted:

For reference, I'm all about super shrill post-punk guitars, crunchy riffs, and garage/psych fuzzed beyond recognition to the point which the pickups never mattered.

Sounds like a Jazzmaster man if I ever heard one. Go to your local guitar store and try both of them, or if you can't, play a Tele with a neck humbucker and then play the neck pickup of a Jazzmaster, and see which one tickles your fancy more.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Bread Dragon posted:

Funny that I stumbled into Squier Telecaster chat, I have a question in a similar direction. I've been playing bass in bands for a few years now, and I've been trying to get make the jump to guitar for a while. I've been practicing chord chord changes and could probably pass as second/rhythm guitarist in a band. Still working on scales and soloing, but that's a different post. The meat is that I've been doing all of this on a no-name strat clone. It works, but it was only $50, so I don't feel too bad about looking for something that would excite me more. I was toying with ordering an Agile, imagining a never ending world of sustain and string bends, but I slowly started to realize I might be a Telecaster guy. I need that icepick bridge pickup. However, I'm looking at specifically at the Vintage Modified Tele Custom (tele bridge pup, humbucker neck pup) or the Vintage Modified Tele Special (tele bridge pup, Jazzmaster neck pup, Jazzmaster neck). I have no special knowledge of Jazzmaster pickups, and I'm leaning hard towards the Tele Custom. Does anyone want to tell me I'm wrong? I know that getting into the store and playing it is the ultimate test, but these particular strains of Squier don't seem to be selling in quite the same amounts as the straight ahead VM and CV Teles, so I'm not 100% how easily I will be able to find one.

tl; dr - is the VM Tele Custom the best of both worlds, pickup wise, or is that configuration actually a lemon?

My band jams with reverb, echo, roto, fuzzed out and completely drenched. I've played with all sorts of combinations, but at that point it doesn't really matter what pickups you have. If you like the Tele then go with the Tele, especially if that's what you're most comfortable with.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Bread Dragon posted:

Just piping in with my $0.02 as a Jazzmaster guy, but if you're going to have a guitar with Jazzmaster pickups, it needs to either have one in the bridge (to get some cool not-quite-tele twang), or it needs to have them in both positions (for the great glassy inbetween sounds, that I personally believe can only be rivaled by an ES-335). That said, a stock tele setup is pretty drat good for almost anything. The bridge has enough girth to be useful for any lead tones; and I love my CV Tele's neck pickup, it actually reminds me of an acoustic tone somewhat and I love it for a clean rhythm tone.

That said, I have never tried a tele with humbuckers in it, so I couldn't give any input on that. Though since it is the second most popular Tele alternative (right behind the Esquire) I'd imagine that it works really well, so I'd lean towards that.

Ultimately just try all of the ones that you can get your hands on, then make a decision. I'd also reccommend trying a Squier VM Jazzmaster or Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster if you can happen to find one. They work well with pretty much most of the distortion/fuzz I've thrown at it (the secret's in the tone knob!), and their 1M pots also help give it a shrill sound if you need it. Though on the other hand they aren't really good for sustain, so that's a compromise. Though Tele's still work awesomely for your position, and pretty much anything else you'll ever need.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I had the VM Tele with the Jazzmaster neck pickup. It was really a sweet guitar, but I never really played it with the other stuff in the house. The JM neck pickup was like a nice fat single coil sound-wise.

You can always put a humbucker in the Jazzmaster position if you drill two small holes for the adjustment screws to sit in.

If you go the JM neck pickup route, I have that HB Pickguard kicking around that I can sell you for the cost of shipping. :3:

Edit: the only reason I sold it was because I knew I could order a new one whenever and wanted to free up some cash for some other purchases. The guy who bought it loves it as much as I did.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 31, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Unless you or someone else specifically put a JM pup in there then that was most likely a P90, which is just fine and dandy in it's own right.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I should not be this loving giddy over a guitar pick but HOLY loving poo poo Ultex Jazz III XL's are due out in February! I've tried strumming with the regular Ultex Jazz III's and can never get a consistent rhythm down for longer than a week, then I try alternate picking with a larger pick that works fine with strumming and the attack feels all wrong. Gonna order a shitload as soon as they're available in the UK.

