Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I just upgraded to mavericks today and I'm having a hell of a time with scrolling being unresponsive, stopping, stuttering.

I'm trying to scroll down a page and it'll go like two inches down and just stop. It doesn't keep scrolling if I am trying to get it to scroll further than just a few posts on the forums. It is also slow inside itunes and anything else I scroll on. It's terrible. Is there a fix that anybody knows about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

uggy posted:

I just upgraded to mavericks today and I'm having a hell of a time with scrolling being unresponsive, stopping, stuttering.

I'm trying to scroll down a page and it'll go like two inches down and just stop. It doesn't keep scrolling if I am trying to get it to scroll further than just a few posts on the forums. It is also slow inside itunes and anything else I scroll on. It's terrible. Is there a fix that anybody knows about?

What does your activity monitor say? Are you sure there isn't something else going on in the background that you're just seeing the effects of?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

benisntfunny posted:

What does your activity monitor say? Are you sure there isn't something else going on in the background that you're just seeing the effects of?

Don't think so. I did some googling and it seems like people have had this problem, typically in Chrome.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

uggy posted:

Don't think so. I did some googling and it seems like people have had this problem, typically in Chrome.

I've had something similar occur, mainly in browsers (or, more likely, that's where I notice it because I scroll around a lot). It just stops unless I try again a couple of times or if I explicitly places the pointer over the scroll bar and scrolls there. No idea what's causing it. At first I was afraid it was a trackpad issue, but the fact that it still tracks the mouse just fine and responds immediately if I place it somewhere more scroll-specific suggests that something simply loses track of the fact that I'm already over a scrollable area.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Switzerland posted:

I'm currently trying to log in to the Apple discussions forum, but keep getting stuck in a loop at this point:

I can enter anything in the Username field, and it just returns me to the same form, with variants of "username is already taken" or "An account utilizing this email address already exists" error messages.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Today around 3PM I got a mail saying that "Apple Support Communities will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on December 20th, 2013 at 10:00PM PT."
So maybe their servers traveled back in time and they are doing maintenence.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

JHVH-1 posted:

Today around 3PM I got a mail saying that "Apple Support Communities will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on December 20th, 2013 at 10:00PM PT."
So maybe their servers traveled back in time and they are doing maintenence.

Weird. I got the same email and figured it was some kind of phishing attempt, but couldn't find an angle.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Tippis posted:

I've had something similar occur, mainly in browsers (or, more likely, that's where I notice it because I scroll around a lot). It just stops unless I try again a couple of times or if I explicitly places the pointer over the scroll bar and scrolls there. No idea what's causing it. At first I was afraid it was a trackpad issue, but the fact that it still tracks the mouse just fine and responds immediately if I place it somewhere more scroll-specific suggests that something simply loses track of the fact that I'm already over a scrollable area.

Yup, this is the exact same thing that's happening to me. I've read that reinstalling chrome might help, or that keeping the scroll bar on the side on at all times can help too. I've tried the latter and it didn't work, I guess I'll try to reinstall Chrome, even though it happens at other times.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

eddiewalker posted:

Weird. I got the same email and figured it was some kind of phishing attempt, but couldn't find an angle.

Last time I looked (yesterday) there was a note on their forums page about upcoming maintenance also. I would assume that whoever sent out the notification email simply forgot to update the date.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.
Is Toast still the best way to author a DVD for playback in a conventional under-the-tv player? For the first time in about 3 years a family member wants a DVD burned.

Basically I want to go from a couple of avi files to a DVD (with menu) without losing quality over a 10 hour transcode.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So having used it for a couple of weeks, I've decided to completely convert to using Downcast for all my podcasts - however, I'm having trouble importing all my old episodes. I've copied all the episodes of a podcast into the proper directory in Downcast, but they just don't show up in the application itself. Has anybody else encountered this?

Edit: Oof, as usual I found the solution 10 seconds after hitting post: drag the episodes onto the application window instead of being a clever dick and putting them in the directory myself.

TACD fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 31, 2014

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

BobHoward posted:

Do you come from a Windows background by any chance? For what it's worth, in unix land the terminology is user accounts. There are also groups, to which users may belong.

:words:
This is great, great stuff - thanks. And yeah, I've been on a mac for the past 5 years but previously it was all-Windows. Up until now I've never had to know anything about user accounts, hence my ignorance.

