Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

1. Days of Heaven - Haven't seen much Malick, and this one seems interesting enough.

Try this next.

Gun Crazy - I've seen a good string of films recently and this continues the streak. When a couple of gun talents team up they can either entertain crowds or they can rob banks. They take the quick and easy route and begin using their talents on the wrong side of the law.

Annie Starr seems to be in control and she's inclined to shoot people where Barton is not. The couple makes for a more technically proficient and disciplined Bonnie and Clyde. I liked the segment where they first meet and have the gun duel at the carnival.

Also watched:

To Live and Die in L.A. - This was another unique and mostly good experience. There's so many montages and so many amped up chase sequences that it was like watching a music video while guzzling a can of Mountain Dew.

The lead comes across as atypical which goes along with his odd gait. Annoying, coarse and unlikeable are only the beginning of how I'd describe him and due to the numerous and colossal screw-ups (and sayings) of Richard Chance this felt like a comedy for long stretches. I won't detail all his blunders but I nearly died laughing after he'd made ~4-5 gigantic mistakes. It's a comedy of errors played straight and I haven't seen something quite like it. I don't believe humor was the intention and usually when that happens a film has backfired but I can't say that with this one as it goes places I didn't expect culminating with a shotgun to the face.

The main villain was also memorable and able to be taken more seriously. The craftsmanship of his counterfeiting sequence stuck out. I'm definitely going to be watching another Friedkin film soon.

PS I always thought that Danny Glover coined the "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" line in the Lethal Weapon series but it was used here in the same manner.

Star Trek: First Contact - I thought this might be about the Enterprise crew initiating first contact with an alien planet but it's actually a reference to the Vulcans visiting Earth on 4/4/2063. As with part IV I found the time travel aspect to be glossed over. If time travel were this easy you'd think all the advanced species would've rushed back to the beginning of time and planted their stake ad infinitum. A minor quibble I guess.

I'm sure it's been noted before but the Borg reminded me a lot of the Cenobites from the Hellraiser universe. Not only do they have the look but they also fly around in a giant lament configuration. A cube doesn't seem like an aerodynamic design but it's space so maybe it doesn't matter. The Borg Queen exudes sexuality like a dominatrix and offers Data pleasure just as a Cenobite would.

Side notes:

-The highlight was the nightclub segment on the holodeck. I wish more time was spent there with Picard wearing his white suit and unleashing his tommy gun on hapless gangsters.

-The filmmakers really need to stop threatening the destruction of the Enterprise ship. Every other film the ship is blasted or crashes to pieces and they just tack on the next alphabet letter. It's not suspenseful.

-I wonder if Wesley Crusher appears in any of these films.

-The new theme was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoa7oWPPhk

Procrastination (102 completed):

#96 Once Bitten - I'm sick of watching dreary Ebert #1 films. 12/12/13

#100 Departures - A newer entrant to the IMDb top 250. 12/17/13

#104 Johnny Got His Gun - A trepidacious premise. 1/14/14

#106 The Lady Eve - Another that's been on my radar for a few years now. 1/25/14

new #107 Embers AKA Sholay - I've heard this is immensely popular in India. 1/27/14

new #108 Spartacus - Kirk Douglas is nearly 100 years old and I still haven't seen it. The shame never runs out. 1/27/14

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

You Only Live Twice - YOLT not YOLO. 1/14/14

new Star Trek: Insurrection - All I know about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsrjKlEF7aw 1/27/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (34/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

1982 Sophie's Choice - I think I know the ending of this but I'm not even sure. 1/11/14

Jurgan posted:

This is probably Burton's best.

Ever seen Pee-wee's Big Adventure?

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
e; I accidentally deleted my review of Days of Heaven from here. Cliff notes version: If you like period pieces, watch it, it's beautiful in every sense of the word.

1. The Naked Kiss -
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. The Trial - A Welles courtroom drama? I don't know why I haven't seen this
4. The Exterminating Angel - I have never seen any Bunuel
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Man Bites Dog - Heard the title on several occasions and the summary sounds interesting enough.
7. Pickpocket - I like Italian neo-realism , and I'm getting that vibe from this movie?
8. Stagecoach - Guess this will be my western spot on the list
9. Hopscotch - Never heard of this until I stumbled across it on Criterion.
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 31, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Let us know how 'Johnny Got His Gun' is, Zogo! I have been interested in this one for a while now myself.

It'd get an instant recommendation from me now. Try Hoop Dreams next.

I'm on a spree.

Johnny Got His Gun - A writer (I forget who) once said something like "the trick of good writing is to have your main character always on the move and in a hurry." Well, Dalton Trumbo turns that notion on its head.

This is about the worst predicament I could imagine for someone. Joe is involved in WWI and survives some kind of artillery attack. When he awakes he gradually experiences waves of sheer terror realizing he has no arms, no legs, no eyes, no tongue and no ears. Almost complete sensory deprivation. It's not gory at all but with the narration of Joe's tortured mind it ends up being about as gruesome as they come.

The film goes back and forth between hospital scenes (all in B/W) and pre-casualty scenes and hallucinations (all in color). The premise is simple but incredible. The dialogue and stories shown in the flashbacks are memorable and significant. The hallucinations are disturbing and fleetingly reach perverse levels of humor a few times. With each passing segment I was more entranced wondering just how bad this would get for Joe and it got worse right through the credits.

My lavish praise can only convey so much. Luckily, it's on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuMKyooHX7E

"I'm the boss, this is champagne, merrrrrrrry Christmas!"

Also watched:

Star Trek: Insurrection - I sure have been marathoning through this series. This is #9 and I'm finding these have more variety and intrigue than the Bond series. These TNG films have been more stand-alone than TOS films.

The opening sequence had me guessing as to what was going on. Data appears to be on the fritz and is attacking other Starfleet members.

The main plot brings forward a familiar ethical dilemma. In the second film Spock states “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Picard seems to take the opposing viewpoint in that he sides with the 600 inhabitants of the quasi-utopian society of the Ba'ku. They live on a planet that gives them vitality and regenerative health in perpetuity. The Son'a however are a small group of people who are terminal and need a high dose of the magical metaphasic particles (the process would destroy the planet). Something's got to give of course. We eventually learn that the Son'a are actually Ba'ku who rebelled and have aged naturally.

