Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Gonna go sit on this on Saturday to see if my stumpy legs will reach the ground.
http://www.skypowersportslakewales.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=554477&p=1&vc=sport%20touring&s=Year&d=D

It would be a second bike for some longer distance stuff. Such as riding from Florida to anywhere that isn't Florida.

I know one guy here owns a Concours 14. I don't hear much bad about them other than leg heat issues on the 08-09, and maybe the linked brakes aren't great on the 2010 and up models. Just looking for some input from anyone that might own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There's at least a couple of us here that have C14s. I think ponies at my bagel has a <2010 but mine is a 2010 so it does have the updates.

You did mention the most common complaint about the earlier model is the heat dissipation, so you seem aware of that. The fairing was updated and the mirrors were also moved a little bit but YMMV if that's an issue or not.

As with the ZX14, the exhaust cam seal o-ring has a habit of developing a weep but it is fixable with a slightly larger Viton O-ring with a few hours of time and a 6 pack of beer. You should be able to see if it's leaking or not by peering behind the rad without taking any bodywork off. Here is a pic of mine before I fixed it.

The valve cover gaskets also have a habit of a minor leak, but Kawi has gone through about 4 versions of gaskets and feedback is they finally got it fixed. None of the leaks are big deals, just more of a pain in the rear end and in no way cause problems other than cleanliness and maybe having a drop where you park every other time or so. I'm not going to bother with mine until I check the valves in 2 or so years.

The ABS works really well and it looks like there are PR3s on that bike which are a really good match.

TPMS battery life blows and throw low battery warnings after about 2 years. I actually don't think it's so much the batteries dying as it is the sensor having a very high threshold for throwing the warning. Kawasaki has recently updated the sensor on them so hopefully it isn't a big issue going forward, but I just disabled mine completely.

That's definitely an aftermarket seat on that bike so if your inseam isn't 32+ that might be a good thing if you're OK with the style and the raised pillon. If you would rather factory, there are lots of people who move to Corbins or Seargents so OEM seats are pretty readily available for cheap.

Personally, I prefer the 2010+ refresh but they seem to hold their value that much better so getting a really good deal on a low mileage example isn't quite as easy as the first version. That bike looks really clean. Black looks sharp too.

Any other direct questions, feel free to ask.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

slidebite posted:

There's at least a couple of us here that have C14s. I think ponies at my bagel has a <2010 but mine is a 2010 so it does have the updates.

You did mention the most common complaint about the earlier model is the heat dissipation, so you seem aware of that. The fairing was updated and the mirrors were also moved a little bit but YMMV if that's an issue or not.

As with the ZX14, the exhaust cam seal o-ring has a habit of developing a weep but it is fixable with a slightly larger Viton O-ring with a few hours of time and a 6 pack of beer. You should be able to see if it's leaking or not by peering behind the rad without taking any bodywork off. Here is a pic of mine before I fixed it.

The valve cover gaskets also have a habit of a minor leak, but Kawi has gone through about 4 versions of gaskets and feedback is they finally got it fixed. None of the leaks are big deals, just more of a pain in the rear end and in no way cause problems other than cleanliness and maybe having a drop where you park every other time or so. I'm not going to bother with mine until I check the valves in 2 or so years.

The ABS works really well and it looks like there are PR3s on that bike which are a really good match.

TPMS battery life blows and throw low battery warnings after about 2 years. I actually don't think it's so much the batteries dying as it is the sensor having a very high threshold for throwing the warning. Kawasaki has recently updated the sensor on them so hopefully it isn't a big issue going forward, but I just disabled mine completely.

That's definitely an aftermarket seat on that bike so if your inseam isn't 32+ that might be a good thing if you're OK with the style and the raised pillon. If you would rather factory, there are lots of people who move to Corbins or Seargents so OEM seats are pretty readily available for cheap.

Personally, I prefer the 2010+ refresh but they seem to hold their value that much better so getting a really good deal on a low mileage example isn't quite as easy as the first version. That bike looks really clean. Black looks sharp too.

Any other direct questions, feel free to ask.

