Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

In this kind of vein, can anyone recommend any JRPGs that are fun to play precisely because the encounter rate isn't obnoxiously high?

Well, there are games with ways to completely control random encounters. Valkyrie Profile lets you freeze enemies solid instead of fighting them (and the enemies appear on the map) and Bravely Default lets you flat-out adjust the encounter rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

In this kind of vein, can anyone recommend any JRPGs that are fun to play precisely because the encounter rate isn't obnoxiously high?
Anything with enemies visible on the overworld. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are the two that spring to mind first, then Mother 3. Wild ARMs 2 and later are also contenders on this list since you can opt to cancel encounters--the way it works is you can evade most of them by pressing a button unless you're ambushed, but it takes points from your escape bar if you aren't substantially stronger than the enemies (or, in some of the games, it's based on how many of a specific key item you have that reduces your escape price) and you can replenish it by accepting encounters. Not a bad way to deal with a random encounter system, but it wasn't introduced until the second game in the series.

Stay far away from the Tales series, which has such a horrible encounter rate that in some of the games, you can't even take two steps without running into a monster, and that's with the item that reduces encounter rates. Star Ocean is also a major offender here.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Radiant Historia has a nice little feature you get about a quarter of the way into the game that lets you turn invisible so you can just walk past enemies.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The White Dragon posted:

Anything with enemies visible on the overworld.

[...]

Stay far away from the Tales series, which has such a horrible encounter rate that in some of the games, you can't even take two steps without running into a monster,

Uh, Tales games have had visible overworld enemies for years and years now. Every English released game since Symphonia has exactly that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Uh, Tales games have had visible overworld enemies for years and years now. Every English released game since Symphonia has exactly that.
I guess it's been a while since I played Vesperia, but I seem to recall that being kind of... overpopulated, I guess? Phantasia definitely soured me, and Destiny 2 certainly did the series no favors in my eyes. I feel like it had the same problem as SO3 where enemies had aggro zones and they were frequently placed in really inconvenient areas where it was hard to evade them or it would be quicker to just kill them than sneak by.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really easy to avoid enemies in modern Tales games, to the point you sometimes have to go out of your way to fight them. I actually got a little annoyed in Xillia where I had to sidetrack to fight enemies from time to time because it was otherwise too easy to run past 'em. It's also incredibly easy to spam Holy Bottles. (And again, this is a case where they can be too excessive. Xillia + Leia's Make Items Last Longer thing made a single Holy Bottle last an entire dungeon if you wanted.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I had no problems with Vesperia and avoiding enemies. There were maybe one-two encounters a screen, and due to the way chain battles worked you could mob up a bunch of enemies and take them all out in like a minute flat.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Paperhouse posted:

I wouldn't say that the encounter rate is specifically what makes these fun, but in both Final Fantasy VIII and the upcoming Bravely Default there are ways to decrease or eliminate random encounters when you don't want them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm enjoying Vanguard Bandits off the PSN. The first few battles are too drat slow due to all the computer controlled party members, and I wish my characters weren't in mechs, but it's over all a nice Shining Force substitute.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wendell posted:

I'm enjoying Vanguard Bandits off the PSN. The first few battles are too drat slow due to all the computer controlled party members, and I wish my characters weren't in mechs, but it's over all a nice Shining Force substitute.

It becomes a lot less interesting when you realize that the game is pretty telegraphed.

The strategy guide from Working Designs would tell you what exact position to put your party members into, to make the AI respond in certain ways. And I remember absolutely no deviation from the strategies it recommended.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

It becomes a lot less interesting when you realize that the game is pretty telegraphed.

The strategy guide from Working Designs would tell you what exact position to put your party members into, to make the AI respond in certain ways. And I remember absolutely no deviation from the strategies it recommended.
So, a bit like Advance Wars?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The AI randomizes a little bit but there are a lot of ways to exploit it. You can win with pretty much any party setup but you can get a lot of really samey and one-sided fights once you learn how to abuse certain wind attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

You're wrong about that actually. The Working Designs guide would step-by-step tell you what to do in the first levels but even then it was subject to randomization (and the guide warns you to save), but the step-by-step guide was to get Bastion to Level 7. (To access the Empire route.) The chapters after that had no step-by-step instructions.

