Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Rather Dashing posted:

Desideratus, I was going to give your Exploration Enhanced a go this evening but I noticed the big 'use only in OpenGL mode' warning. My framerate gets cut in half using that and, being on an older system, it's not great to start with. Is there any chance future updates will be compatible with the regular mode?

The Iron Rose posted:

I just ignored the warning because my backup system lags like hell on the regular mode. OpenGL is unusable for me. So far I haven't noticed any problems though, what exactly am I missing out on by not using openGL?

You can always TRY regular mode, and if your game runs then it's fine, probably; You'll possibly see some graphical glitches and errors stemming for a texelOffset error, but it should all be graphical in nature, no "real" damage caused. I don't think it'll ever work quite right with the normal mode, sadly :(

Sorry I've been unavailable lately, the wife has the flu so I've been dealing with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, you can find it in containers and such, but it gets replaced on the mineral table by titanium on gamma and delta planets.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Since the latest character wipe, our server that previously hosted 6 of us fine struggles with even one person. There is tons of serverside lag to the point where we can hit stationary monsters instantly because it registers every hit on them several seconds later. And then eventually the server just craps out and takes itself out, giving a client-server connection severed message. Did the updates really add on to the minimum specs for servers so much?

Yeah, it was weather effect doubling CPU usage. Guess we have to upgrade!

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Finally got around to filling my ship up after the wipe:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lallander posted:

How many people are noticing this? If it is just the one it is possible that one of them traveled to a planet pre update and one post update.

That happened while we were both in the same room, and like I said, both running Furious Koala. I didn't bother screenshotting them all, but after we found that discrepancy, we verified it across about 20 planets in a couple systems.

Anybody else on a Mac want to post a shot of which version of that planet they get?

Main Paineframe posted:

Roofs need to be automatically adjusted somehow to suit the weather of the planet they're on. It's just cosmetic for most weather types, but when it comes to the meteor showers, alien buildings always seem to have perfect roofs when I first arrive and be completely chewed up by the time I leave.

The funniest unintended (hopefully?) consequence so far of the weather upgrades is that when it rains, places that have extinguishables on the floor (like stoves and fires etc) will have those items get de-placed as soon as someone opens an exterior door. The second-story open balconies common in Avian markets will fill up with water until someone opens the door and floods the whole house. :v:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 1, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thief posted:

Finally got around to filling my ship up after the wipe:

Nice setup, I like the treasure map and bed nook (what type is that?) above the teleporter. I got a bed and office chair taking up more vertical space for mine. And an obsessive dirt strip on the top half of the ship to grow food on the go, though persistent farmables and a homeworld mean I can probably stop that habit.

I'm also reminded of how :argh: I am over the fact "Wall" decorations can not be placed if there is a ground object in the way, and ground objects can not be placed if there is a "wall" object in the way. No you can't hang a Banana poster slightly behind the kitchen counter, that would be crazy.

EDIT: vvv I feel your pain. USUALLY the ship lights aren't an issue, but sometimes they decide to clip through the top of things. Also, is there such thing as a cosmetic Back or Head item that simply HIDES your equipped back or head item?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 1, 2014

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
When I was growing Wheat in my ship I wanted to place one of those bunker fans behind the crops, only for the fan sprite to go over the wheat sprites (so the wheat would grow up and go under the fan and look weird as hell). :negative:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Does anyone have coordinates for a Gamma quadrant gun merchant? I'm tired of getting shat on my the dragon and just want to cheese my way through it at this point.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If you can summon the dragon you can make gun turrets. Once you make one you can use the 3d printer on the ship to buy more for 1 pixel each. why run off to find a gun dealer when you can have fifty autoturrets?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Two turrets, spaced out, facing inwards. Summon the dragon between them, duck underground, and watch the dragon spaz out trying to figure out what to do.

For the Jelly, just use ten times as many turrets!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Two turrets, spaced out, facing inwards. Summon the dragon between them, duck underground, and watch the dragon spaz out trying to figure out what to do.

For the Jelly, just use ten times as many turrets!

I use Avian air-pirates. :chord:

:supaburn:(NOT RECOMMENDED FOR UFO):supaburn:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Goddammit, how do I get my improved matter manipulator back? I can't seem to get the unpacker to actually unpack the packed.pak file and the Better Beamaxe mod isn't downloadable anymore.

e: never mind, I'm a big enough nerd that I looked up how to actually use it properly

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2014

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Desideratus posted:

It's the early version of my Advanced Workstations mod!

I can't tell if I'm just being an idiot, but I can't find the Bulk Refinery. I used all of the starmap upgrades, as far as I know, but it isn't showing up.

Semi-related, I know you were sort of taking requests earlier in the thread; it would be swell if you added a modern looking metalwork station and loom as part of advanced workstations. They look really out of place with the other crafting stuff.

