Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Caufman posted:

Ugh, that's possibly the most uncomfortable block of text I've ever read in a game. I have never been on the receiving end of a castration event.

My gonads are shrieking.

I have...

As a 9 year old Duke at the wrong end of a "Crown Law" rebellion :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is decadence still counted by characters outside your realm?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Is decadence still counted by characters outside your realm?

Every single adult male dynasty member counts - if their liege is of your dynasty.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Isn't the entire point of the game to put as many members of your dynasty on as many thrones as possible? Why are the Muslims penalizing you for that?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Isn't the entire point of the game to put as many members of your dynasty on as many thrones as possible? Why are the Muslims penalizing you for that?

fool_of_sound posted:

Decadence is a lovely mechanic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

quote:

I'm thinking of restoring Roman Empire with my Norse guy if that is even possible. I think it might be an Orthodox Greek choice only.
It's a fairly easy fix if you can't. It should be under realm decisions, if you play with Viet or some other mods, and the code you want to change it to is
code:
restore_roman_empire = {
		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Legacy of Rome"
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = incapable }
			NOT = { has_global_flag = rome_restored }
			OR = {
				has_landed_title = e_byzantium
				has_landed_title = e_latin_empire
			}
			OR = {
				religion_group = christian
				religion_group = pagan_group
			}
		}
		allow = {
			prestige = 3000

# The two capitals
			completely_controls = d_latium
			completely_controls = d_thrace

# Key positions in Roman Italia
			completely_controls = d_ferrara
			completely_controls = d_genoa
			completely_controls = d_capua
			completely_controls = d_apulia

# Key positions outside Roman Italia
			completely_controls = d_venice
			completely_controls = d_sicily
			completely_controls = d_alexandria
			completely_controls = d_athens
			completely_controls = d_tunis
		}
		effect = {
			narrative_event = { id = ancrel.2220 tooltip = EVTTOOLTIPLoR.20 }
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
Will let you restore it as a pagan. It's under decisions, realm_decisions.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I can't tell if painting the map with a vassal Pope is fun or really, really boring. I think I'll just conquer all of modern-day France and Spain, I guess?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm glad they are reworking decadence. I've been holding of my game as Sevillan patrician-emir, master of all three holdings for a long time now.

Also, I just found out that you can also circumvent mandatory pagan gavelkind if you become Celtic culture. For some reason, you can enact tanistry. Now I can understand the reasoning for Mongolian ultimogeniture, but why Celtic tanistry for pagans?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Also, I just found out that you can also circumvent mandatory pagan gavelkind if you become Celtic culture. For some reason, you can enact tanistry. Now I can understand the reasoning for Mongolian ultimogeniture, but why Celtic tanistry for pagans?

That's the secret to playing a Pagan with no vassals. As soon as you can, conquer Wales and swap to Welsh culture. Not only do you get Tanistry, but you get Longbows. You'll want to move your capital to London with your next ruler, but you probably want to stay Welsh culture.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I can't tell if painting the map with a vassal Pope is fun or really, really boring. I think I'll just conquer all of modern-day France and Spain, I guess?

Your next challenge: form a Papal merchant republic!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

hellsjudge posted:

Your next challenge: form a Papal merchant republic!
I did find a one-duchy kingdom and gave the duchy to a mayor. Vassal most serene republic, oh yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

No it is absolutely not? That can be a nice variant as a Christian, playing the marriage game, but if you play any of the smaller faiths then getting your dynasty members in power means in 99% of cases putting them there by conquering said duchies/kingdoms. Does it really make a difference if you put give the conquered lands to your dynasty members or somebody else?

And you realize that not all games need to end in world conquest? If you intentionally play a smaller game then I don't see the point of making all your vassals of your family, except of course that you are immune to game over except if somebody else conquers you. And if you play a smaller game then managing decadence is not that difficult as well.

Even if I go for world conquest, restoring the Roman Empire for example, I try to give out titles to the big families in my realm, including mine. I make sure to take people that are far from the line of succession of the various duchies, and then give them newly conquered territories. Then I have big parts of my Empire ruled by various Doukas, Komnenos, Bagriatoni, Macedon etc. This makes successions much more interesting and enables these power blocks to conquer more stuff from the various pagans/heretics around me.

You can manage decadence just fine if you are careful with handing out titles to your dynasty, and if you really hate it you can mod it out or use the console to reset it periodically. But you should definitely play Muslims from time to time, because they have nice events, mechanics and starting positions, and it is a shame if you never experience that. Sadly, judging by the fact that most people on this board apparently didn't even know that Muslim kings/emperors had free duchy revocation long before Legacy of Rome came out, it seems as if decadence has really discouraged people from playing Muslims.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Does building improvements in vassal holdings improve relations with the duke/mayor?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JGBeagle posted:

I just avoid playing as Muslims entirely. That game "mechanic" has killed any desire to play them.

I'd still rather play Muslims than Merchant Republics.

