Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Haqqs look really good in urban digital camo. (unfortunately I don't have pics on hand)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

OB_Juan posted:

I'm pretty excited about putting my Haqq starter. Fortunately, I have some models I can use to proxy whatever while I decide what to pick up.

Naffatun Proxies, Ho!

In other news, while I like the default color scheme, I was wondering if people had come across any cool alternate colorschemes.

Deviant: If we are doing a tron board, I have ideas.

I found a place that will do a 4x4 blue gridded banner for $28, so we are.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Current Foamcore Recognizer Status: Being planned.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Haqqs look really good in urban digital camo. (unfortunately I don't have pics on hand)
Yeah one of the guys here has done urban digital for his Haqq with an orange for details and it looks sexy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

Current Foamcore Recognizer Status: Being planned.

Table status: started.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

I picked up the Nomads army for Infinity. I Can't wait to start painting and playing.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I've gotten a few friends to invest in some 150 points squads so was running through a few games with them, and an interesting scenario popped up.

Basically one of them had a model with a chain rifle, while the other had a dude somewhat in front of him and another a fair bit behind him (outside the range of the chain rifle). The model behind moved to generate an ARO from the chain rifle unit, who has LoS but obviously not enough range to hit. However if he does place the template it hits the other unit who is standing in front of him.

Is he allowed to declare a reactive shot to the other model and coincidentally hit the closer one?

Gut feeling was no, but couldn't find anything on the wiki to suggest otherwise.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
If it's a friendly model, the shot's canceled.

If it's another enemy, not only is he allowed to do this, the shot goes off even if the second one is a camo/TO marker.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pierzak posted:

If it's another enemy, not only is he allowed to do this, the shot goes off even if the second one is a camo/TO marker.

I need to get into this game faster.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Something that I've been shaky on is exactly how Combat Jump works in terms of AROs.

I think order of events works like this: Declare you're spending the model's order to use AD3. Place circle template on the table in an area without scenery, with the 1 towards the center of the table - this is the Landing Zone. Place model completely within the template. Make a normal PH roll and deviate if necessary. Check to see if the model (on the ground) is within LoF of any models - they may declare an ARO in response to the AD3 long skill. Check to see if the model is within the ZoC of any models - they may declare an ARO in response to the AD3 long skill, but are limited to Turn Around unless they have equipment or skills that do not require LoF. Because AD3 is movement and not an attack, Sixth Sense doesn't allow models to respond to the model combat jumping in outside of their LoF.

I think that's how the sequence of events plays out (technically the LoF and ZoC checks happen at the same time), and don't think I forgot anything.

Rules sanity check out of the way, I'm thinking about taking this list to a Quadrant Control game against Ariadna on Tuesday.
COMBINED ARMY
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 9 0 2

ANYAT K1 Combi Rifle, Chain-colt, Smoke Grenades, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (25)
VECTOR HMG / Pistol, Shock CCW. (1.5 | 35)
DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (14)
DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (14)
ASWANG Boarding Shotgun, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (25)
ASWANG Lieutenant Combi Rifle, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 25)
ANATHEMATIC Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (2 | 84)
SPECULO KILLER Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (1 | 39)
KO DALI Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / 2 Assault Pistols, Knife. (37)

5.5 SWC | 298 Points

Open with Army 4

I expect to come up against mainly the usual russian suspects (Vet Kazaks, Tank Hunters) and a Dog Warrior which has given me more than its fair share of problems in the past. I'm trying to figure out whether I send the Speculo to butcher it on its own, or give locking it down with adhesive launchers another try. That didn't work out so hot last time, but part of that was the board we were playing on being incredibly crowded with terrain. Other than that, I figure the Daturazi and Vector Operator can combine to create some mayhem, with the Anathematic running up a flank to start chewing on order monkeys, possibly supplemented by Ko Dali dropping into the backfield. As a side benefit, the Anathematic is worth a preposterous number of points when it comes to controlling a quadrant, so jamming it into the spot where my opponent's strongest can help tip that calculation in my favor at the end of the game. Hopefully this time around, I'll remember that Protheion also grants V: Dogged and get some actual use out of my trio of space vampires, too.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Huh, that seems a bit odd but fair.

Thanks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

stabbington posted:

Something that I've been shaky on is exactly how Combat Jump works in terms of AROs.

