Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh you got to me, that much is clear. The way you quoted a post I made some months earlier when you made me lose it - so you made it your mission to troll and troll and troll until I lost it? Good job.

And like the loser you are, you still spend your time trolling online and posting retarded selfies instead of trying to do anything to improve your life huh? A+ there, son. Good job on working in China - how's that working out for you? Read again: loser.

I was starting to like you and then you showed how you couldn't hang again.

So close.

Yet so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

shut the gently caress up

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Really though he's like the knee-jerkiest poster ever

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Let's move on.

I wish harmony and prosperity for this coming year of the pony.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So, coming up to a Nanjing trip for a few days.

We'll be staying right on the river and wanted to check if any of the goons can recommend some must sees there?
We have four days, so will probably check out
- Ming Palace
- Nanjing Massacre Memorial
- sun-yat Sen mausoleum
- The old city walls
And maybe the mountain and the nearby hot springs depending on the weather.

Other than the well-known stuff I can easily Google, can any of you suggest anything else you enjoyed while there?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 30, 2014

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm doing a graduate program in Nanjing but am out of town. If you're going to the city walls, Jimingsi Buddhist temple is right off one of the wall exits and might be worth bundling into your city wall day trip(they have a really nice vegetarian restaurant inside). If you're looking for some fresh air, Xuanwu Lake has a park with a nice strolling path and if pollution isn't bad, it's worth going for a run there.

Fuzimiao has a few Confucian buildings but having been there it's mostly been swallowed up by retail/shopping. If you're aiming to pick up cheap souvenirs for friends/coworkers, though, I'd recommend going.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

So, coming up to a Nanjing trip for a few days.

We'll be staying right on the river and wanted to check if any of the goons can recommend some must sees there?
We have four days, so will probably check out
- Ming Palace
- Nanjing Massacre Memorial
- sun-yat Sen mausoleum
- The old city walls
And maybe the mountain and the nearby hot springs depending on the weather.

Other than the well-known stuff I can easily Google, can any of you suggest anything else you enjoyed while there?

Go to that food chain that sells frogs in all sorts of ways. It's all over Nanjing.

Prepare to be weirded out as tourists take weird pictures of themselves smiling in front of mass graves at the memorial!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SB35 posted:

Please report back on this. As I've heard tell they exist, but never actually had any.

VideoTapir posted:

Seriously, does there exist a Chinese wine that is even drinkable let alone good?

Kasumeat posted:

I don't think I've heard a single person make this claim who wasn't a Chinese winemaker.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Does higher proof count or are we just talking about grape wine?

Huangjiu can taste pretty good. And I like micro shots of wuliangye.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I think alot of the wine here hides its lack of structure behind a tongue sucking astringency. Drinking a bottle of anything domestic which cost less than Y120 is like snogging a vacuum cleaner nozzle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Does higher proof count or are we just talking about grape wine?

Huangjiu can taste pretty good. And I like micro shots of wuliangye.

We're talking about wine.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

A few of the people I work with drink wine almost exclusively, and I've never seen them ordering a Chinese bottle.

Mrrrmrjt did you get any response in your sommelier thread post recon?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If I buy random wine I always go Chile or Argentina. Malbec is the best thing.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Prepare to be weirded out as tourists take weird pictures of themselves smiling in front of mass graves at the memorial!

This sounds awesome.

And yeah, I guess frog eating will happen. Had it once before - like little chicken.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BadAstronaut posted:

A few of the people I work with drink wine almost exclusively, and I've never seen them ordering a Chinese bottle.

Mrrrmrjt did you get any response in your sommelier thread post recon?

You mean other than the one I just posted?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ah - I'm so used to your emptyquoting posts that, like banner ads, these days my eyes seem to auto-ignore them.

Edit:
OK, I've mailed a friend if mine. Long-time professional wine writer about Chinawine

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 30, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I also have a friend.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
I used to go to wine parties hosted by the head of Japan Airlines in China, and this wound up being my favorite. Get a pack of smokes for only $25 more!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I had some blueberry wine from a department store once and it was delicious. It reminded me of Boone's Farm but with much more alcohol. Good stuff.

Happy Spring New Year Festival in the year of the rear end™.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wine info from my friend. Not much at all, even with a bit of digging:

quote:

There may be. I have zero experience, and haven't heard anything that exciting. from what I understand it is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon and the place that's apparently quality focused is the Ningxia Province. 

Jancis Robinson reccomends

He Lan Qing Xue, Jaibeilan Grand Reserve 2009 Ningxia 
This wine, made by Jing Zhang, pictured above, at the government-run model winery, famously won a trophy in last year's Decanter World Wine Awards. The special 'red footprints' bottling is even better and won the Ningxia Wine Awards I judged recently. 

Silver Heights, Emma's Reserve 2009 Ningxia 
Emma Gao worked for Spanish-owned distributor Torres in China then trained in Bordeaux, and married Ch Calon Ségur's maitre de chai.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 30, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

...Ningxia...

Ningxia doesn't actually exist you know.

I could totally see that area being good for grapes though: there isn't alot of rainfall and the soil is right (you don't want super rich soil that leads to big, fat juicy grapes for wine - small shriveled grapes are the best) and Hemu, which is just up the railway line by about a thousand kilometers or so, is famous for melons and such. When I lived in Gansu you could buy water melon slices for a few jiao a piece during the summer.