Hope your wife feels better soon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Goddammit, how do I get my improved matter manipulator back? I can't seem to get the unpacker to actually unpack the packed.pak file and the Better Beamaxe mod isn't downloadable anymore.

e: never mind, I'm a big enough nerd that I looked up how to actually use it properly

I actually fixed that in my better mining mod

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Turtlicious posted:

Aha! Thanks. I also now realize I was denied access to mods because I hadn't got an account on Chucklefish's site. :doh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if a mod is multi-player compatible or not? (ie will taking it on a multi server break [whatever mod]?)

I wish it was a checkbox on each mod's page. Maybe it is, and I'm missing it!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is there some trick to finding Ceruliam? I know it's supposed to be on TL 7 worlds, but goddamn if it doesn't seem to be the hardest to find of the late game materials. I've got Rubium coming out of my ears, but am scrounging to get through the tech upgrades that require Ceruliam. Anyone have a good planet with a lot of it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

o muerte posted:

Does anyone have coordinates for a Gamma quadrant gun merchant? I'm tired of getting shat on my the dragon and just want to cheese my way through it at this point.

Gamma Aaoe 78 Ia: planet of the feral mushroom gunsmiths. (:psyduck:)
X: -73053658
Y: 49279458

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Desideratus posted:

You can always TRY regular mode, and if your game runs then it's fine, probably; You'll possibly see some graphical glitches and errors stemming for a texelOffset error, but it should all be graphical in nature, no "real" damage caused. I don't think it'll ever work quite right with the normal mode, sadly :(

Sorry I've been unavailable lately, the wife has the flu so I've been dealing with that.

Wait, it is supposed to be run in OpenGL? I have just run it in Regular mode and it is perfectly fine..

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if a mod is multi-player compatible or not? (ie will taking it on a multi server break [whatever mod]?)

I don't think there's any place on the official site that states so. In general, though, if it adds new items or art to the game(ship replacements, new armor, mods with fancy LUA scripts), it's probably not multiplayer compatible. If it only edits the stats on an item, there's a good chance it WILL be compatible (only YOUR pickaxe/gun/whatever will be different, though, for example).

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 1, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is there some trick to finding Ceruliam? I know it's supposed to be on TL 7 worlds, but goddamn if it doesn't seem to be the hardest to find of the late game materials. I've got Rubium coming out of my ears, but am scrounging to get through the tech upgrades that require Ceruliam. Anyone have a good planet with a lot of it?

X Merquia 1154 IV
X: -73053636
Y: 49279469

I tried to shop specifically for snow or sand for easy diggin'. Not mega-dense with Cerulium per se, but I picked up 50 in under 5 minutes so it'll probably give you what you need.

I wish I could tell you what else the planet has, but I'm in Durasteel armor so everything bites me in half. :v:

e: Holy powerloader, Batman! Head west to find an igloo. About 2 screens west of that is a serious rising hill, with a surface tunnel tracking the rise of the hill. In that tunnel is a chest with a Human Mech blueprint.

ee: For people looking for Aegisalt, the forest moon in that screenshot (IV a) is TL6 and has a bunch of Aegisalt. 2-for-1 tier upgrades!

eee: After you roll up your Cerulium and Ferozium, head over to this planet:

X Exibiir 89 II a
X: -46387759
Y: 328683

There's a ton of Rubium all over the place here, and there's a huge sprawling Avian market west of the landing site (weapons, food, clothing). I built a skyrail to get there because there's a good variety of food items available, so I want to go back occasionally. I don't think it cost me more than 1000 skyrail segments; it's not far. One of the weapon vendors sells high-tier gear, my current poking stick is a 3100+ damage axe that I bought there. The clothing vendors sell blueprints for one of the Avian helms (the Phoenix one, don't remember what metal) and the Avian Impervium-tier chest and legs.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 1, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, did you know that your first planet (you know, the one you build your base on and where you keep all your poo poo) isn't automatically set as your home planet? I didn't! :downs:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splizwarf posted:

It is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey, did you know that your first planet (you know, the one you build your base on and where you keep all your poo poo) isn't automatically set as your home planet? I didn't! :downs:
Why would you build your base on your first planet? I build my first base on my ship, and don't settle on a permanent locale until I find a planet I really like.
That said, I think there's a file in the Starbound directory somewhere that keeps a log of the planets you've visited, so you can use that to find your first planet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I started on a planet with no meteors and brilliant purple dirt this time around. Sold!

Maybe my standards are low?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If it doesn't have angry birds that poo poo blood, you have arrived at a good starting planet.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
On my Hardcore starting world I found a Glitch castle about ten minutes from the spawn point.

