Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Some people have bad taste in pew-pew spacemans stories. See: People who defend Vulkan Lives!

I'm re-reading the Night Lords series by ADB. My god, is he such a good writer. The inherent tragedy and hopelessness of their situation underlays every paragraph. The meeting between Talos and Abaddon reads like a mouse projecting his frustrations and relative powerlessness onto a particularly indulgent cat. Everything Malcharion does is awesome. The humor is wonderfully dark. 'Brothers! Everyone in this room is going to die!' shouldn't be so funny but I had to stop reading to stop laughing there.

Septimus and Octavia are great characters, and their interactions and growing intimacy feels natural and adds an all-too-human element to the grandiose tragedy of First Claw. Talos himself straddles the fine line between monster and hero - absolutely monstrous in his treatment of those who aren't of his warband, almost fatherly to everyone who is. It's gorey as hell, but the mutilations might not seem so horrific on your first read-through since they are so well written.

And yet the series avoids descending into navel-gazing melancholy. The opening of Blood Reaver has Talos contemplate his broken helm as a metaphor for his broken legion - and then immediately reject the metaphor as too self-indulgent and simplistic.

If you haven't read the Night Lords series, you need to. Starting with 'Lord of the Night' isn't a bad choice, even if technically it's not the correct starting point.

Has the Black Library released a Night Lords Omnibus? Because if they haven't, they need to. The two short stories and 'Throne of Lies' need to be included as well. If you're looking for a good audio drama, Throne of Lies is really excellent, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mr Teatime posted:

That sword thing was something that finally managed to make me sperg out about 40k. It doesn't even make any sense! The mournival/mourn-it-all thing is a really badly forced pun but it only even makes sense in present day english. In imperial gothic or cthonic or whatever the heck they speak it wouldn't even work. What have I become?
It's a reference to Stormbringer for the fantasy readers and a subtle shot at Michael Moorcock post telling him to gently caress off.

DirtyRobot posted:

The logic here works for every pun that is ever made on shows with alien languages and some sort of universal translator or Tardis or something.

I wish a show one of these days would have a character make a pun and the alien character is like "I don't get it" :geno: because the pun obviously wouldn't work in their language (that, or the universal translator explodes in their ear, trying to compute the pun).
One time I watched South Park in Germany with my then girlfiend and her parents. They didn't translate Token's name, and it took quite a lot of work with the dictionary to explain why his name was actually a joke. They still didn't find it funny.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

DirtyRobot posted:

I wish a show one of these days would have a character make a pun and the alien character is like "I don't get it" :geno: because the pun obviously wouldn't work in their language (that, or the universal translator explodes in their ear, trying to compute the pun).

All the made up "curse words" from Farscape are the show's translator nanomachines failing to properly express the assorted curse words and phrases of the alien species. The best part is that the one, English speaking, human character eventually starts using these words even though they mean nothing to the aliens listening to him.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Dunno where you heard its terrible. Arguably the best Heresy book and perhaps even the best 40k book IMHO. The prose is great and the story is one of the most interesting ones out of all the heresy books.

It's not just 500 pages of how we killed these dudes and why like most HH books.

Are you not mistaking it for some other book?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

All the made up "curse words" from Farscape are the show's translator nanomachines failing to properly express the assorted curse words and phrases of the alien species. The best part is that the one, English speaking, human character eventually starts using these words even though they mean nothing to the aliens listening to him.

Farscape is amazing in how the resourceful but clueless and well in intentioned John Crichton gradually turns into...

John Crichton :black101:

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 30, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VanSandman posted:

Has the Black Library released a Night Lords Omnibus? Because if they haven't, they need to. The two short stories and 'Throne of Lies' need to be included as well. If you're looking for a good audio drama, Throne of Lies is really excellent, by the way.

I thought an omnibus was planned. I keep trying to give my money to GW for a print copy of Night Lords, but they don't seem to want to take it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nephilm posted:

Farscape is amazing in how the resourceful but clueless and well in intentioned John Crichton gradually turns into...

John Crichton :black101:

Farscape is amazing for how it used Chrichton. Here is a link about how his being driven insane was a core part of the series, but unfortunately I can't find the one that details how he really snaps midway through season 1, and the rest of it is the crew realizing he is crazy and capitalizing on it by using that to throw off their pursuers and confound their enemies - they point Jon in a direction, give him a nudge, and watch as he does poo poo like show up to a peace conference with a thermonuclear bomb strapped to his chest.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Some people have bad taste in pew-pew spacemans stories. See: People who defend Vulkan Lives!