In my book Ru'afo (F. Murray Abraham) goes down as one of the more memorable adversaries of the entire film series. Although I'm still waiting for Armus to get his own film.

Side notes:

-The humor in this one seemed off and stilted.

-If I were Picard I would've just retired and lived on that planet with Anij. But then we wouldn't have film #10!

Procrastination (103 completed):

#96 Once Bitten - I'm sick of watching dreary Ebert #1 films. 12/12/13

#106 The Lady Eve - Another that's been on my radar for a few years now. 1/25/14

#107 Embers AKA Sholay - I've heard this is immensely popular in India. 1/27/14

#108 Spartacus - Kirk Douglas is nearly 100 years old and I still haven't seen it. The shame never runs out. 1/27/14

new #109 Man with a Movie Camera - Heard good things about this. 1/29/14

new #110 The Word AKA Ordet - It's high on the TSPDT list. 1/29/14

1982 Sophie's Choice - I think I know the ending of this but I'm not even sure. 1/11/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 30, 2014

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Once Bitten feels like a great comedy option, so go with that.

OK. I've been away from this thread for far too long, but I did just start up a new job so I guess there's that. I finally found some time to watch Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress and I was not at all disappointed. It's cool to see some of echoes of Kurosawa's work; songs that hold meaning to characters, judgement shots the end with the two peasants awaiting their fate, that kind of stuff.

Definitely a lighter tale than usual for Kurosawa, but a fun and compelling one with very good comic relief and the typical visually striking camera work I have come to expect from his movies.

It did take its time in spots, perhaps a little unnecessarily so, but apart from that, this was a very good film.

8.5/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. Time Bandits - Probably not one of the most important films to see, but it looks like a good time!

3. Dear Zachary - I've heard this will make me cry, that's all I know.

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. Magnificent Seven - I've started it so many time and every time I have, it was a bad time (recovering from surgery, being incredibly tired...). Anyway, I really want to see it, The Great Escape is my favorite movie of all time so I'm sure I'll love it.

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. The Fly - Love me some Jeff Goldblum, not quite sure how I missed this.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. *NEW* Before Sunrise *NEW* - Heard good things about the "before" trilogy, happy to start it up!

10. Pleasantville - I know it's in black and white and is some kind of period piece? I think? Seems like the less I know going in, the better.

83 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Chili posted:

5. Magnificent Seven - I've started it so many time and every time I have, it was a bad time (recovering from surgery, being incredibly tired...). Anyway, I really want to see it, The Great Escape is my favorite movie of all time so I'm sure I'll love it.

Enjoy.

---

Psycho

This was quite an experience. I knew about the famous shower scene of course, but I didn't know there was nearly an hour of footage before that. It's interesting how Psycho starts out as an almost light-hearted crime thriller and then gradually tranforms into a horror film. It plays quite a bit with the audience's expectations by frequently switching viewpoints and constantly offering another twist, but the progression is so natural that it never comes off as cheap. What ties the whole experience together is the character of Norman Bates. Anthony Perkins gives a tremendous performance, finding just the right balance between nice young boy and unhinged madman. Even before you see the true extent of his madness you get the sense that there's just something off about him. And the final shot of him looking at the camera is one of the most horrifying images I've seen in a film.

Of course I couldn't talk about the film without mentioning Hitchcock's brilliant directing. I don't know how much Psycho cost to make, but I'd imagine its budget was significantly smaller than the one of its predecessor, North by Northwest. Hitchcock however manages to turn this into advantage by focussing mostly on smaller setpieces and character interactions. The camera is often uncomfortably close to the subject matter, invoking a strong sense of claustrophobia. The use of lighting is perfect and the editing is up there with the best I've ever seen. The murder scenes are particularly brilliantly staged. They aren't very graphic by modern standards but the disorienting cuts combined with the terrific score still manage to make your hair stand on end. Eschewing any special effects also means that Psycho looks a lot less dated than some of Hitchcocks other works. It's a film that holds up very well in every regard and is just as tense now as it must have been 50 years ago.

There is one scene that didn't do much for me and it's the psychiatrist explaining Norman's behaviour at the very end. It's well-written and -acted but it feels a bit superfluous. Once we get to see Norman's mother we can easily piece together the rest of the story ourselves so there isn't really a need for the film to explicitly spell it out. Then again, the whole concept of split personalities was probably not as well-known in the sixties as it is today, so contemporary audiences might have appreciated the explanation more than I did.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. Stagecoach (1939) - Orson Welles called this the perfect textbook of film making, and I'm not going to argue with Orson loving Welles.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. (new) Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

6. Mad Max (1979) - I love the Fallout series, so it seems only right to watch the film that inspired them.

7. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972) - I want to know if this film is even half as crazy as the stories about its production.

8. City Lights (1931) - One of the few Chaplins I haven't seen yet.

9. Tangled (2010) - Frozen was one of my personal favourites from 2013 and this one is supposedly quite similar.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960)

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samuel Clemens posted:

There is one scene that didn't do much for me and it's the psychiatrist explaining Norman's behaviour at the very end. It's well-written and -acted but it feels a bit superfluous. Once we get to see Norman's mother we can easily piece together the rest of the story ourselves so there isn't really a need for the film to explicitly spell it out. Then again, the whole concept of split personalities was probably not as well-known in the sixties as it is today, so contemporary audiences might have appreciated the explanation more than I did.

Everyone hates that scene. The explanation I heard from my drama teacher was that Hitchcock was deliberately parodying psychiatrists (I guess they had a reputation for being long-winded and pompous), but I've never seen any corroboration of that claim elsewhere.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

The timing of this is absolutely perfect. I literally just got home from taking my best friend through The Great Escape. It'll be fun to follow it up with M7.

edit; why is lit-erally figuratively now? :wtc:

Chili fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 31, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jurgan posted:

Everyone hates that scene. The explanation I heard from my drama teacher was that Hitchcock was deliberately parodying psychiatrists (I guess they had a reputation for being long-winded and pompous), but I've never seen any corroboration of that claim elsewhere.