I think order of events works like this: Declare you're spending the model's order to use AD3. Place circle template on the table in an area without scenery, with the 1 towards the center of the table - this is the Landing Zone. Place model completely within the template. Make a normal PH roll and deviate if necessary. Check to see if the model (on the ground) is within LoF of any models - they may declare an ARO in response to the AD3 long skill. Check to see if the model is within the ZoC of any models - they may declare an ARO in response to the AD3 long skill, but are limited to Turn Around unless they have equipment or skills that do not require LoF. Because AD3 is movement and not an attack, Sixth Sense doesn't allow models to respond to the model combat jumping in outside of their LoF.

I think that's how the sequence of events plays out (technically the LoF and ZoC checks happen at the same time), and don't think I forgot anything.
This is correct (I read the ZOC checks as "for anyone that doesn't have LOF...").

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

If I want to play the game, what books do I need to play?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
None. Books are for fluff and pretty art only.

Long answer: get the Fan Re-edited Rulebook; it's exactly the same rules text as in the first 2 books, but copy-pasted in a logical order and with an index, so it's 10x easier to use. If you want rules from the third book (just a few new ones), get the Campaign Paradiso rules from the CB website and add it. No army lists, but everyone uses army builders anyway, you want Infinity Army or Aleph Toolbox.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 27, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OB_Juan posted:

In other news, while I like the default color scheme, I was wondering if people had come across any cool alternate colorschemes.

I went for a Mars theme.

(own hosting, a blog I never update)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I went for a Mars theme.

Oh, wow that's really nice. Between this and the digicam idea, it's good to see they work on other schemes.

Edit: Excellent username.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 27, 2014

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So it turns out warsen.al is local to me and Juan.

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I'm putting together the Micro Arts mdf terrain, and the connectors have a really tight fit to the walls, to the point where one snapped off when I was dismantling it. Should I file the insides of the connectors so the fit is a bit more loose?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I would for sure, I can't speak for MAS but my Spartan Scenics stuff had to be filed and sanded down on every connector just to get them to fit together. Definitely do it if it stops pieces breaking.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

ijyt posted:

So I'm putting together the Micro Arts mdf terrain, and the connectors have a really tight fit to the walls, to the point where one snapped off when I was dismantling it. Should I file the insides of the connectors so the fit is a bit more loose?

I've got quite a bit of that stuff, and managed to put it together without any filing etc. It's best to put it on a bit loosely first, and once the structure is all set up, you can push it all in quite easily without it falling to pieces/snapping.

I generally like their stuff because, unlike some of the other mdf stuff once it's all joined together it's really stable and doesn't require any glue. Though this is only their building stuff, dunno about any of their other terrain.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hortism posted:

I've got quite a bit of that stuff, and managed to put it together without any filing etc. It's best to put it on a bit loosely first, and once the structure is all set up, you can push it all in quite easily without it falling to pieces/snapping.

I generally like their stuff because, unlike some of the other mdf stuff once it's all joined together it's really stable and doesn't require any glue. Though this is only their building stuff, dunno about any of their other terrain.

Yeah mine doesn't push in easily at all. It goes in a little bit, but clearly not as far as it should as there are large gaps. When I try to push it in further, there's a lot of resistance and it kind of only goes in a few millimetres at a time.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Had a point to crack up about today, one of our local ALEPH players has been doing quite well vs our other new players because ALEPH are pretty busted sub-250pts (Also, discussion point, I think Netrods were a balancing mistake ALEPH should absolutely not have, at least sub-300 anyway). I played a game with him today at 250 and he thought Intruders were bullshit, because they're the first thing he has encountered that ignores his ODDs.*

It's almost like I'm fighting anything else in the game!

* - Admittedly I was a chode and used Lupe to throw smoke cover down so nothing could see me except his Asura, who promptly got mowed the gently caress down by a HMG.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 31, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just give the Netrods PH 8 and huge minis, like the Imetrons have. Nothing better than a potted plant that's hard to hide from enemy fire :v:

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Has Tohaa gotten over their severe weakness to fire yet? I remember hearing that any team with a flamethrower could just mow through them.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Pierzak posted:

Just give the Netrods PH 8 and huge minis, like the Imetrons have. Nothing better than a potted plant that's hard to hide from enemy fire :v:

Don't forget AVA 2 instead of 3. loving netrods.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I really like how netrods and Posthumans interact, but yeah netrods in an ALEPH list without Posthumans is a bit rough.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

ineptmule posted:

I really like how netrods and Posthumans interact, but yeah netrods in an ALEPH list without Posthumans is a bit rough.