You were the guy I knew owned one, and I was hoping you would see this. Thanks. You saved me anymore time sifting through the junk on the C14 owners forum where the longest thread is some guy painting the plastics green. I saw a thread on ADVrider from Ponies and he didn't look like a tall man. I'm 5'11" 31" inseam.

I thought the seat looked funky. I would maybe sell it and go either OEM or the Kawasaki gel seat that I think drops it about an inch. I'm hoping with boots on I'll be ok. Does the bike looked lowered to you in the pictures? I'd prefer the geometry to be factory to start with.

Pretty much set on an 09 black model because I like the bike in black, and the price of the >2010's are still pretty high.

All the rest of that stuff is minor and I can fix myself. Seems like the bike is pretty solid, with plenty of people putting tons of miles on them and loving it. No shaft drive issues I assume?

How is the weight of the bike? I know it's heavy, but I assume it all sort of goes away above parking lot speeds.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Don't get a KLR, get a Versys or V-Strom.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Don't get a KLR, get a Versys or V-Strom. KTM 950 or 990 Adventure.

Because why not, thats why. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just curious why people don't cross-shop KLRs with DR650s?do people just forget they exist? Or are they super rare and they stopped making them over a decade ago or something? I remember looking at them both when I started out riding and liked the DR better.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Don't get a KLR, get a Versys or V-Strom Buell Ulysses.

Because america :911:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

Just curious why people don't cross-shop KLRs with DR650s?do people just forget they exist? Or are they super rare and they stopped making them over a decade ago or something? I remember looking at them both when I started out riding and liked the DR better.

Because both bikes are poo poo and the less time spent thinking about them the better, of course.

(DRs are air cooled, tend to burn a bit more oil, but are pretty reliable overall, if you're into fatass dual sports from the 80s)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ElMaligno posted:

Because america :911:

Ulys and KLRs are very different bikes. The Uly weighs about a million pounds and has a hundred torques. While the KLR is a pig, I still feel like I could chuck it at a tree and through mud without any ill effects.

Z3n posted:

Because both bikes are poo poo and the less time spent thinking about them the better, of course.

You and me are gonna have some problems, son.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think if you looked closely, you would discover that the disease is inside you, and I am only a mirror to your own soul.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4310854145.html

'89 Yamaha Virago 1100 - $800

It would be my first bike, I used to ride friends' dirtbikes a lot but it's been a while. I've seen the general 70 hp rule cited around and from what I've seen online for specs this model was rated at 62 hp.

I really like the bobber style and want something that I may have to play with some. I'd primarily be riding around Atlanta, to and from school. Does anyone have any experience with these or have comments/concerns about this being a first bike?

edit: I've got a friend who knows a lot more about this than I do and works on bikes who would be helping, I just can't get in contact with him now.

conrack fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 30, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
oh, lord

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

conrack posted:

It would be my first bike, I used to ride friends' dirtbikes a lot but it's been a while. I've seen the general 70 hp rule cited around and from what I've seen online for specs this model was rated at 62 hp.

I really like the bobber style and want something that I may have to play with some. I'd primarily be riding around Atlanta, to and from school. Does anyone have any experience with these or have comments/concerns about this being a first bike?

edit: I've got a friend who knows a lot more about this than I do and works on bikes who would be helping, I just can't get in contact with him now.

How severe and emphatic a No would be required to change your mind?

Alternatively, how many people in here need to tell you No before change your mind?

Snowden I'm absolutely certain we emitted the same groan upon seeing that post.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
Sounds like my friend would probably do the same thing if I could get in touch with him, I was just browsing tonight and came across it. I like the style in general and figured there would be time put into it but I'm good about deferring to experience. Is it the condition of the bike or the Virago itself that is most groanworthy?