There's a fair amount of variation and choice to what you can do, although some tactics are more viable than others. It's not a hard game by any means by you can totally approach it however you want.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You're wrong about that actually. The Working Designs guide would step-by-step tell you what to do in the first levels but even then it was subject to randomization (and the guide warns you to save), but the step-by-step guide was to get Bastion to Level 7. (To access the Empire route.) The chapters after that had no step-by-step instructions.

So it's still entirely possible to get that one-to-one with their guide on a first try? Because literally the only thing I remember about Vanguard Bandits is that I was able to replicate their results perfectly and thought it was rather boring because of it.

Was the Empire route really easy after you pass that part in the guide or something?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Phantasium posted:

So it's still entirely possible to get that one-to-one with their guide on a first try? Because literally the only thing I remember about Vanguard Bandits is that I was able to replicate their results perfectly and thought it was rather boring because of it.

Was the Empire route really easy after you pass that part in the guide or something?

The Empire route can't be activated at all unless you're high enough level at a certain decision point, and getting that high that fast requires some effort. Since a lot of the fights in the early parts of the game have NPC help, there's relatively less for you to do personally.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Prism posted:

The Empire route can't be activated at all unless you're high enough level at a certain decision point, and getting that high that fast requires some effort. Since a lot of the fights in the early parts of the game have NPC help, there's relatively less for you to do personally.

I was more talking about the chapters after that decision point, but if you have to sorta overlevel to get there it makes more sense why I forgot that bit.

Well, forget I said anything. More games with robots can't be a bad thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, I bought the guide long after I finished the game and I was able to access it fairly easily. It basically just involves feeding kills to Bastion more than anything. You don't have to follow step-by-step instructions to get it, they just clarified the easiest ways to get Bastion EXP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing about Vanguard Bandits is that it's possible to lock yourself in to a lovely ending with no way of reversing it. I'm not sure how terrible at the game you have to be to have that happen, but I managed it on my first go.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The worst thing about Vanguard Bandits is that it's possible to lock yourself in to a lovely ending with no way of reversing it. I'm not sure how terrible at the game you have to be to have that happen, but I managed it on my first go.

:smith::hf::smith:

Same here, same here. I had no idea the faces in the interview menu actually meant anything, I thought they were just fluff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

You don't have to be terrible at it at all.

The thing is that it's based on the average of your party Morale and so if you just talk to your favorite characters after every fight it's very easy to get shoehorned into it even if you never lose a guy since talking raises morale.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You don't have to be terrible at it at all.

The thing is that it's based on the average of your party Morale and so if you just talk to your favorite characters after every fight it's very easy to get shoehorned into it even if you never lose a guy since talking raises morale.

There's also the fact that, while obviously you would want to keep morale high (why wouldn't you) the mechanics behind it aren't really made clear. And the first way the player learns how to raise morale (interviewing party members) can be wasted by interviewing people who will leave your party. I think someone implies about three missions before the end of the 'canon' branch that 'oh hey morale is about to be very important.'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

The strategy guide only did that for the first three missions so you could maximize your EXP gains on Bastion since the Empire Path requires him to have reached a minimum level by the end of the third stage.

It's really a fun game, though. Just don't read too much into the text otherwise you'll get cynical about it like the guy who did the LP.

Phantasium posted:

The thing is, it has some really weird reaction situations going on. Specifically, the second stage won't play out the way the strategy guide tells you unless you move Ione and Reyna into stupidly specific locations. It's an easy game, but not that easy.

ImpAtom posted:

Not to mention that Devlin can gently caress you because your party's morale is calculated at the end of each stage--as far as I'm aware--based on their mood when the final enemy is defeated. Most of the characters get happier the more enemies they deal the final blow to, which means good things for your morale. Devlin gets volcanically furious if he gets too many kills, meaning his morale tanks.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 27, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And that's pretty bad because Devlin is one of your better dudes for most of the game. Burning Soul :allears:

The biggest pain in the rear end of the game is that if you don't remember to load stats in the options menu before you load an in battle save you'll lose your branch completion and get locked out of the Ruin branch, which requires you to beat all the others.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

The biggest pain in the rear end of the game is that if you don't remember to load stats in the options menu before you load an in battle save you'll lose your branch completion and get locked out of the Ruin branch, which requires you to beat all the others.