Ultex Jazz III XL

Also available in Tortex if you're some kind of monster who enjoys playing with artificial turtle corpses over artificial human fingernails.

Tortex Jazz III XL

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Verizian posted:

I should not be this loving giddy over a guitar pick but HOLY loving poo poo Ultex Jazz III XL's are due out in February! I've tried strumming with the regular Ultex Jazz III's and can never get a consistent rhythm down for longer than a week, then I try alternate picking with a larger pick that works fine with strumming and the attack feels all wrong. Gonna order a shitload as soon as they're available in the UK.

Ultex Jazz III XL

Also available in Tortex if you're some kind of monster who enjoys playing with artificial turtle corpses over artificial human fingernails.

Tortex Jazz III XL

Make it a Max Grip Jazz III XL and I'll jizz everywhere.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If these names keep getting longer they won't even fit on the picks.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

duckfarts posted:

I love my max grip picks. I bought a whole bunch of different picks to try out, but those are definitely my favorite by far. They're also a lot smaller than the other picks I bought and broke me of my three finger picking habit.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Unless you or someone else specifically put a JM pup in there then that was most likely a P90, which is just fine and dandy in it's own right.

It's a Jazzmaster pickup. Fender/Squier put it there.

The neck is also from a Jazzmaster on that model.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

duckfarts posted:

First thing I thought of. I loved the regular Jazz III's, but I got a 6 pack of the carbon ones and holy poo poo they're amazing.

I still strum with a .60 nylon one though. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He means that the "Jazzmaster" pickups Fender puts in lower end guitars (including the fender line) Aren't the same as quote-unquote "actual" jazzmaster pickups, and are constructed differently. They use magnets under the base of the pickup instead of the polepieces themselves being the magnets, along with some other differences I can't remember off the top of my head.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

They're wound much taller and narrow, as opposed to wide and flat.

But the Duncan Designed Jazzmaster pickups, I really don't know. I've never seen one taken apart.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

muike posted:

He means that the "Jazzmaster" pickups Fender puts in lower end guitars (including the fender line) Aren't the same as quote-unquote "actual" jazzmaster pickups, and are constructed differently. They use magnets under the base of the pickup instead of the polepieces themselves being the magnets, along with some other differences I can't remember off the top of my head.

They're literally P90s in a Jazzmaster cover.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They're literally P90s in a Jazzmaster cover.

Consider me educated. :3:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Verizian posted:

Ultex Jazz III XL

Tortex Jazz III XL

If only ultex didn't wear down just from looking at it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Every pick I use wears down within like 3 minutes of playing, so i've just kind of accepted it and stuck with the max grip jazz IIIs. wanna try the 'trooch picks though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

comes along bort posted:

Excuse me it has a rhino on it

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Verizian posted:

Ultex Jazz III XL

Tortex Jazz III XL

I like picks sometimes, sometimes I like expensive picks

but in this case I am looking forward to some Jazz III XLs made from Ultem. It's a great material and that's my favorite conventional shape (Ultex = what Dunlop calls Ultem, which... well, it has gently caress all to do with fingernails but if that's what it sounds like to you, awesome, it's just a PEEK alternative with less rigorous general characteristics, and much more affordable than most other PEEK alternatives).

Definitely going to be picking up a 12-pack when they become available. Though gently caress the new Primetones, they look to be carrying on the tradition of blowing at trying to emulate boutique picks - last time it was Wegen and they sucked, now it's Blue Chip and given the material they're using and its total lack of things in common with the Meldon 7000 family of plastics, it's very likely gonna suck... but I guess I should reserve judgment :sigh:

Ultem is one of the very few materials I'm totally fine with anywhere 1mm and up, usually if it's lower than 1.5mm I can't enjoy using it much. Past experience with Clayton Ultem tells me these are fine, and past experience with ordering every possible material composition currently used to make a Jazz III and Jazz XL shape tells me I will love these :neckbeard:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 1, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Woah there bort you're going off the reservation here reign it in, reign it in. Pretty much any flavor of Ultem PEI has really good abrasion resistance and pretty damned low friction combined with good tensile strength - it is a "like PEEK but much cheaper" plastic, after all - and you'd have to be playing massive gauges or just abusing the loving poo poo out of your guitar to break them quickly. I mean if you are, fair enough :kiddo:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's not just me though, you can find plenty of examples of people complaining about it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

It's not just me though, you can find plenty of examples of people complaining about it.