I kinda wish they were purchased a bit more like the Antipode Assault Pack, where the Netrods would come with the Posthumans.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Signal posted:

I kinda wish they were purchased a bit more like the Antipode Assault Pack, where the Netrods would come with the Posthumans.
That would be a nice troll of Aleph players. On the other hand, ISS could buy a Sophotect + Yudbots without loving netrods

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

One of my mates who plays ISS bought that box and converted the Netrods into beach umbrellas for his Hsien, it looks so funny I'll have to get a photo or two of it.

Signal posted:

I like this idea a lot. I don't have a big issue with Netrods at 250pts+ but at sub250 it really just trivialises list building that other factions can't do. (Except maybe YJ). Guess I'll take this super expensive HI and not worry about it being countered because my opponent can't actually afford the counter to it!

On the other hand though, Steel Phalanx continues to be the most gimmicky and lovely sectorial I've come across, excepting Caledonians.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

One of my mates who plays ISS bought that box and converted the Netrods into beach umbrellas for his Hsien, it looks so funny I'll have to get a photo or two of it.

Oh, definitely. I'd love to see it :allears:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

On the other hand though, Steel Phalanx continues to be the most gimmicky and lovely sectorial I've come across, excepting Caledonians.

Just curious, but what makes you say the Caledonian sectorial is gimmicky?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It basically only has one playstyle that I've seen, which is waves of cheap Scottish bodies.

Someone else out there may be having more success with other tactics, but that's all I've ever seen of Caledonia from store to store.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

It basically only has one playstyle that I've seen, which is waves of cheap Scottish bodies.

Someone else out there may be having more success with other tactics, but that's all I've ever seen of Caledonia from store to store.

Ahh, I see. I've yet to face the Caledonian sectorial.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You forgot "a shitload of werewolves".

But maybe it's just a thing of your local meta, there's a ton of Ariadna players in my area (by far the most popular faction) and I've seen Scottish lists ran in various ways.

And human wave assaults run really well when you have a drone-based army. Hmm, multiple sentry guns with MSV2 support, let's throw more bodies at them maybe they'll run out of ammo :downs:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

And human wave assaults run really well when you have a drone-based army. Hmm, multiple sentry guns and MSV2 support, let's throw more bodies at them maybe they'll run out of ammo :downs:
Yeah one of our players got a bit confused on what to do when he hit my buddies double Sin Eater list with a total reaction Zond, it was pretty funny to see the look on his face.

But yeah to explain further, I've seen Caledonians maybe a total of four times in the UK, MRRF and vanilla Ariadna are far more popular. Like most sectorials are quite narrow and limited, it's the name of the game for them, but the Caledonian one is REALLY narrow from what I can see.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Wait, are armies full of chain gun wielding, smoke grenade launching Highlanders a thing? Because that sounds loving fantastic.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hortism posted:

Wait, are armies full of chain gun wielding, smoke grenade launching Highlanders a thing? Because that sounds loving fantastic.
For sure buddy, check out Ariadna and this box in particular if it's your thing:
http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/2011/miniatures/caledonian-highlander-army/
and
http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/2013/miniatures/9th-wulver-grenadiers-reg/

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You misspelled Galwegians :v:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Oh those look like the sensible, properly constructed armies. I was thinking something gimmickly stupid like this:

Ariadna - Caledonian Highlander Army | 44 models

Combat Group #1
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Combat Group #2
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Combat Group #3
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Combat Group #4
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Combat Group #5
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Highlander Chain (6|0)
Wallace Lieutenant (38|0)

296/300 points | 0/6 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : direct link

Buuuut I imagine that'll probably get torn apart in the 300 point range anyways.

I think Highlanders are T available for regular Ariadna anyways, but I think I'm pretty happy with all I've got. Haven't actually touched any of the Caledonian stuff (Greys, Wulvers etc), but I think it's time to either move on to my next army, or convert my Military Orders list to plain Pan O so I can finally get a TAG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That's so many models; it'd be like buying a 1000 40k list at that point :v:

• Locked thread