What kinds of things should I be looking for as a first timer? I haven't really consulted with my boy short of "I want a motorcycle eventually."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buy a bike that is smaller than 600cc, newer than 15 years, hasn't been modified or crashed and hasn't been to the moon and back mileage-wise. Pretty much anything outside these criteria is a recipe for either mechanical disaster or crashing calamity.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Lol my motorcycle is a Honda Civic and I can still recognize how poor a choice that bike would be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I always say to anyone looking at garbage like that is: do you want to Ride Bikes or do you want to have a bike so you can tell people you have a bike?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Buy a bike that is smaller than 600cc, newer than 15 years, hasn't been modified or crashed and hasn't been to the moon and back mileage-wise. Pretty much anything outside these criteria is a recipe for either mechanical disaster or crashing calamity.

I would say you can fudge on the 600cc rule if you go with a cruiser like a Honda Nighthawk 750 as cruiser engines tend to be underpowered per cc versus most other bikes.

But for a fist bike start with something like a GS500 even if you don't like the style. First bikes are something you just keep for a year or two and sell them for what you bought them for anyways.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

conrack posted:

Sounds like my friend would probably do the same thing if I could get in touch with him, I was just browsing tonight and came across it. I like the style in general and figured there would be time put into it but I'm good about deferring to experience. Is it the condition of the bike or the Virago itself that is most groanworthy?

What kinds of things should I be looking for as a first timer? I haven't really consulted with my boy short of "I want a motorcycle eventually."

Absolutely the condition of the bike. That thing has been beaten and mangled to bejesus. I wouldn't take it for free.

I'm going to mostly parrot Slavvy here but I'll say 800cc is an acceptable cutoff for a first bike if you're going cruiser, reaching into 883 Harleys or a Bolt. But buy a used bike, which probably rules out the Bolt. Cruisers haven't changed in forever so you should be able to get a much newer one for not much more money, and keep in mind the dumpier and older it is the more you'll have to immediately sink into it to make it rideable, and the harder certain parts will be to get.

Get one as close to stock as possible. Gonna say this again for emphasis: Get one as close to stock as possible. Your nemesis is Prior Owner Fuckery and it's pretty much a given that no one selling a small-displacement cruiser knows thing loving one about what they're doing modding, or was willing to pay a shop remotely enough to do it right.

You want to learn on a bike with as close to stock as possible suspension, brakes etc because surprisingly the bike manufacturers have a pretty good idea how to set them up to be rideable. Once you have some experience you can gently caress up your ride dropping the back and putting silly drag bars on it, but if you do that to start out you're going to have a helluva time learning good habits.

For some encouragement take a look here and see what you can turn a bone-stock, non-ratfucked Craigslist bike into with not a whole lot of effort or money (and often without doing permanent damage.) Then realize that once you start riding you'll probably think things like "I actually enjoy a rear suspension" and "these fenders might really serve a purpose" and find yourself going in a completely different direction.

E: I took a look at your local CL and it's kind of a shitshow but that's sort of normal for this time of year.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4308697155.html
That's your best bet if you had to buy today. Nowhere near the style you want, though. Also it's been sitting for a while and will need a once over. Take your buddy who can point out the tire dry rot and the toasted battery to cut the price.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4265765648.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4269403400.html
Those are both kinda high on price for what they are, but again rational people don't list their bike on CL in January in the middle of an ice storm. That's more what you want to look for, though. Patience and persistence can find you something like that at $2k or less. Then if you want to get rid of the awful seat and dopey fenders, you can probably straight trade for the look you want.

If I looked in all of Atlanta instead of just where you are there's probably poo poo tons more.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I can't quite tell -- is the swingarm welded in place, and that spring/shock thing is just for show? That's amazingly awful, if that's the case. That thing would be so painful to ride!

Conrack, where do you go to school? I commuted to Georgia Tech on a bike myself. You'll want something with at least decent suspension on the roads downtown.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

conrack posted:

It literally looks like a poop.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BlackLaser posted:

You were the guy I knew owned one, and I was hoping you would see this. Thanks. You saved me anymore time sifting through the junk on the C14 owners forum where the longest thread is some guy painting the plastics green. I saw a thread on ADVrider from Ponies and he didn't look like a tall man.
Yeah I don't know what the hell it is with that guy. I mean, he seems to be nice enough and all, but it's pretty much comical how all he does is post photos of his bike. I mean, there was a thread where a mod took out his bike photos and it went from about a 10 page thread to a 4 page thread, and I'm not kidding. Then there is some other passive aggressive rear end in a top hat on there who thinks he's a real tech guy but all he does is brag about how smart he is and basically talks down to anyone that tries to help that he doesn't agree with. It's an interesting group at COG.

quote:

I'm 5'11" 31" inseam.

