Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Three Pulse Dash Techs on this planet along the surface, two of them at the end of Big Ape portal courses and one in a tech chest sitting on the surface. If you and your buddies need pulse dash, take a trip out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

For completeness' sake, can anyone on the Linux client go to that planet and post what their beam-in point looks like?

I can do that in a several hours.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Armor up to T4 done! Its actually super fun to mix and match armor until you get something that looks neat. Also, I'm not totally sold on the coloring of the T2 armor (the brown one). Any thoughts?

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
Is iron armor, iron hunting bow, and a 14 DPS weapon the best I can do before the first boss? I've been putting it off because I don't want to die repeatedly and keep losing pixels, but there's not much left for me to do in tier 1. I'm on vanilla.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Is iron armor, iron hunting bow, and a 14 DPS weapon the best I can do before the first boss? I've been putting it off because I don't want to die repeatedly and keep losing pixels, but there's not much left for me to do in tier 1. I'm on vanilla.

If you can find some bombs it only takes 4 to kill it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

dog kisser posted:

Armor up to T4 done! Its actually super fun to mix and match armor until you get something that looks neat. Also, I'm not totally sold on the coloring of the T2 armor (the brown one). Any thoughts?

I have to say that this looks really good and I feel like you captured the 'era' of each tech level, if that makes any sense.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't be misled by people whining about it, you can sleepwalk though the first boss. Use your bow on it unless you have the terrain to feasibly get level with it. A gun makes the fight even easier but is far from a necessity.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

dog kisser posted:

Those are some pretty sweet armors and ship! It's kind of hard to see the colors with the brownish atmosphere of the place you are taking photos in though so maybe you'd like to take some photos in the ship/somewhere with a cleaner or brighter atmosphere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dog kisser posted:

That is a... very small ship.

The armour looks chill though.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Det_no posted:

Those are some pretty sweet armors and ship! It's kind of hard to see the colors with the brownish atmosphere of the place you are taking photos in though so maybe you'd like to take some photos in the ship/somewhere with a cleaner or brighter atmosphere.

Yeah it was better lighting on the planet earlier, but the sun was setting and I ran out of time! I'll put some better pictures up when I finish tier 5/6.

Also - from looking at them, is it obvious or hinted that they're from an ice planet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

That is a... very small ship.

The armour looks chill though.

Thanks - also yeah a tiny ship but designed differently enough to add some new building opportunities I hope.

Eh, oh well. Either way, they are! Hoping to set up their dungeons and stuff to only appear on snow planets. I feel like tundra and ice planets don't get enough love because it's hard to live there so I'm making these guys perfectly suited to it.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 31, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Yeah, if you have bandages and Iron weapons + Armor, you are in no danger of dying to the boss unless wildlife wanders in at a bad time.

You will shrug off and destroy rocket soldiers and tanks with Iron weapons/Armor far more easily than most of the Wildlife that spawns on a starter world. Iron Hammer will crush all penguins that warp in easily, and their guns will do 1 or 2 damage per bullet in the few seconds they live before you flatten them like it's whack-a-mole.

Just did a UFO rematch with the Iron Bow (and Durasteel armor). Counting out loud, it took 50 arrows (most doing 7 damage) to kill it... The problem there is that with Iron armor, after 5 or 6 arrows your drain outpaces the recharge, and after the 7th shot you have to wait an extra second between shots. This just drags out the fight.

Later bosses it can be a bitch without the RNG blessing you with solid guns, because past the second boss (actual danger of dying to the boss itself, but doable with a Steel Spear) their hitboxes are so huge and wonky anything with less range than a spear will only result in you getting smashed in the face and hurled away before you hit them, sometimes without even coming anywhere near touching the boss. But by the Dragon and Jelly, you have the option to be a cheating bastard and spawn gun turrets for 1 pixel each from your 3d printer anyways if you so desire (remember to turn them on with E/middle mouse).

Blhue posted:

Don't be misled by people whining about it, you can sleepwalk though the first boss. Use your bow on it unless you have the terrain to feasibly get level with it. A gun makes the fight even easier but is far from a necessity.

All my constant bitching about the UFO has been "Get back here and let me stab you :argh:" related. I've only managed to locate a double jump on a few of my UFO fights and it just gets older every time with repetition and changes like "Oh, Bows drain energy now".

EDIT: More of my insane crazy idiot problems. Paint Gun doesn't work on cobblestone bricks :qq:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 31, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

For completeness' sake, can anyone on the Linux client go to that planet and post what their beam-in point looks like?

Alpha LYncis Minora III b Linux client Beam-in point (1280x1024)

I'd like to see a comparison of Linux clients, that looks awfully bare.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Just a note for everyone: If you use a mod that requires you to edit the player file (Porta-Porta for example) and you don't (edit the file), then the game will crash on startup and will wipe your player files (it won't delete it but the file itself will be blank.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Got stuck with a green clump from an explosive phlegm attack, now it doesn't go away and it persists through quit and reload, head cosmetics and what else.

