Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Probably a full discount coupon to whoever will handle shipping, and then you have to pay for shipping. It's not a bad idea for an independent author to farm that part of the fulfilment out.

We had this discussion about Iron Edda a few weeks ago: as someone who has a POD product on rpgnow/dtrpg, there was no way last time I checked to order a print copy for less than the printing cost + shipping, so that's the cheapest he could give a coupon for as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InShaneee posted:

The wording on his backer levels is a bit unclear, but if I'm reading this right, the Paper Books level (the first level offering the physical book) just gives you a coupon to buy the book at an unspecified price/discount? That seems awfully strange if that's the case.

This is the new way that US indies are going to be doing print books from now on, pretty much. You can thank the USPS price rises.

Basically, you pledge an amount to the KS which is equal to the RRP of the book minus an anticipated print cost if you'd bought it PoD via DTRPG. You then get a coupon that discounts the book RRP on DTRPG by everything except the print cost, and have to pay shipping yourself. Since DTRPG have facilities in both the US and UK and ship commercially, it works out cheaper for everyone involved than if the designer shipped books himself from the US and included the shipping in the KS pledge. It also means the designer doesn't have to handle the vagaries of international shipping themselves (no having to pack and send a thousand books, no risk that USPS will push through another random price hike in six months that will leave you out of pocket $5 per copy, etc.).

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
Just a little update on Whispering Road. It's nearly at 6k and work has begun on the artwork and on the layout. Stretch Goals have also been added.

Achieved-$4,000: Play sample ACHIEVED. I'll include a sample of game play in the rule book. You'll get to read about three players trying out The Whispering Road and working their way through the rules. This will add a few pages to the rule book, but will only increase cost by about 50 cents per copy, so I can definitely handle it.

Achieved-$5,000: 4 sample heroes ACHIEVED. I'll include a page that stats out 4 different heroes, accompanied by a full-page, full-color drawing of all of those characters. This will also be included as an extra page in the rule book. This will also increase cost slightly, but at a reasonable amount.

$6,000: Quick Start Guide. I'll produce a separate PDF that introduces the game, summarizes the rules, and includes the play sample (which might be edited down). You can hand this to anyone to give them a solid understanding of the game and how it plays.

$7,000: Sample Fantasy Worlds. I'll produce a separate PDF that describes a handful of fantasy settings that you can use as inspiration for the game. I'll seek out other artists to draw art for this, so I don't overload poor Kaitlynn, but I may not be able to get art for this one. Again, don't want to promise too much! Either way, this will be delivered in June of 2014.

$7,500: Archetype Cards and Trait Cards. I'll produce a separate PDF that contains print-and-use poker-sized cards for each Archetype and each Trait, with custom art for each card by Kaitlynn Peavler. That's 34 unique pieces of art. This will be delivered in June of 2014. I'll also offer the cards as a purchasable deck on DriveThruCards (or a similar site) by the end of 2014.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentnewhall/the-whispering-road-a-miyazaki-inspired-tabletop-r

Thedandmom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

You might want to include a link to the actual Kickstarter in your posts. I managed on my own :-)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

InShaneee posted:

The wording on his backer levels is a bit unclear, but if I'm reading this right, the Paper Books level (the first level offering the physical book) just gives you a coupon to buy the book at an unspecified price/discount? That seems awfully strange if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure coupons or vouchers are not allowed as backer rewards on Kickstarter, regardless of how much it may or may not make sense in this case.

Then again 3D renders in lieu of actual product/prototype photos is also forbidden but Pandante appeared to get away with it :v:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm pretty sure coupons or vouchers are not allowed as backer rewards on Kickstarter, regardless of how much it may or may not make sense in this case.

Then again 3D renders in lieu of actual product/prototype photos is also forbidden but Pandante appeared to get away with it :v:
I don't see anything like that in the Kickstarter guidelines, but I'd definitely like a clear answer one way or the other.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I don't see anything like that in the Kickstarter guidelines, but I'd definitely like a clear answer one way or the other.

quote:

No contests, raffles, coupons, gambling, or lifetime memberships.