I thought the seat looked funky. I would maybe sell it and go either OEM or the Kawasaki gel seat that I think drops it about an inch. I'm hoping with boots on I'll be ok. Does the bike looked lowered to you in the pictures? I'd prefer the geometry to be factory to start with.
You and I probably have pretty similar body types (other than I'm likely heavier) and my guess is you'll be fine, especially if that seat is a smidgen lower than OEM. That bike does not look lowered to me. The bottom of the header looks stock height off the ground and the center stand looks intact. People who lower them typically take them right off since they have to be shortened a fair amount to work on the lowered bike and most people wouldn't be bothered.

quote:

Pretty much set on an 09 black model because I like the bike in black, and the price of the >2010's are still pretty high.

All the rest of that stuff is minor and I can fix myself. Seems like the bike is pretty solid, with plenty of people putting tons of miles on them and loving it.
I agree. There are no real deal breakers or serious issues assuming the bike isn't a lemon. If you can live with the heat (and there are some remedies for that) don't be scared to maintain it yourself. They do look sharp in black.

quote:

No shaft drive issues I assume?

How is the weight of the bike? I know it's heavy, but I assume it all sort of goes away above parking lot speeds.
I actually find the shaft drive and overall handling/suspension to be exceptional for its size. Kawasaki really put some time in the tetralever design. Only issue with the shaft drive is that I have yet to hear from anyone that discovered it was properly filled in volume from the factory. First thing I'd do is drain it and refill it to proper spec, assuming the dealer didn't do it.

There was a factory recall on the rear brakes a couple years back because it was possible for a pebble to get wedged in the linkage potentially causing the brake to drag. Might be a good idea to see if the dealer can tell you if it was done.

The factory BattleCrap rubber totally sucked and going to PR3 makes a huge difference. Pretty much any pro review that had hits about the handling were OEM tire related and I would concur, especially on the earlier models (they did a slight change on the 2010+ but it still sucked). It is certainly not a ZX6 (or 14 for that matter) for weight but even parking lots and slow speed are fine in my opinion. If you do something stupid and it start to go over you will certainly notice it though, no doubt. Keep in mind most of my riding for the past 10 years has been ST related, so I might have a skewed view.

I have yet to drop it and hope I never do, because it would cost a fortune to repair between the bags and fairing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

Yeah I don't know what the hell it is with that guy. I mean, he seems to be nice enough and all, but it's pretty much comical how all he does is post photos of his bike. I mean, there was a thread where a mod took out his bike photos and it went from about a 10 page thread to a 4 page thread, and I'm not kidding. Then there is some other passive aggressive rear end in a top hat on there who thinks he's a real tech guy but all he does is brag about how smart he is and basically talks down to anyone that tries to help that he doesn't agree with. It's an interesting group at COG.
You and I probably have pretty similar body types (other than I'm likely heavier) and my guess is you'll be fine, especially if that seat is a smidgen lower than OEM. That bike does not look lowered to me. The bottom of the header looks stock height off the ground and the center stand looks intact. People who lower them typically take them right off since they have to be shortened a fair amount to work on the lowered bike and most people wouldn't be bothered.

I agree. There are no real deal breakers or serious issues assuming the bike isn't a lemon. If you can live with the heat (and there are some remedies for that) don't be scared to maintain it yourself. They do look sharp in black.
I actually find the shaft drive and overall handling/suspension to be exceptional for its size. Kawasaki really put some time in the tetralever design. Only issue with the shaft drive is that I have yet to hear from anyone that discovered it was properly filled in volume from the factory. First thing I'd do is drain it and refill it to proper spec, assuming the dealer didn't do it.

There was a factory recall on the rear brakes a couple years back because it was possible for a pebble to get wedged in the linkage potentially causing the brake to drag. Might be a good idea to see if the dealer can tell you if it was done.