I just got the sense that it was 1960, the public didn't know very much about psychotics, and Hitchcock didn't want anyone to think Norman was a transvestite.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jurgan posted:

Ain't true. You gotta remember Psycho was the first movie of its kind and one of the first real encounters between pop culture and psychoanalysis. That stuff genuinely did need to be explained to a lot of the audience.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Samuel Clemens- You have some good stuff on your list, but I'll say go with Mad Max. It is a good time and seems like it goes by quick. If you enjoy the first one at all, you should follow it with Mad Max 2 (Which I actually liked more). Beyond Thunderdome seems to be pretty iconic too

Hoop Dreams had been on my radar for a while, but as someone that doesn't care for sports the material never sounded very intriguing to me. I can now say I misjudged it and that this documentary encompasses so much more.
The film begins with both men still full of boyish optimism and dreams of making it big in the NBA. Over the next three hours we watch them literally grow into men and the struggles they face along the way. It is remarkable that a documentary that feels so short can convey such an intimate look at inner city life, poverty, the exploitative nature of college sports recruiting and the difficulty of growing up in the middle of all of it. If it would have lasted another 3 hours and followed them through college I would have gladly kept watching. A great documentary.

1. The Naked Kiss -
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Man Bites Dog - Heard the title on several occasions and the summary sounds interesting enough.
7. Pickpocket - I like Italian neo-realism , and I'm getting that vibe from this movie?
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Try this next.

Dr.Caligari posted:

e; I accidentally deleted my review of Days of Heaven from here. Cliff notes version: If you like period pieces, watch it, it's beautiful in every sense of the word.

I had an old window open:

"Let us know how 'Johnny Got His Gun' is, Zogo! I have been interested in this one for a while now myself.

Days of Heaven was a beautiful movie in every sense. I think it was kind of cheated by it's 90 minute run time. The first 2/3rds gained strong momentum, and at times it felt as if the last part had trouble bringing the movie to an equally strong ending. I would have liked to seen it go for at least 120 minutes.

I also watched The Baron of Arizona. After watching The Steel Helmet and White Dog, I wanted to explore more Sam Fuller and this didn't disappoint. Vincent Price delivers a slam dunk performance in a story that is about as interesting as it comes. Highly recommended if you like Fuller, Price or just a good story."

Once Bitten - It's a silly comedy with a lot of filler and it'd make a fitting companion piece with Teen Wolf which was released a few months prior in the same year.

Lauren Hutton plays a vampire who needs to collect the blood of virgins to sustain her youthful beauty. Jim Carrey plays the hapless virgin who isn't entirely on board with this scheme.

It has its moments but at times it felt like a thirty minute film stretched to ninety minutes.

Procrastination (104 completed):

#108 Spartacus - Kirk Douglas is nearly 100 years old and I still haven't seen it. The shame never runs out. 1/27/14

#109 Man with a Movie Camera - Heard good things about this. 1/29/14

#110 The Word AKA Ordet - It's high on the TSPDT list. 1/29/14

new #111 Boogie Nights - I remember people talking about this one a lot back when it was released. 1/31/14

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Gonna be that guy and pick your newest addition, go check out Boogie Nights. To be fair, it's the only one I've seen and I did enjoy it. Oh and it has Nina Hartley in it, so I really shouldn't be bothering with any sort of justification.

Magnificent Seven was a lot of fun. It wasn't anything groundbreaking but it was enjoyable. I didn't really care for how much some of the things were telegraphed in advanced Bernardo's fate in particular kind of bothered me.

But yeah, how can you really go wrong with a cast like this? This movie was tee-ball and if was any worse than it was, it would have been huge crime.

Still, pretty drat good.

8/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. Time Bandits - Probably not one of the most important films to see, but it looks like a good time!

3. Dear Zachary - I've heard this will make me cry, that's all I know.

5. *NEW* The Last Starfighter *NEW* - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Before Sunrise - Heard good things about the "before" trilogy, happy to start it up!

10. Pleasantville - I know it's in black and white and is some kind of period piece? I think? Seems like the less I know going in, the better.

84 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Chili, don't read any more about it and get yourself a box of tissues, it's Dear Zachary for you.

I literally don't know how to review The Exterminating Angels. I've been thinking about it since I finished it, and I feel there was a lot of things that were going on that I missed. For some reason the mirror on the wall seemed to stick out to me, and I was waiting for it to become involved somehow. Now I'm thinking that it was just me seeing faces in the clouds, so to say. I can already tell this is a movie I will be processing about for a day or two, which earns it a thumbs up from me.

1. I shot Jesse James - The last movie I haven't seen in the Fuller Eclipse boxset
4. Viridiana - Now that I have had a taste for Bunuel, I want more.
7. Letter Never Sent - I caught the first 15 minutes of this and have been meaning to finish it

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 1, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Dr.Caligari posted:

Chili, don't read any more about it and get yourself a box of tissues, it's Dear Zachary for you.

I literally don't know how to review The Exterminating Angels. I've been thinking about it since I finished it, and I feel there was a lot of things that were going on that I missed. For some reason the mirror on the wall seemed to stick out to me, and I was waiting for it to become involved somehow. Now I'm thinking that it was just me seeing faces in the clouds, so to say. I can already tell this is a movie I will be processing about for a day or two, which earns it a thumbs up from me.

1. I shot Jesse James - The last movie I haven't seen in the Fuller Eclipse boxset
7. Letter Never Sent - I caught the first 15 minutes of this and have been meaning to finish it

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel

The other day I mentioned to my dad that I'd never seen Apocalypse Now before, and he literally stopped what he was doing to put it on and watch it in all it's trippy glory. It was a cool experience, and I'm glad to find there's a whole thread in here about enabling that kind of movie discovery.

Unfortunately for Dr. Caligari, I haven't seen or even heard of any of those movies, so you get to watch Hopscotch because it'll be a surprise for both of us.