That said, I have never drank anything from "The Ningxia Province" (knowingly), so it needs to do something about its image beyond having wine awards that nobody cares about.

Qingdao was allegedly one of the first places in China in which industrial wine making began - but the climate doesn't seem right to me. More like an "alcohol+foreign" association really.

Maybe in ten years if the broader middle class develops some semblance of taste. Maybe. But probably not.

And it's Cabernet Sauvignon because the Cabernet bit hides many sins. If you can find a Chinese red that doesn't involve Cabernet (where grapes are listed at all) then I'll be impressed. Like a student making curry: if you can't make it well then you might as well make it spicy.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 30, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'd only drink Chinese wine if they'd boil it first.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mulled wine is pretty good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has nobody here read that piece bout how more than half of Chinese wine is fake and no even made from fermented grapes?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You can't ask that without posting it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mrf can't find it but I do remember them saying that there are several times more bottles of Chateau-Lafite '82 in China than France ever exported. One figure was 70% of wine in China is fake: either cheap local wine in relabeled bottles, or cheap imported wine in reused incredibly expensive bottles, or fake Changyu or Great Wall filled with water, industrial alcohol and artificial flavors.

On a personal note, I'm pretty sure I drank a fake bourbon with isopropol alcohol once. Got incredibly shitfaced on a surprisingly small amount and then felt like I was going to die.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Your google-fu is weak, old man!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The fireworks outside are going absolutely gangbusters.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

The fireworks outside are going absolutely gangbusters.

Yuyao just gave it the old college try. Slightly disappointed that nothing exploded within 50 yards of me this year, but hey. Can't have it all.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

MeramJert posted:

Mulled wine is pretty good.

You can't let mulled wine boil or the alcohol evaporates, you need to warm it just below boiling.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tacoman165 posted:

You can't let mulled wine boil or the alcohol evaporates, you need to warm it just below boiling.

Yeah I know you don't really boil it

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Zhenping Road is now guaranteed spirit-free until at least 2017

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

FYI VPN-needers:
New 10 year deal for 660rmb if for some reason you don't want to splash out on Astrill
http://xiami1.com/service.html

Better than 380rmb for one year

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tacoman165 posted:

Maybe that's why my gluhwein always tasted like poo poo.

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006
All my visa stuff finally came through, so in the not so distant future I'm going to be a Tianjin goon! :)

Any suggestions on stuff I should bring with me? Anything that's difficult/expensive to obtain that you wouldn't expect?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

blackbox posted:

All my visa stuff finally came through, so in the not so distant future I'm going to be a Tianjin goon! :)

Any suggestions on stuff I should bring with me? Anything that's difficult/expensive to obtain that you wouldn't expect?

Shoes can be a bitch to get from brick-and-mortar (my bad, this is China: concrete-and-concrete) stores if your feet are large. I wear size 12-13 sneakers (48-50ish here) and even in Beijing it was a bitch to find a pair. You can always use Taobao, though. Same problem/solution exists for winter clothing.

Don't bring food. It's not worth the weight, really. In Tianjin you'll probably be able to get anything you'd want anyway. Spices are a possible exception. My wife brought a bunch of them over this tour and they've been nice to have, especially since some of them are impossible to get where we are.

Anime body pillows and blow-up dolls can be a challenge to find if you want good quality, but no doubt a departing goon will sell you his secondhand.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

Shoes can be a bitch to get from brick-and-mortar (my bad, this is China: concrete-and-concrete) stores if your feet are large. I wear size 12-13 sneakers (48-50ish here) and even in Beijing it was a bitch to find a pair. You can always use Taobao, though. Same problem/solution exists for winter clothing.

Don't bring food. It's not worth the weight, really. In Tianjin you'll probably be able to get anything you'd want anyway. Spices are a possible exception. My wife brought a bunch of them over this tour and they've been nice to have, especially since some of them are impossible to get where we are.

Anime body pillows and blow-up dolls can be a challenge to find if you want good quality, but no doubt a departing goon will sell you his secondhand.

I don't have very big feet (US 10.5) but if you're in a bigger city that has an official Nike/Adidas/etc store they will have bigger sizes of most shoes. The prices are pretty comparable to the US.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

blackbox posted:

If GBM talks about Amber, smile politely and find an escape route

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't have very big feet (US 10.5) but if you're in a bigger city that has an official Nike/Adidas/etc store they will have bigger sizes of most shoes. The prices are pretty comparable to the US.

Yeah, but not all of us want to wear 1200 RMB basketball shoes. Blinky is right, if you have big feet EU 45 (US 10.5) or larger expect to have shoe finding difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SB35 posted:

Yeah, but not all of us want to wear 1200 RMB basketball shoes. Blinky is right, if you have big feet EU 45 (US 10.5) or larger expect to have shoe finding difficulty.

I bought a pair of pretty normal street shoes at the Nike shop in Shanghai for 338rmb (not on sale). I guess if you want to go real cheap and get some li nings or something you can go that way, but my last 200rmb pair of li nings crapped out after like 6 months whereas the last decent pair of shoes I brought from the US cost about the same as these Nikes and lasted over a year.

I'm just saying there are shoes at those places that are like 50-60USD which is not a bad price for shoes.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 1, 2014