Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Robawesome posted:

The initial cost on a "good" pair of jeans can be off-putting when you're used to spending $20 on Wranglers at Wal-Mart, but nice, expensive selvedge denim is meant to be worn day-in and day-out for basically several years straight, so it's a bit cheaper if you look at it that way. You can also easily find N&F on sale for ~$100 if you aren't too picky about what style you want. I paid $125 or so for the Regular Guys I've been wearing for something like fifteen months now, they're sick.

I don't know, I buy a $20 dollar pair of Wranglers for work and wear them until they fall apart. They usually last around a year and as a tradesman, theres going to be a lot more wear and tear on them than your average jeans. Just buy a pair that fits and the crotch wont blow out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I don't know, I buy a $20 dollar pair of Wranglers for work and wear them until they fall apart. They usually last around a year and as a tradesman, theres going to be a lot more wear and tear on them than your average jeans. Just buy a pair that fits and the crotch wont blow out.

That's the obvious economical option. There are SA denim thread posters that wear raw denim to work and the quality of high-end denim is much better than those Wranglers, and will likely last longer while you accumulate sick fadez.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Robawesome posted:

The initial cost on a "good" pair of jeans can be off-putting when you're used to spending $20 on Wranglers at Wal-Mart, but nice, expensive selvedge denim is meant to be worn day-in and day-out for basically several years straight, so it's a bit cheaper if you look at it that way. You can also easily find N&F on sale for ~$100 if you aren't too picky about what style you want. I paid $125 or so for the Regular Guys I've been wearing for something like fifteen months now, they're sick.

Yeah I can do that with my Wal-Mart jeans without issue, and I do pretty rough and tumble blue collar stuff in my jeans as well. Plus if the $150 jeans do last that long, they'll probably be out of style by the time you gotten your return on investment out of them. Heh, fashion is silly.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Coredump posted:

Yeah I can do that with my Wal-Mart jeans without issue, and I do pretty rough and tumble blue collar stuff in my jeans as well. Plus if the $150 jeans do last that long, they'll probably be out of style by the time you gotten your return on investment out of them. Heh, fashion is silly.

Yeah jean style sure is finicky

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Coredump posted:

Plus if the $150 jeans do last that long, they'll probably be out of style by the time you gotten your return on investment out of them. Heh, fashion is silly.

There's no going out of style with a simple pair of jeans, I'm not talking about jeans with embellishments or rhinestones. Not wanting to spring for better jeans is fine but there's a gigantic quality difference between Wrangler denim and japanese denim, no need to pretend it's paying $140 extra for a name like you (arguably) do for a "high-end" quartz watch

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Just found a sealed tin of Cornell & Diehl's "Red Odessa" tobacco on eBay. 6 years old. Snapped it up after no one bid on it.

It's a great "sit outside and contemplate life" type of pipe tobacco. Smooth and flavorful.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Coredump posted:

Plus if the $150 jeans do last that long, they'll probably be out of style by the time you gotten your return on investment out of them. Heh, fashion is silly.
Pants are not an investment. Why do goons call any kind of spending an investment? Hurf durf, time to invest fifty dollars in the new pokemans game, hope I can get a good return on my bulbasaurs.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Don't buy glow in the dark denim if it's your only pair of jeans. I only got them because I have about 10 pairs of nice stuff in rotation and also coz I'm a big idiot bitch.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aardark posted:

Pants are not an investment. Why do goons call any kind of spending an investment? Hurf durf, time to invest fifty dollars in the new pokemans game, hope I can get a good return on my bulbasaurs.

It's a figure of speech. Return on Investment =/= getting your money's worth.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Yeah I know, it just peeves me for no particular reason. Guess I'll just reiterate that jeans don't go out of fashion. They're just jeans! Buy a good pair and it'll look even cooler after a couple of years. Glow-in-the-dark ones are particularly timeless.

Aardark has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Aardark posted:

Yeah I know, it just peeves me for no particular reason. Guess I'll just reiterate that jeans don't go out of fashion. They're just jeans! Buy a good pair and it'll look even cooler after a couple of years. Glow-in-the-dark ones are particularly timeless.