My list of shame:
1. Anything by Stanley Kubrick I've seen The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, and nothing else. How am I even allowed to be an adult?
2. Literally anything by Akira Kurosawa I like movies quite a bit and have successfully evaded his entire oeuvre, how the gently caress does that even, I mean really,
3. Schindler's List No real reason for it, just never watched it.
4. Anything by Woody Allen I've only seen Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which was better than Match Point.
5. Synecdoche, New York Being John Malkovich and Adaptation are two of my favorite movies of all time. I own Synecdoche. The dvd is right there on my shelf where it's been since the day it came out. gently caress you, Synecdoche, six years in and I'm still not watching you.
6. Literally anything by David Lynch The only Lynch I've seen was when he guested on Louie.
7. Inglorious Basterds The only Tarantino I haven't seen (unless you count True Romance I guess.) I'm just bitching out on this because I don't want to watch scalping scenes.
8. Anything at all by Ingmar Bergman Roger Ebert is my film critic hero, his tastes line up with my own 90% of the time and yet no matter how much I read him fellating Bergman in reviews of other movies I just never take the time to give the guy a shot.
9. Ditto for Werner Herzog. Never seen a single frame of anything he's ever done.
10. Freddy Got Fingered A straight up comedy option. You can either pick something great out of the list above, or if my post rubbed you the wrong way you can make me watch a lovely Tom Green vehicle that I don't want to watch.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Freddy Got Fingered is a legitimately good movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What a list

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012
See what you think about Bergman's The Virgin Spring.

The Steel Helmet was a really impressive and intelligent low-budget war movie. I think Shock Corridor and Pickup on South Street are better movies by Fuller but this was still very good.

1. Inception (2010)
2. Dr. Mabuse - Der Spieler (1922)
3. Atlantic City (1980)
4. Band of Outsiders (1964)
5. An Affair to Remember (1957)
6. Pather Panchali (1955)
7. Ossessione (1943)
8. The Black Cat (1934)
9. The Big Sky (1952)
10. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

De-shamed: The Red Shoes, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Steel Helmet

HonkyDong fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 2, 2014

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

HonkyDong, Dr. Mabuse is on my list of silent movies to see. You get to see it first.

The Gold Rush. This was a good movie. Chaplin was on top of his game in this movie. Loved the cinematography from this early film.

My List:
Patton - George C. Scott is a very underrated actor. Was great in The Hustler and A Christmas Carol.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

Metrolpolis - I know this is a science fiction movie from the 20's, but that is all.

Enter the Dragon - Like Errol Flynn until recently, never saw a Bruce Lee movie either.

Horse Feathers - Time for another Marx Brothers movie.

Despicable Me

The Bad Sleep Well - Having just seen Kurosawa's version of MacBeth, his version of Hamlet is next.

The King and I - 1956 version.

The Wolf Man - Next in my monster movie queue.

Rear Window - I think I may have seen this when I was a kid, but I really don't remember it.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Crunk Abortion posted:

My list of shame:
1. Anything by Stanley Kubrick I've seen The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, and nothing else. How am I even allowed to be an adult?
2. Literally anything by Akira Kurosawa I like movies quite a bit and have successfully evaded his entire oeuvre, how the gently caress does that even, I mean really,
3. Schindler's List No real reason for it, just never watched it.
4. Anything by Woody Allen I've only seen Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which was better than Match Point.
5. Synecdoche, New York Being John Malkovich and Adaptation are two of my favorite movies of all time. I own Synecdoche. The dvd is right there on my shelf where it's been since the day it came out. gently caress you, Synecdoche, six years in and I'm still not watching you.
6. Literally anything by David Lynch The only Lynch I've seen was when he guested on Louie.
7. Inglorious Basterds The only Tarantino I haven't seen (unless you count True Romance I guess.) I'm just bitching out on this because I don't want to watch scalping scenes.
8. Anything at all by Ingmar Bergman Roger Ebert is my film critic hero, his tastes line up with my own 90% of the time and yet no matter how much I read him fellating Bergman in reviews of other movies I just never take the time to give the guy a shot.
9. Ditto for Werner Herzog. Never seen a single frame of anything he's ever done.
10. Freddy Got Fingered A straight up comedy option. You can either pick something great out of the list above, or if my post rubbed you the wrong way you can make me watch a lovely Tom Green vehicle that I don't want to watch.

Do you have any vacation time saved up?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

No, but I have Monday-Wednesday off and Netflix.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Dmitri Russkie - Metropolis

Hopscotch was all Walter Mathau, without him this movie would have been just another flop. For such a light comedy Ned Beatty's language kind of surprised me. I think they might have lost a good part of there audience by doing that.

9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 3, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Dmitri Russkie - Metropolis

Hopscotch was all Walter Mathau, without him this movie would have been just another flop. For such a light comedy Ned Beatty's language kind of surprised me. I think they might have lost a good part of there audience by doing that.

9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch

Dmitri Russkie: Do yourself a favor and seek out the latest version from 2010. It has a whole reel of footage added back in that had been missing for decades. It's on Netflix Instant as Metropolis Restored. A great watch.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

This description sounds like me, where I never get real excited to watch a Western, but I'll end up loving it whenever I do.

Grand Illusion
For all the praise I've seen thrown at this film, I don't know how it could've lived up to whatever expectations I had going in. Something just didn't click with me, and the film only began to work during the last 1/3rd of the film. I was left cold throughout most of it. Perhaps a combination of war films not being my favourite genre, characters of a different time & place that were difficult to relate to, and Renoir's constant quick fading out from scene to scene all added up to me not caring a whole lot. Maybe I just missed something?

LIST

The Bride of Frankenstein **new** (2014.02.03) - time to dig into my Universal Monsters set!

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Eastern Promises (2014.01.02) - a newer film and one I've been meaning to watch since it came out.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add now.

Ikiru (2013.12.03) - more Kurosawa!

It Happened One Night (2014.01.05) - all I know is that it's the first movie to win all 5 big Oscar categories.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Player (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

The Taste of Cherry **oldest** (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), [Total:61]

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

friendo55 posted:

Ikiru (2013.12.03) - more Kurosawa!