I think for my purposes here I'm just going to have to run sudo chown –R myusername directory. They aren't system files I'm dealing with, they're photos, and I've got a ton of them. Lightroom won't let me export anything unless I change them one-by-one, it's pretty terrible.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Having some problems. I tried to reinstall OSX following a guide on youtube. Everything seemed fine after I erased the previous installation, but now if the OSX installer (run from the old recovery partition, or the internet recovery) will fail with "An error occurred while installing OSX". I would do a USB install but I don't know anyone else that has a Mac that would let me setup the USB key, is there some way to do it on Windows?

Are there any other recovery/installation options other than the internet and recovery partition?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I don't know of any way to make a USB installer from Windows which doesn't involve :filez: at some level.

When you're booted into the recovery partition or internet recovery, you can run Disk Utility. It's under one of the menus after the installer / recovery OS boots. Run it and click on your disk; does it say "S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified" at the bottom? What happens if you then click the "Verify Disk" button?

It's not totally clear from your post, so: have you tried completely reformatting the partition? Before you kick off an installation, run Disk Utility, click the partition you're going to install to, select the Erase tab, leave it on Mac OS Extended (Journaled), give it whatever name you like, and click the Erase button.

(Is it a spinny disk, or a SSD? If it's a hard drive and installation fails again after erasing the partition and starting over, you could try doing an erase again but this time use the "Erase free space..." button then configure it to write zeroes (one pass). HDDs having problems with a few bad sectors can sometimes be resurrected by overwriting every sector, which gives the drive a chance to remap spares good sectors in place of the bad. Be prepared for a full HDD erase to take many hours. Also this is by no means foolproof, if a drive has lots of bad sectors it's probably on the way to total failure and this will be at best a temporary measure.)

Finally, if the installation gets to a point where it is doing stuff with a progress bar, you can hit Command-L to open a log window. Set it to display all logs and let it progress till it fails. There will be a lot of stuff that looks like errors even in a healthy install, so focus on what happens right before it gives up. Note that if you have the log window open and in the foreground it will not allow automatic reboots that are part of the installation process to take place, just close it to proceed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BobHoward posted:

I don't know of any way to make a USB installer from Windows which doesn't involve :filez: at some level.

If you have a serial, you can legally download a Windows 7 install ISO from Digital River. There are several tools to turn that into a USB installer.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 2, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

eddiewalker posted:

If you have a serial, you can legally download a Windows 7 install ISO from Digital River. There are several tools to turn that into a USB installer.

You realize this is the Mac OS X thread and he's talking about making a Mac OS X USB installer?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

BobHoward posted:

When you're booted into the recovery partition or internet recovery, you can run Disk Utility. It's under one of the menus after the installer / recovery OS boots. Run it and click on your disk; does it say "S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified" at the bottom? What happens if you then click the "Verify Disk" button?

It's not totally clear from your post, so: have you tried completely reformatting the partition? Before you kick off an installation, run Disk Utility, click the partition you're going to install to, select the Erase tab, leave it on Mac OS Extended (Journaled), give it whatever name you like, and click the Erase button.

(Is it a spinny disk, or a SSD? If it's a hard drive and installation fails again after erasing the partition and starting over, you could try doing an erase again but this time use the "Erase free space..." button then configure it to write zeroes (one pass). HDDs having problems with a few bad sectors can sometimes be resurrected by overwriting every sector, which gives the drive a chance to remap spares good sectors in place of the bad. Be prepared for a full HDD erase to take many hours. Also this is by no means foolproof, if a drive has lots of bad sectors it's probably on the way to total failure and this will be at best a temporary measure.)

Finally, if the installation gets to a point where it is doing stuff with a progress bar, you can hit Command-L to open a log window. Set it to display all logs and let it progress till it fails. There will be a lot of stuff that looks like errors even in a healthy install, so focus on what happens right before it gives up. Note that if you have the log window open and in the foreground it will not allow automatic reboots that are part of the installation process to take place, just close it to proceed.

:filez: is really easy but hmm, not :filez:.

How about using a trial version of Windows and Virtualbox USB passthrough?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

crazysim posted:

How about using a trial version of Windows and Virtualbox USB passthrough?

Guess I should have quoted BigHandsVince for better context, since I got two people with that one

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BigHandsVince posted:

Having some problems. I tried to reinstall OSX following a guide on youtube. Everything seemed fine after I erased the previous installation, but now if the OSX installer (run from the old recovery partition, or the internet recovery) will fail with "An error occurred while installing OSX". I would do a USB install but I don't know anyone else that has a Mac that would let me setup the USB key, is there some way to do it on Windows?

Are there any other recovery/installation options other than the internet and recovery partition?