I'm re-reading the Night Lords series by ADB. My god, is he such a good writer. The inherent tragedy and hopelessness of their situation underlays every paragraph. The meeting between Talos and Abaddon reads like a mouse projecting his frustrations and relative powerlessness onto a particularly indulgent cat. Everything Malcharion does is awesome. The humor is wonderfully dark. 'Brothers! Everyone in this room is going to die!' shouldn't be so funny but I had to stop reading to stop laughing there.

Septimus and Octavia are great characters, and their interactions and growing intimacy feels natural and adds an all-too-human element to the grandiose tragedy of First Claw. Talos himself straddles the fine line between monster and hero - absolutely monstrous in his treatment of those who aren't of his warband, almost fatherly to everyone who is. It's gorey as hell, but the mutilations might not seem so horrific on your first read-through since they are so well written.

And yet the series avoids descending into navel-gazing melancholy. The opening of Blood Reaver has Talos contemplate his broken helm as a metaphor for his broken legion - and then immediately reject the metaphor as too self-indulgent and simplistic.

If you haven't read the Night Lords series, you need to. Starting with 'Lord of the Night' isn't a bad choice, even if technically it's not the correct starting point.

The introduction to Malcharion where he's just thinkin about being a human nugget in some fluid inside this gigantic machine is beautiful. Especially when his stumps move when he tries to move himself.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Some people have bad different taste in pew-pew spacemans stories. See: People who defend Vulkan Lives!
I fixed that for you. You guys all suffer from Kyme-itis and automatically hate anything he does. Personally, I never read the Salamander series, so I didn't have that knee-jerk reaction to Vulkan Lives.

Is it great? No. Does it advance the HH story? Not really. Is it mediocre? Yes. Can you skip it without missing anything important? Yes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

I know a guy who told me he was having trouble getting through Eisenhorn because of the first person perspective. He really liked the Outcast Dead though. :negative:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The less you know about WH40k the easier it is to enjoy the bad books.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
No, it only excuses the reader from continuity and fluff mistakes, not bad writing.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Whoah what is it like having such terrible opinions because FotE is dull as hell.

I may have bad taste, but it's my bad taste and that's what makes my opinion inherently superior to yours.

Just joking. I need to go reread that. I remember it being great, but my memory is bad.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So long as we can agree that reading a few hundred pages about Titans in Titanicus is totally awesome is really all that matters. Everything else is just background noise.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Addressing the thing from last page about Space Marine being set in an alternate universe;
As far as I'm aware, that's a requirement from GW, presumably so that they don't have to worry about a game developer loving their precious universe up.
I know I heard it in relation to one of the MMOs, either Eternal Crusade or the scrapped Dark Millennium Online, so I assume it applied to Space Marine as well. It's a fairly new restriction though, I don't think any of the Dawn of War games had it.
Then again Captain Titus references the Dawn of War 2 campagin, so who the gently caress knows.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So long as we can agree that reading a few hundred pages about Titans in Titanicus is totally awesome is really all that matters. Everything else is just background noise.
Personally I was kind of disappointed in Titanicus.
Don't get me wrong, it's still a great book, but I felt that there weren't enough of the Titans and their crews in it; a bit too much faffing about with a bunch of different characters for me.
I read Titanicus after reading Mechanicum, Priests of Mars, and Lords of Mars; all of which feature Titans.
To me it felt like Titanicus barely had more Titan stuff than those three, and I guess I expected more from a book with "Titan" in the title.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I may have bad taste, but it's my bad taste and that's what makes my opinion inherently superior to yours.

Just joking. I need to go reread that. I remember it being great, but my memory is bad.

Honestly, I thought you were about to be declared a heretic by the rest of the community.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Uroboros posted:

Honestly, I thought you were about to be declared a heretic by the rest of the community.

I would rather not be hunted down by the Goon Inquisition.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I would rather not be hunted down by the Goon Inquisition.