I haven't seen anything on your list, so Kurosawa it is!

Solaris: This took a while to get going. I'm having trouble figuring out why we were treated to the montage of a character in traffic on his way home. The slow pace (and it's a really slow pace) works to the movie's benefit once we get to see what's going on at the station, though. It dragged again a little when everyone sat down to discuss philosophy in the library, though.

Watching the three researchers try to grapple with the Guests in their own ways was engrossing. I like that Tarkovsky didn't feel the need to reveal much about Snaut and Sartorious' Guests beyond hints, which really furthered the way they responded to their own guilt. Seeing Sartorious' "jackass emotionless scientist" facade briefly melt away once he's alone with his son's toy ball near the end did so much more for his characterization than any exposition or flashback could have.

My Shame List:

1) Triumph of the Will: Super influential Nazi propaganda? Seems like I should watch this just to keep an eye out for people using its techniques. (added 3/20/13)

2) The Graduate: Know the meme, see the movie! (added 7/26/13)

3) Days of Heaven: Never seen a Malick movie. This was strongly recommended to me since I really liked Upstream Color. (added 10/27/13)

4) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot. (added 12/7/13)

5) The Fly: The Cronenberg one. (added 1/4/14)

6) Total Recall (1990): I hear there's somewhere my rear end should be getting. (added 1/4/14)

7) La Dolce Vita: 8 1/2 was good. How about another Fellini? (added 1/4/14)

8) Galaxy Quest: Star Trek in all but name? (added 1/4/14)

9) Chinatown: Jack Nicholson deals with some pretty screwed up stuff. That's all I know. (added 1/11/14)

10) Children of Men: Don't know much about this one. (added 2/4/14)

De-Shamed (42) [Top 5 6 in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Drive, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Unbreakable, Lost Highway, Man with a Movie Camera, The General, Dog Day Afternoon, Forbidden Planet, Solaris

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nolanar posted:

1) Triumph of the Will: Super influential Nazi propaganda? Seems like I should watch this just to keep an eye out for people using its techniques. (added 3/20/13)

Know thy enemy.

---

Dr.Caligari posted:

Samuel Clemens- You have some good stuff on your list, but I'll say go with Mad Max. It is a good time and seems like it goes by quick. If you enjoy the first one at all, you should follow it with Mad Max 2 (Which I actually liked more). Beyond Thunderdome seems to be pretty iconic too

I managed to get my hands on the entire trilogy (God bless public libraries) and watched it over the last few days, so it seems only right that I review all three films.

Mad Max

For a franchise which set the standard for a lot of post-apocalyptic works, the original Mad Max is a surprisingly low-key affair. Aside from the weak representation of the law enforcement there aren't any signs of society crumbling. Most people seem to get on just fine with their lives and the fuel shortage that drives the entire plot of the sequel is never even brought up. With a few minor adjustments this could easily have been a US cop film.

What sets it apart from the bulk of action films are the vehicle sequences. They're tense and have a sense of rawness to them that provides a very authentic feel. The stunt work is great and the effects hold up extremely well for a 35 year old film made with a low budget. Mel Gibson does an alright job as the titular Max but the real highlight is the villainous biker gang, which straddles the line between eccentric and horrifying.

Even so you can tell that this was George Miller's first work as a director. The editing feels a bit disjointed at times, not necessarily in the scenes themselves but between segments. What really threw me off was the pacing. After the death of Max' wife and son I expected a large third act but instead the film is nearly finished by this point and the entire conflict is hastily resolved. Max' buddies in the police force just disappear without being mentioned again and the actual ending is almost shockingly abrupt. Still, if the biggest criticism you can think of for a film is that it should have gone on for longer, then you don't have much reason to complain.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

I'm glad I decided to watch the trilogy in chronological order, because I wouldn't have appreciated Mad Max nearly as much if I had watched it after The Road Warrior. This film takes all the good aspects of the first instalment and combines them with a very unique visual style. Having played the Fallout games first, it was fun to watch this and see how many elements they borrowed, right down to the black-and-white intro narration.

It's interesting how, despite taking place mostly in a very small location, the scale feels much larger than it did in the original film. I think this is mostly due to the care and attention to detail that went into the creation of the oil rig. Small things like using a bus as a makeshift gate or the walls essentially being stacks of tires give it a very distinct look and convey what a desperate place the wasteland is. Mel Gibson reprises his role from the first film but once again he's overshadowed by the supporting cast. The gyrocoper pilot in particular was a joy to watch and provides some welcome comedic relief to a film which is otherwise a very grim affair.

The obvious highlight of The Road Warrior is the truck chase which is easily one of the best action scenes I've ever seen. It's an amazing setpiece made up of many great individual moments and featuring some absolutely stunning stuntwork. There's a clear sense of progression to it and despite the tense editing you never feel disoriented. And unlike in Mad Max I thought the ending here was pretty much perfect. It's the classic Western ending, with the hero setting off into the sunset by himself after saving the townsfolk from the evil bandits.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderome

One of the great aspects of watching the trilogy back to back is seeing George Miller refine his style and mature as a director. This is definitely the most beautiful of the three films; there's a lot of great shots both of the desert wasteland and the two settlements. Bartertown looks phenomenal, especially during the night. And the fight at the titular Thunderdome is perfectly executed. Tina Turner is fantastic; I was initially worried that having such a well-known star appear would kind of overshadow her actual role, but given how almost everyone in the Mad Max world is a larger-than-life character she fits right in. It's a shame she didn't get all that much screentime, but she makes the most of it and her interactions with Masterblaster (who has both the best name and the best design in the series) are fun.