The factory BattleCrap rubber totally sucked and going to PR3 makes a huge difference. Pretty much any pro review that had hits about the handling were OEM tire related and I would concur, especially on the earlier models (they did a slight change on the 2010+ but it still sucked). It is certainly not a ZX6 (or 14 for that matter) for weight but even parking lots and slow speed are fine in my opinion. If you do something stupid and it start to go over you will certainly notice it though, no doubt. Keep in mind most of my riding for the past 10 years has been ST related, so I might have a skewed view.

I have yet to drop it and hope I never do, because it would cost a fortune to repair between the bags and fairing.

You are dangerously close to making me want one of these. I picture needing a sport tourer in my dotage and I can't imagine a VFR800 being even close to enough sport, nor enough touring.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Thanks for all of your input. Really appreciate it. Maybe I'll make some more poor financial decisions and purchase a second motorcycle this weekend. :woop:

conrack
Oct 4, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Absolutely the condition of the bike. That thing has been beaten and mangled to bejesus. I wouldn't take it for free.

I'm going to mostly parrot Slavvy here but I'll say 800cc is an acceptable cutoff for a first bike if you're going cruiser, reaching into 883 Harleys or a Bolt. But buy a used bike, which probably rules out the Bolt. Cruisers haven't changed in forever so you should be able to get a much newer one for not much more money, and keep in mind the dumpier and older it is the more you'll have to immediately sink into it to make it rideable, and the harder certain parts will be to get.

Get one as close to stock as possible. Gonna say this again for emphasis: Get one as close to stock as possible. Your nemesis is Prior Owner Fuckery and it's pretty much a given that no one selling a small-displacement cruiser knows thing loving one about what they're doing modding, or was willing to pay a shop remotely enough to do it right.

You want to learn on a bike with as close to stock as possible suspension, brakes etc because surprisingly the bike manufacturers have a pretty good idea how to set them up to be rideable. Once you have some experience you can gently caress up your ride dropping the back and putting silly drag bars on it, but if you do that to start out you're going to have a helluva time learning good habits.

For some encouragement take a look here and see what you can turn a bone-stock, non-ratfucked Craigslist bike into with not a whole lot of effort or money (and often without doing permanent damage.) Then realize that once you start riding you'll probably think things like "I actually enjoy a rear suspension" and "these fenders might really serve a purpose" and find yourself going in a completely different direction.

E: I took a look at your local CL and it's kind of a shitshow but that's sort of normal for this time of year.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4308697155.html
That's your best bet if you had to buy today. Nowhere near the style you want, though. Also it's been sitting for a while and will need a once over. Take your buddy who can point out the tire dry rot and the toasted battery to cut the price.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4265765648.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4269403400.html
Those are both kinda high on price for what they are, but again rational people don't list their bike on CL in January in the middle of an ice storm. That's more what you want to look for, though. Patience and persistence can find you something like that at $2k or less. Then if you want to get rid of the awful seat and dopey fenders, you can probably straight trade for the look you want.

If I looked in all of Atlanta instead of just where you are there's probably poo poo tons more.

Thanks a lot! I'm just north of Atlanta and have been looking all over the place but seeing pretty much what you said. I've always been a fan of buying something a little rough and fixing it up, but I can definitely see a motorcycle being a bit different in that regard than a car.

I probably shouldn't buy for at least a couple of weeks anyway, I just figured this would be the season for generally lower prices (Snowmageddon be damned). I'll just keep looking and come back with a less terrible suggestion next time.

Safety Dance: I was at Tech for a couple years but I'm at KSU now. I rode a bicycle around when I was at Tech though, you aren't kidding about those roads.

conrack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 30, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BlackLaser posted:

Thanks for all of your input. Really appreciate it. Maybe I'll make some more poor financial decisions and purchase a second motorcycle this weekend. :woop:

No problems, good luck. :)

May or may not interest you, but there is some guy on COG that has a 2011 in Black for sale with only 8K miles. He's asking $10K but if you haggle him down a bit you might be a really good deal. Not sure if it's worth a trip or not.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,48941.0.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

You are dangerously close to making me want one of these. I picture needing a sport tourer in my dotage and I can't imagine a VFR800 being even close to enough sport, nor enough touring.