I don't think that's the intent, though. They don't want you offering coupons for other things as a bonus or coupon books, or anything like LivingSocial poo poo.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Accursed did that for their Kickstarter (provided coupons for DriveThruRPG printing) and I didn't hear any complaints from the backers or from Kickstarter. v:shobon:v

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Kickstarter is notoriously spotty on enforcing their rules and regulations anyway. So there's really no way of telling, short of reporting the project and waiting for a response back from their support team, if the coupons are "allowed" or not.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"No coupons" as in you can't sell (via backer rewards) coupons for other products makes a lot more sense.

It also makes sense from the "We're not a store" :notfunny: angle.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

"No coupons" as in you can't sell (via backer rewards) coupons for other products makes a lot more sense.

It also makes sense from the "We're not a store" :notfunny: angle.

Yeah, it's probably more "You can't make people pledge and then only give them a 50% off coupon for your product."

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

3D renders are forbidden for Hardware and Product Design projects. See here.

This may change someday, since the logic is

quote:

Do the new guidelines apply beyond Hardware and Product Design projects that are developing new products?

No. The new guidelines only apply to Hardware and Product Design projects that are developing new products. These guidelines do not apply to Design projects like the LowLine and +Pool or Hardware projects like Stompy: The Giant Rideable Walking Robot. Why? They aren’t developing new products that backers are expecting in their mailboxes.

So you'd think miniatures and games should be included. But they probably haven't thought that through yet.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

Gau posted:

You might want to include a link to the actual Kickstarter in your posts. I managed on my own :-)

Oh thanks, thought I had. Fixed!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm still waiting on Up Front!, Alas Vegas, Hillfolk (Physical), Last Stand (Physical), Nightfall, Interface Zero (Physical), Tears of a Machine, Corporia, Inverse World(Physical), Bones II, Tianxia (Physical), Call of Catthulhu, Three Days Till Retirement (Physical)... and comedy option -- Cairn!

Last Stand! :toot:

Thanks Mikan!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
It's a little bit different but I just backed Cyberpunk Soundtracks.

The idea of the project is to create a bunch of ~cyberpunk~ songs, ambient soundscapes and sound effects that can be used as background atmosphere while playing your favourite cyberpunk RPG. There's two different pledge levels: $30 gets you three hours of soundtrack and $50 gets you 7 hours of soundtrack. There's also stretch goals to add more music and a ton of demos you can listen to from the artist's soundcloud page.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Inverse World backers, surveys just went out. And you know what that means.

It means we're almost ready to ship the book out! Almost!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Response submitted. Looking forward to my messy copy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

^^I put my survey response in as well

NTRabbit posted:

Palladium's updates are nothing but lies, obfuscation and blame shifting - so far blaming the sculptor Ninja Division, Harmony Gold, and the workers of China for sabotaging them with this new years nonsense - and as it stands there's not a remote chance of getting anything before June, 6 months past the original delivery date, and that's if everything goes perfectly from today onwards. Which it won't.

Press release today posted:

Palladium Books has announced a new release date for Robotech RPG Tactics, plus additional information about the first releases for the game. The main box game and the first six expansion packs are now expected to ship in June, with "unbridled enthusiasm and lack of experience" blamed for the previously announced release date(s). The game was originally announced as a Fall 2013 release, but was pushed back to February 2014 in November

Thanks, I'll see myself out :tipshat:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Inverse World backers, surveys just went out. And you know what that means.

It means we're almost ready to ship the book out! Almost!

Oh boy! I missed backing this, so I've been eagerly anticipating it coming out. Does that mean it'll be going up on DTRPG soon?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Survey Response sent!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Underground Lasers 2 kickstarter is open. I backed the first one and got some really cool stuff, this time he's after a second laser and the starting options include a train for the Infinity Paradiso campaign, and a series of 3x3x3 stuff specifically for Deadzone. Looks like the benefit of experience is going to keep this one a lot more tightly run than the first one.

