Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Desideratus posted:

I TAKE REQUESTS.

A lightsaber. Please, a craftable high tier lightsaber. Not sure how to do colored ones though.

Stormtrooper Armor?

Darth Vader outfit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Exploration Enhanced 'special' planets should not change in my opinion. It's up to the player to visit them. It does remove a whole ton of the grinding part of sitting there for ages mining to get the ore you need to go up in levels. But it also makes the exploration part of the game more enjoyable in my opinion. I can actually explore the land rather than need to go and mine out some coal to make sure I can change the planet I'm on and not be trapped.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Desideratus posted:

I TAKE REQUESTS.

A usable gravity slam that affects whatever's targeted, ala blink. (Will probably/definitely not work)

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Blhue posted:

There are a few mushroom guy set pieces that involve them holding floran npcs hostage. I assume there's some story reason for it, but we don't have codex entries about it yet.

Yeah, I've seen a few of those:

mushroom people guarding a plantblock mound topped with a bidet,

Floran merchant in a lava cauldron

It would certainly make an interesting story.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What biome/planet types are you likely to find mushroom men on?

Haven't come across any yet.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

VodeAndreas posted:

What biome/planet types are you likely to find mushroom men on?

Haven't come across any yet.

Just remember when you find them that the guys in a single room (usually undeground or under a shroom house) with a wooden crate are vendors. There's literally nothing to clue you in to this unless someone tells you or you accidentally press e on one of them like I did.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there anyway to change the teleport location on a planet? I found an awesome, massive ape village, but it's a five minute walk away from my spawn point.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has anyone got coords on a human marine base with an oven to plunder? Having a cooking fire or one of the glitch/floran cooking pots doesn't exactly mesh with my titanium space fortress.

Edit: X 80954482 Y 33158276, Delta Gamma Equ 9681 I b. A few minutes left of spawn in is a glitch castle. Assuming non-chest container loot isn't completely random, the please is a goldmine of codex entries and recipes. Also, full wizard outfit. I discovered something kinda funny there too. Glitch guards carry crossbows as their ranged weapon, which they'll use within certain distance ranges. The projectile drop on their crossbows is such that, if you're standing on the same height, most of their arrows will hit the ground before they even hit you at their max range.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 30, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Because I am insane, I spent probably 30 mintues with the diamond pickaxe slowly removing the prison bars from one yard alone, so I could make a properly thematic double high fence in ANOTHER yard for the Dragon Boss.

Tl:DR Boss Fight: Thank God for the Titanium Spear. The RNG saw fit to only bless me with a 11 DPS, 9 Damage per shot handgun (in that very prison). So the range of the spear meant I could actually HIT the boss, whether or not it decided it's wing flaps counted as a melee attack or not at an given moment, hitting me when I wasn't even anywhere near touching the wings or dragon. Things were a little too crazy for me to remember about that shock prod off in the Zero slot :downs:, but it's tiny lightning bolt and less total damage on bolt+stab probably wouldn't have gone much faster.

Still went through all 20 nanobandages I mad, and 7 out of 10 red stims I found (blue jump stim didn't make a difference, Green stim just made controlling dodges harder). But either half or more of the damage was from taking the fight into Stab Town, because the RNG did not bless me and I did not Gamefaqs my way to a bazooka.

Still a more satisfying fight than the UFO though, because at least the Dragon doesn't always try to fly up and away from you. Even if I could have died in this one (almost did several times) compared to sleeping through the UFO battle.

Blew all my titanium and thus durasteel supply prepping for some asteroid mining in that huge gamma quadrant field I saw. It was novelty, but it wore out it's welcome. Every single little base has a broken cabinet and some small metal crates. Every single broken cabinet had a random weapon that would be ashamed to be compared to steel or Iron. every single crate had 1-5 pixels, sometimes there would be a single bomb, or some copper bars, nothing of note.

While sporting a diamond drill, grappling hook gun, and double jump... The amount of effort to get all that ore through asteroid and magma rock, despite there always being SOME kind of ore visible (coal is still super rare and in small bits, titanium was nowhere near as frequent as copper-plat), carefully navigating around and slowly breaking my way through tough space rocks was nowhere near as rewarding as surface runs or deep digging.

And then when "night" fell, swarms of animals with wind gust breath would spawn and try to hurl me into oblivion :ohdear:. I stuck it out till I went up from about empty on titanium to 500 ore though, so the metal is THERE if a hassle to get to despite often being in plain sight. I think my coal went up by like, 50 tops in the process and no plutonium to be found (guess that's Delta onwards).