They will be easy to outrun at least

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

They will be easy to outrun at least

I don't know, those Goon Inquisition guys are usually psykers, too. Maybe they can cast temporary anti-fat spells.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Groetgaffel posted:

Addressing the thing from last page about Space Marine being set in an alternate universe;
As far as I'm aware, that's a requirement from GW, presumably so that they don't have to worry about a game developer loving their precious universe up.
I know I heard it in relation to one of the MMOs, either Eternal Crusade or the scrapped Dark Millennium Online, so I assume it applied to Space Marine as well. It's a fairly new restriction though, I don't think any of the Dawn of War games had it.
Then again Captain Titus references the Dawn of War 2 campagin, so who the gently caress knows.

I just assume that the events happened unless they're directly contradicted in the fluff. The plot is pretty much just Ultramarines fight Orkz on a Forge World so it's not like it was a particularly unusual event.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Groetgaffel posted:

They could easily fold it into the universe pretty easily. Say the events of the game took place in the 37 Millennium and after Titus is taken by the Inquisitors and the Black Templars he is given a choice. Life imprisoned by the Ordos till they find out why he is so warp resilient (seems weird in a world where Blanks exist that this is an issue) or his name and record is stricken from legion records and he is forever enlisted in the Deathwatch.

If GW was really worried about the game story fitting in they could give the developer a strict outline to follow and they have to sign off on the story. Or they could put DA or ADB in charge of the script (or at least have them edit or do the rewrite).

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I finished Sabbat Worlds after reading Salvation's Reach, first. I'm a little sad that's all the Gaunt 'n' Pals I'll get until the next book comes out.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

EyeRChris posted:

They could easily fold it into the universe pretty easily. Say the events of the game took place in the 37 Millennium and after Titus is taken by the Inquisitors and the Black Templars he is given a choice. Life imprisoned by the Ordos till they find out why he is so warp resilient (seems weird in a world where Blanks exist that this is an issue) or his name and record is stricken from legion records and he is forever enlisted in the Deathwatch.

If GW was really worried about the game story fitting in they could give the developer a strict outline to follow and they have to sign off on the story. Or they could put DA or ADB in charge of the script (or at least have them edit or do the rewrite).

Why are we even discussing this, they are never making a Space Marine 2 game.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canceled-Warhammer-Space-Marine-2-and-3-Get-Detailed-by-Game-Director-393106.shtml

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Eh, GW whores the IP to anyone these days.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Well the planned story arc sounds really dumb anyway.
Titus going "gently caress you guys, I'm going to start my own chapter, and it's going to be super awesome!" ?
Yeah that's dumb.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Groetgaffel posted:

Well the planned story arc sounds really dumb anyway.
Titus going "gently caress you guys, I'm going to start my own chapter, and it's going to be super awesome!" ?
Yeah that's dumb.

Nah, it's pretty cool, because Titus was pretty cool. :v:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

VanSandman posted:

Nah, it's pretty cool, because Titus was pretty cool. :v:

Honestly, my sperg issue was that the Space Marines seemed undersized. Basically they just looked like normal dudes in power armor. You can tell they pretty much went off the table top models size ratios, but the drat Inquisitor is near standing head height with Titus. Basically, I imagine a Space Marines hand when gloved in power armor would easily envelope a human head.

The game itself...it was meh, gets really repetitive. I will say they nailed down the music and the overall action style, but it has the feel of a game to rushed. You can tell that not a lot of effort was put into the environments, and honestly using the bolter seemed pointless 99% of the time. When I unload a bolter into a pack of Orks I expect them to be reduced to little giblets, not requiring half a magazines to kill a single boy.

3/5...being generous, don't polish a turd people.

Also, gently caress Marines that don't wear helmets. You think the Codex Astartes might have something in there about how helmets are good at stopping bullets and such.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
This guy went a little crazy over his spacemans hobby:

http://blog.naver.com/shreneo/100204308978

I guess painting a full legion would drive you crazy but this is only about 1/10th of what you'd need.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Uroboros posted:

Honestly, my sperg issue was that the Space Marines seemed undersized. Basically they just looked like normal dudes in power armor. You can tell they pretty much went off the table top models size ratios, but the drat Inquisitor is near standing head height with Titus. Basically, I imagine a Space Marines hand when gloved in power armor would easily envelope a human head.
Did you notice the guardsmen? Space Marines aren't supposed to be THAT huge. They've gone up in size a few inches every time someone tries to justify the scale, especially since Dan Abnett decided that most of the IG characters are "well over two meters" which is kind of huge.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Shadowhand00 posted:

I guess painting a full legion would drive you crazy but this is only about 1/10th of what you'd need.

