Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A F2P mobile Pokemon game would definitely be lucrative, but it would probably also be pretty gross and unfun on account of the entire cynical F2P business model, so I'm not sure why anyone not financially invested in Nintendo's success would be asking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also yeah it almost can't be overstated how enormous the DS was in Japan especially. It's literally the second best selling console of all time, slightly less than the PS2. I think it is the biggest selling console in Japan, slightly ahead of the Game Boy which was around for like 11 years compared to 6 or 7 for the DS.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Oh yeah, Japan actually overtook the US in smartphone app spending last year. Crazy stuff: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/11/5199800/japan-overtakes-the-us-in-app-revenue-thanks-to-mobile-games

There's a reason why almost every Japanese publisher has a huge boner for mobile games these days.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Allowing you to export pokemon to a smartphone to just have battles/trade on would likely make them some cash.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm kind of shocked they haven't made a Pokemon Stadium/Revolution for the WiiU yet for X/Y and B/W.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Harlock posted:

I'm kind of shocked they haven't made a Pokemon Stadium/Revolution for the WiiU yet for X/Y and B/W.

Im guessing making all those models and attacks for an HD game would be extremely time consuming even if the core game itself is simple.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Harlock posted:

X and Y are already using 3D models for the Pokémon, but it would still be nice to have. I really like how they turned out, especially after Phoenix Wright managed to look brilliant in 3D.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

The big reason for Pokemon Stadium was to give the static 2D sprites 3D models and animations. Except X/Y now has 3D models with animations so Stadium basically has no reason to exist.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The big reason for Pokemon Stadium was to give the static 2D sprites 3D models and animations. Except X/Y now has 3D models with animations so Stadium basically has no reason to exist.

The big reason for Pokemon Stadium was "hell yeah pokemon battles on the big screen"

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
The big reason for Pokemon Stadium was the minigames. What I'm saying is make Pokemon Party.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You can't just "make it Microtransaction." you have to redesign the entire game around it and that would involve removing a lot of features. You drat well couldn't have unlimited easy Pokemon breeding and infinite trading in a game where you wanted to sell things to the player after the fact.

Right so you just make gated breeding limits and rake in the money. This wouldn't even require innovation for Nintendo, the model is already there in Puzzle & Dragon (which is making like $4 million per day) among others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Papercut posted:

Right so you just make gated breeding limits and rake in the money. This wouldn't even require innovation for Nintendo, the model is already there in Puzzle & Dragon (which is making like $4 million per day) among others.

Oh, it's entirely something you can do. It's like Supercar said above though. it would be remarkably shittier in every way and nobody should hope for it unless they're a Nintendo stockholder.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, it's entirely something you can do. It's like Supercar said above though. it would be remarkably shittier in every way and nobody should hope for it unless they're a Nintendo stockholder.

The problem is that if mobile gaming is indeed taking up marketshare of traditional handhelds, then there's nothing that Nintendo could do about it except make mobile games, and mobile games as a rule are awful poo poo. It's tough to get around only having access to a terrible, garbage input mechanism. Nobody should hope for anyone to make any mobile games from the perspective of wanting good, fun games to play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The mobile landscape is too volatile to say "this is what Nintendo needs to do in a few years". We don't know what the mobile landscape will look like in a few years. The whole thing could come crashing down. There is not a pattern of consistent success among app makers to suggest things are going to trend up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Item to make next encounter a shiny: $2.00
Master ball: $3.00

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

A cool drat horse posted:

I'm just as disappointed in Nintendo as anyone else here (their "plan" makes no sense and shows that they are STILL out of touch with what is wrong with their system), however, what makes people think the market for serious handheld gaming systems is dying? Because of lovely mobile games? I feel as if they'll always be a market for an actual handheld gaming system though it may shrink as parents keep buying their children tablets.

Also this is one situation where the fans would legitimately have a better direction to go with the system than the actual brass.
The handheld market is kids, especially in Japan, and dorks. And kids aren't getting handhelds anymore, they're getting tablets. So that leaves dorks, and dorks aren't enough to sustain handhelds as a viable product, bless our hearts.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If there really is still a market for a traditional handheld, even if it's shrinking, then it shouldn't be impossible to be present in both markets. You can have a F2P cash cow in the mobile market while still producing traditional Pokemon for a DS, or alternatively license the brand to Gung Ho or whoever and just take in royalties on the insane money they're pulling in. When you're sitting on billions of reserves, expanding your company to diversify in that way is what a good CEO should be looking at. Core fans might get upset that you're diluting the brand, but if you keep making the games they like then their complaints will ring hollow anyway.