EDIT: Hindsight, Why didn't I ever run inside the prison during the boss fight to heal? Guess after all that effort setting up a Cage Match, I couldn't bring myself to leave it/I am a moron.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 30, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Asteroid field bases are always going to be poo poo in crates and a broken cabinet, but once you get to tier 4 or 5, the cabinets will have guns like 90% of the time. Easiest way to get tier 10 weapons. :getin:

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Wow, I got a lot of responses! Pretty cool!

Luminaflare posted:

If you're still taking requests I'd like to see the physical allomancy from mistborn modded in somehow. For reference look under physical metals on here: http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Allomancy
This is on a list to look at; There's a good chance I'll have to wait until techs are more readily modifiable and changable, because I suspect that's how I'll have to script it. It's a pretty cool idea though, especially in a resource-themed game like this one!

Mzbundifund posted:

Please rename this to Vend-o-Bat tia

Babe Magnet posted:

Call it the Russian Roulette
I liked both of these a lot, so done and done!

m.hache posted:

Desideratus: A suggestion. Metallic Rich environments may need to be looked at. It's Too rich.
Yeah, they're incredibly (Almost comically) ore heavy, and while I may dial it back a little, I do always intend for them to be kinda cheesy, specifically because:

IAmTheRad posted:

Exploration Enhanced 'special' planets should not change in my opinion. It's up to the player to visit them. It does remove a whole ton of the grinding part of sitting there for ages mining to get the ore you need to go up in levels. But it also makes the exploration part of the game more enjoyable in my opinion. I can actually explore the land rather than need to go and mine out some coal to make sure I can change the planet I'm on and not be trapped.
This. While I agree that if you enjoy the vanilla mining-and-gathering replay they're decidedly OP, a lot of people don't necessarily want to grind minerals in the depths of a planet forever. Some people wanna dig deep, scrounging for ores in the depths of a planet, and some people just wanna nab a bunch of ores and roam the universe; Both of these are pretty cool :)

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you're still doing this, I'd love some sort of teleport beacon so I can change my beam-down point. Maybe something that gets one use at lower tech levels; you place it before returning to your ship, then when you beam back down you go to that point but the thing breaks. Then you can have a reusable one at higher tech or something.
I actually tried this in my Exploration Enhanced mod; Sadly, there's just no way to do it yet :saddowns:
The moment it's possible though, expect it to show up!

E-Tank posted:

A lightsaber. Please, a craftable high tier lightsaber. Not sure how to do colored ones though.

Stormtrooper Armor?

Darth Vader outfit?
This Star Wars mod is pretty baller, though it does have a good deal of content you may or may not care about; It also doesn't have lightsabers yet, and I can do those pretty easily, so I'll be making them for ya~

InfinityComplex posted:

A usable gravity slam that affects whatever's targeted, ala blink. (Will probably/definitely not work)
I'll look at co-opting the weird gravity reversing move that some enemies now have and tinkering with it as a tech; I have no idea how viable it will be, though :)

I'm also gonna quote this 'cause it got buried a couple pages ago:

Desideratus posted:

:siren: Oh hey, I guess I'll just leave this here :siren:

It's the early version of my Advanced Workstations mod!

Here's what it currently includes:
  • Industrial Smelter: This upgraded smelter converts ores to bars faster than you can imagine, up to 500 bars at a time! Just be careful, trying to craft more than 500 may eat ore, since the game doesn't really handle pulling from multiple stacks.
  • Bulk Refinery: An enhanced refinery that can convert up to 1,000 ore or bars into pixels at once! You'll never be poor again!

Here's what I'm gonna add in the next couple days:
  • Medical Station: Here you can craft all manner of stims and medical supplies! FDA supervision not included.
  • Bomb-Making Shop: Because it's scientifically proven that more explosions === more better. Will include a couple new types of bomb, mainly meant for destroying tiles.
  • Vend-A-Blade: A vending machine that takes pixels and dispenses a random melee weapon, complete with a small chance of a rare drop!
  • Vend-A-Gun: A vending machine that takes pixels and dispenses a random gun, complete with a small chance of a rare drop!

Not gonna lie, this one was totally rushed because I won't be able to work on it again until midday tomorrow, and I really REALLY wanted to get this out there, cuz I know people want what it offers. There shouldn't be bugs, recipes unlock as you go up tiers, and as always let me know if anything is busted.

Hugs & Kisses~

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Section Z posted:

Tl:DR Boss Fight

I'm sure this is a common complaint, but I just built a cobblestone ceiling and cheesed the dragon by shooting it through small openings I dug in at intervals. I kinda wish the bosses did more damage to your structures/the environment while perhaps deactivating your ability to build during the battle.