Lol if you wore acid wash or wide leg jeans in the last decade. Or if you wear the skin tight "girl jeans" that were in fashion during the middle naughts now. But no, jeans don't go out of fashion.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Posters above already clarified that we're not talking about gimmicky jeans (glow-in-the-dark notwithstanding). I do feel pretty confident in saying that a pair of unwashed dark denim jeans in a straight/slim cut would not have looked out of place in any of the past few decades, and will still look fine in the next few.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glow in the dark jeans have a bright future IMO.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Robawesome posted:

How do these brands compare to the likes of Levis? (The ones bought on the online store, if that makes any difference.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

These are great. I need to treat myself to a nice pair of jeans at some point as I'm busting through crotches in the ones I have at an alarming rate. Finding a pair that fits well is quite literally a ballache.

Photos of them when you get them please.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

App13 posted:

How do these brands compare to the likes of Levis? (The ones bought on the online store, if that makes any difference.)

Compared to your run of the mill $40 Levis, NF brand denim have better material, stitching, and people like the fit more.
For people that love classic Levis like 501's, but want the quality they used to have back in the day, check out their LVC label.

Goons will be enraged to learn that $140 for a pair is actually the lower end for enthusiasts of selvage denim. A pair of sugarcanes, iron heart, pure blue japan, are $300-$400. And the rich kids on superfuture.com have quite a big collection of them.

I will say that in the case of those denim, you are paying more for quality than for brand recognition (since nobody but denim nerds even recognize those brands) so it's less of a rip off than spending $500 on a thin wallet just because it has an LV monogram on it. Those denim are way better than "fashion" brand jeans like Dolce & Gabbana where you are paying more for the name and fake distressing.

Good selvage brand denim is handmade, in Japan or America, organic indigo, rope dyed, african cotton, 14.5oz thickness or more, chain stitched, with thick leather patches, hand weaved on vintage looms that yield better denim but consume more cotton.

But let's not pretend stuff like this is limited to the fashion world. My $80 ikea lounge chair looks good, and is comfortable. But I can understand someone who's willing to drop the cash on an Eames repro.

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jan 31, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Aardark posted:

Posters above already clarified that we're not talking about gimmicky jeans (glow-in-the-dark notwithstanding).
Oh come on, when these styles were in they weren't novelty jeans. They were the style. Styles of jeans go in and out, QED.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Klipsch GiG portable bluetooth speaker for the coming holidays.

It's incredible how much punch they have been able to pack in such small things recently. It sounds like a high end portable speaker twice the size from 5 years ago.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You wanna talk expensive "gimmicky" clothes that are for a niche thing? Try buying almost the entire catalog of Crye Precision stuff.

G3 Combat shirt in MultiCam.

G3 Combat pants in MultiCam and Ranger Green, with matching khaki & green Airflex kneepads.

Large CAGE Plate Carrier (CPC) & platebags in MultiCam.

Large Airframe, rails & MultiCam helmet cover.

The good news is that I got all this stuff well below retail. The bad news is that I'm not in the military.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why have you bought army stuff for war, guy?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I'm guessing for Airsoft, or maybe paintball?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, it's for Airsoft. poo poo gets stupid expensive when you're doing the equivalent of army LARP.

ANVIS-9, mount & low profile battery pack affixed to said Airframe so that I can pew pew kids in the dark.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I never thought about it but that is the perfect way to describe everyone I've met who's really into airsoft.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Is it common for people to buy thousands of dollars of real life combat gear to play pretend guns with or are you that guy?

I just bought this bag from this nice woman on ebay. Judging by the camera she's quite a bit smaller than me and the bag is going to be the tiniest man purse, but it will let me carry my camera with me everywhere without being intrusive at all. Also it's a Saddleback bag that went out of production like a year ago and is really difficult to find for sale used.

And some of this business right here to condition it and darken it because light leather looks gross.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Is it common for people to buy thousands of dollars of real life combat gear to play pretend guns with or are you that guy?

Can't it be both?.

In the airsoft world it is common for those spergs to spend thousands. It's hilarious, really.

He Who Wears Pants
Mar 18, 2007

Who's the 'King of Pop' now, bitch?
Denim enthusiasts. If the forums have taught me anything, it's that people will geek out over anything. What's to enthuse over? Or is it simply the act of dropping a not-insignificant amount of money on pants that drives people to take an unusually strong interest in something so mundane?

Anyway, obviously not my thing, despite what my username implies. Go nuts, expensive-jeans-havers.