Beyond Thunderdome's biggest problem is that it's kind of sprawling in parts. The Road Warrior was great because it told a very simple story set in a single location and then made the most of it. There's a lot more going on in this film, which leads to it being unfocused in parts. The middle in particular drags on for a bit. I didn't actually mind the introduction of the child tribe as they provide a nice contrast to the more industrialized Bartertown and flesh out the wasteland setting a bit more, but their appereance does mess up the pacing. Beyond Thunderdome is also noticeably more light-hearted than its predecessors, which isn't a bad thing necessarily but it makes it harder to create tension. The train chase is a good example of this; technically it's just as accomplished as the finale from The Road Warrior, but it doesn't have the same gravitas to it. Even so this is a very fun film and a satisfying conclusion to the story of Max.

Overall I'm glad I watched the entire trilogy. Not only because they're good films on their own but because it was fun to see the franchise evolve over time. It's also nice to see Max' character arc over the course of the series. We see him lose his humanity in the first film and slowly regain it over the course of the following two instalments. I think my favourite aspect of the franchise as a whole is the design of the characters and locations. The films have a very distinct visual style and it's easy to see why they became so iconic. Even minor characters manage to stay in your memory thanks to their unique look.

As for the individual films I'd say that Mad Max is definitely the weakest one. It's enjoyable, but somewhat rough around the edges and not as unique as the sequels. The Road Warrior on the other hand is basically perfect. There's not a wasted minute here, it's an incredible experience from start to finish. Beyond Thunderdome isn't quite on the same level, but it's so much fun to watch that I really have no reason to complain.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. Stagecoach (1939) - Orson Welles called this the perfect textbook of film making, and I'm not going to argue with Orson loving Welles.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

6. (new) 1776 (1972) - I'm not American, but I do enjoy a good musical.

7. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972) - I want to know if this film is even half as crazy as the stories about its production.

8. City Lights (1931) - One of the few Chaplins I haven't seen yet.

9. Tangled (2010) - Frozen was one of my personal favourites from 2013 and this one is supposedly quite similar.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Samuel Clemens, you get one of my all-time favorite films, Aguirre, the Wrath of God.

Going into Close-Up, I had absolutely no idea what it was about. I was surprised by its mesh of documentary and narrative film, the daring choice to cast everybody as themselves. I wasn't sure if the courtroom sequences were recreations or actual documentary or not, but Kiarostami managed to make a man telling a story captivating. I can see myself appreciating this more and more as time goes on. Definitely a strong way to step into Kiarostami, who I'd certainly like to see more of now.

My List:

The Goddess (1934) - I've been watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey and it does a good job at bringing light to some foreign classics that have been almost entirely ignored by the West. I've never seen a Chinese film from this era and it apparently has some early naturalistic film acting. (Added 7/3/2013)

The Lady Eve (1941) - I picked up the book "Cinematic Mythmaking" by Irving Singer because it looked really good. However, the essays in it tend to focus on single films and this is one of them. I'd like to go through a few of them before I crack into the book. (Added 7/31/2013)

Begotten (1991) - Supposedly one of the most nightmarishly unsettling films of all time. Well, I'll give it a go. (Added 12/17/2013)

The Beaver Trilogy (2001) - We were supposed to show this at the theater I work at with the director in person, but it got cancelled for whatever reason. Anyway, since finding out about it my interest is peaked. Technically three films in one. (Added 12/17/2013)

Black Jesus (1968) - But what about Black Santa? :haw: (Added 12/17/2013)

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Grey Gardens (1975) - Everything I've heard about this makes it sound absolutely insane. Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite documentaries so I should see some more stuff by the Maysles. (Added 12/24/2013)

Hell's Angels (1930) - Been wanting to watch this ever since I saw The Aviator. The images from this looked amazing in that film, and this was apparently one of Kubrick's personal favorites. (Added 1/1/2014)

Fort Apache (1948) - The first in John Ford's Calvary trilogy. (Added 1/2/2014)

All About Eve (1950) - This Eve sure is a popular one, eh? (Added 2/4/2014)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up (TOTAL: 75)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Take a break from the usual and (try to) enjoy Begotten . You have some good stuff on your list, TrixRabbi. I see you like Maysles documentaries, have you seen Salesmen? I think it's there best work, and I urge you to see it if you haven't.

friendo55 posted:

This description sounds like me, where I never get real excited to watch a Western, but I'll end up loving it whenever I do.
You nailed it, and Stagecoach was no exception. It may actually be a perfect western. It has everything you expect a western to feature, and does each of them very well, even the love story was touching. I found each character to be interesting in there own way. John Ford has a way of filling the screen with a lot of sky, so you get a sense of just how huge the desert is.

What was up with Hatfield putting the gun to Mrs. Mallory's head during the Indian attack? A mercy killing?Maybe I wasn't paying as close attention I should have been, but that part caught me off guard.

I also watched Letter Never Sent. This is a beautifully shot picture where the director lets nature be the star actor. In every environment you can almost feel what its like to be there.

7. Touch of Evil - This is an actual shameful one.
8. The Wild Bunch - I'm only half way thru AFI's top 10 westerns.
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939)

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 5, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

Overall I'm glad I watched the entire trilogy. Not only because they're good films on their own but because it was fun to see the franchise evolve over time.

It's an interesting trilogy. They're all directed by Miller but you wouldn't think it because each film has a different flavor. I saw Mad Max at a young enough age that I didn't have any issues with the abrupt ending but it seems like everyone I've watched it with always mentions that. I liked the score of part 3 the most. They were actually going to make a fourth film about ten years back but due to the US invading Iraq it was cancelled.

Dr.Caligari posted:

What was up with Hatfield putting the gun to Mrs. Mallory's head during the Indian attack? A mercy killing?Maybe I wasn't paying as close attention I should have been, but that part caught me off guard.

You don't want to be taken captive by savages was the thing to take away from that. Kind of like how in Alien and Aliens the prisoners are begging to be killed.

Nolanar posted:

Solaris: This took a while to get going. I'm having trouble figuring out why we were treated to the montage of a character in traffic on his way home.

Are you talking about the relaxing 4.5 minute drive in the car with no dialogue?

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think it is time to finish off that boxset.