Maybe panicking out to the ship and bed wasn't the best idea, but I was at very low health.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.

qnqnx posted:

Got stuck with a green clump from an explosive phlegm attack, now it doesn't go away and it persists through quit and reload, head cosmetics and what else.

Maybe panicking out to the ship and bed wasn't the best idea, but I was at very low health.

This is a common bug that is fixed by unequipping your back slot item.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Captain Spoon posted:

This is a common bug that is fixed by unequipping your back slot item.

Did work, but it reappears when I re-equip the stick, and I've got no other backpack items tot est this with.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.

qnqnx posted:

Did work, but it reappears when I re-equip the stick, and I've got no other backpack items tot est this with.

:ssh:

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131218150346/starboundgame/images/1/14/Lantern_Stick.png

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

horns.aiff

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Since this latest patch is there an easy way to hack the matter manipulator? The files seem to be in a .pak now or some poo poo.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

qnqnx posted:

The stick has a leaf.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Since this latest patch is there an easy way to hack the matter manipulator? The files seem to be in a .pak now or some poo poo.

Yeah, you need to unpack the .pak, edit the file as you usually would, and repack the .pak. It's not as hard as it seems since chucklefish included the utilities to deal with the .pak, but it's more work than it used to be.

Open up a command prompt, input the following, edited as necessary to get the directories right:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test"

This should dump your assets into a 'test' folder in the assets folder. Then you can open the beamaxe file like you usually would in order to edit the matter manipulator. Once you're finished, go back to the command prompt and input:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_packer.exe"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test\packed.pak"

That should take the contents of the test folder and dump it back into a .pak file, which you can then move to the assets folder after you backup the old one, just in case you broke something. Load up the game and you should be good to go!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

If you just want to up the speed and radius grab my BetterBeamaxe Mod and use as-is or change the values to whatever you want.

If you want to do more I'd still recommend using the file merging/overwriting method in a mod because every update that touches the asset .pak is going to wipe out anything you change in there.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

dog kisser posted:

These things are really cool.

Is it a goatperson?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
After hitting random until I found a Sector X system with a T5 or 6 asteroid field and T5 or 6 desert, I finally leave the Gamma Sector (having never even gone to the Delta sector), my first stop being the asteroid field.

Welcome to sector X :fuckoff:

For the sake of the morbidly curious, or those who just like spawning on the lethal bottom of an asteroid biome, here is the location. I'm just turning right the gently caress around. I'd swear off Asteroid fields alltogether at this point, but I've read that Plutonium might only be in asteroid fields. Then again, I've also read that Urianium starts showing up from Beta onwards, and I have not seen a single scrap of it.

Sector X
X -3679614 Y -67704716
The X Kochab 3821 System,
X Kochab 3821 II d, the huge T5 asteroid field

In other news, dear lord the portable printer unlocked tiles are costly. 50 Pixels per tier... Which puts them are a rate of One Gold Bar per Lego Block. Back to growing a forest for my future underground log cabin, and because it is literally a faster way to gain coal than diamond drilling through the entire deep ground tar biome of a (tiny) Jungle world in the Gamma sector. Came out of it with over 1k Titanium Ore and 500+ silver and gold ore though.

Persistent farmables is the only mod I am using (Huuur Vanilla experience), but I am so glad I am using it.

EDIT: Here we go, a nice tiny T5 moon. My Durasteel armor is even warm enough to not need extra heat sources compared to the last asteroid field I could actually explode. Shame the animals still only drop 10 pixels.-Oh, the wildlife hits me for 120 damage, when not spitting acid at me for I blinked and missed how much what killed me did... But considering I have a max health of 200...

Maybe this is a "Hard" T5 Moon, let's try this T5 Grassland... There we go, they only hit me for 70-80 damage here (when it's not projectiles with DoT adding up to more). Sure, this may be a grasslands without much in the way of grass, and there's poison, but hey, 25 plutonium (and 50 coal once I dug a bit) within view of the spawn! Things are looking up, and at least things killing me in three hit's instead of two is more what I'm used to by now. On the bright side? Some of these birds have buggy explosives! They shot me in the face several times, and only sometimes they did damage.

Note to self, break down and grab estus flask tomorrow. Because bandages don't cut it, and when Sector X animals still either drop no pixels or 10 pixels half the time, can't afford to churn out nanobandgages.

EDIT Two: I'm convinced the Coal in my copy of Starbound is powered by jealousy. Any Uranium I find has nearby or mixed with it as much, or more coal after going through several sectors where I can barely find the stuff.

Also NOPE enemies still hit me for 113+ damage here too. Jesus.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 31, 2014

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Section Z posted:

For the sake of the morbidly curious, or those who just like spawning on the lethal bottom of an asteroid biome, here is the location. I'm just turning right the gently caress around. I'd swear off Asteroid fields alltogether at this point, but I've read that Plutonium might only be in asteroid fields. Then again, I've also read that Urianium starts showing up from Beta onwards, and I have not seen a single scrap of it.