I then learned the hard way why they have such big doors for the entrance :negative:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, those knights kinda hit hard. At least it happened early in your run.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Does any metal food boost Glitch's, or just 1 type? I can't find out how to tell.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Oh dear god. I just found a banjo with my Floran. I need an abc version of dueling banjos, stat.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
X 74201739 Y -75176974 Delta Ioto-2 Sco 393 I. There's an apex jumping puzzle dungeon to the left of beam in that has the human mech tech at the bottom. Also found a wedding dress top in a chest a near the lab.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 2, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Section Z posted:

Nice setup, I like the treasure map and bed nook (what type is that?) above the teleporter. I got a bed and office chair taking up more vertical space for mine. And an obsessive dirt strip on the top half of the ship to grow food on the go, though persistent farmables and a homeworld mean I can probably stop that habit.

I'm also reminded of how :argh: I am over the fact "Wall" decorations can not be placed if there is a ground object in the way, and ground objects can not be placed if there is a "wall" object in the way. No you can't hang a Banana poster slightly behind the kitchen counter, that would be crazy.

EDIT: vvv I feel your pain. USUALLY the ship lights aren't an issue, but sometimes they decide to clip through the top of things. Also, is there such thing as a cosmetic Back or Head item that simply HIDES your equipped back or head item?

It's a Floran prison bed, but I don't think you can actually sleep in it without the extra row of space? I'm really just waiting on the ship upgrade system to be implemented before going and modding anything. I'm storing all my seeds/foods for now but plan on building a farm.

And yeah, it'd be nice to put posters as background thing but its really only a problem when in the ship as of right now and there will eventually be more room so I doubt that's gonna change.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The last time I tried mashing a Floran Prison Bed against the ceiling of my ship, I could use it just fine, but when getting out my character wound up stuck halfway through the ceiling, unable to move. Fortunately, you can beam out from anywhere in your ship. Now I just ram my bed halfway under the 3D printer.

On that note, I need to check if you can use chairs or beds to teleport through walls, and thus wall off your spawned npcs somewhere you won't accidentally stab them in the face with a grenade launcher.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Fish Noise posted:

On that note, I need to check if you can use chairs or beds to teleport through walls

Unless they changed it in a recent patch, yes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How has the performance been on older laptops for you guys? I'd been away from my desktop for a while and when I came back the psu was fried, so I'm playing this game on my 4 year old laptop and I get terrible framerate, especially considering it has a discrete Nvidia card (230m) and a first-gen i7 quad core.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

The last time I tried mashing a Floran Prison Bed against the ceiling of my ship, I could use it just fine, but when getting out my character wound up stuck halfway through the ceiling, unable to move. Fortunately, you can beam out from anywhere in your ship. Now I just ram my bed halfway under the 3D printer.

On that note, I need to check if you can use chairs or beds to teleport through walls, and thus wall off your spawned npcs somewhere you won't accidentally stab them in the face with a grenade launcher.

You really need Targeted Blink for your NPC concentration camp scenario. Although it seems like it's hell of buggy.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
What the gently caress is up with those mushroom guys? someone posted earlier about finding a bunch with weird deathchambers with a floran in them, I just found a giant pitcher plant with a floran stuck in the bottom and a bunch of mushroom guys dancing around it.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

King Doom posted:

What the gently caress is up with those mushroom guys? someone posted earlier about finding a bunch with weird deathchambers with a floran in them, I just found a giant pitcher plant with a floran stuck in the bottom and a bunch of mushroom guys dancing around it.

I think they're attempting to cook the Floran. Nothing like slow roasted flower people.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 1, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It strikes me as kind of a natural rivalry. They occupy similar ecological niches and are probably capable of eating one another, so they compete for resources and try to eat one another.

Alternatively, the Hylotl did it. It's always the goddamn Hylotl's fault somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

X Merquia 1154 IV
X: -73053636
Y: 49279469

I tried to shop specifically for snow or sand for easy diggin'. Not mega-dense with Cerulium per se, but I picked up 50 in under 5 minutes so it'll probably give you what you need.

I wish I could tell you what else the planet has, but I'm in Durasteel armor so everything bites me in half. :v:

e: Holy powerloader, Batman! Head west to find an igloo. About 2 screens west of that is a serious rising hill, with a surface tunnel tracking the rise of the hill. In that tunnel is a chest with a Human Mech blueprint.

ee: For people looking for Aegisalt, the forest moon in that screenshot (IV a) is TL6 and has a bunch of Aegisalt. 2-for-1 tier upgrades!

eee: After you roll up your Cerulium and Ferozium, head over to this planet:

X Exibiir 89 II a
X: -46387759
Y: 328683

There's a ton of Rubium all over the place here, and there's a huge sprawling Avian market west of the landing site (weapons, food, clothing). I built a skyrail to get there because there's a good variety of food items available, so I want to go back occasionally. I don't think it cost me more than 1000 skyrail segments; it's not far. One of the weapon vendors sells high-tier gear, my current poking stick is a 3100+ damage axe that I bought there. The clothing vendors sell blueprints for one of the Avian helms (the Phoenix one, don't remember what metal) and the Avian Impervium-tier chest and legs.

I think you missed a number, the only planet I am finding at those coordinates with that name is X Exibiir 849 II a

• Locked thread