I just find it weird that Iwata always seems obsessed with finding or inventing a his pet craze while deriding the crazes that are sitting there right there in front of him.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
It's because Iwata is a god-damned idiot.

I don't know if it's really possible to have proper game development (I'm calling it proper because that's what it is), and bullshit F2P scum-of-the-Earth type poo poo coming out of the same studio. The attitudes of one will eventually infect the other, and I'm pretty sure I know which direction it will go.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, Level-5 has done some mobile games as original content whilst still working on current consoles, so there's one possible example you could look at to see whether or not it can work out (though of course, we need time for that). Their model with Layton Brothers is that you get the first few cases free, and then can buy the rest in small costs of a few pounds/dollars each - giving you enough to potentially get hooked and then justify the purchases to yourself, whilst not being pay to win either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still don't get why we think Nintendo CAN'T just move over to other platforms. They probably won't, but they absolutely can just dump the Wii U and 3DS and do it. With the position they are in now, they only stand to lose less money then they are right now, and that's like the absolute worse case scenario. They probably legitimately believe that in the long term they are going to start making a profit on these two platforms.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

I still don't get why we think Nintendo CAN'T just move over to other platforms. They probably won't, but they absolutely can just dump the Wii U and 3DS and do it. With the position they are in now, they only stand to lose less money then they are right now, and that's like the absolute worse case scenario. They probably legitimately believe that in the long term they are going to start making a profit on these two platforms.

And the thing is the PS4 hasn't even launched yet. They're basing their data off a market where they have no next-gen competition. Like they're still doing the Japan Only Matters thing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Taint Reaper posted:

And the thing is the PS4 hasn't even launched yet. They're basing their data off a market where they have no next-gen competition. Like they're still doing the Japan Only Matters thing.

It will be interesting to see how the PS4 does in Japan considering how much talk there is about Japan being so big on mobile gaming

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I said come in! posted:

Well, there's no reason to drop the 3DS. It may not be doing as well as previous platforms but that doesn't mean it's going to nosedive to failure. Future growth may not be looking great here and the next Nintendo handheld may fail if the handheld market declines that much, but that's hardly a reason to abandon ship on a successful platform.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

They can do it but it generally isn't what they want to do. Being third party involves giving up an absolutely tremendous amount of control and power and a lot of potential future freedom. From the company's perspective that is a terrible option because it forever limits what they can do in the future and forces them to deal with whatever inane poo poo Sony or Microsoft might decide to force upon them. (See: Microsoft's insanely expensive patching policy on the 360.)

That may end up being their only choice but it isn't one they want to take if there is any other option at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

They can do it but it generally isn't what they want to do. Being third party involves giving up an absolutely tremendous amount of control and power and a lot of potential future freedom. From the company's perspective that is a terrible option because it forever limits what they can do in the future and forces them to deal with whatever inane poo poo Sony or Microsoft might decide to force upon them. (See: Microsoft's insanely expensive patching policy on the 360.)

That may end up being their only choice but it isn't one they want to take if there is any other option at all.

Sony doesn't have anything like that. Developers with the launch of the PS4 get to do their own pricing, and patches are free to upload with no checks/approval on Sonys end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Sony doesn't have anything like that. Developers with the launch of the PS4 get to do their own pricing, and patches are free to upload with no checks/approval on Sonys end.

We don't have a 100% clear idea of what Sony's internal stuff is. They certainly are more friendly but they've certainly got some restrictive policies. We never got the Breath of Fire 3 PSP port because they had limitations for what people could port to the PSP. (You needed a specific number of changes or new content.) Everything I've heard is that they're the more friendly of the two at the moment but that doesn't prevent them from doing stupid poo poo in the future.

And Nintendo couldn't just go to Sony. Very few third party developers are interested in developing for only one system unless they get a nice big moneyhat out of it. Third party's biggest advantage is multiple SKUs to sell.

