Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Small update on my $3700 transfer case problem: warranty company refusing to cover the repairs stating that the tire size on my tires aren't manufacturer's spec, classifying it as a "modification" (they're sized too big). The car was sold to me from the dealer with those tires. The dealer, when called for comment, stated "those shouldn't be a problem."

Well guess what man, they were, even according to MazdaCare whom you suggested I call, and hey now you're just refusing to answer the phone when I call.

It's been a lovely week. If I get this fixed, and put *correct* tires on, how many more problems could crop up as a result of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
What size tires do you have? Why won't your dealership service the warranty?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The really lovely thing there is that they're absolutely right about the tires causing this. The spare is sized for stock tires, and running with one mismatched tire can definitely damage a transfer case.

What size tires are on the car and what size is stock? I wonder if there really is a significant difference in size.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

IOwnCalculus posted:

What size tires are on the car and what size is stock? I wonder if there really is a significant difference in size.

The stock Potenza RE050's are 215/45/18, believe that is for both MS3 and MS6. Currently on Ecsta SPT's at 225/40/18 with no issue.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

hunter x az posted:

What size tires do you have? Why won't your dealership service the warranty?

I have no way of checking without heading downtown and looking at my car or calling the service department and asking. I am pretty sure it was 225/xx/18 but that's not super helpful.

The dealership that sold me the car blew me off again today. This car is lucky I like it so much.

Edit: I am still extremely concerned about anything else that could be damaged / go south AFTER I sink the $3700 (plus money for a new set of tires) into this car.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 27, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Once the t-case is replaced I imagine the rest of it will be fine. The damage is probably localized to that and I can't really imagine what else would be affected by running mismatched tires. Maybe the front/rear diff might have had its lifetime shortened but I doubt it'll be that dramatic.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It only takes like a quarter inch difference in rolling diameter on the Subarus to cook the viscous centre.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

The stock Potenza RE050's are 215/45/18, believe that is for both MS3 and MS6. Currently on Ecsta SPT's at 225/40/18 with no issue.

Yeah, that was the stock size for my MS3 (and that's also the size I went to after I burned through the RE050s). And if you only ever run all four tires at 225/40, then you won't have any problems - the problem isn't specifically that the tires are too big or too small, it's that they were too big/small relative to the spare.

Or if he has 225/45/18 on the car:

Either way, if the spare is sized to be as close as possible to the 25.6" 215/45R18, it could be pushing a half inch difference in diameter between it and either alternative size. The real question here then is whether or not the selling dealership (I'm assuming it must not be a Mazda shop if you're having to negotiate with them separately) actually has any liability for selling the car with non-stock tires.

And yes, the car should be 100% fine once the transfer case is replaced. Even a limited-slip diff will get by running on mismatched tires for a while. No other drivetrain components care about tire size.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, that was the stock size for my MS3 (and that's also the size I went to after I burned through the RE050s). And if you only ever run all four tires at 225/40, then you won't have any problems - the problem isn't specifically that the tires are too big or too small, it's that they were too big/small relative to the spare.

Or if he has 225/45/18 on the car:

Either way, if the spare is sized to be as close as possible to the 25.6" 215/45R18, it could be pushing a half inch difference in diameter between it and either alternative size. The real question here then is whether or not the selling dealership (I'm assuming it must not be a Mazda shop if you're having to negotiate with them separately) actually has any liability for selling the car with non-stock tires.

And yes, the car should be 100% fine once the transfer case is replaced. Even a limited-slip diff will get by running on mismatched tires for a while. No other drivetrain components care about tire size.

Used Ford dealership, specifically Lasco Ford in Fenton, MI.

Repairs started today. On my dime. Including a full set of tires. I'll pursue the dealership further for compensation later but right now I need my car back.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

A coworker of mine got the Mazda 3 GT. She says that occasionally in this cold -30 weather the heads up display will malfunction and fail to deploy. But after the car warms up a bit she powered it down and then on again and the HUD extended normally. May not be cold related, and if it is it could cause the entire assembly to fail someday.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
So I'm driving on the highway, about to take an exit, 60mph or so, and all of my electronics Including my lights turned off for half a second. I wasn't really moving the wheel, but I want to say the power steering didn't go out. Everything came back up like I had just started the car except the display cluster. The only thing that showed up there was the traction control, the headlight indicator, and the backlight. Help? '13 MS3 w/ 4800 miles =/

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
I've noticed my '07 MS3 has been pulling during acceleration for awhile now. It's dead straight when I'm coasting, but when I'm accelerating or engine braking it'll track to one side. I don't think think that it's torque steer - even if I'm at highway speeds and accelerate mildly it'll track to one side. It's more noticeable in 3rd and higher, but that might just be that normal torque steer drowns it out in first and second. I read that this might be a motor mount issue and replaced the RMM, but I didn't notice an improvement. After the last time the oil was changed and tires rotated the direction it pulled switched from right to left.