"But now if the osx installer will fail" sounds like loving moon man talk. Did you mean to say "Gee guys, I tried to follow this lovely youtube video that kind of tells you how to reinstall OS X on some kind of Mac, but I wound up reformatting my hard drive in a way that keeps OS X from installing properly? And I won't tell you the model of Mac or the OS X version because its in no way important? Is there some way to set up an OS X USB installer on Windows?'

Did you try taking your unknowable Mac machine to the Fruit Stand to maybe get some help from them? Because with this extremely undetailed low effort post it's going to be drat impossible to post an informed reply.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

So I've got a question about a weird situation I just found myself in. My macbook pro was suffering from the "no goo boot image" four beep failure, so I flushed the NVRAM and it starts fine now. But I also have a guest account in addition to my account, and it didn't fail on startup, it failed when I tried to log into my account. I could log into the guest account no problem. Shouldn't the only thing in NVRAM be whatever image is necessary to get you to the login screen? Why would flushing NVRAM fix a problem I was having after getting to the login screen? Am I misunderstanding how OSX handles boot images? Also the system is encrypted with file vault 2 if that matters.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

door Door door posted:

So I've got a question about a weird situation I just found myself in. My macbook pro was suffering from the "no goo boot image" four beep failure, so I flushed the NVRAM and it starts fine now. But I also have a guest account in addition to my account, and it didn't fail on startup, it failed when I tried to log into my account. I could log into the guest account no problem. Shouldn't the only thing in NVRAM be whatever image is necessary to get you to the login screen? Why would flushing NVRAM fix a problem I was having after getting to the login screen? Am I misunderstanding how OSX handles boot images? Also the system is encrypted with file vault 2 if that matters.

I'm not exactly sure of the scenario you've described, but for edification, the file vault 2 login screen is implemented as an EFI application, i.e. it's part of the boot loader and is stored in the unencrypted recovery partition on your disk. Once you enter the password, the key to the true OS X installation on your main partition is computed and then OS X starts booting.

I imagine that the login screen EFI application will look at certain keys in NVRAM, and if they're messed up it might have trouble decrypting the boot partition for certain accounts.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

door Door door posted:

Guest accounts are different with FileVault 2 enabled. As chimz explained, a real user's password must be entered into the EFI based login screen in order to decrypt and boot your main partition. The guest account has no password, so it can't do this. Apple's workaround is that with FV2 on, logging in as guest actually boots the recovery partition (which isn't encrypted) in a special guest account mode.

Guest accounts can normally do a significant number of things, but because it's the recovery partition and nothing on your main partition is available, the FV2 guest account is restricted to just Safari. (And silently phoning home if you have iCloud and Find My Mac set up.)

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Ah didn't realize the first login screen when File Vault is active was an EFI thing, and having keys in NVRAM would explain why it couldn't decrypt the partition for my account. Also explains why the guest account has to restart before it can be loaded. Thanks for the info.

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
any great software for keeping a local folder synced with a remote one, and vice versa? I am looking for a single piece of software to publish changes made to local html files to my web server, and to keep my Music folders synced between the laptop I travel with and my MacMini at home.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Transmit, ChronoSync, Dropbox, and BitTorrent Sync are just a few apps to start.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Runoir posted:

any great software for keeping a local folder synced with a remote one, and vice versa? I am looking for a single piece of software to publish changes made to local html files to my web server, and to keep my Music folders synced between the laptop I travel with and my MacMini at home.

Beyond compare v4 just went beta for mac. It's pretty good at syncing.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Runoir posted:

I'm not sure why you want to use a single piece of software for this? There are tools designed around pushing changed local files to a web server, like Coda or Transmit, and iTunes does not really want you to do that using the file system. It would rather you use iTunes Match.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

I'm not sure why you want to use a single piece of software for this? There are tools designed around pushing changed local files to a web server, like Coda or Transmit, and iTunes does not really want you to do that using the file system. It would rather you use iTunes Match.

You could probably sync the whole library directory though and it would be happy loading it up. (I use iTunes match myself but can see how people might not want to go that route)

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

the_lion posted:

I just want to say thank you for this. I've been using ChronoSync to take care of my scheduled backups, but it keeps on screwing up mounting of remote shares. Looks like I'll finally have a new utility to try.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 3, 2014

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

the_lion posted:

I have waited so long for this. Beyond Compare is one of the best developer tools I've ever purchased. Glad to see it finally arriving on OSX.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Fistful of Silence posted:

I just want to say thank you for this. I've been using ChronoSync to take care of my scheduled backups, but it keeps on screwing up mounting of remote shares. Looks like I'll finally have a new utility to try.

jink posted:

I have waited so long for this. Beyond Compare is one of the best developer tools I've ever purchased. Glad to see it finally arriving on OSX.