1.The Road: I feel like this movie is going to get really depressing really quick, so I never feel like watching it.
2.Yojimbo: I really enjoy Kurosawa films, and especially his samurai stuff. But I some how just never watched this one. Weird.
3.Day of the Dead: I've seen countless clips, reviews, and highlights from this film, but never seen the film its self.
4.Ben-Hur: I...have no excuse.
5.Lawrence of Arabia: I've been told this movie has a rather slow pace, and that scares me about it.
6.Fist of Fury a.k.aThe Chinese Connection: I really enjoy Bruce Lee and martial art films, but this one has been under my radar for some reason...
7.The Raid: Redemption: I've been told this movie is an explosion of awesome action and bad acting. It sounds like it could be awesome...but it also sounds like it could be bad...So I never got around to watching it.

:iiam:

RushJet fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 6, 2014

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zogo posted:

Are you talking about the relaxing 4.5 minute drive in the car with no dialogue?

Yeah. I almost thought I'd wandered back into Koyaanisqatsi for a minute.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Rushjet, watch Yojimbo.

I first learned about Begotten about five or six years ago when I was still in high school, but never had access to it. Apparently the director has never felt it was suitable to be released on home video, because VHS or DVD can't capture the feeling that seeing the movie on film in a theater evokes. The version I watched was not great quality, although I found it fair. But maybe the director (E. Elias Mehrige) was right about this, because Begotten was sold to me as one of the most disturbing films ever made. Instead, it felt like a bunch of dudes in hoods dumping pudding on each other for an hour.

Maybe it was the format, or maybe I'm just past this kind of experimental film. But I do tend to like this kind of stuff. But Begotten isn't as compelling of a story as Eraserhead; and it doesn't pack as much of a disturbing gut-punch as Antichrist. It feels more like a student film with some particularly exceptional cinematography.

All in all I'm just disappointed. It was something I had been looking forward to for a long time, and it just left me cold.

Also, Dr. Caligari - I have not seen Salesman, but I've been aware of it for a long while. I actually have a notepad file with a list of movies for me to add to this list, and I just go down it in order. I know Salesman is on there somewhere so eventually I'll get around to it. The only Maysles film I've seen is Gimme Shelter, which I adore.

My List:

The Goddess (1934) - I've been watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey and it does a good job at bringing light to some foreign classics that have been almost entirely ignored by the West. I've never seen a Chinese film from this era and it apparently has some early naturalistic film acting. (Added 7/3/2013)

The Lady Eve (1941) - I picked up the book "Cinematic Mythmaking" by Irving Singer because it looked really good. However, the essays in it tend to focus on single films and this is one of them. I'd like to go through a few of them before I crack into the book. (Added 7/31/2013)

The Beaver Trilogy (2001) - We were supposed to show this at the theater I work at with the director in person, but it got cancelled for whatever reason. Anyway, since finding out about it my interest is peaked. Technically three films in one. (Added 12/17/2013)

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Grey Gardens (1975) - Everything I've heard about this makes it sound absolutely insane. Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite documentaries so I should see some more stuff by the Maysles. (Added 12/24/2013)

Hell's Angels (1930) - Been wanting to watch this ever since I saw The Aviator. The images from this looked amazing in that film, and this was apparently one of Kubrick's personal favorites. (Added 1/1/2014)

The Apartment (1960) - Classic Billy Wilder, Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine - It IS shameful I haven't seen this. (Added 2/5/2014)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten (TOTAL: 76)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

I first learned about Begotten about five or six years ago when I was still in high school, but never had access to it. Apparently the director has never felt it was suitable to be released on home video, because VHS or DVD can't capture the feeling that seeing the movie on film in a theater evokes. The version I watched was not great quality, although I found it fair. But maybe the director (E. Elias Mehrige) was right about this, because Begotten was sold to me as one of the most disturbing films ever made. Instead, it felt like a bunch of dudes in hoods dumping pudding on each other for an hour.

Begotten was released on DVD. I watched it about 10 years ago. But it's been OOP for years.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Go with The Goddess, Rabbi, as it's been on your list the longest and I'm not terribly aware of anything else on your list.

Dear Zachary: My job has me somewhat desensitized to monsters. I clean up the messes of monsters every day.

The story is of course a tragic one, but what makes it meaningful are the good people throughout the film.

I did experience a lot of emotion while watching the film. While hate was one of them, beauty was a much stronger one.

The way we choose to honor the fallen, to make sure that their stories are told... it's just beautiful, there's no other word for it.

This is why we make films. I can't honestly think of a better reason.

-/10

Edit: ACTUALLY

It's now been a couple of hours since I've finished this and I'm not sure if I feel the same way. I don't think this kind of movie should really get a "score". Also, I'm feeling a little bit odd about this. Maybe this really shouldn't have been shown to everyone? I don't know, it's too spoilery to get into here.

New List

3. *NEW* The Rules of the Game *NEW* - I don't know what's wrong with me.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

9. Before Sunrise - Heard good things about the "before" trilogy, happy to start it up!

85 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 6, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I was going to let someone else pick for you this time, but guess I will go again. With that, try The Fly

I shot Jesse James was an ok movie. I think John Ireland did a good job as Robert Ford. It's interesting that Sam Fuller said he wanted to make this movie because he thought Robert Ford did the right thing, although I didn't really get that vibe from watching. Overall it's just not a story I'm too interested in, and unsurprisingly, The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford is better, even though it does make Jesse James into more of a sympathetic character.

In excitement for the new Godzilla I also watched the original, Japanese Godzilla and drat, what a good movie. I always brushed the franchise off as something goofy. The original isn't so at all. Very good.

1. The Pianist - Been on my watchlist for years.
7. Touch of Evil - This is an actual shameful one.
8. The Wild Bunch - I'm only half way thru AFI's top 10 westerns.
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dr. Caligari - I don't know if you're joking about The Trial being a courtroom drama or not (it's a Kafka adaptation), but enjoy it regardless.

I loved The Goddess. The story isn't the most original in the world - A single mother is forced to become a prostitute in order to support herself, but she wants a better life for her six year-old son and socks away enough money to send him to a good school. But rumors spread quickly about the mother's occupation and the boy is threatened with expulsion. Meanwhile, the mother must deal with a vicious pimp who won't let her leave the profession.