When T-Mobile dropped the mic with their ETF payoff scheme, I jumped at the opportunity to get out of my contracts with Sprint, and at a lower monthly bill. New service also means new phone:

Samsung Galaxy S4

and a Puregear Dualtek case for it

and some screen protectors, but everyone knows what those look like.

Android Bicyclist posted:

You wanna talk expensive "gimmicky" clothes that are for a niche thing? Try buying almost the entire catalog of Crye Precision stuff.

~[Multicam]~

The good news is that I got all this stuff well below retail. The bad news is that I'm not in the military.

Assuming you're getting this for outdoor milwanking activities, at least you went with Multicam and not UCP. I always shake my head at the Airsoft tryhards gearing up in ACUs. Congratulations on being the most visible thing outside of a gravel pit or grandma's couch! Less funny when it was given to actual Soldiers who got actual shot-at.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^Excellent username/post combo. For most people who are into jeans, the enthusiasm comes from how they wear in more than anything. Natural fades on raw denim just look really nice to me.

For content, my sister in law recommended I check out a cool local liquor store/speak-easy while I was in Jacksonville on business. I went in on my lunch break because I've been meaning to snag a bottle of whisky to have around the house. I was the only one there so I made friends with the guy working and he gave me a whisky tasting for free. Ended up picking up a bottle of this.

I was a little skeptical on a French whisky, but it's pretty tasty. Very mellow, but complex at the same time. Definitely a good whisky for sipping neat.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Yeah, it's for Airsoft. poo poo gets stupid expensive when you're doing the equivalent of army LARP.

ANVIS-9, mount & low profile battery pack affixed to said Airframe so that I can pew pew kids in the dark.

Where, for how much was this? It seems to cost north of 10K$.

Here's my stuff I just bought:

Boker Plus cera-neck

A ceramic blade to be carried in a pendant/pouch sort of arrangement.

Monadnock 26" detective

A collapsible baton- seems to be mid-high range quality from short intertube research.

Silk-epil 7

A high-end(?) hair removal thing.

I'll let you combine these in your imagination...

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Glow in the dark jeans have a bright future IMO.

I've heard it's so bright you'll have to wear sunglasses at night.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Hellbeard posted:

Here's my stuff I just bought:

Boker Plus cera-neck

A ceramic blade to be carried in a pendant/pouch sort of arrangement.

Monadnock 26" detective

A collapsible baton- seems to be mid-high range quality from short intertube research.

Silk-epil 7

A high-end(?) hair removal thing.

I'll let you combine these in your imagination...

Well, who doesn't want silky smooth legs and genitals when walking into a concealable weapon melee?

Noggahide
May 16, 2009
I am a piece of shit retard

rockcity posted:

Just ordered a new TV. 60" Sharp Aquos LED Smart TV. It was on sale for $899 over the weekend at Best Buy and I almost pulled the trigger, but this morning hhgregg had an 11% off coupon for purchases over $299 so it ended up at $845.

I also bought a bunch of stuff to put together a new entertainment unit for it last week at Ikea as well. The issue I'm having though is that I'm missing one crucial part and none of the stores have it in FL and it's on backorder with no more info on when it may get in. You also can't buy that part solo online for some reason so I may have to call stores in other states to see if I can pay them to ship it to me or my local store.

Thank you for posting this!!! I just bought the exact same TV less than 3 weeks ago for over $300.00 more, so I'm heading out to the local best buy to get the difference refunded to me. They have a 15 day post purchase window for such things and since I have premium plus status with them, it gets extended to 45 days.

On another note, the picture on this TV is amazing, however it takes a lot of tweaking out of the box to get it so.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

tribbledirigible posted:

Well, who doesn't want silky smooth legs and genitals when walking into a concealable weapon melee?

Less hair means you won't get any friction when you pull out that last-ditch knife taped to the inside of your thigh.

Also, regarding airsoft: that is crazy. Not to say that paintball is less crazy... generally trading :black101: for :kamina: in terms of aesthetics, but equally as expensive and gear-mad (which is why I stopped playing.)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Noggahide posted:

Thank you for posting this!!! I just bought the exact same TV less than 3 weeks ago for over $300.00 more, so I'm heading out to the local best buy to get the difference refunded to me. They have a 15 day post purchase window for such things and since I have premium plus status with them, it gets extended to 45 days.

On another note, the picture on this TV is amazing, however it takes a lot of tweaking out of the box to get it so.

