Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Seems like goons are playing Mid on Origins, the problem is they all got in early and now that maybe the server population seems to be taking off a little bit maybe they aren't so quick at taking new registration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Combo posted:

Seems like goons are playing Mid on Origins, the problem is they all got in early and now that maybe the server population seems to be taking off a little bit maybe they aren't so quick at taking new registration?

Try your accounts. I heard they're manually authing new forums accounts.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

PriNGLeS posted:

Try your accounts. I heard they're manually authing new forums accounts.

Update: My account was authed but the server issues a 503 when trying to create a game account. Man you guys put up with some horribad stuff to avoid paying 10 bux

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Has nothing to do with :10bux:. If they made an OF old RA live server I would play on it.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

Has nothing to do with :10bux:. If they made an OF old RA live server I would play on it.

This.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, to be honest unless you're fully templated out on live you're basically fodder, and if you don't have the resources to catch up it can be pretty hard. And then there's finding RvR groups/guilds.

I have nothing really against live but that's partially because I have the plat to do what I want to do if I start playing again, and most of my characters have some semblance of a template, so I don't have to put out much effort. Last time I played I lasted about 2 weeks, never found a guild, and ran with either zergs or absolutely poo poo groups.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

Yeah, to be honest unless you're fully templated out on live you're basically fodder, and if you don't have the resources to catch up it can be pretty hard. And then there's finding RvR groups/guilds.

I have nothing really against live but that's partially because I have the plat to do what I want to do if I start playing again, and most of my characters have some semblance of a template, so I don't have to put out much effort. Last time I played I lasted about 2 weeks, never found a guild, and ran with either zergs or absolutely poo poo groups.

When I hosed around/abused trial accounts I just made a couple of CV characters. I ran 8 accounts doing BG/glass quests and made about 50p and just templated for CV. I did this due to the ridiculous prices of level 50 template items. I'm looking at you ML10 gear.
I asked around on how to make plat. I was flat out told to buy from chinese farmers multiple times. It's just not a fun place to be, anymore.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

How do I get invited to Buris Kinder? My main is Tomed, currently leveling an alt named Boobie

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'm now an officer in the guild, so invites should come easier. Hit me up on Wrex/Killdozer

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm in and just hit level 2 as an RM, but considering picking up a melee. I assume there's an overload of savages because of quad hits. How are zerkers?

I have one on live who was always fun but I can't remember how they were at the point where this patch is. Is left axe still broken powerful or was this after that nerf?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Combo posted:

I'm in and just hit level 2 as an RM, but considering picking up a melee. I assume there's an overload of savages because of quad hits. How are zerkers?

I have one on live who was always fun but I can't remember how they were at the point where this patch is. Is left axe still broken powerful or was this after that nerf?

Game always seems to hang at the loading screen after launching from daocportal....any idea why this might be?

Then if I alt-tab back into it it eventually just crashes to desktop.

DrBombay
Jul 5, 2004

by Ralp

Combo posted:

Post nerf on the LA for zerkers. Quad hit was just nerfed down on the server as it was proccing an absurd amount before, not sure on the exact numbers there. Play either really, people aren't too discriminating at this stage.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

SoggyGravy posted:

Game always seems to hang at the loading screen after launching from daocportal....any idea why this might be?

Then if I alt-tab back into it it eventually just crashes to desktop.

Did you create a game account? I was doing the same thing until I realized you need to also create a game account after the forum account. That page timed out for me for about a half hour but I eventually got one created.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

Zerk is still good. Doublefrost is nerfed down to .75 growth instead of 1.whatever it was before. And it's the new Aurora Borealis style with the cold proc. So they're probably in the same position as they were on Uthgard. Good.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

PriNGLeS posted:

When I hosed around/abused trial accounts I just made a couple of CV characters. I ran 8 accounts doing BG/glass quests and made about 50p and just templated for CV. I did this due to the ridiculous prices of level 50 template items. I'm looking at you ML10 gear.
I asked around on how to make plat. I was flat out told to buy from chinese farmers multiple times. It's just not a fun place to be, anymore.
On live servers, you should never have to buy plat from Chinese farmers. In Hib, we were giving plat away, and I was crafting most things for guildies for free.

You don't need the really expensive ML10 gear for a passable template. Mythic revamped the free Epic armor so that it was actually okay, and some Summoner's Hall and Pictish gear can sub in for ML10 gear in a nice template. Scale armor was still really good the last time I played, and very easy to get while the Pictish quests were going.