It could indeed be Nintendo's only option but they absolutely do not want to go that direction unless they have to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 1, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The thing that disappoints me most about their new direction of making quality of life software and poo poo is that it's a huge waste of their development talent. They have all these amazing dev teams an IPs, but their home consoles just aren't targeted to the people who go in for that. I doubt many Wii owners actually bought any Nintendo games for themselves, besides the Wii Sports pack-in and Wii Fit.

Nintendo couldn't release the sorts of hardcore games they made for the Gamecube on the Wii, since only a fraction of their install base were gamers, and they can't release them on the Wii U since they need guaranteed multimillion sellers.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Also, that's reliant on Sony staying nice. They might have a change of strategy at any time. Which is just the problem: Nintendo becomes beholden to others, when they're used to running the playground themselves. Definitely not a meaningless change.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Have Nintendo mentioned playing Wii games using the Wii U gamepad as a classic controller yet? Is it possible to do this yet? I really want this feature.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Have Nintendo mentioned playing Wii games using the Wii U gamepad as a classic controller yet? Is it possible to do this yet? I really want this feature.

No word on it yet. It would be real fuckin' nice for Xenoblade.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've heard handwavey bullshit from some Nintendo fans that it would be impossible because some games don't support the classic controller and the home button doesn't work on certain screens so you'd be stuck.
To which I say so fuckin what, the power button exists.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Since the touchscreen wouldn't have a designated function in Wii mode, maybe you could tap it to pull up a "choose controller mode" menu in the Gamepad firmware. It seems perfectly solvable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come Nintendo won't support the Virtual Console on 3DS?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
My guess is virtual console games don't sell as well as they did once upon a time. When Wii was in it's heyday, they were pushing out 2-3 a week. Now we're "lucky" if we get one every second week.

Like others have said, if they'd have sales like, "10 nes games for $25" they'd probably do better with it.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible that Nintendo could be split into two companies, one for software and one for hardware? Or that the hardware division is sold to a Chinese (or similar) company, and they solely become a software company?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

LOSS posted:

Is it possible that Nintendo could be split into two companies, one for software and one for hardware? Or that the hardware division is sold to a Chinese (or similar) company, and they solely become a software company?

Yes but they won't. Nintendo doesn't want to get out of hardware game.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If worst comes to worst they'll get out of the home console business and stick with handhelds. They'll give it one more try though before quitting.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They can still be in third place, have a system that is profitable, and stay in the hardware game. The Game Cube/GBA era, which was their two worst performing handhelds and consoles, still had very profitable years.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

They can still be in third place, have a system that is profitable, and stay in the hardware game. The Game Cube/GBA era, which was their two worst performing handhelds and consoles, still had very profitable years.

The GBA only ended up selling what it did because they cut its life super short. If they hadn't released the DS when they did the GBA would have sold over 100 million units pretty easily. It was selling really well, especially in the US.

Anyway, Nintendo could survive in third place, but not with Gamecube/GBA level sales. They're taking a loss/not as much of a profit on hardware these days, and games are massively more expensive to make than they were back then so a bigger install base is needed to make money on software.

Soooo if they want to stay in the home console game they need to close the gap with their competition. Could be tough considering that every one of their consoles has sold less than its predecessor other than the Wii.

e: Today in SHOCKING NEWS: After the sales of Lost World the next Sonic game is also coming to the PS4 and Xbone.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Crowbear posted:

The GBA only ended up selling what it did because they cut its life super short. If they hadn't released the DS when they did the GBA would have sold over 100 million units pretty easily. It was selling really well, especially in the US.

Anyway, Nintendo could survive in third place, but not with Gamecube/GBA level sales. They're taking a loss/not as much of a profit on hardware these days, and games are massively more expensive to make than they were back then so a bigger install base is needed to make money on software.

Soooo if they want to stay in the home console game they need to close the gap with their competition. Could be tough considering that every one of their consoles has sold less than its predecessor other than the Wii.

e: Today in SHOCKING NEWS: After the sales of Lost World the next Sonic game is also coming to the PS4 and Xbone.

Not to mention that both 3DS and Wii U are selling substantially worse than GBA and GCN.

• Locked thread