No problem. Just to make sure it's the same model, this is the 60LC650U. I finally set it up last night and I used the settings listed on a thread on the CNET forums and I'm liking the picture so far, but I've only tested it with my cable box so far. I plan to fire up a Blu-Ray later today to really see how it looks. I watched a basketball game last night though and it looked awesome. Great value for performance.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Klipsch GiG portable bluetooth speaker for the coming holidays.

It's incredible how much punch they have been able to pack in such small things recently. It sounds like a high end portable speaker twice the size from 5 years ago.

How is it? I just picked up an Antec SP1 super cheap and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

tribbledirigible posted:

High speed. Low drag.

:mmmhmm:

Noggahide
May 16, 2009
I am a piece of shit retard

rockcity posted:

No problem. Just to make sure it's the same model, this is the 60LC650U. I finally set it up last night and I used the settings listed on a thread on the CNET forums and I'm liking the picture so far, but I've only tested it with my cable box so far. I plan to fire up a Blu-Ray later today to really see how it looks. I watched a basketball game last night though and it looked awesome. Great value for performance.

It was, and thanks again!! I used part of my $324.00 refund to buy AppleTV! What really sold me on this is that it now supports HBOgo.

Noggahide has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Feb 2, 2014

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

He Who Wears Pants posted:

Assuming you're getting this for outdoor milwanking activities, at least you went with Multicam and not UCP. I always shake my head at the Airsoft tryhards gearing up in ACUs. Congratulations on being the most visible thing outside of a gravel pit or grandma's couch! Less funny when it was given to actual Soldiers who got actual shot-at.

To be fair MultiCam is what is currently issued to troops deploying in theater, and UCP is being relegated to garrison wear. If I go play in the high desert in the eastern part of the state, UCP actually becomes "effective."

Hellbeard posted:

The newest ANVIS stuff with the latest image intensifier tubes go for $10k. Older gen stuff (especially the stuff with the more fragile plastic housing instead of the aircraft-grade aluminum) can be found for ~$5-$6k. You could find stuff for cheaper on eBay if you dig around.
Fun story: I bought a set of ANVIS-9's off an eBay seller for $5000 in May. A couple months latter Army CID (Criminal Investigation Division) comes knocking at my door, telling me that they need their stolen government property back. Apparently the seller stole them from inventory & sold them to me. Worst part is that the government shutdown kept CID from working in a timely manner, so by the time they took their property back it was well past eBay's 45 day buyer protection fee. TL;DR: buy this high-end stuff from reputable dealers like TNVC or The Kit FOB to cover your rear end.

Content: I was starting to nod off at work (morning gym & biking to work can make one exhausted) so I picked up a 5-Hour Energy.

The camo color is because it was the only flavor available at the moment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster - Sunburst

I had a 15% off coupon for Guitar Center and I've been wanting to get my own electric guitar for a while anyway. For the last like 2 years, I've been borrowing my cousin's old modified Fender Strat that he doesn't use anymore, and it's been really helpful to have something, but I didn't pick it out and it's not really my favorite to play. I've got several pedals that I've been using with that Strat, my Stratacoustic acoustic/electric and my synths, so it'll be cool to see how they sound on some new wood :v:

I had it shipped to the store so I guess I'll be picking it up there sometime next week.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Raikiri posted:

How is it? I just picked up an Antec SP1 super cheap and I'm pretty pleased with it.

It competes with the Bose SLM in that price range but I prefer the sound of the Klipsch. These things are awesome. No such speakers existed until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

The newest ANVIS stuff with the latest image intensifier tubes go for $10k. Older gen stuff (especially the stuff with the more fragile plastic housing instead of the aircraft-grade aluminum) can be found for ~$5-$6k. You could find stuff for cheaper on eBay if you dig around.
Fun story: I bought a set of ANVIS-9's off an eBay seller for $5000 in May. A couple months latter Army CID (Criminal Investigation Division) comes knocking at my door, telling me that they need their stolen government property back. Apparently the seller stole them from inventory & sold them to me. Worst part is that the government shutdown kept CID from working in a timely manner, so by the time they took their property back it was well past eBay's 45 day buyer protection fee. TL;DR: buy this high-end stuff from reputable dealers like TNVC or The Kit FOB to cover your rear end.

Well, that's something like two shmillion times expensiver than what I can afford on NVG's for LARPing. Can you recommend something on the ultra-cheap side?

• Locked thread