Well not all the others, you just gotta get to the end once. I'm pretty sure you can even do Ruin if you got the bad ending. But yeah the "load stats" thing is a pain in the rear end.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah, thought you needed a Kingdom win and an Empire one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Devlin is just the biggest pain in the rear end in the game in general. But Burning Soul makes up for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Best encounter rate: The World Ends With You. Only required fights are story battles, everything other battle is up to you to do whenever you want, and you can chain a bunch of battles back-to-back for bonuses.

gently caress that game was really good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Only thing TWEWY didn't have that it really needed was being able to see equipped clothes on your character. It would have been hilarious to see some of the awful outfits you put together when you disregard brands.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 27, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm playing Shadow Hearts II, and it sure seems like they want you to go a long time without being able to fully heal your party (outside of spells/items). The best I've been able to is heal with spells and buy up crap from that one item shop afterwards. Just kind of makes me anxious not having an inn or whatever to fall back on.

E: Whoops, I can buy tents :downs: Close enough.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 31, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
What is the "definitive" version of Breath of Fire 2? I haven't played it in ages and I know a translation patch exists for at least the SNES version. Its only the GBA and SNES versions, right?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Levantine posted:

What is the "definitive" version of Breath of Fire 2? I haven't played it in ages and I know a translation patch exists for at least the SNES version. Its only the GBA and SNES versions, right?

Yeah, and they both play basically the same. I'd recommend using the SNES version with Ryusui's retranslation patch, because BoF2's official translation honestly verges on incomprehensible in places.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, and they both play basically the same. I'd recommend using the SNES version with Ryusui's retranslation patch, because BoF2's official translation honestly verges on incomprehensible in places.

Personally I'd suggest the GBA version with a translation patch; I assume there is one. The GBA version really upped the gold and experience from enemies, meaning you'd be grinding a lot less between bosses.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Geomancing posted:

Personally I'd suggest the GBA version with a translation patch; I assume there is one. The GBA version really upped the gold and experience from enemies, meaning you'd be grinding a lot less between bosses.

Is there a patch that restores the sound from the SNES? That's the only thing that puts me off GBA releases.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I guess it's been a while since I played Vesperia, but I seem to recall that being kind of... overpopulated, I guess? Phantasia definitely soured me, and Destiny 2 certainly did the series no favors in my eyes. I feel like it had the same problem as SO3 where enemies had aggro zones and they were frequently placed in really inconvenient areas where it was hard to evade them or it would be quicker to just kill them than sneak by.

Yeah. Xenosaga did the whole "no random encounters, buuuuut we're gonna place an enemy here you can't sneak by, and when you escape battle your model isn't allowed to run through the enemy so sometimes you're kind of SOL"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Geomancing posted:

That's a really weird assumption to make considering how much work went into the SNES retranslation, or goes into any fan translation.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey what should I know/do if I start playing Ultima 7? I've never really given it a sincere try but after spending a week with Wizardry 7 I'm feeling the DOS-era RPG groove.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

That's a really weird assumption to make considering how much work went into the SNES retranslation, or goes into any fan translation.
Not to mention even if you just copy/pasted the text from the SNES retranslation, you'd still have to hack it into the game. Which is honestly probably harder than actually translating something, depending on the game - there are a lot of games out there that just flat-out hate the idea of having their code messed around with.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The reason BoF2 was so hard to retranslate wasn't the retranslation itself (which Ryusui did a great job with) but with getting it into the game. There was no progress on that for a long time until that one German fan-translator released his thing, which Ryusui then hacked around with himself to get his own translation in.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Levantine posted:

Is there a patch that restores the sound from the SNES? That's the only thing that puts me off GBA releases.

no. there is one that restores the original palette, and another one that makes some pretty cool-sounding gameplay modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you're using a translation patch you're playing it on an emulator anyways so you might as well go with the SNES version. It's not tedious at all when you have frame skip!