SkyLander
Dec 27, 2007

My good friend from work got his game Mob Town published and they just put up the kickstarter for it. It is a fun map building game. I've playtested it with him so if you have any questions about it. It uses a lot of mechanics that people should be familiar with if they've played more recent games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw yeah Tac-Tiles are coming back! :dance:

quote:

Void Star Studios, Inc. has acquired the rights, processes, vendors and original mold for Tact-Tiles! And the original creators of the Tact-Tiles are working with us as advisors.

These aren't some cheap knock-offs. These are the real deal, tweaked to improve the manufacturing process to insure we can bring them to you at an affordable price.

Our intent is to make this new run of Tact-Tiles 100% compatible with the original Tact-Tiles from BC Products, and to insure these are of even better quality.

Tact-Tiles are highly portable, rigid, thick plastic, dry-erase, gaming tiles. No more erasing the mat and starting over when the PCs run off the edge! And no more fussing with a rolled up mat!
On the Tact-Tiles front; we're expecting material and ink samples for the Tact-Tiles within the next few weeks. We're still working through a few kinks, and we'll keep you posted as we progress.

Look for the Kickstarter for both the Savage Worlds edition of Nova Praxis, and Tact-Tiles, very soon!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Had my eye on Fire Team Zero for a while. It's a coop WWII badaases versus aliens / monsters game, a bit like Level 7 Omega Protocol. Looked interesting but the kickstarter launched today ...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/701653685/fireteam-zero

... and it's all slick and well-produced but:

* $80 for the game
* $125 for the pledge level that actually gets you any stretch rewards
* The stretch goals don't start until $450K has been raised
* I think almost everything in the video and pictures are renders

Ah well, I needed to slow down on the Kickstarter thing anyway.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Oh my yes. I just ran into these at a con recently and was sad to learn they didn't make them anymore.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

outlier posted:

Had my eye on Fire Team Zero for a while. It's a coop WWII badaases versus aliens / monsters game, a bit like Level 7 Omega Protocol. Looked interesting but the kickstarter launched today ...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/701653685/fireteam-zero

... and it's all slick and well-produced but:

* $80 for the game
* $125 for the pledge level that actually gets you any stretch rewards
* The stretch goals don't start until $450K has been raised
* I think almost everything in the video and pictures are renders

Ah well, I needed to slow down on the Kickstarter thing anyway.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that the stretch goals start past 450k - they actually start at 80k. Unfortunately, one of the things they're doing is gating stretch rewards by what tier you're going in at, so 460k is where people with the $130 level start getting left off the present list, and then a while after that you need to have dropped $330 or so to get the remaining rewards. I'd almost maybe be willing to put in $130 on strength of concept with enough rewards, but over $300 on a completely untried proposition? gently caress that noise.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If the game is half as needlessly complicated as the Kickstarter, it'll still be too hard to play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Double post but substance!

The latest Toughest Girls of the Galaxy update included this image:

Which more-or-less confirms totally-not Sisters of Battle in the near future. Given that GW has lost their drat minds this will very likely be cheaper than theirs, better produced, and with at least a nod toward human proportions.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy poo poo. I'm back in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

moths posted:

Double post but substance!

The latest Toughest Girls of the Galaxy update included this image:

What is Ragin' Shiboez?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A truly bad ambigram.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
re: Fireteam Zero

Yeah, I badly misunderstood where the stretch goals kicked in.

moths posted:

If the game is half as needlessly complicated as the Kickstarter, it'll still be too hard to play.

Oh, this. If it gets to the point where you need visual aids and charts to explain what people will be getting, your Kickstarter is probably too complicated and involves far too many bits and pieces.

They've rejigged the rewards, but the whole thing still looks too rich to me. For a "completely untried proposition" (new games studio, no previous projects), this has to be sold a lot better.

I see the map (or what might be the map) showing up in one picture, but it looks like some strangely abstract thing divided into irregular zones. Really need to see the rulebook for this.