Goddamn, and it's not hurried work, either! Each one is beautifully done. Be proud dude, for your obsession has produced something neat.

Arquinsiel posted:

especially since Dan Abnett decided that most of the IG characters are "well over two meters" which is kind of huge.

Space meters

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Uroboros posted:

The game itself...it was meh, gets really repetitive. I will say they nailed down the music and the overall action style, but it has the feel of a game to rushed. You can tell that not a lot of effort was put into the environments, and honestly using the bolter seemed pointless 99% of the time. When I unload a bolter into a pack of Orks I expect them to be reduced to little giblets, not requiring half a magazines to kill a single boy.

Also, gently caress Marines that don't wear helmets. You think the Codex Astartes might have something in there about how helmets are good at stopping bullets and such.

Eh, if you walked by that LT Mira or any random IG jack off running around, you were easily head and shoulders taller than them. Much wider too.

I can remember a lot of marines preferring to go helm-less because they like to take in all the sensory inputs of a battlefield sans filters. I dunno, the lore supports it.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I saw this on Reddit today too. I wonder how the gently caress he afforded this many models. The guy didn't look to be out of his 20s, so it's not like it's the lifes work of some 45 year old basement dwelling 40K autist.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 31, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

One Legged Cat posted:

Goddamn, and it's not hurried work, either! Each one is beautifully done. Be proud dude, for your obsession has produced something neat.
Actually what I really like about that collection is that some of them are clearly "I got the colour on flat, go me!" and then others LOOK like that, but then you notice the incredibly subtle gradients and just go :aaaaa:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Don't the helmets mess with Space Wolf special senses or something? Hell, if nothing else, the reason to take the helmet off is to look cool and that should be enough.

(I think the Deathwatch RPG actually gives you bonus Renown in certain types of missions if you lead a mission and have your helmet off.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I liked the bolter in that game. 1 headshot or like 3-4 bodyshots killed an average ork which seems about right to me (for a game), especially since the actual humans in the game had half the health of a normal ork, died to like 1-2 shots, and could be squished without even stunning them first.

I also liked that you could gib gretchen just by punching them.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 31, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Aziraphale posted:

Eh, if you walked by that LT Mira or any random IG jack off running around, you were easily head and shoulders taller than them. Much wider too.

I can remember a lot of marines preferring to go helm-less because they like to take in all the sensory inputs of a battlefield sans filters. I dunno, the lore supports it.

I saw this on Reddit today too. I wonder how the gently caress he afforded this many models. The guy didn't look to be out of his 20s, so it's not like it's the lifes work of some 45 year old basement dwelling 40K autist.

I think the little kid who's giving the peace sign is his son. He mentions that he takes his son to gaming activities. He's also talking about his second son coming soon. I guess its also been 7 years since he's started this part of his hobby - prior to this, he was doing regular military models

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Aziraphale posted:

It's not like each army is huge or anything - they're all reasonably-sized 40K armies. As for cost and time, for all we know, the guy is head of GW Korea or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cream_Filling posted:

I liked the bolter in that game. 1 headshot or like 3-4 bodyshots killed an average ork which seems about right to me (for a game), especially since the actual humans in the game had half the health of a normal ork, died to like 1-2 shots, and could be squished without even stunning them first.

I also liked that you could gib gretchen just by punching them.

Grots also die if you sprint or roll into them.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Uroboros posted:

The "no-helmet" tradition that the Ultramarines use more than any other chapter is reserved for anyone above Sergeant, so they got that part of the lore terribly wrong too, provided everyone other than Titus was below Sergeant - I think there was at least one regular battle-brother.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If memory serves, there were only two other Marines that didn't wear helmets in that game. Sidonus never had his helmet in the first place and Leandros is a loving twit anyway. Besides which they had to remove it specifically because he was a prominent character - it's very difficult to relate to a metal faceplate.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

PantsOptional posted:

If memory serves, there were only two other Marines that didn't wear helmets in that game. Sidonus never had his helmet in the first place and Leandros is a loving twit anyway. Besides which they had to remove it specifically because he was a prominent character - it's very difficult to relate to a metal faceplate.

Leandros' helmet was hosed up in the initial fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I don't think it's necessary to relate to a game focused on combat with a posthuman giant spaceman in a mid-budget game with the plot of an 80's B movie.

This probably is hardly English but I got my point across - hopefully - and I'm too tired to attempt to correct it.