There's traces of Griffith's Intolerance in it. And perhaps more ironically, for a character who is ruined by gossip, the actress, Ruan Lingyu, would kill herself the year after this came out, supposedly due to tabloid gossip ruining her life. Ruan is a bit of a legend in China, kind of their Marilyn Monroe. I'd like to see more of her films.

I highly, highly recommend that you all check out The Goddess, especially if you have any interest at all in Silent film or Asian cinema. Add it to your lists or whatnot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_DXMCrB5Q8

My List:

The Apartment (1960) - Classic Billy Wilder, Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine - It IS shameful I haven't seen this. (Added 2/5/2014)

King Boxer: Five Fingers of Death (1972) - Getting more into classic Kung Fu. Also, this is apparently one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies. (Added 2/7/2014)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten; The Goddess (TOTAL: 77)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

I highly, highly recommend that you all check out The Goddess, especially if you have any interest at all in Silent film or Asian cinema. Add it to your lists or whatnot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_DXMCrB5Q8

I think I'll add it to my list soon now that I see it's on Youtube. Did you finish watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey? I liked that series so much I watched it all in a few weeks. And of course it gave me dozens of new films to see.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Dr. Caligari - I don't know if you're joking about The Trial being a courtroom drama or not (it's a Kafka adaptation), but enjoy it regardless.

Oh, I thought it was for some reason. Either way, it's freezing cold here and the perfect night to lay back and put on a movie.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Billy Wilder films all feel timeless.

Boogie Nights - I liked most aspects of the film but I found the story arc to be too familiar. I knew things would get very good for Dirk and then bottom out as no one would know where to draw the line concerning excesses. And then things would look up again and that's why I started finding the later scenes to be superfluous.

One thing that stuck out was the layers of Mark Wahlberg who plays Eddie Adams who nervously transforms into Dirk Diggler who then confidently plays Brock Landers.

Also, this one was ramming in about as many 70s songs as possible.

Also watched:

You Only Live Twice - Bond films are mostly predictable and this one is no exception. At times watching one of these films could be likened to eating plastic or cardboard. Thankfully, this one does set itself apart a little by having some 1960s Japanese settings and culture.

The writing is all about sex and death. I suppose that's what most pop culture is but it seems more transparent here than ever as scene after scene one or the other happens. The plot is similar to that of X-Men: First Class in that our main villain is trying to stoke the flames of war between the US and the USSR by stealing spacecraft.

Some highlights include Bond getting married and being shot dead. They may've carried a little more weight if we didn't have another nineteen films to go.

Probably one of the better opening themes as well.

Spartacus - It could be called a secular Ben-Hur and it feels influential on many "man against the world" films like Conan the Barbarian (1982), Braveheart and Gladiator. It captures the tenseness before the gladiator duels well.

The two turning points early on were Draba refusing to kill Spartacus and throwing his trident at the patricians viewing the spectacle and then what transpired after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB9MiarQb9g It's dangerous to turn slaves into trained killers.

There's a decent amount of politics and Charles Laughton playing the powerful senator really stood out among the rest of the cast. They could've ended this one a lot of different ways but they went with the somewhat downer ending of having Spartacus crucified as he watches his wife and son ride off.

Procrastination (106 completed):

#109 Man with a Movie Camera - Heard good things about this. 1/29/14

#110 The Word AKA Ordet - It's high on the TSPDT list. 1/29/14

new #112 Before Midnight - The third film. I wonder what part four will be titled. 2/9/14

new #113 The Unvanquished AKA Aparajito - Part two of the trilogy. 2/9/14

new #114 Late Spring - Ranked highly on many lists. 2/9/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 9, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Zogo, random number generator says "Embers AKA Sholay."

So I watched Top Gun and...

I hope this movie was supposed to be hilarious, because it was. Iceman biting at Maverick was gut-busting, and the volleyball scene was even better than I'd expected (mostly because of the music singing about "playing with the boys"). The character arc for Maverick was entirely predictable but the lines from everyone were delivered with such over-the-top sincerity. I should have guessed that they'd kill Goose. I think he and the lead teacher at the school were the only characters I really liked. Otherwise, the movie was a lot of Jerry Bruckheimer masturbating over planes, at it ended with a climactic battle against... someone for the purpose of... something. Eh, it was the Cold War, you didn't have to explain what communisty types wanted. The movie was incredibly silly but never boring.

There's only one entirely negative aspect to the movie, and that's the love subplot. It was downright creepy the way Maverick got the entire bar to sing at Kelly McGillis (I don't even remember her character's name) in unison, and then followed her into the women's room. She didn't even need to be in the movie; I'm pretty sure her only contribution was to go to Maverick during his PTSD and call him a chicken so he'd get back to it. I'd say the movie was decent except for the love subplot.

Rating: 2.5/4

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

101. Spartacus- In the end, aren't we all Spartacus? Yeah, I know how this one ends, but that's basically it. Also, I think it's popular among labor organizers.

102. Enchanted- I love Disney movies, but I also know their problems. I think this must have come out during the period when I was too old to be in Disney's target audience and too young to admit I still liked these sorts of movies without being embarrassed.

103. Judgment at Nuremberg- I had never heard about this until Slacktivist mentioned it. Sounds interesting.

104. Colours Trilogy- I don't know what this is, but it looks good and is popular around here.

105. First Blood- Rambo, but not so "Ramboey."

106. Hidden Fortress- I need another Kurosawa fix. I gather this wasn't his best, but I'm a big Star Wars fan.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012
Watch Blue, White and Red.

Dr Mabuse is a fullblown masterpiece. Not a dull moment despite a massive running time of four hours. Highly recommended to anyone.

1. Inception (2010)
2. Docks of New York (1928)
3. Atlantic City (1980)
4. Band of Outsiders (1964)
5. An Affair to Remember (1957)
6. Pather Panchali (1955)
7. Ossessione (1943)
8. The Black Cat (1934)
9. The Big Sky (1952)
10. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

De-shamed: The Red Shoes, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Steel Helmet, Dr. Mabuse