Torrannor posted:

No it is absolutely not? That can be a nice variant as a Christian, playing the marriage game, but if you play any of the smaller faiths then getting your dynasty members in power means in 99% of cases putting them there by conquering said duchies/kingdoms. Does it really make a difference if you put give the conquered lands to your dynasty members or somebody else?

Well, you get score for making sure those titles go to dynasty members.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

de_dust posted:

Does building improvements in vassal holdings improve relations with the duke/mayor?

Nope.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
What's this shattered world's thing I see mentioned occasionally?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lord Twisted posted:

What's this shattered world's thing I see mentioned occasionally?

A mod (optionally included in CK2+) that starts all rulers as one-province counts. There's another one (Reign of Princes) that has just dukes as well.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I just disable decadence gain entirely when playing as muslims, a little extra blobbing be damned. It would be better if the mechanic was replaced with Piety = Unlocking certain bonuses sorta like in EUIV. Less micromanagement hell too. Hoping RoI "tweaking" does something like that.

It would be nice if the muslims got some "unique" government/empire type dealy like the HRE/Byz, but say for the Caliphate so you can have some nice internal empire dickery going on rather than the somewhat top-heavy centralized thing that all current Muslim countries turn into.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
drat, I had one dude left to get a positive opinion of me so I could get out of loving gavelkind but of course all my assassinations attempts failed even though I had 200 % plot power, so I got angry and said gently caress it and just started paying for assassination attempts which of course failed a couple of times before I finally succeeded. However thanks to the failures all my vassals hate my guts , so I won't be getting primogeniture anytime soon while my Duke is 57 and infirm so he is bound to die soon with the second son taking pretty much taking all the counties and a duchy thanks to Gavelkind.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Torrannor posted:

No it is absolutely not?

While arguments can be made for different styles and roleplaying, the goal of the game is definitely to advance your family's position. All the mechanics, aside from Decadence, are set up to make family rulers a desirable goal. World conquest just happens naturally because the AI doesn't plan anything and after 400/600 years your singular vision will always win.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
In CK2+, for some characters I get -30 for Charitable vs. Greedy *and* another -30 for Charitable vs. Cruel :psyduck:

Anybody know in which file I can mod out the latter?

Edit: Found it in C:\Users\...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\CK2Plus\common\traits\zx_vanilla_traits.txt

Sulla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 1, 2014

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

drat, I had one dude left to get a positive opinion of me so I could get out of loving gavelkind but of course all my assassinations attempts failed even though I had 200 % plot power, so I got angry and said gently caress it and just started paying for assassination attempts which of course failed a couple of times before I finally succeeded. However thanks to the failures all my vassals hate my guts , so I won't be getting primogeniture anytime soon while my Duke is 57 and infirm so he is bound to die soon with the second son taking pretty much taking all the counties and a duchy thanks to Gavelkind.

Start trying to stab that second son, then

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
After reading the RoI article I'm feeling a little bit uneasy about this expansion I gotta admit, having read the bit about possibly emphasizing reincarnation and traits for leaders claiming to be reincarnation of old badass leaders...to the best of my recollection samsara kind of doesn't work that way, not for Buddhists, Jainists, or Hindus. Basically I really hope these guys do their research because it would be a shame to see it distastefully handled.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My guess would be that it's a very rare, once-in-a-playthrough sort of deal, rather like the Joan of Arc and Spawn of Satan events for the Christians, or attacking Cthulhu as a lunatic Norse. All of the religions have slightly wacky/fantastical event lines, so it'd be fitting for the Buddhists and Hindus and so on to have their own.

Crusader Kings II: My Son is the Dalai Lama!!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DrSunshine posted:

My guess would be that it's a very rare, once-in-a-playthrough sort of deal, rather like the Joan of Arc and Spawn of Satan events for the Christians, or attacking Cthulhu as a lunatic Norse. All of the religions have slightly wacky/fantastical event lines, so it'd be fitting for the Buddhists and Hindus and so on to have their own.

Crusader Kings II: My Son is the Dalai Lama!!

Yeah I could see it in that scenario easily.

Is it bad that I mostly only care about RoI for a potential fix to Decadence :(

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Has anyone ever managed to get both of the melting pot culture shift events ever? I recently started as Nantes so I could get the Norse->Norman melting pot event and then subjugate my fellow Norse pagans in England for the Norman->English melting pot event later down the line, all the while having Norse religion. Things were actually going pretty well (I got the Norman culture flip event, managed to grab the entire Duchy of Normandy from the French due to some civil-warring and also had Cornwall under my rule) until some Slavic pagans managed to push all the way to Brunswick and trigger Crusades, the first of which was against me. I did the sensible thing and converted to Catholicism.

I feel a bit disappointed now, because I was looking forward to having Norse religion (+200% retinues) combined with English culture for longbow retinues, but I might as well pick it up from here and try to conquer England from the pagans as a Norman Catholic.

Or I guess I could just do what people suggested upthread and play a Norse pagan in Britain and flip to Welsh culture. I just really like the melting pot events.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I'm nearly there for the conversion, 1 more lifetime and it'll be the right time for Anglo-Saxon -> English conversion.