That said, I admire your creative approach to fighting the dragon by creating your own boss stage!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Stupid loving poison water.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Desideratus posted:

I TAKE REQUESTS

I had an idea for a planet scanner using the flashlight model with light penetration set up high, so it allows someone to 'scan' through blocks to look for ores/tunnels. I currently do this with my normal flashlight by getting next to the blocks to look through, but it only goes about 6/7 blocks.

It'd be handy for planet exploration, though I don't know how hard it'd be to modify an item's light output to do that.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Trochanter posted:

:stare:

I think I stumbled upon a mushroom guy's sex dungeon...

Yes! I ran across the same exact one. I went to set the Floran free and it just told me to gently caress off, essentially.

Also this torture chamber. In the middle of the magma "pot" was a Floran, that melted to death :(

Edit: In that Floran sex dungeon I did find a ~*legendary*~ weapon, though! It's that purple thing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I feel bad when I see Florans being tortured and stuff, because a) torture is gross and evil, and b) Florans, violent though they are, come across as oddly innocent due to their comparatively uncomplicated outlook and apparent newness to intercultural relations. Sure they stab everything, but they don't mean anything by it. They're just doing what they know :(

I wish there were some way to free the captives in those big Floran prison complexes without having to fight them. It would be neat if you could chuck some meat on the ground or something and they'd scarf it down and then turn neutral to players (but remain hostile to the jailers, obviously). They don't even have to do anything special after that. I just want to overthrow the torturers and let the prisoners convert the place into a 24/7 Floran Freedom Appreciation Party.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I had an idea for a planet scanner using the flashlight model with light penetration set up high, so it allows someone to 'scan' through blocks to look for ores/tunnels. I currently do this with my normal flashlight by getting next to the blocks to look through, but it only goes about 6/7 blocks.

It'd be handy for planet exploration, though I don't know how hard it'd be to modify an item's light output to do that.

An elegant solution might be to simply make a thing that shoots rapidly moving, glowing particles in a long, tight cone. I've had monsters use that wind breath thing on me in caves, and the little blue motes from it will routinely light up a trail right to the other side of the screen for a moment or two.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Angry Diplomat posted:

It would be neat if you could chuck some meat on the ground or something and they'd scarf it down

You are the meat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mzbundifund posted:

You are the meat.

Not if you're a Glitch :colbert:

e: I remember someone wondering how Florans would react to Novakids earlier in the thread, and it just occurred to me that the answer is probably "insanely badly" despite the whole can't eat -> best friends dynamic established by the Glitch. I say this because Florans despise fire and Novakids kind of look like, you know, humanoid masses of colourful fire. I feel like the instantaneous reaction would be somewhere between OH gently caress OH poo poo EVERYBODY RUN IT'S SATAN and OH gently caress OH poo poo IT'S FIRE KILL IT STAB THE FIRE MAYBE STABBING WILL WORK

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 30, 2014

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Trochanter posted:

Yeah, I've seen a few of those:

mushroom people guarding a plantblock mound topped with a bidet,

If you examine one of those with a floran character the little emote is something about how those are the most terrible instruments of torture they can imagine and even looking at them is a nightmare or something.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I don't feel so bad about razing all those mushroom villages now. :agesilaus:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

King Doom posted:

If you examine one of those with a floran character the little emote is something about how those are the most terrible instruments of torture they can imagine and even looking at them is a nightmare or something.

I dunno I can imagine a few creative ways to re-purpose what is essentially a pipe of running water into a torture implement that would be pretty horrific for any species.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Really loving the new version so far! A lot of little bits come together and make for a pretty good experience, despite me starting over again for each of the big patches.

Also, this version probably gave me the best start so far. Spawned on a tiny forest planet - found a huge Avian Tomb full of pixels, a few weapon drops, free gold and skeleton birds - dug down to the deep layers of the planet and found frog ruins - grabbed enough ore to advance to the diamond pick - bought a ton of bombs from the frog merchant - steamrolled over the UFO and blasted off to Beta while laughing :rms:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Your guys take on floran prisoners is different than mine. I wish there was gas in the game so I could herbicide them.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin

Blacktoll posted:

Your guys take on floran prisoners is different than mine. I wish there was gas in the game so I could herbicide them.

In the game's lore, one USMC commander gassed an entire planet to stop a Floran invasion. It got them drunk instead.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want this to get lost:

Blhue posted:

Has anyone got coords on a human marine base with an oven to plunder? Having a cooking fire or one of the glitch/floran cooking pots doesn't exactly mesh with my titanium space fortress.