It's great, it really is. You just need to upgrade your license-either switching to mac or a slightly more expensive multi platform license.

Twice I have ran into "out of memory" errors in the beta. If you have these, OSX will probably pop a window asking you to force quit apps immediately. These popups crashed my machine both times.

To be fair, this happens on all platforms and is the same in similar apps if you are syncing millions of files. I had to break it into two separate smaller pieces.

The beta is still 100% better than some of the crap alternatives I tried in the past. Until the beta the best I found was to boot a VM just to run beyond compare in windows...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

Transmit, ChronoSync, Dropbox, and BitTorrent Sync are just a few apps to start.
If you don't mind a cloud service like Dropbox there's Box's 50GB promo right now if you have an iOS device. 250MB per file limit but I'm not sure if that'll matter for your use.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

japtor posted:

If you don't mind a cloud service like Dropbox there's Box's 50GB promo right now if you have an iOS device. 250MB per file limit but I'm not sure if that'll matter for your use.

Am I missing something, or did that promo expire 2 years ago?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Legdiian posted:

Am I missing something, or did that promo expire 2 years ago?
They just released new iOS apps so they were advertising it again

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My friend's got a 2011 MacBook Pro that he's putting a new SSD disk into. His plan is to use some sort of Icy Box to clone the old disk, before putting the new disk into the laptop. Will he also need the original CD to install MacOS or will the cloning sort all that out? The reason I'm asking is that he can't find the old CD. Also, is there anything else he needs to remember before he starts this whole project?

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
How easy is it to export passwords from iCloud Keychain to use in another service? If I have to use a script, that's fine.

I've finally decided to stop using two passwords for everything and get a password manager. I figured iCloud Keychain would be the easiest and cheapest thing to start with since every device I own can use it. However, I'd like to know that I can easily migrate my new unmemorable passwords to another program or service later if I want to. Google only seems to return how to move passwords INTO Keychain, though. I see an export option in the Keychain file menu, but it's always greyed out.

And if you want, feel free to explain why I should use something else now and not bother with Keychain.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don't need an install disk if you're cloning the drive.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
You also don't need an install disc for Mavericks, because it's freely available from the App Store, and a 2011 MBP probably came with Lion on it, so they should probably upgrade/have upgraded to Mavericks.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

CKyle posted:

How easy is it to export passwords from iCloud Keychain to use in another service? If I have to use a script, that's fine.

I've finally decided to stop using two passwords for everything and get a password manager. I figured iCloud Keychain would be the easiest and cheapest thing to start with since every device I own can use it. However, I'd like to know that I can easily migrate my new unmemorable passwords to another program or service later if I want to. Google only seems to return how to move passwords INTO Keychain, though. I see an export option in the Keychain file menu, but it's always greyed out.

And if you want, feel free to explain why I should use something else now and not bother with Keychain.
The only good thing I've gotten out of using iCloud Keychain is wireless passwords being synced across devices. Why Apple doesn't advertise this fact is beyond me.

That said, iCloud Keychain only works for Safari. Use a different browser? You're SOL. Using the Facebook iOS app rather than their mobile site? SOL.

That's why independent password managers like 1Password and LastPass are still recommended. Both are able to export should you switch later down the road.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

You also don't need an install disc for Mavericks, because it's freely available from the App Store, and a 2011 MBP probably came with Lion on it, so they should probably upgrade/have upgraded to Mavericks.

I have a 2011 MBP and installed an SSD where the original drive was and then installed the old drive where the DVD was by using one of those bracket kits.

I just started the install from the old drive and installed onto the new to start fresh. If you clone, it that should work too. Since its a mac though you can easily put the old drive in a USB/Lightening/Firewire case of some sort and boot off the old one if needed. You can also put together a USB install partition, or use the existing recovery partition followed by upgrading it. So there are plenty of options, and since the download is free you just need something bootable to start with.

So basically what I meant to say before all those words is clone should work fine, but you will want to make sure you get the whole drive including recovery partition (but you can always attach the old drive in a pinch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I've got a 2011 MBP 8gb of ram and an SSD running Mavericks. If I open up my dropbox folder in finder its really fast and acts how I would expect it too. If I open any app ( to open a word document for example ) and navigate to the dropbox folder it takes forever for anything to show up. It's not only the dropbox folder and it's not every single time but its probably 50/50. Any ideas what this could be?