I started out as a Yngling rather than Nantes though, and expanded my way out, being careful to cultivate the Norman culture.
Keeping my vassals happy is going to be a bitch, since Norse -> Norman is a culture group change, so all my Scandinavian vassals hated me.

This is going to be a problem later, since after English happens, I'll be converting Norman -> English, which will be yet another culture group shift, so even converting all the existing vassals to Norman wouldn't be enough.

Add to that I've been on Gavelkind for 200 years, inheritance is pretty stressful; I had to create a bunch of kingdoms just to keep eveyone happy for 1 generation.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

How come people sometimes leave my council? I don't get any message other than the alert that one of my council positions is empty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Parallax Scroll posted:

How come people sometimes leave my council? I don't get any message other than the alert that one of my council positions is empty.

Most likely they got imprisoned. Also possible: you are no longer their liege (vassals of vassals can;t be on your council).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

You can also voluntary leave the council of your liege. For example when you intend to declare a faction/succession war against them and don't want to reside at your enemies court, become imprisoned and lose the war automatically... The first thing I do when people just leave my council is checking if there is a chance they might pull bullshit like that.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
In my republic of Venice game I just lost the election for Doge. Which wasn't a problem as mine was far and away the richest and most militarily powerful of the five families, and I was hoping that I could take advantage of the fact that I was no longer the Doge to steal a bunch of the other trade posts in the gulf of Venice.

For reasons that aren't clear to me, I didn't have an option to declare war on any of the other families for their posts. Does anyone know what determines weather or not you can fight for other peoples posts?

Seeing as I couldn't take the posts from inside the republic, and given that I had a ducal title and way better troop numbers and income than the rest of the republic, I declared an independence war, the Idea being that I could then happily attack Venice for all its trade posts.
I won the war and now have lots of lovely CB's, but for some reason the game has made me a Duke rather than a Doge, there's still a republic screen, and I still have the family mansion, but I'm getting a wrong ruler type penalty on the tax income from all my cities.

I'm going to reload a save from just before declaring war and try handing out all my castles to see if that helps, but in case it doesn't', is there a way I can still be a Doge after the war?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I think you have to plot to take other families' trade posts, via the intrigue menu. And if memory serves you have to be under your trade post limit, though I'm much less certain about that.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
I've never seen an option for plotting to take trade posts, although I have seen the AI plot to seize them when I've been the Doge.
And it might have something to do with the trade post limit, but I know that in the past I've gone way over the limit by taking other peoples posts.
It just seems like there's something really obscure going on.

The whole becoming a duke thing is much more of a pain though, getting a 75% tax penalty is a huge pain.

Edit: It turns out that quitting to the desktop and reloading the save makes me a Doge again.

druthers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

You can also voluntary leave the council of your liege. For example when you intend to declare a faction/succession war against them and don't want to reside at your enemies court, become imprisoned and lose the war automatically... The first thing I do when people just leave my council is checking if there is a chance they might pull bullshit like that.

poo poo, I don't even remember what his name was. There's no message saying "so and so left" so I wouldn't know who to check up on.

Another question: I'm getting a vassal inheritance warning for one of my counts because he's going to inherit a duchy outside my realm. Would granting him a duchy resolve that?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

poo poo, I don't even remember what his name was. There's no message saying "so and so left" so I wouldn't know who to check up on.

Another question: I'm getting a vassal inheritance warning for one of my counts because he's going to inherit a duchy outside my realm. Would granting him a duchy resolve that?

yes and no, he'd remain your vassal but now you'd have some land un-prettying your borders and that is unacceptable.

Also it's usually a bad idea to let vassals get more than one duchy, that's how *you* started, remember?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

yes and no, he'd remain your vassal but now you'd have some land un-prettying your borders and that is unacceptable.

Also it's usually a bad idea to let vassals get more than one duchy, that's how *you* started, remember?

Actually he's set to inherit 2 duchies and 3 counties outside my realm. If I make him a duke now, he'll end up with 3 duchies but greatly expand my borders in the process. I own 5 kingdoms so I think I can squash that and redistribute the titles afterwards.

Also my territory already looks like a leopard print. I haven't noticed any in-game disadvantage to this besides not looking pretty.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 1, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Torrannor posted:

There is an option to leave the council voluntarily, but I thought that the AI would never, ever do that.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Parallax Scroll posted:

Also my territory already looks like a leopard print. I haven't noticed any in-game disadvantage to this besides not looking pretty.
If a county is non-contiguous with the part of your land that contains your capital, it gets a +4% modifier to revolt risk. It can get really annoying.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

If a county is non-contiguous with the part of your land that contains your capital, it gets a +4% modifier to revolt risk. It can get really annoying.

What if my capital's in Dublin? Does Brittany get that +4% because there's water between them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Disco Infiva posted:

It's more or less the same reason -"that's how the Celts (mainly the Scots I think) traditionally decided their kings". Tanistry is better than Gavelkind (your realm will at least stay together) but once you get big you'd better get used to NEVER getting the heir you want, unless you've arranged for a brilliant cousin or two somewhere on the far reaches of the family tree.

• Locked thread