On other skirmishy type games. Countdown: Special Ops is being launched as a kickstarter. Which is odd, because it was announced for Essen 2012 and didn't make it, then announced for Essen 2013 and _I thought_ it made it, but the game is being kickstarted anyway?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I was hoping "rejigged" meant "rethought having three separate tiers of stretch reward at increasingly astronomical cost" but apparently it just means they mixed them up so that the higher tier stretch rewards are mixed in throughout. Which definitely is better than making people backing at those tiers wait until 9x funding before they start to see any return on that investment, but is still a bad, bad value.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

malkav11 posted:

I was hoping "rejigged" meant "rethought having three separate tiers of stretch reward at increasingly astronomical cost" but apparently it just means they mixed them up so that the higher tier stretch rewards are mixed in throughout. Which definitely is better than making people backing at those tiers wait until 9x funding before they start to see any return on that investment, but is still a bad, bad value.

Since the tiers aren't limited, it could have been good if hitting the point where the next level of stretch goals started moved a bunch of people to the next level, but it could likewise have been bad if people start dropping out of the high tiers near the end so that stretch goals become relocked and more people drop down. I'm pretty sure something like that happened to Damage Report, which also had higher levels that originally weren't any different than lower levels until stretch goals were unlocked. They eventually ended up changing that- something along the lines of "if this reward isn't unlocked, you get this instead, and if this one isn't unlocked you still get it, just later than you get it if the goal is met."

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is my version of a nice kickstarter, but I'm new to KS sooo. The guy running it gives daily updates, answers questions and is upfront about the challenges or choices. I really hope it flows as smooth as it appears it will.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Ropes4u posted:

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is my version of a nice kickstarter, but I'm new to KS sooo. The guy running it gives daily updates, answers questions and is upfront about the challenges or choices. I really hope it flows as smooth as it appears it will.
I've appreciated that he solicits feedback from the backers, but is willing to ignore the "conventional wisdom" if he thinks the community is wrong. It makes me more confident in the project, that he isn't just desperately bowing to the whims of his backers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Goredema posted:

I've appreciated that he solicits feedback from the backers, but is willing to ignore the "conventional wisdom" if he thinks the community is wrong. It makes me more confident in the project, that he isn't just desperately bowing to the whims of his backers.
Yeah, ditto. It helps that I agree with the final decision on 1 vs. 2 cards - I mean, 1 card is a whole lot easier to track during setup - but even if I didn't, it's good to know he's thinking it through and making choices he thinks are the best for the project.

I'm getting unreasonably excited about Timewatch, fwiw. What a well-run project, so far.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

NIKA -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/nika-a-game-inspired-by-ancient-greek-geography-an

This board game is designed by a friend of mine, but it's one of the most fun ones I've played in a while even outside that fact. It's also notable that a few TG regulars helped playtest it last GenCon.

* It's a simple abstract team game where each team is trying to move one unit from their own starting area into their partner's.

* Each player on their turn can take two actions, which basically boil down to either turning or moving a unit.

* Units can either go solo and turn for free before they move or clump up as a phalanx and move multiple units with one action at the expense of only being able to move in the direction they're already facing.

* You can shove enemy units only if you have more units in a row than they do. You can rout units (send them back to the enemy starting area) either by shoving them into a wall or ramming them from the side.

And that's pretty much the full set of rules. It's got a really great complexity to strategy ratio, so I'm hoping it'll get some more good attention as time goes on (Buzzfeed already listed it as the #3 board game to look forward to in 2014). Take a look!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As neat as this game looks, I have no idea why your friend (or whoever set up the KS) set up the shipping the way they have. People in the US aren't really used to "adding $5 for shipping," since a lot of people assume that it would be included in the cost of their tier, whereas I assume the rest of the world cares because it tends to be an issue. That is to say, by not putting the early bird tier as $25 instead of $20, Americans may not realize that they need to pony up more for shipping, or else your friend is going to get a lot of people NOT paying for shipping and be in the hole.

If I wanted to be cynical about it, I would have assumed they chose $20 as the (early bird) tier for the psychological effect, since the difference between $20 and $25 in our dumb brains is a substantial gap, even if a $5 difference ultimately is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Can't speak for the shipping thing since I'm used to it, but the art is :krad: and reminds me of the Athenian section of the British museum, in an almost nostalgic kind of way.

• Locked thread