27, 6
X Phecda Majoris II b, just to the left of spawn.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Desideratus posted:

:siren: Oh hey, I guess I'll just leave this here :siren:

It's the early version of my Advanced Workstations mod!

Here's what it currently includes:
  • Industrial Smelter: This upgraded smelter converts ores to bars faster than you can imagine, up to 500 bars at a time! Just be careful, trying to craft more than 500 may eat ore, since the game doesn't really handle pulling from multiple stacks.
  • Bulk Refinery: An enhanced refinery that can convert up to 1,000 ore or bars into pixels at once! You'll never be poor again!

Downloaded. Will be nice to cut down on time spent waiting for stuff to smelt.

SubNat posted:

Why do I keep doing this to myself? :downsgun:

Because new ship layouts are the best :getin:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dr. Octopus posted:

This place felt like a boss planet:

I loved it so much I made a home. Those wings! :3:

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

MeinGott posted:

Stupid loving poison water.

I feel you there. I pretty much just leave planets that are filled with toxic liquid because they tend to ruin my day.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Iron Rose posted:

I have a bit of a problem. Every time I try and load up my file on singleplayer with Exploration Enhanced, it hangs a ton and then gives me a "client-server connection no longer valid." I'm using opengl and singleplayer (why does it have to be opengl? Out of curiosity.) but nada.

Anyone?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Say I wanted to have a dungeon structure only appear on ice planets/in ice biomes, how would I go about doing that? I know Igloo dungeons only appear on ice, but for the life of me I don't know where it displays that. "Igloo" doesn't even show up in planetgen.config at all!

edit: Nevermind, I had to look in Biomes instead!

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
The mac and windows machines have different RNGs, and so it would be really miraculous if that actually worked. The Starbound app would have to have it's own random number generator -- very unlikely.

Splizwarf posted:

So my wife and I discovered something lovely:

Alpha Lyncis Minoris III b
X: -91366615
Y: 99926234
Forest
Threat Level 1

Windows client beam-in site:

Mac client beam-in site:

Same coordinates, same client version, both running unmodded Vanilla. :psyduck:

Mine has the Tech chest with Pulse Jump just offscreen to the right, as foretold by the wise and powerful Internet. Hers? Same biomes and trees and random cultist altars but completely different landscape generation.

Maybe this is why sometimes people can't find stuff?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Jersey Mike posted:

I feel you there. I pretty much just leave planets that are filled with toxic liquid because they tend to ruin my day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c1QYx9ris

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

When doing mods, like Desideratus's Exploration enhanced and combat enhanced, do I just drop the zipped file in the mods folder, or unzip the mod? Usually i dont have a problem figuring this out, but a migraine has me unable to think today.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

winterwerefox posted:

When doing mods, like Desideratus's Exploration enhanced and combat enhanced, do I just drop the zipped file in the mods folder, or unzip the mod? Usually i dont have a problem figuring this out, but a migraine has me unable to think today.

Unzip the files, put them directly into the mods folder.

If there are any additional configurations required generally there is an attached readme (The two mods you mentioned do not require that, just drop and play)

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Drop and play modding is one of the best things they've introduced so far.

Still waiting on auto server mod proliferation so this poo poo'll be even MORE awesome

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

If you write a new song file, does it need to be on the server to be played so that others can hear it?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Hydrocodone posted:

If you write a new song file, does it need to be on the server to be played so that others can hear it?

As far as I know, no.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Hydrocodone posted:

No, thats the whole reason it's restricted to .abc files, they are relatively safe to be read directly off your harddrive.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

Hydrocodone posted:

No, it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

yegods posted:

The mac and windows machines have different RNGs, and so it would be really miraculous if that actually worked. The Starbound app would have to have it's own random number generator -- very unlikely.

What? The app has to have it's own RNG, or the planets would all be different between all computers, not just Windows vs. Mac. The RNG in my copy of Windows isn't putting out the same numbers as yours; that would be terrifying.

e:
I am retarded today. There is no RNG for planet generation, that's the whole point of procedurally-generated content. Your seed string is run through the same transform equation every time, and everyone is (intended to be) using the same equation. Otherwise, nobody would ever be able to share planets. The problem here is that it looks like the Mac client is using a different equation, which seems unintentional in a game where one of the pitch points is sharing the gnarly places you've found with your friends.

For completeness' sake, can anyone on the Linux client go to that planet and post what their beam-in point looks like?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 30, 2014

• Locked thread