That said, to make money on live servers, you have these options:
1) Craft (in Hib, this meant crafting for Alchemy and/or Spellcrafting orders, and I assume it's the same way for other realms)
2) RvR a lot
3) Run high-reward quests when they come up (like the recent Pictish quests)
4) Farm things strategically (Summoner's Hall)

And I still want Mythic to set up their own Origins server, like they said they were planning to do back in 2008. :colbert:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Server was great yesterday but today it's total rear end again.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Its fun that there's so many low level people around to group with and all but I go LD every like 10 mins or so, is this the norm?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
The server is having a bad day. Whatever they tried to fix broke something instead.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
I have a lv30 mid skald on Origins - Cormac
And a lv50 hib eldritch on live - Tralfalgar

For live, this guide was super helpful as a returning player: http://www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php?17114-New-and-Returning-Player-Guides

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I would only play live if a handful of goons were starting characters on it otherwise I'll see how patient I am with waiting for Origins to unshit itself before deciding to possibly move on.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I heard in guild chat that there is a necklace quest that can get you from 47 to 50? Any information on this, is it difficult?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Pretty sure you have to be 48 to get it and you'll have to do the chest quest as well to go from 48 to 50.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

Its fun that there's so many low level people around to group with and all but I go LD every like 10 mins or so, is this the norm?

Past few days it's been quite stable. Today it has been poo poo. They've been in a frenzy working on stuff and there has been significant improvements overall. If you're expecting a perfect performance like some of the users in this thread, you'll be disappointed. But they are supporting as many if not more users than live on some busted rear end original code.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

im gay posted:

I heard in guild chat that there is a necklace quest that can get you from 47 to 50? Any information on this, is it difficult?

At level 47 do the Vasudheim quest. It's soloable (even for healers). It's called Melting The Ice. http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html?realm=Midgard&cquest=3187 You can do it 3 times. Then there's the necklace quest. http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html?cquest=637 For more xp and a bombass necklace (best in game, generally). Also there is the chest piece quest with a currently bugged delve lifetap. http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html?realm=Midgard&cquest=1809 It takes 2 players atleast. Same with the necklace.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

Past few days it's been quite stable. Today it has been poo poo. They've been in a frenzy working on stuff and there has been significant improvements overall. If you're expecting a perfect performance like some of the users in this thread, you'll be disappointed. But they are supporting as many if not more users than live on some busted rear end original code.

I'm definitely not expecting that, just asking if that was normal or not. Hard to get things done right now.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PriNGLeS posted:

Past few days it's been quite stable. Today it has been poo poo. They've been in a frenzy working on stuff and there has been significant improvements If you're expecting a perfect performance like some of the users in this thread, you'll be disappointed.

Perfect? I'd take "below average" at this point. The loving thing melts around 10-11pm EST every single night.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

I'm definitely not expecting that, just asking if that was normal or not. Hard to get things done right now.

For now, I'd say random disconnects are not normal. Server crashes, yes. But it's definitely playable with some persistence. I'm on my 2nd 50, working on my 3rd. (Group bonus in an 8 man group is intense.)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

LoreOfSerpents posted:

On live servers, you should never have to buy plat from Chinese farmers. In Hib, we were giving plat away, and I was crafting most things for guildies for free.

You don't need the really expensive ML10 gear for a passable template. Mythic revamped the free Epic armor so that it was actually okay, and some Summoner's Hall and Pictish gear can sub in for ML10 gear in a nice template. Scale armor was still really good the last time I played, and very easy to get while the Pictish quests were going.

That said, to make money on live servers, you have these options:
1) Craft (in Hib, this meant crafting for Alchemy and/or Spellcrafting orders, and I assume it's the same way for other realms)
2) RvR a lot
3) Run high-reward quests when they come up (like the recent Pictish quests)
4) Farm things strategically (Summoner's Hall)

And I still want Mythic to set up their own Origins server, like they said they were planning to do back in 2008. :colbert:

This is all very true. They've also brought in multiple seasonal quests, the spring quest is coming up with a great bracer ( believe it's the spring time folly bracer). The traveling merchants make appearances as well. If you have them saved up you can spend bounty points to handle and ml/artifacs you might need. With the traveling merchants, who sell ml10 gear, the marketplace has really gone down regarding high level gear. I don't even use my ml10 weapons any longer as the Pictish gear is slightly better. ( notes this is all on alb live )

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Twlight posted:

This is all very true. They've also brought in multiple seasonal quests, the spring quest is coming up with a great bracer ( believe it's the spring time folly bracer). The traveling merchants make appearances as well. If you have them saved up you can spend bounty points to handle and ml/artifacs you might need. With the traveling merchants, who sell ml10 gear, the marketplace has really gone down regarding high level gear. I don't even use my ml10 weapons any longer as the Pictish gear is slightly better. ( notes this is all on alb live )

It should be noted that you can buy any artifact for 300-1200 bp or glass each. About 5000 glass can be farmed in a few hours from repeatable turn-ins, solo. ML's cost 1500 each.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

sinewave posted:

It should be noted that you can buy any artifact for 300-1200 bp or glass each. About 5000 glass can be farmed in a few hours from repeatable turn-ins, solo. ML's cost 1500 each.

That's true I forgot about the glass but that's another way to gear up. As it stands, getting a top top tier template is usually going to require some sort of rog ring or bracelet. These can be bought or you can get them from an npc in one of the toa zones.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
yup definitely cannot log on, just hangs on the load screen until I choose to exit by hitting escape...

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Twlight posted:

That's true I forgot about the glass but that's another way to gear up. As it stands, getting a top top tier template is usually going to require some sort of rog ring or bracelet. These can be bought or you can get them from an npc in one of the toa zones.

Someone told me the quest NPC trades them for afrits in GG. Not sure thought.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would totally play live if I didn't have to pay. I have a rr8 minstrel that is fully templated. Can't they just bring back the two free weeks every 2 months?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
PriNGLeS I was digging around to find some old shaman stuff when I found this grab bag.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030905012910/http://www.camelotherald.com/more/704.php

Sanya Thomas posted:

Q: Do regen spells (endurance, power, and health) stack with their realm ability equivalents (Tirelessness/Longwind, Serenity, and Regeneration)?

A: Yes. Questions on the possible caps on the amount that can be regenerated need to wait, however, as I am getting conflicting reports from the loyal crew that proofreads these columns.

It sounds like it isn't working this way on origins but I haven't done any tests since we're only allowed to have one account. Should mean that yellow endo plus tireless is equal to red endo as long as you're in combat.

Edit: I'm going to keep red endo for now since I don't know how it works on this server. 46aug/27cave/8mend right now but if this is fixed/is working I'll go 38aug/37cave/9mend.

Edit#2: For anyone thinking of rolling a shaman this is a great guide. http://web.archive.org/web/20031031072217/http://ballistic.desolation.org/shaman/#5

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 1, 2014

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Too many players logged in, please try again later.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

im gay posted:

Too many players logged in, please try again later.

You aren't missing much at the moment, incredibly laggy even if you do get on.

edit: How are you supposed to buy anything? I'm almost level 5 and have 1 silver and nothing to sell off for more, so I'm stuck with a lovely training weapon?

edit2: this is basically unplayable lag right now...went LD again and can't even get back on. I'm sure at some point the server runs fine and all but I've played for an hour total maybe and I've gone LD about 8 times.

Combo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 1, 2014

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Yeah its been bad the past few days. Going to dungeons seems to be the only way to get money and equipment at lower levels.

Also, http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6443

Lol

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Origins may as well not exist during any semblance of prime time.

Like I said I've taken to playing a Live trial account. I don't know what it's like at 50 (but I hear you just farm glass in groups til you have what you need and it's really not bad) but from 1-49 the PVE content is actually well done, gear is extremely easy to come by, BGs always have some people in them, etc. I don't know if the game is worth marrying but I'm enjoying my fling.

Right now I have two characters, Bohohoboprobono, a Vampiir that I'm having trouble enjoying, and Mentatz, a Mentalist that is easy to love after they made Charm user-friendly, gave Hib a baseline Energy nuke, and gave Mentalists an energy debuff + nearsight combo spell. The class seems really powerful now, even if they totally removed the heal part of the heal/nuke.

Also I can cast AOE DoTs which makes spergs totally furious because they think lowbies are going to obey things like target calls and trains in battlegrounds.

Downsides: The interface is still godawful and as a trial you can't use any "broadcast" style channel, so you're trapped in /say, /tell, and /guild. The newbie guild they start you in is deafeningly quiet. If you're a shy nerd that's still shy while piloting an adorable Lurikeen girl and are too afraid to send /tells to people for group formation/invites, don't play this game.

boho fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 1, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like I'll be playing Neocron until "Origins" or Uthgard gets their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Kazvall posted:

Looks like I'll be playing Neocron until "Origins" or Uthgard gets their poo poo together.

See you in 2024!

• Locked thread