If you check the higher threat level Sector X planets, you'll start finding plutonium everywhere. Uranium as well, even if you're just running along the surface of the planet. So they're definitely not restricted to asteroid fields.

I don't know if uranium can spawn in beta / delta level planets, but I don't remember seeing any.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in mad love with the Goon Exploration & Combat mod. Metallic planets are the poo poo. :allears:

E: Someone made a novakid mod on the forums.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 31, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm in mad love with the Goon Exploration & Combat mod. Metallic planets are the poo poo. :allears:

I've mixed feelings about the exploration mod, though the combat mod is loving amazing. It's nice to have more minerals when digging, but on the copper/iron-soil planets and the like? It's just same alllllll the way around. Nice for grinding but drat there's a lot of those. I'm only in alpha though, so.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

I've mixed feelings about the exploration mod, though the combat mod is loving amazing. It's nice to have more minerals when digging, but on the copper/iron-soil planets and the like? It's just same alllllll the way around. Nice for grinding but drat there's a lot of those. I'm only in alpha though, so.

It opens up a lot more in Beta, when you find a Metallic planet? Just go there for mining, it takes out the grind and lets you get to the fun exploration bits. I'm going to probably add a dungeon pack of some sort for the mod though. I feel like there should be more stuff above and below ground.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Turtlicious posted:

Is that the respawn animation? Awesome.

e: filename gives it away, derp. Still awesome though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

It opens up a lot more in Beta, when you find a Metallic planet? Just go there for mining, it takes out the grind and lets you get to the fun exploration bits. I'm going to probably add a dungeon pack of some sort for the mod though. I feel like there should be more stuff above and below ground.

Yeah I'm still game to play around with it, and worst case I'll just start up a new character with vanilla. I like the exploration and being surprised by what I find part of Starbound most, and if I'll get more of that in beta I'll be a happy fish.

And are there dungeon packs? I hate that below ground it's nothing but empty caverns and dirt and stone and then eventually lava. It's just so tired. I'd kill for some more interesting things belowground.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah I'm still game to play around with it, and worst case I'll just start up a new character with vanilla. I like the exploration and being surprised by what I find part of Starbound most, and if I'll get more of that in beta I'll be a happy fish.

And are there dungeon packs? I hate that below ground it's nothing but empty caverns and dirt and stone and then eventually lava. It's just so tired. I'd kill for some more interesting things belowground.

There are some underground set pieces, its just that... Well, good drat luck finding them. Hopefully whenever we get the ability to tell how many features a planet has, some sort of anomaly scanner that can lead you to them will come with it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Some of the underground stuff is really boring too, like a random box shaped sewer themed building with poison water and a sewer chest... big loving whoop.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Some of the underground stuff is really boring too, like a random box shaped sewer themed building with poison water and a sewer chest... big loving whoop.

Yeah ideally these dungeons might have say, a poo hat, or a poo gun or whatever once it's actually out of beta that makes it feel worthwhile trudging through a poison sewer. I kinda figure the underwhelming nature of a lot of the dungeons is just the amount of content that's still missing from the game at this point.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Hey they did rectify that somewhat this patch, you can get special two handed 'chair' weapons with unique names like thunderthrone from prisons now... which is hillarious.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I got some cool glitch maces, a crossbow, and a legendary shield called The Infernal Machine Blocker from a Glitch castle. A USMC base got me a riot shield and truncheon. It's nice being able to get themed gear!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Motherfucker posted:

Hey they did rectify that somewhat this patch, you can get special two handed 'chair' weapons with unique names like thunderthrone from prisons now... which is hillarious.

Yeah, for a while I wandered the galaxy beating things to death with a 119 dps folding chair, before swapping it for something that wasn't inconveniently slow.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You know

I wish there was a use for superior / inferior brains after the robot.

Specifically: Using multiple inferior brains you can build a 'hive' which is just a bunch of inferior brains in a bubble over a 'kennel' that when activated with wire disgorges a bunch of killer robot dog / buzzsaw faced minispiders / randomly generated scrab robots that fight for you, used with wire systems to make traps. Maybe a big clock on the front to show when the next lot of robots is ready (and conveniently when the last lot will self destruct)

Superior brains let you build big robot guards which are like unmanned versions of the glitch or human mechs with a different sprite, their toughness scales with the planet you deploy them on but they're basically tough as hell and never vanish.

Once multiplayer and PVP is buffed out it would be awesome if you could set up traps on the planet by putting a machine that rains angry scrap-bots all over the god drat place from the asteroid layer that only activates at night or whatever

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

You know

I wish there was a use for superior / inferior brains after the robot.

Call them A.B. Normal brains and build your own zombie apocalypse. Cleanse the planet!

• Locked thread