Some more backstory - I didn't notice this for the first year I owned the car, but I can't say for sure that it wasn't happening more mildly. A year ago I got new tires (Pirelli Nero) that are nicer than what it used to have. The pulling started after the first time the new tires were rotated.

It's not the wheel wrenching to one side, it's easy to keep the wheel dead straight but the car starts going a slightly different direction than the wheel is pointing.

Could this just be a normal part of having somewhat grippy tires that aren't worn exactly the same, or could it be a defective tire? It happens even during really mild acceleration, which makes me thing that it's really just down to tire wear than it would occur on nearly all FWD cars...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was fighting that on my '07 MS3 before I traded it in last year - the thought here was perhaps worn control arms.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
Does that jibe with the fact that the pull direction changed after the tires were rotated?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Satchmo posted:

Does that jibe with the fact that the pull direction changed after the tires were rotated?

How about weird uneven wear due to torque steer? Is that a thing that could happen?

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Aexo posted:

So I'm driving on the highway, about to take an exit, 60mph or so, and all of my electronics Including my lights turned off for half a second. I wasn't really moving the wheel, but I want to say the power steering didn't go out. Everything came back up like I had just started the car except the display cluster. The only thing that showed up there was the traction control, the headlight indicator, and the backlight. Help? '13 MS3 w/ 4800 miles =/

You can call 1-800-222-5500 for Mazda customer service. That sounds like a pretty major problem, so I'll message you my email so you can contact me if they don't know what's going on.

Edit: nevermind, the customer service faq said they don't do technical support. You need to take your car to a dealer

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 31, 2014

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Stolennosferatu posted:

You can call 1-800-222-5500 for Mazda customer service. That sounds like a pretty major problem, so I'll message you my email so you can contact me if they don't know what's going on.

Edit: nevermind, the customer service faq said they don't do technical support. You need to take your car to a dealer

Thanks for the help anyway. Yeah, I was told to take the car in.

edit: No error codes, all the electrical looked ok. They tightened connections to the battery and alternator. Here's hoping it won't happen again.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 31, 2014

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Has anyone with a 2014 mazda had their infotainment thing updated yet? Im getting it done monday and am hoping it fixes the iPod Starting at Song 1 Every Time problem.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It's been a week since the part for my car was ordered and it arrived at the shop today! Service department fully expects to have it done by tomorrow.

So with my luck I'll see my car on Friday or something.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

bing_commander posted:

Has anyone with a 2014 mazda had their infotainment thing updated yet? Im getting it done monday and am hoping it fixes the iPod Starting at Song 1 Every Time problem.

whaaa, they are officially updating the 2013-cx5 /2014 mazda6 headunit problems?

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Yeah, supposedly version 28 is already available at some dealers. Mine only put 25 on so I'll probably have to go back some day. It still needs improvements, but at least if I leave my ipod on random, it will shuffle for the first song now.

Or it could be because it's actually playing my 1/10th second long mp3 first now. Either way its an improvement I guess.

bing_commander fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 11, 2014

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

bing_commander posted:

Yeah, supposedly version 28 is already available at some dealers. Mine only put 25 on so I'll probably have to go back some day. It still needs improvements, but at least if I leave my ipod on random, it will shuffle for the first song now.

Does the ipod still take 10 minutes to load? I suppose I should just ask my service center for version 28 firmware for the head unit?

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
My ipod only has a few gigs of songs, but it consistently starts playing within a few seconds. I had a authorization failure sometimes before. You might be able to get the latest version depending on how much your mechanics know about it. I think they can get it from Mazda's online resources, but some just get the usb sticks in the mail.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Nice day in New York equals Corksport short shift plate and shifter bushings.

The plate was relatively easy to install, and holy poo poo, what a difference on my MS3. It claims it can take up to 40 percent out of the throw (based on adjustment) - I went a little conservative and the car is even more rowdy now.

The bushings on the other hand. Total pain, and did not notice much of a difference.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So the girlfriend is looking for a car. Small, economical, wagon/hatchback and we came upon this one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4338481583.html
It's got a couple "ricer/tuner" bits of carbon fiber trim, altezza taillights (that leak, but comes with new oem) but otherwise seems ok. The top passenger engine mount is cracked, but holding. That doesn't concern me much, the main concern is a road-speed related rubbing noise coming from the rear end. It's like tires rubbing, but they aren't, everything is stock. I suspected an alignment or wheel bearing issue, but when I asked the current owner, he referred to it as "protege noise". He said 3 that he's owned or ridden in do it. It's louder than the engine at 70mph, and is what I'd consider unacceptable.

Have you guys heard anything about "protege noise"? Or know what this could be?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
I'm nearing 92,000 miles and my suspension is creaking and groaning over every bump and grind. Plus my driver's rear is sagging a little (7mm) lower than the right. I travel a ton for work (almost 24k miles last year) and would like a softer ride. What combination springs/shocks would you guys recommend? I'm not incredibly keen on lowering it either as I already scrape enough as it is.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sublime Process posted:

I'm nearing 92,000 miles and my suspension is creaking and groaning over every bump and grind. Plus my driver's rear is sagging a little (7mm) lower than the right. I travel a ton for work (almost 24k miles last year) and would like a softer ride. What combination springs/shocks would you guys recommend? I'm not incredibly keen on lowering it either as I already scrape enough as it is.

MSF has a laundry list of what check when you've got suspension clunk, I'd have to search again I'm not posting from a phone.

I bought Sensens and I hate them. Shouldn't have cut corners and I'm probably gonna end up picking up Koni Yellows when I save up more cash.

e: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/sensen-shocks-apx-auto-74702/

Huh, maybe Corksport struts is a possibility.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/corksport-struts-jbr-rear-sway-bar-jbr-162986/

air- fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 23, 2014

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

air- posted:

MSF has a laundry list of what check when you've got suspension clunk, I'd have to search again I'm not posting from a phone.

I bought Sensens and I hate them. Shouldn't have cut corners and I'm probably gonna end up picking up Koni Yellows when I save up more cash.

e: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/sensen-shocks-apx-auto-74702/

Huh, maybe Corksport struts is a possibility.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/corksport-struts-jbr-rear-sway-bar-jbr-162986/

I've been reading since I posted last and it just sounds like my shocks are worn out. At this moment, it seems like I'll go for Koni FSDs with my stock springs for now. If it comes to it, it says Eibach springs work with them so I'd snag the endlinks as well.

Past that - I'm suspension ignorant. I know to get an alignment after I put them on. What else should I take note of?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I've been following the 2014 Mazda 3 for more than a year now. And the past two weeks my current car has been giving me poo poo, so I said gently caress it. Went to the dealership today and closed on a 3S Touring Sedan in Meteor Grey. 25k OTD. I pick it up tomorrow, ahhhhh! I've been flip flopping on the sedan vs hatch thing for a while, but I really think the sedan looks better on this generation 3. This car is drat pretty in person.

I've been missing Mazda since I sold my rx-8, it feels good to be back!

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I've been following the 2014 Mazda 3 for more than a year now. And the past two weeks my current car has been giving me poo poo, so I said gently caress it. Went to the dealership today and closed on a 3S Touring Sedan in Meteor Grey. 25k OTD. I pick it up tomorrow, ahhhhh! I've been flip flopping on the sedan vs hatch thing for a while, but I really think the sedan looks better on this generation 3. This car is drat pretty in person.

I've been missing Mazda since I sold my rx-8, it feels good to be back!

Woo hoo!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Congrats on your new car! This got me looking at what Mazda is doing for the new 3s, since i haven't checked on them in a while.

The prices on the 3 versus the 6 are so drat close. If I was looking at sedans, it would be a tough choice to go with the smaller 3 versus a 6 when the $25K 6 has a lot of features.

Yes, the 6 with all the options costs more than a 3 with all the options, but comparing two $25K cars is very, very close. It would be a very tough call for me considering that the 3 doesn't get much better mileage than the 6.

Now, the hatchback is a different story, since you can't get a 6 wagon. But I would be willing to lose HID headlights to be in a bigger, more comfortable car.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 27, 2014

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

Congrats on your new car! This got me looking at what Mazda is doing for the new 3s, since i haven't checked on them in a while.

The prices on the 3 versus the 6 are so drat close. If I was looking at sedans, it would be a tough choice to go with the smaller 3 versus a 6 when the $25K 6 has a lot of features.

Yes, the 6 with all the options costs more than a 3 with all the options, but comparing two $25K cars is very, very close. It would be a very tough call for me considering that the 3 doesn't get much better mileage than the 6.

Now, the hatchback is a different story, since you can't get a 6 wagon. But I would be willing to lose HID headlights to be in a bigger, more comfortable car.

I also had this same problem. I was looking pretty hard at the 6 also, because, as you said, the prices are pretty similar. What it came down to for me is a couple things. One, is that after driving the 3, I realized it has all the room I need for me personally. Also, the infotainment on the 6 is a different unit than the 3 and from what I've heard it's really, really buggy, and it's been out longer than the 3. The 3's is also a bit buggy, but it's being updated regularly. Basically it came down to a bunch of small things, it was a tough choice.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Speaking of the new 3, I been looking into buying my first car (had license for over a year and haven't driven at all) and I keep drifting back to checking out the new Mazda 3 hatchback. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions.

What's the major difference between the S touring and S grand touring? The dealerships near me only stock the S grand touring (the S touring I was eyeing just got sold last weekend..) and while I'm a sucker for fancy toys (heads up display for example), I don't know the extra 1-2 thousand might be worth it. Additionally, is the heads up display and other S trim features even worth it or would I somewhat better off with the I trim with infotainment package + loss of horse power? Lastly, any opinions/recommendations in general about the new Mazdas for a new driver or any sort of beaters I should look into first? Money isn't exactly a problem but I'd like to save up as well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I also had this same problem. I was looking pretty hard at the 6 also, because, as you said, the prices are pretty similar. What it came down to for me is a couple things. One, is that after driving the 3, I realized it has all the room I need for me personally. Also, the infotainment on the 6 is a different unit than the 3 and from what I've heard it's really, really buggy, and it's been out longer than the 3. The 3's is also a bit buggy, but it's being updated regularly. Basically it came down to a bunch of small things, it was a tough choice.

My understanding is that the 3's infotainment will be in the 2015 6s/CX-5s.

quote:

What's the major difference between the S touring and S grand touring? The dealerships near me only stock the S grand touring (the S touring I was eyeing just got sold last weekend..) and while I'm a sucker for fancy toys (heads up display for example), I don't know the extra 1-2 thousand might be worth it. Additionally, is the heads up display and other S trim features even worth it or would I somewhat better off with the I trim with infotainment package + loss of horse power? Lastly, any opinions/recommendations in general about the new Mazdas for a new driver or any sort of beaters I should look into first? Money isn't exactly a problem but I'd like to save up as well.

Do you care about the moonroof / energy saving iELOOP (what a dumb name) / radar cruise control? Otherwise, don't bother.

If you don't care about power/speed, an I grand touring might be more affordable while still having the gizmos.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Eirgen posted:

Speaking of the new 3, I been looking into buying my first car (had license for over a year and haven't driven at all) and I keep drifting back to checking out the new Mazda 3 hatchback. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions.

I have the sedan 3 i Touring with Tech package. While it would be nice to have the larger engine, leather, HUD and the HID/LED lights I had to make some compromises to meet my budget and get favorable financing. This is also my first new car, I drove only one other car before it.
Personally I think the 2.0L has plenty of power, and my previous car was a 200HP 3.8 V6.
If you really want to save some money, some dealerships still have the lastgen 2013 3's in stock. They are practically giving them away at this point, you can get a really well equipped one with tons of incentives, and it's a solid car.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Well, this would be my first car ever, since living in nyc I never really needed a car but now I'm sick of public transportation. I'll go check out the dealership later and keep your advice on mind. Money isn't too much of an issue but gotta justify the expenses. I don't think they (koeppel mazda) got i trims with nav system in stock though, without treading into s trim cost. Thanks you two :)

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Eirgen posted:

Well, this would be my first car ever, since living in nyc I never really needed a car but now I'm sick of public transportation. I'll go check out the dealership later and keep your advice on mind. Money isn't too much of an issue but gotta justify the expenses. I don't think they (koeppel mazda) got i trims with nav system in stock though, without treading into s trim cost. Thanks you two :)

If you can wait a month, March is fiscal year end for Mazda (it's a Japanese thing ) so you'll get a great deal.
Also, yes, 15MY Mazda6 will have the new infotainment system. Not sure when they're going out though. Soonish?

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Hmmm. Didn't know that about march and mazda. I'll go look today regardless but may delay a month. They also have a 2010 miata sports convertible automatic certified for 16k so I'm considering that too. Something more for the miata thread I guess.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Eirgen posted:

Hmmm. Didn't know that about march and mazda. I'll go look today regardless but may delay a month. They also have a 2010 miata sports convertible automatic certified for 16k so I'm considering that too. Something more for the miata thread I guess.

There will be a big push (probably) last week of March, but once March ends, all the pressure is gone.
If you do look at a Mazda near that time, send me a SM. They will (again, probably) run a friends and family discount. You may get an even better deal than that if you are a good haggler.

I also ordered a Miata! I can't wait for it to get here.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
After spending about an hour at the dealership, definitely getting myself a MZ3 S touring hatchback. I'll get back to you in a few weeks Stolennosferatu. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eirgen posted:

After spending about an hour at the dealership, definitely getting myself a MZ3 S touring hatchback. I'll get back to you in a few weeks Stolennosferatu. Thanks.

Drove home my S Touring sedan today. You'll love it!