Based on your riding experience, style and location I'd recommend something more like a Duc Multistrada, and not just as yet another iteration of my running joke. It's a better fit for 'way more sporting, some more touring' than the Concours / FJRs that are a bit bigger. Ducati cost of ownership, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Problem with a multi is the cost of entry to the ducati club and that it's ugly as sin. I picture a concours being not that big a step up weight-wise from my ZRX, and with better handling. It's not something that will happen any time soon, anyway. Mainly seems like a good fit because big tourers depreciate like rocks here (unless it's a Goldwing or a BMW) whereas ducatis may as well be made of solid gold.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Problem with a multi is the cost of entry to the ducati club and that it's ugly as sin. I picture a concours being not that big a step up weight-wise from my ZRX, and with better handling. It's not something that will happen any time soon, anyway. Mainly seems like a good fit because big tourers depreciate like rocks here (unless it's a Goldwing or a BMW) whereas ducatis may as well be made of solid gold.

You need a Buell Ulysses. (Can those even be had in NZ?)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen one or two. For cost reference, an early 2000's gsx-r1000 with decent mileage can be had for $5500-6000NZD. A buell xb9 of similar vintage and mileage starts at $6500 for a rough one. Buells here are ~a rare exotic~ and priced as such. I've never seen a Uly in person but I know they're obtainable.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Is there any reason why the BMW F800ST/GT never gets recommended around here?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Do the Commonwealth states get Tigers and Sprints cheap?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

kuffs posted:

Is there any reason why the BMW F800ST/GT never gets recommended around here?

Ho-hum performance, meh styling, BMW expense with little of the BMW charm. Plus they haven't been around long enough to find cheap used easily.

HNasty did a run through Europe on a F800R and I think he would've preferred the ST / GT

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Also belt drive is for jerks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do the Commonwealth states get Tigers and Sprints cheap?

Tigers are moon-money expensive. Sprints are typically a grand or two more than a VFR800 of the same year/condition. Can't speak for Australia.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Craigslist is proving to be far bigger a pain in the rear end to find a used bike than I originally anticipated. So I think maybe it would be best to check with you guys on what sort of bikes I should look for.

What I'm looking for:

- Upright/standard sitting position. I'm not into cruisers or sports bikes.

- Potential daily rider. I plan to use the bike in all weather (minus ice/snow of course) as a commuter for work so reliability is much more important than speed.

- Cheap. I'm hoping to spend between $1000-2000.

- No Harley's, and I'm not really into Italian bikes either (they are rare around Seattle anyway).

If it helps here is a picture of my old bike (KTR Custom 150cc) I rode for 3 years in Taiwan:

Edit: Also how do you guys usually find used bikes? Craigslist is seriously soul sucking trying to find things on these days. If I'm lucky enough to even be able to contact the person they are inevitably some shady dude with some obviously BS story trying to sell his broken bike/car.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GS500, early model SV650. In that price range, you're looking at having to deal with some shady dude to get a decent bike, just the nature of the price range.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

do you want to Ride Bikes or do you want to have a bike so you can tell people you have a bike?

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I read CA and the Biek wiki before I bought my first bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

One of my coworkers is insisting I help him find a bike because I ride. He says he wants to commute on it during the summer including a bit of interstate. He also says his fat wife needs to be able to be comfortable on the back and probably needs something that can have a back rest for her. I've already convinced him to take the MSF. He grew up with a scooter and some kind of small Honda and he likes the idea of a "Harles Davis motorcycle."

At first was super intrigued by buying a BMW C 650. He looked up the price and sounded enthused that he would only be paying 149 a month for 48 months and then a 5000 balloon payment. I talked him out of that and now he sending me links to the Honda Shadow Line.

I don't really want to be roped into this task, and hopefully I won't be his coworker too much longer so it won't really matter, but he keeps asking me everyday and I don't even really know where to begin.