People who tend to complain about "x" material getting worn down quickly often wear down EVERYTHING quickly, usually because they play with a very aggressive picking style. By contrast I use a really light touch, so I haven't even ever managed to buff an unbuffed V-Pick through playing it, which is kind of unusual; if you were to ask me to stand and deliver a testimony to the durability of materials, subjectively, I'd state that everything but Vinyl and the specific composition of polycarbonate used in Lexan seem to hold up really nicely in my experience.

I'd have people backing me up on how quickly vinyl and Lexan big stubbies wear out, too, but that's a materials mismatch between the extremely sharp bevel and inappropriate plastics for the job, really. Though vinyl is just soft as hell and is going to wear out quickly pretty much regardless, it's definitely been demonstrated that Dunlop can make polycarbonate picks that last longer - I mentioned before that I don't like the Primetone picks, but they don't wear out easily at all despite having a pretty grippy bevel that catches the strings ore than you'd normally want - it's just the Lexan used in the big stubbies and their particular bevel that first goes uneven then goes to poo poo super fast.

I think we'll likely all have pretty different experiences when it comes to wear since wear level on a given pick comes down to idiosyncratic technique related stuff as much as the actual materials involved. Though anyone that can make a vinyl pick last a long time has a touch light enough to be a jewel thief, switch careers to that life of crime you've always wanted!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Man I love you cobalts but you are not a good combo with some amps or pickups

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Pickup adjustment and EQ diddling helps. Crazy loving strings though. I've had some on my 7 for months and months and months and they sound new and the first three strings have no signs of wear or anything. Hilarious considering most EB strings die in days for me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

No poo poo, when they're in the right setup they're loving awesome tho', I usually run them on my CU24, they brighten it up quite a bit and give a nice chimey ring to it.

I realized recently that I've started playing around with strings like Agreed has about pics (and I'm SO trying to get used to the V picks, they're so different but I like them, but they really serve to highlight my flawed techniques). I used EB Regular Slinkys from the time I was 14 or so until just a year or two ago, always had the mentality of 'well they work so how different could anything else really be?'.

A LOT.
Plus, it's fun trying things out, gives me an excuse to lay tracks to compare and play with.

RE: PickChat
A lot of talk has been had about technique, pick attack and pick wear, so I was putting my things away and thought I'd throw this up.
This pick was new when I fired up this morning, this is after about 6 hours of actual playing time.

Also, just for fun, as I was untangling and sorting cables earlier, I realized that I've pretty much played exclusively through this thing since I was 14 or 15, which would mean I've had this cable for 23 or 24 years now (Fake Edit: I just Googled them, and this means I would have bought this not long after they started up). It's been hauled literally all over the world, in all kinds of conditions, almost every gig or every studio session I've ever played in, it's been stuffed in every type of container known to man, folded, wrapped, tossed, beaten and abused and has never required any type of repair short of washing fluids off of it a few times. Gotta tell you, it's a weird thing to suddenly have a drat cable make you feel all nostalgic and poo poo, but this little dude's been with me almost the whole time.

Also, just for reminiscing's sake:

That's the bitch that started it all. My first amp.
Up until this point it was all begged, borrowed and 'borrowed' gear, but this changed EVERYTHING.
Played lovely little podunk VFW halls, Moose Lodges, parties, abandoned school basketball court concerts (holy poo poo I'd almost forgotten about those, MAN they were fun!) and all sorts of poo poo.

drat, this has really gotten me to thinking about the old days, now I have an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've played .6 picks for years and posted about them a bunch in this thread and now my instructor is twisting my arm tyring to get me to switch to jazz IIIs :negative: